25.

Playing Perfection

“Kim Myungsoo, please let go of my hand.”

“Why? I thought you liked it when we held hands.”

“Yes, but you’re squeezing my hand so hard that its gone numb.”

He reluctantly let go but instead clung to her waist like a koala and its tree. “I’m just nervous, okay?” he reasoned, holding her tightly.

“You’re nervous?” Sungyeol said in disbelief. “I’m their nephew and I’m not even nervous.”

“They’re just my parents, Myung.” Si Yeon added, trying to calm him down. “They’re nice people.”

“That’s not what I’m worried about.” Myungsoo bit his lip in apprehension. “I need to make a good first impression otherwise your parents will never let me marry you.”

“What!?” Si Yeon exclaimed as Sungyeol laughed uncontrollably. Shaking out of his grasp she waved a finger, “Don’t talk about marriage when I’m not even halfway through college!”

“Well it’s going to happen anyway so why not plan early?”

It was a slow night at the airport with only businessmen and staff shuffling past the terminals. At the oddball time of four A.M. the three were currently waiting for Si Yeon’s parents to arrive since they were on vacation. The windows revealed a pitch black sky with blue airplane lights flashing back and forth.

“I told you not to come with us.” Si Yeon scolded lightly. “You have an early schedule and it’s enough that Sungyeol is losing sleep.”

“But I wanted to come, I didn’t want to miss your face when you see your parents.” He reasoned, resting his chin on her shoulder. “But it’s sweet of you to care about my health.”

“Oh look, the gates opened!” Sungyeol was still full of energy as he ran towards the exiting passengers. The couple simply walked behind, finding it unnecessary to exert so much effort so early in the morning.

Si Yeon smiled as she made eye contact for the first time with her parents in months. She instantly flung into her mother’s arms, missing her warmth. Her dad, a short balding man, gave a wrinkly smile as he lovingly kissed his daughter’s forehead. Sungyeol got teary as he approached his Aunt and Uncle, apologizing for not being able to call all these years.

“Si Yeonnie, Korean products have made your skin so clear!” her mother praised, her cheek.

“Mom,” she muttered, embarrassed. Jerking Myungsoo by the arm she said, “This is the guy I’ve been telling you about.”

Myungsoo forced himself to act composed as he offered a charming smile, bowing a perfect ninety degrees. “Hello, Mother and Father. It’s nice to meet you.”

“So, this is your celebrity boyfriend?” Si Yeon’s father clapped Myungsoo on the back so hard that it looked like his shoulder fractured as he forced himself to conceal the pain. “Where’s the cameras? Isn’t this guy the visual? I thought we’d have a grand entrance to our home country!”

“Dad, you do realize it’s four o’clock in Korea, right?” Si Yeon deadpanned. “Besides if you really need a photographer we always have Myungsoo.”

“And I always thought you were just a pretty boy!” her dad said, impressed.

Myungsoo blushed, his head low. “Thank you, I promise to take good care of your daughter.”

“Let’s get going, shall we?” Sungyeol said excitedly, holding his aunt’s overly large duffel bag.

“Wait!” her mom shouted, causing everyone to jump in surprise. “We’re waiting for one more person!”

“One more?” Si Yeon asked in confusion. At that moment a young lady stepped out of the terminal, her long blonde hair and western face made her stand out like an angel amongst all the Koreans. Her black eyes sparkled at the sight of the stricken Si Yeon . “Aurelie?” Ripping away from Myungsoo’s grip she hugged her old friend tightly. “Oh my gosh how did you get here!?”

“I hopped on a plane, dummy.” Aurelie joked, cupping Si Yeon’s face. “Damn, your skin is so white. I gotta start drinking the water here.”

“Actually, the water here’s contaminated.”

Aurelie raised an eyebrow at Sungyeol, probably due to his overbearing attitude and extraordinary height. Was it true, this guy was really famous here? He reminded her more of those annoying children that you wanted to avoid at family parties. “That’s your cousin?” she asked, pointing impolitely.

Despite the vast distance between Aurelie and Sungyeol he still managed to put on a happy grin. “Hello!” he screamed in English.

Aurelie gave a look of are-you-freaking-kidding-me and responded, “I’m French, you idiot.” But to her joy Sungyeol didn’t understand a single thing so he continued to smile dumbly.

Si Yeon couldn’t help but laugh as Sungyeol continued to grin since he had no idea what her friend was saying. “Be nice.” She warned the French girl.

Aurelie playfully rolled her eyes, turning over to the quieter boy. “And this is your boy-toy?” not bothering to wait for introductions she went forward to shake his hand. “It’s Myungsoo, right? I like that black on black outfit you got going on, it’s very chic.”

He didn’t know French but once he grabbed the words “black” and “chic” he smiled smugly and gave a small nod of appreciation.

“Don’t flatter him.” Si Yeon said, wanting to wipe that grin off his handsome face. “You’ll increase his already over-inflated ego.”

“Hey, what did you just say?” Myungsoo asked, impatiently tugging on her shirt sleeve.

“I said that you’re really good-looking and I’m really lucky to have a boyfriend like you.” Si Yeon lied, smiling sweetly. “Let’s go home.”

 

The next day they ate lunch at a local restaurant by Si Yeon’s university. It was just her parents and Aurelie for today and hopefully dinner at Sungyeol’s parent’s house later. It was very crowded today as they squeezed themselves inside.

“Can’t I just use a fork?” Aurelie whined, watering at the steamy shrimp dumplings.

“This place is very traditional, they won’t have forks. Just try the chopsticks.” Si Yeon replied calmly, using her own pair to eat her squid. She smiled in satisfaction, knowing she was a chopstick expert now.

Si Yeon’s father was trying to teach Aurelie but she was extremely impatient. “I think I got this.” She said.

“Fighting!” her mom cheered.

Aurelie reached for the nearest dumpling and luckily grasped it between her metal chopsticks. Not wanting to waste time she hurriedly dipped it in the soy sauce, only to have it plop inside and tip the bowl to the floor besides someone’s feet. Next to their table was now a brown puddle of brown liquid nearly drowning someone’s silver flats. Si Yeon blinked in recognition. Oh, the irony.

“Well, .” Aurelie didn’t mind swearing since no one was French, and quickly reached for a napkin to wipe the floor. Her eyes traveled up the paid of glossy pale legs who was still standing in the muddle. Aurelie stared apologetically at the furious young lady and dabbed at her shoes. “Sorry.”

The young lady looked ready to pounce as she turned blue in the face. When she was about to scream at the girl Si Yeon immediately stood up, the chair mercilessly scratching the floor.

“Cha Hwi, don’t.” she said evenly.

Cha Hwi’s head snapped up in the familiarity of the voice and immediately turned white. She dared one more look at the French girl before looking at Si Yeon. Memories of each other re-flooded in their minds as they made eyecontact. Cha Hwi bowed hesitantly at her parents, feeling uncomfortable.

“It was an accident, right Cha Hwi?” Si Yeon said brightly, trying to smile. “No need to cry over spilled soy sauce.”

Although bitter, Cha Hwi managed to smile back like a mature adult. “Right.” With a final bow she her heel and left the restaurant, the scene all too familiar.

“Who was that?” her mother asked, forcing her daughter to look away from the swinging door.

“She’s a friend.”

 

“Sungjong!” Si Yeon cried, immediately running into the maknae’s arms. They were finally at her Aunt’s house, also known as Sungyeol’s mother. They were having an extremely late dinner since Infinite’s recording got extended, but nevertheless they all managed to meet up as one big family.

Myungsoo pulled Sungjong gently by the collar and opened his arms expectantly. “Excuse me? Greeting the other members before me, you hug my dongseang before your own boyfriend? I’m offended.” He pouted.

Si Yeon met eyes with Dongwoo who was returning her mischievous smile and reached for her hand. “Hi Dongwoo-oppa—”

“Get back here—I’m not done with you!” Myungsoo swiftly pulled her by the waist and placed her in her rightful place—his arms. He felt proud because he finally mastered the ropes of controlling his girlfriend. “Shut up.” He said despite Si Yeon not saying anything.

“Haven’t you heard of ‘save the best for last’?” she asked playfully.

“And haven’t you heard of ‘the boyfriend’s always first otherwise he’ll get jealous?” he retorted, pressing his lips to her forehead. Although he was dead tired like the rest of s a natural glow emitted from his aura. “Baby, I couldn’t stop thinking about you all day, I’ve missed you so much.”

Quickly falling for his sweet nothings she dug her head deeper into his chest. “I’ve missed you too.” She replied softly.

“You two are so clingy.” Aurelie made a face of disgust and looked away.

“Actually, I think they’re pretty cute.”

To Aurelie’s surprise someone actually responded to her, and in French. It felt good to hear her mother tongue once more. She smilled gratefully at Si Yeon’s father. “You think so?” she asked.

Her father broke into a light chuckle. “Oh, I don’t think so. I was just translating for this young man when he asked what you were saying.”

Hoya immediately tensed up at the mention of him and turned away, cursing himself for letting curiosity get the best of him. He glanced at the blonde, his ears turning pink. “My name is Aurelie.” She said daftly, not bothering to attempt speaking Korean.

“C’mon Howon, communicate.” Si Yeon’s father encouraged.

The two young adults looked away from their peacemaker, embarrassed by the language barrier. At least they were awkward together.

“Guys, let’s eat!” Woohyun yelled out, him and Sunggyu carrying steaming hot plates of barbeque. The large party gathered around the small table, the food made by the two mothers overflowing from the sides.

Sungyeol’s mother led the evening prayer, the room falling in silence. Once she said “amen” her son was the first one to grab a plate and dig in, probably missing his mother’s home made cooking.

Myungsoo and Si Yeon pressed their backs against the walls, giggling softly at the boys who were eating like a ravenous wolf pack. While everyone was distracted Myungsoo took the initiative to grab her hand, interlocking pinkies. “I love you.” He mouthed tenderly, his doe-brown eyes sparkling with affection.

She stood on her tiptoes and delivered a chaste kiss to his cheek, offering him a physical reply to his dreamy words. Everything that Si Yeon wanted was right in front of her. The warm atmosphere, the scenery, the people, everything. Feeling spoiled and lucky, she wondered how a girl like her could end up with such a heavenly fate.

If I hadn’t run into Sungjong at the convenience store I don’t know if it would still be like this. She mentally shook her head at her useless thoughts. It happened, thankfully, and that’s all that mattered.

Si Yeon looked down at her hands which were still laced with Myungsoos who met her gaze with a loving smile. “I love you.” He said again, wanting to remind her over and over.

Even though there was no such thing as perfection, at that moment everything seemed absolutely perfect.

 

 

Were you guys shocked that I ended it? Um, wow guys. It's done, finishing a story always gives me a bittersweet feeling because the people you interact with won't be with you for a long time. I want to thank you guys for being with Si Yeon and Myungsoo on this journey, you were a small group but nevertheless it felt like a cool little club to me. I enjoyed our time together *sniff* If you ever want to talk you can always PM me! 

And if you want to see me sooner, I have another Myungsoo fic published, The Perks of Being an Angel. This is certainly different from my other genres but regardless if you want to have more Myungsoo/OC feels you're more than welcome!

But, my computer's trashed. I thankfully saved this last chapter and the first four chapters of my new fic, but updates will either come late or the first chapter until next month. I want to die because all my other fanfics are there too which I haven't published (ie. my Boyfriend story which needs to be completed after a year!) 

Again thank you, this was my first Infinite fic and certainly won't be my last :) 

~sendohime