Every End Marks A New Beginning

You Are Not Alone

 

"Umma! Appa! Look out!" You cried, pointing in front of you. The blue car suddenly jerked forward as your father slammed his foot on the brakes. 

 

Your mother yelped in fear as the car came dangerously close to the dead animal on the side of the street. It was hard to see in the darkness, as it was past midnight, but the car's headlights illuminated the corpse. It was a deer. Its eyes stared blankly at the sky, and its legs were bent in an awkward position. Blood was still flowing from the deer, indicating that it had just recently been hit. Just looking at it brought you close to tears. Who could have done such a thing? It was one thing to hit an animal, but another to just leave it to die in the street. At the very least, the person who had murdered the deer should have called an animal association. He or she should have called and asked them what to do. He or she should have buried the poor deer.

 

You could feel your anger rising along with your sorrow. Your spine tingled as angry tears filled your eyes. Without letting your eyes leave the animal, you prepared to open the car door---

 

And then suddenly it blinked. Your family stared in awe as you watched the deer blink once, and then again. Your father slowly set the car into parking, never breaking eye contact with the deer. You could feel your face grow hot. Not only did the damn person hit the deer, but that person also left the deer half alive. It was slowly dying. You were witnessing its final moments. The hot tears began to flow down your face.

 

"Umma," you said, your voice cracking. "It's still alive. What do we do?" 

 

"Hana.." your mother said softly. She and her husband turned around to face you, who was sitting in the backseat. 

 

"The person who hit the deer left it alive!" you cried angrily. "And now it's suffering! It's dying! What do we do?" 

 

Your mother and father looked at each other uncertainly. "Hana.." 

 

"We have to help it." you said, brushing your tears away angrily. "Let's call someone for help, please?" 

 

Your mother gently took your hand in hers. "Listen to us Hana. I know you don't want to hear this, but--" 

 

"Yoo Jin," your father suddenly gasped. "Look!" He shook his wife's shoulder and pointed at the street. You and your mother looked at the deer once more.

 

It was blinking more rapidly now, and its chest was rising up and falling back down at a steady pace. You and your mother gasped as the deer slowly moved its legs. 

 

"What is it doing, honey?" your mother said softly. "It can't be.. that.. right?"

 

"I don't know," your father whispered. His eyes were glued to the deer. "I think... I think it is. It's not me." 

 

Your eyes remained transfixed on the deer. You were afraid that if your eyes left the deer for one moment, then something bad would happen. You don't know why, but you couldn't shake off the feeling that whatever was happening was not... natural. 

 

Your father suddenly turned to you. "Hana," he said, a little sternly. "Listen to what I'm about to say, okay?" 

 

You nodded, still staring at the deer, which was now slowly stretching all four legs. 

 

"Before I tell you, let me ask this. Do you know what this deer is doing? Do you understand?" 

 

You glanced at your father quickly before looking back at the deer. "No, appa. I don't know what's going on. Is it ressurecting or something?" You shook your head. "I've only seen that happen in movies." 

 

"Sehun-ah! I told you our daughter was clueless. We should have let her out more. She knows nothing about the real world!" Your mother snapped.

 

"You know very well why we cannot do that!"

 

Your mother groaned. "We've been over this a thousand times! There is no way to know if they were going to harm her or not! The prophecy only said..." Your mother broke off abruptly, glancing at you uncertainly. It was like she just noticed that you were in the car with them. Then again, this was one of the rare times that your parents took you out. You were never allowed to go outside, but it didn't bother you much. The mansion had all you could ever wish for. 

 

You suddenly stopped staring at the deer and glanced at your parents. "What are you talking about? Is this about me? What prophecy are you talking about? I never heard about any of this!" 

 

Your parents glanced at each other again. "Darling, we can't tell you..." your father bit his lip in frustration. "It would only worry you."

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"We can't... we can't tell you.." 

 

Your voice began to raise as you grew more and more impatient. "I thought you were going to tell me something important earlier! Fine then, appa. YOU tell me then. What is the deer doing?" 

 

"It.." He glanced nervously at your mother, who nodded slowly. He glanced back at you, and then his eyes darted to his wife once again. She nodded again. "Tell her, Sehun. She deserves to know."

 

"Know what?" you were becoming scared. Usually, you didn't talk or nag this much, but when you were nervous, your mouth seemed to have a mind of its own.  

 

"The deer.. it.." He struggled to find the right words. "Ah, just look at it for a moment. I'll tell you afterwards." 

 

You turned your gaze to the deer. Your jaw dropped as you realized that it was still alive. "It's not dead yet?" You could feel those sad feelings bubbling up again. But something was wrong. It didn't look like it was dying anymore. The deer was no longer bleeding, either. There was something strange with this whole process. If it had been dying, shouldn't it have been collapsing, not getting up? The deer was now struggling to stand. It wobbled violently as it planted its two front hooves on the ground, trying to push its body up. The Lee family watched in dead silence. 

 

As the deer began to stand, it seemed to grow more confidence, and clicked its hind legs into place, behind its front legs. The deer stood like that for a few minutes, and then took its first hesitant step. When it did not fall, the deer turned to face the Lee family. It bowed, and you gasped, breaking the silence at last. 

 

"Appa, did it just bow at you?" you whispered hurriedly.

 

"Er, well..." your father said nervously. "Umm.. Well..." 

 

"Appa? Please tell me. I'm not sure of anything anymore, after today's experiences. What is going on?" 

 

"Sehun.. we have to tell her sooner or later. We might as well tell her now, when the memory is still fresh. That is when it is the most believable.." 

 

"You're right Yoo Jin... I suppose we do have to tell her." He turned to you, and you suddenly felt very anxious. What kind of news was your father going to break to you? It couldn't be that bad... right? "Hana, you know that we love you very much right?" 

 

Your palms turned sweaty. Where was this conversation going..? "Yeah, but what is this about, Appa?" You could see that the deer was still standing there on the street, watching your family. Suddenly, it turned to face the other side of the street, and prepared to cross.

 

"NO!" You shouted, unbuckling your seatbelt. You shoved the car door open and ran at the deer. "Don't cross! It's dangerous!" You screamed at the top of your lungs. Although you had absolutely no idea what was going on, how that deer had recovered, or what your parents were talking about, you knew one thing: that deer would get killed if you let it go out onto the street by itself. And at that moment, that was all that mattered. The deer had magically recovered. You were not about to let it get killed again if you could help it. Life is precious. There is no reason why anything should die. You just had to save it. 

 

"Hana, no!" your mother cried in horror. Your parents immediately unbuckled their seatbelts as well and followed suit. They ran towards you, waving their arms crazily. "Come back here, Hana! There is a car coming!" 

 

You stopped suddenly, realizing how much danger you had put you and your parents in. But you were just trying to save the deer... There was a car in the distance, racing towards you.. 

 

You knew you only had a split second to make your decision. You glanced at the deer quickly. It had taken a couple steps forward, and was now staring at you stupidly. Your mother and father were still running towards you. You knew that if you retreated and left the deer alone, it would get hit. It was still too weak to run away. The most that the deer could do at the moment was limp slowly...

 

Before you could change your mind, you dashed at the deer, and began to gently but firmly push it towards the other side. Either the deer understood that it was not supposed to be on the street, or it just didn't like being pushed around. Either way, the deer began to slowly make its way across the large street. You guided it, speaking soothing words and petting its fur while it dragged itself across the road, with your help. You glanced fearfully at the incoming car. It was getting closer... But surely the driver would stop, right? 

 

"Hana!" your father yelled. "Come back here now! Your life is more important! Please come back!" 

 

"Go back, appa, umma! I'll be fine! You keep yourself safe, too! The road is dangerous!" you shouted without looking backwards. 

 

The deer suddenly glanced up at you, and you could've sworn that it smiled at you. You stared at it, eyes wide open, as you tried to comprehend what had just happened. The deer gently nudged you with its head, bringing you back to reality. It turned its head forward, pulling you along, as it continued to cross the road. You pushed aside your confused thoughts as you continued focusing on bringing the deer across. You were almost there.. when you turned to look at the nearby vehicle. It was coming at top speed. All you needed was a few more seconds.. a few more seconds... 

 

"NO!" your parents screamed. They already knew that you did not have enough time. They raced towards you without thinking. There was no logic behind their acts. They simply had to do something. They couldn't stand back and watch their baby die. 

 

"Not enough time," you muttered. "Not enough." You suddenly mustered up all your strength, and pushed the deer with all your might. It stumbled forward, reaching the end of the street. It was safe. 

 

You could feel the heat that was emitting from the car even before it touched you. You knew you couldn't escape in time. You knew already, even before you pushed the deer across. "Was it worth it?" you wondered to yourself. Was it worth dying to save a deer?

 

No, it wasn't, but what's done is done. 

 

The impact hit you, and you flew across the road, onto the other side, where the deer was. 

 

You opened your eyes a few moments later, shocked to see that you were still alive. 

 

But wait, what were you doing here? You were supposed to be splattered all over the road...

 

And then you saw it. 

 

Your parents. 

 

They were lying on the road. 

 

With their hands still entertwined. 

 

They had taken your place. 

 

They had pushed you out of the way at the last second, taking the hit themselves.

 

Your mother, who had given birth to you.

 

Your father, who had raised you to be a kindhearted daughter.

 

They were the only people you had in your life. They were the only ones that were always there for you. 

 

They had saved your life.

 

And you had murdered them. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

LOL I know you all are probably like " TF does a deer have to do with a B.A.P romance story..." 

 

Well, this is just the introduction. Sorry it seems off topic :X But It's not!! It's super, super , SUPER relevant. :D And plus, I felt like i needed this to get started. I promise that something B.A.P related will happen in Chapter 2! Maybe.