To You

Shall We Live Like This?

 

 

 

 

 

 

To You

 


ByungHun had sat down on one of the wobbly dining chairs with a look of worry about what was to come. On the other hand, YooRa was acting as though she’d done this a hundred times before. Putting a hand on his shoulder, the blonde directed. “Lean over a bit more.”

Through being forcedly bent to the side, the words “I’m not a contortionist,” strained.

Jabbing the tweezers towards his face, the female growled. “I’m going to end up puncturing your lung if you don’t move out of the way.”

“You’re hurting me.” He continued to whine from his discombobulated stretch, folded to the side position as his right arm flailed above his head.

“Stop being a wimp.”

The guest snapped. Baring his teeth, the younger boy barked. “I’ll bend you over and stick something in you, shall I?!”

Waving off the comment she found hilarious, YooRa spared a glance before readying the hand hovering above the wound. “You can try it, but I doubt you’d reach.”

 


 

Around twenty five minutes passed after YooRa had finished playing doctor. Her patient was now half clothed and sat sulking on the sofa while the apartment owner faffed about in the open plan space that was pretending to be a kitchen. Pausing momentarily, the girl called out to her guest. “How’s the pain? Are you ok to eat?”

Pouting, ByungHun didn’t even look over. “I hope your cooking is better than your supposed ‘being gentle’.”

Slamming the cupboard door, the blonde yelled. “Anyone would think that this is some kind of day spa. I’m doing this because I’m a decent person and all you’ve done is .”

Ignoring the female calling out his attitude, ByungHun twiddled the hem of the shirt that was too big for him. “Hey, YooRa?”

“What?” She huffed while pulling a knife from the wooden holding block.

Daring to peek over his shoulder with raised brows, the brunette wondered. “What are you making?”

“Chicken and mushroom broth laced with arsenic.” She replied flatly without removing her eyes from the ingredients on the counter.

“I can tell you don’t have many friends.”

Tensing at the remark, the blonde paused. Pushing the words aside, she plucked a smoke from the carton beside the tray of mushrooms. “I don’t have many friends because I choose to have it that way.” Throwing down the pot that had been in her hand, the blonde pointed at the boy and rubbed the back of her hair crazily. “But then again, you must be right. I was so desperate for someone to talk to a picked up a thug and saved his from bleeding out all over the sidewalk.”

Blinking at the outburst, ByungHun lowered his tone. “Uh, I was joking.”

“HAAR-HAR-HAR” She mocked with dull, blatant sarcasm as she spun around and she pulled a pack of shredded chicken from the wonky fridge.

A silence crept up on the pair, only the sound of a pot clinking off the top of the stove and then vicious chopping filled the humid apartment. That was, until the front door slammed open and banged off the wall behind it. A beat barely passed when a female redhead stormed in in a fit of anger.

Flinging her backpack on the sofa while muttering curses, the newest appearance didn’t realise anyone was even home as she went about frantically kicking the wall while growling and thrashing her head.

Stopping what she was doing, YooRa coughed. “Nae…”

The redhead instantly halted and rotated to face the speaker. Slowly holding her hand up, ‘Nae’ nodded. “Yo…”

“My head.” ByungHun rubbed the spot with his free hand as he whined at where he’d been assaulted by the flying bag that the girl had tossed.

“Oh . I didn’t even see you past the back of the sofa. My bad.” The girl which was apparently younger than the female cooking didn’t really sound very sorry at all. In fact, it came off as an insult on purpose. Skulking over to her housemate, Nae weaved her head to check out what was being concocted. “Who died? You only cook when someone’s died.”

Ignoring the remark which was a little too true for her to become comfortable with, YooRa held out her vice. “What got you in such a bad mood?” The blonde asked and the redhead checked to see if the smoke was anything special before taking it anyway.

The mere thought of what had happened to her earlier that day sent her off the handle again. Shaking her head madly and stomping her feet like someone throwing a fit, Nae whined like a toddler. “That at work stealing one of my customers is what happened.” She took two long drags on the cigarette before handing it back.

“You’re the ?” ByungHun cut in the conversation between the two females hovering by the stove.

“Who the are you? What the is this?” Not even giving the boy chance to reply, the redhead turned back to her friend. “What happened in here? Who’s he?” She pointed between the bloody towels and her interruption angrily as questions flew from in irritation.

“They say birds of a feather flock together. I’ve never met girls so rude in my life.”

“Hah?” The redhead spun around and advanced for the sitting boy who was now pushing himself back into the black fabric of the sofa in order to avoid the intricately designed – and sharp looking – nail poking the air mere centimetres from his face. “Do you know how lucky you are? YooRa showing some form common kindness is like trying to get blood from a stone.”

“Oi, oi~ Don’t give a bad impression of me.” Flapping her free hand, the girl being spoke about stubbed out her bad habit.

Snorting a short laugh, ByungHun informed his saviour. “I already have one.”

Shaking her head, the blonde went back to making lunch. “I knew I should have just stabbed you with the needle.”

“See?” Nae raised both eyebrows while flailing. “That’s the YooRa I know and love.”

Eyes darting between the pair, the only male present gawked at the strange scene. “You’re both ing crazy. As soon as I get my energy back, I’m off.” He jutted his thumb towards the front door to solidify his point.

“You think?” Looking back over her shoulder, the blonde scoffed. “You owe me a new top.”

Flapping his jaw, ByungHun yelled only to get cut off. “That’s i---”

“And towels.” She turned back to the stove, showing she wasn’t going to compromise.

 


 

[A little less than a week later]


YooRa woke up bright and early to the sounds of children playing outside, birds singing, and her housemates blearing techno. Oh yes, how she loved Saturdays.

Throwing herself onto her side, the blonde squinted at the top of a box she had been using as a nightstand in hopes of finding out the time from her small travel clock that had apparently spouted legs and gone on vacation. Falling back into her original position, her right hand patted around for her vice while she grumbled.

The girl had barely lit the end of the stick when the door burst open to reveal Nae in her underwear, or bikini, or string. It looked like neon blue floss to YooRa, regardless of what it was supposed to be.

“Rise and shine, baby!” The redhead flounced over to the window and ripped the curtains open in one harsh motion. As the blinding rays crashed through the window, the older girl yanked the sheet over her head as if she would start to disintegrate when the foreign light source hit her. Throwing herself face down onto the double bed, Nae gargled unfathomable words before crawling up to the top end. “It’s unhealthy.”

The blonde decided to humour her cute junior that was already making her want to go back to sleep. “What is?”

“Smoking in bed whilst sitting in the dark.” Taking a hold of the black silk sheet, the redhead began a game of tug of war with her senior. “Anyone would think you’re in some kind of deep depression. Stop acting like a shut-in.” Her words strained as she repetitively tried to throw herself back with the cloth still glued to her roommate’s hand.

Taking a long drag on her smoke, YooRa rested her head on the wall behind her and blew circles without a care. “I am a shut in.”

“Goddamn it!” Giving up in a huff, Nae flopped around over the girls legs while whining. “Stop using logic and let’s go out.”

A strangled moan vibrated in the older girl’s throat at the offer.

Sitting up suddenly, the redhead chose now as the time to inform her friend. “Subbie and ChanHee have the day off too.”

As if on cue, the high pitched shriek of the latter boy mentioned shook the apartment and pierced the girls’ ears.

“Oh .” Nae stuck her finger in her left ear to relieve the ringing. “Did he find out I borrowed his boots?” Wide eyed at the realisation, Nae rolled onto the other side of the girl she shared a room with and clung to her arm. “Save me.”

Anyone who knew ChanHee knew that touching his stuff meant death, so it wasn’t really a surprise that even the usually intrepid KyungNae was attempting to use her friend as a shield.

But, unlike the image both girls were expecting, the boy with rich orange hair came flouncing in – without knocking - whilst holding an A4 sized box. “Noona has a package-eee~” He handed the item over giddily before his -switched flipped. “KyungNae, I’d like a word.” He wagged his finger as he waited in the hallway for the redhead.

Eyes darting from the boy’s back and to her roommate, Nae made a fake crying face. “Unnie?”

“, don’t call me that. You only say it when you want something.” Glancing up from her delivery, the blonde kept a straight face as she pushed the younger girl’s forehead with her fingertips. “And your crying face is ugly as Hell.”

The redhead begrudgingly got up off the bed they shared and skulked towards the door. Glaring back over her shoulder at the female, Nae spat. “Hoe.”

ChanHee snapped to attention at the insult that was usually his nickname. “What did you call me?”

KyungNae flounced, singing her usual fake flattery to the shorter male. “Nothing my sugarplum honey bee~”

Beginning to tear the corner of the wrapped box, YooRa just nodded playfully, albeit a little delayed. “Mm huh.” Once the younger girl had shuffled off into the sitting room, the blonde finished taking her time with the item.  Upon opening the package, she saw a piece of white fabric along with a letter on top. Unfolding the slip of paper, her eyes scanned over the suspiciously neat words.

‘I thought a dress would be better. At least try to look feminine some times. About the towels: If you’re really adamant about new ones, come find me.
Oh, thanks for the lunch too.
ByungHun.’

“Are you in’ kiddin’ me?” Anger took over the female now scrunching the paper with violent force. Throwing the letter she was sure was a piss-take, YooRa’s eye twitched. “Oh, I’ll find you alright.” Taking the boxed dress along with her, the young woman literally threw herself out of her pit. Ripping the t-shirt she had stolen from ChangSub over hear head, the female raged around the space trying to find a set of underwear that at least kind of looked like they matched.

 


 

Looking at it in the tall mirror propped beside the built-in closet, she thought the dress was quite nice – Not something she’d usually wear – but pretty nonetheless. It was a pale cream off the shoulder style that had a flowing movement and stopped just above the knee with small silver love heart studs along the hem. And it fit great too. It made her wonder if the awkward boy had taken the time to actually find something or whether he had grabbed the first thing he saw without even caring and left it to luck as to whether it would fit.

Pairing the new item with a wide brimmed hat in the same colour and a burnt orange coloured wedges to match her overly large sunglasses and purse, YooRa nodded at herself in the mirror. Snatching her keys and phone off her dresser, the blonde unhooked a white, light weight cardigan off the back of her door and took a deep breath as a means of motivating herself.

With a little stick of death hanging from full glossed lips, the female set out into the living room where her housemates sat.


 


 

Updated: 12th March 2013 - 19:36