It's a Birthday Present

It's a Birthday Present

 

Xiumin stood on the corner of the street. It was past noon already. He constantly looked at his watch and gazing around. He’s late.. He sighed.

“Hyung!” Chen shouted as he ran towards the older guy. “Sorry I’m late.” Chen apologized as he caught his breath. His hair was a bit messy, and by the look on his face, Xiumin could tell that Chen had just awakened from his precious nap.

“You’re always late.” Xiumin pouted as they began to walk. They were going to find a birthday present for someone special, so Xiumin was a bit nervous about what kind of gift he should pick.

“So, have you found out what gift you’d give to her?” Chen asked.

“No. Not yet.” Xiumin answered with a confused look. He made another pouting that made Chen stared at his face blankly. This precious baozi… He made me somewhat hungry.. Chen patted his own tummy until Xiumin’s voice cracked his day dreaming. “Do you have any idea?”

“Uh.. How about plushie..? You know.. Girls love stuffed animals.. Something like that.” Chen answered and grabbed a lollipop he bought earlier from his pocket.

“Hmm.. I don’t know about that..” Xiumin thought for a while.. “But let’s give it a try.” Chen nodded as he continued sipping his lollipop. Xiumin stared at Chen. His lollipop, exactly.  “Hey… where did you get that?”

“Uh, this?” Chen pointed his lollipop at Xiumin. “I bought it on the way here.” He replied and continued every edge of it.

“Can I have some?” Xiumin asked, still staring at the lollipop. Somehow it looked really delicious.

“I only bought one.” Chen sipped the half of it like he was marking his territory. I sense something not good..

“I want to taste a bit..” Xiumin pleaded. This time Xiumin let out his power number one: baozi pouts. Chen replied with a disapproving look.

“Hyung, I always gave you my candies.. Go buy yourself.” Chen was being selfish. This lollipop was special. It cost more expensive than any other lollipop he had bought before, and the store where he bought it only provide them on a special occasion only. His was kind of short of allowance today, so he only bought one for himself.

But Xiumin still couldn't resist the sight of Chen’s lollipop. “Only a bit…” Xiumin let out his power number two: puppy eyes. He made such a puppy face that no one could resist. “Please…”

Chen tried to ignore his hyung. But the more he tried, the more his hyung made him feels uneasy with the pleading. You’re strong, Chen. Just ignore him. Chen told himself. The lollipop is yours. You can do it, Chen… He will let it go. He will… Soon.

Chen kept sipping his lollipop and walked straight forward. He glanced at his hyung once more. That face… damn.

“Just… a single .” Chen unwillingly offered the lollipop. Xiumin squeals happily as he took a mouthful sip and bit it in half. Chen gasped at it. His lollipop was now only a half.

“HYUNG!!!” Chen made a face like this--> щ(OAOщ) He couldn't believe his hyung really bit it in half. My lollipop… My world... My heart… H-how dare he…

Meanwhile Xiumin really enjoyed the lollipop in his mouth. His eyes widened as the sweetness dancing happily in his mouth. “Chen this one is so good!!”

“I hate you.” Chen replied coldly as he continued his walk. He couldn't help himself but pouted all the way. He started to memorize every moment he spent with his lollipop today. Every sweetness it gave. Every single joy it brought in every sip of it. Chen was having a hard time to forget it. He wrapped his now-only-a-half lollipop and saved it in his jacket. He didn't dare to lose it so fast. He bit his lips and continued walking.

“Ah… There!!” Xiumin shouted as pointed to the shop. It was a new toy shop on the area, and it was pretty big. Xiumin had some confident that he would find what he’d be looking for there.

The bell rang as he entered the shop, followed by Chen after him. The shop was neatly decorated. Some parts of the shop were minimalist with wooden theme that fits the toys displayed there. On the other side, it was pretty modern, for R/Cs and other action figures and robots. They were welcomed by a pretty collection of wooden dolls on the shelves on their right side, near the cashier.  On their left, there was a section with lot of action figures stacked neatly on every shelf. There were standees too.

“Oohh…! Oohh…!! Thunderman!!” Chen spotted his favorite TV character’s action figures. He approached one of the shelves and picked one of the toy boxes. “And his partner, Frost Lady too!!” He squealed in amazement.

"Frost... what?" Xiumin tilted his head.

"Frost Lady!! aigoo, Hyung. Don't tell me you don't know about them." Chen shocked in disbelief. Xiumin shook his head, waiting for Chen's explanation. "It's on TV! Everyone's been talking about them. Super heroes from the outer space who fight monsters on earth!"

"TV shows?" Xiumin asked. Chen nodded in anticipation. But Xiumin surely didn't know those kinds of things. He rarely watched TV. It was either he was too lazy to get outside his room to watch TV or nothing really interested him on TV. Maybe both. "Uh.. Aren’t you too old to watch that kind of thing?”

“Hyung, there’s no age restriction to have fun.” Chen frowned. He was about to wander around the section before Xiumin stopped him.

“Chen, let’s find the gift first..” Xiumin asked him. The younger boy unwillingly followed his hyung to the stuffed animal section.

There were a lot of stuffed animals neatly arranged on several huge white carved wooden shelves. There were rabbits, penguins, bears, and many more, from big to small. Xiumin amazed by the collection. He started to scan the entire shelves.

“Hyung, this lion is so big!” Chen shouted as he lifted a giant lion from the shelf. It was so big that it nearly covered his whole body. He started to move the lion left to right like it was dancing happily. “It’s a bit heavy though.”

“It’s..... Big.” Xiumin paid attention as the lion (and Chen) dancing in front of him. He then noticed that there were other giant animals too. He tried to lift the gorilla, but it was so heavy that he gave up before something bad happened.

Smack!

Chen fell to the floor with the lion on the top of him. It was like he was tripped. Speak of the devil. Xiumin helped him to get up.

“Ouch.. My back..” Chen hissed in pain as he tried to get up.

“How can you be so clumsy.. Gee.” Xiumin put the lion back to the self. Chen massaged his back and shoulder. “Are you okay?”

“I’m okay..” Chen answered. “Uh.. Giant animal is no good for the present.. I guess.” Xiumin chuckled and nod in agreement.

“Good afternoon, may I help you?” suddenly a staff appeared in front of them. A dark haired boy wearing a neat white shirt and a dark moss green apron that matched his shirt collar. His smile was so sweet even though he looked a bit shy.

“Good afternoon. I’m looking for a birthday gift for my friend. She’ll be sixteen this week.” Xiumin explained. He glanced to the staff’s ID on his chest. His name was Tao. “So.. Do you have any idea?”

“Ah.. Um.. Let me see…” Tao thought for a while. “Do you have any idea what kind of things she likes?” He asked again.

“Uh, I don’t know…” Xiumin tried to gather all information in his brain. “She likes to write…. And listen to Korean pop.” He explained. “I was thinking about giving her a stuffed animal, but I don’t know which…”

“I see..” Tao answered. His eyes were gazing around the shelves. Then he moved to one shelf beside them. Xiumin followed him.

“How about.. This one?” Tao said as he grabbed a plush panda from the shelf.

Xiumin paid attention to the panda details. A fluffy panda, hugging a bamboo leaf. The size was neither too big nor too small. It was pretty huggable. The dark circle on its eyes somewhat looked like Tao, unless the panda was with its stiff face while Tao there tried to smile as best as he could. Pretty cute.. The panda, I mean.

“It’s cute..” Xiumin said happily. He then took the panda and tried to squish it. He patted the panda head, and then rolled it over. He checked every detail of it.

“How about it Che—“ Xiumin looked back to find Chen. “Chen?” He gazed around, but Chen was not there. Where the hell is he..

“Uh, okay, I’ll take it.” Xiumin said, not wanting Tao waiting any longer. He hoped that the panda will be a perfect gift for her.

“Okay, I’ll take this one to the counter.  Anything else?” Tao replied. Xiumin shook his head and thanked Tao before he went back and searched for his company.

***

“But I will crush you with my Super Flash-Lightning Thunder!!” Chen shouted as he lifted both of his hand in the air, then cross them on his chest.

“Not so fast, Thunderman, don’t you remember about my telekinetic power? Your thunder won’t harm me.”  A blonde-haired staff member who was talking with Chen now made a wave with his hand. He made such a fierce expression and grinned, which sent shivers down on Chen’s neck.

“W-whoa.. Hold on!” Chen stopped his act and thought for a while. “The next episode will be airing tonight! I have no idea how Thunderman will defeat Manly Deer Monster!!”

“Because he will lose the battle”  The blonde replied and start putting all the action figures that they took back to their shelves. “No matter what.”

“Of course no!” Chen shouted. He wouldn’t believe his favorite hero lose that easily. “Maybe you forgot about this, but Frost Lady hasn’t appeared yet. He will ask her for help and beat that spooky monster!”

"Like yesterday when he was almost defeated by Teleporting Maniac?" The blonde guy replied.

"Yeah! They'll swipe that monster with their ultimate... uh.. what was it called..." Chen frowned, trying to remember.

"Thunder Blizzard Snowflakes Blast?" Luhan replied. "It was a cheesy name though."

"Yeah that's it! Uh, no I guess. It sounds powerful." Chen replied with a sheepish smile. "Anyway, Manly Deer Monster will die tonight!!"

“Maybe that’s true.. Let’s just see what will happen.” The Blonde guy smiled as he finished his job.

“Luhan hyung.” Tao came up from the back of the shelf. He noticed that Luhan was talking to a customer, so he bowed politely and then continued his words. “I need you at the cashier..”

Luhan nodded and excuse himself to Chen. “Gotta back to work..” Chen nodded and continued wandering around.

***

After a while, Chen was finally found Xiumin who were standing near the cashier. “Hyung, I’ve been looking for you!” Chen said as he approached him.

“………..Where were you?” Xiumin asked him. He looked annoyed. “You were supposed to help me choose the gift, you know.”

“A-ah.. Sorry Hyung.” Chen apologized to the older guy. “So, have you found the gift yet?”

“Yes..” Xiumin nodded. “Let’s check out at the cashier.” He pointed out the cashier next to him, and then both of them walked to it.

They welcomed by Luhan at the cashier. “The panda, right?” Luhan asked Xiumin. Xiumin nodded, and then Luhan pulled out a stuffed panda from below the cashier. “Anything else?”

“Whoah, hyung, it’s cute!” Chen praised the panda.

Xiumin nodded. “Ah, could you have it wrapped also? It’s for a present.” Xiumin asked.

“Of course.” Luhan replied and moved to the right side of the cashier. “Which one do you like?” He asked as he pointed out the wrapping papers. There were so many of them. Xiumin carefully looked up for the best one.

“Hyung, the yellow one looks good.” Chen suggested. He picked the yellow wrapping paper from the stand.

“That looks nice.” Xiumin approved. “Okay, I’d like to have this one please.” Xiumin said to Luhan.

Luhan nodded and then picked the yellow paper. He then put the panda on a box and wrapped the box with the paper. His hands were skilled at this. He then attached a yellow ribbon on the top of the box. “It’s done.”

“Wow, it looks good.” Xiumin praised his work. He then finished the payment and thanked Luhan.

“You’re welcome.” Luhan replied with a smile. “Come again, okay?” Xiumin nodded and made his way out.

“And don’t forget to watch Thunderman tonight!!” Chen shouted as he waved to Luhan.

“I won’t!” Luhan replied, and then Chen followed his hyung out of the store.