Woe is D.O

Plot Bunny Dump

Kyungsoo’s life was hard.

His problems started at breakfast. He had woken up early to prepare a healthy, wholesome breakfast for the other five boys still snoring away happily in their beds. They were facing a tough, full schedule today, and he wanted them to be able to tackle it while feeling 100%. 

He had just finished setting down the set of rice and beef stew when Baekhyun came waddling into the kitchen, drawn by the smell of food, and crashing into the door frame in his half-awake state. He promptly fell backwards from the impact and landed on his bum, staring blankly at the stretch of wall responsible for the red spot on his forehead, and let out a groan of pain. 

As if attracted by a magnetic field, Chanyeol came hurtling in. The giant happy virus was the complete opposite of Baekhyun in the morning - too much energy and not enough outlets. Kyungsoo blamed this for the two bowls of stew he nearly sent flying with his flailing arms when he overshot his goal of the boy on the floor. As it was, half of one bowl had sloshed out when Kyungsoo scrambled to save it, and he hissed in pain when the hot soup scalded his fingers.

That bowl was originally supposed to be Sehun’s, but the maknae was especially whiny in the morning, and because he didn’t really want everyone to have to deal with a bratty Sehun to start off the day, he exchanged the younger’s bowl with his own. He didn’t need to eat as much, anyway, since Sehun expended more energy as a dancer. And he was still a growing boy!

His efforts, however, did not seem to be enough to appease the silver-haired, sleepy-eyed Sehun when he sat down at the table to eat. 

“Hyuuunnngg, why are you using my bowl?”

Kyungsoo sighed, then wordlessly switched the contents of the two bowls. By the time he sat back down, his meal was a lot colder than he would have liked.

“Kyungsoo?” Joonmyun’s voice came drifting out of his room. Kyungsoo stared sadly at his breakfast, having just picked up his spoon. 

“What’s wrong, hyung?” he asked when he entered the leader’s room. Joonmyun was bent over an open drawer.

“Do you know where I put my plaid shirt?”

“The blue one?”

“Ye-oh.”

Kyungsoo had opened Joonmyun’s closet, and lo and behold, the shirt in question hung right in the middle.

“You put it there last night, hyung. So you wouldn’t forget.”

Joonmyun chuckled sheepishly. “You’re right, I guess I-“

“Stop it! Ugh-

CRASH

-oh my god, Chanyeol!!!”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, dashing back to the kitchen to find Chanyeol sprawled on the floor, covered with the remains of Kyungsoo’s untouched breakfast.

The boy pouted up at Kyungsoo. 

“Baekkie pushed me!”

“Liar! I just-“

“What’s all the noise- oh. Uh…”

Jongin stared at the wreckage in the kitchen, still rubbing sleep out of his eyes. His shirt was on backwards, and inside-out.

Kyungsoo pressed a palm to his face. This was not going to be a good day.

When evening finally came, Kyungsoo could confidently say that he was a psychic and was able to predict the future. Things had gone downhill from breakfast. From Baekhyun and Chanyeol not speaking, which led to a very strained and awkward interview filled with too many forced smiles from Joonmyun while he tried to simultaneously give the pair pointed looks, to Sehun being grumpy over missing a step during one of their performances, even though they all assured him that nobody noticed, it had been a very long and exhausting day for everyone.

Kyungsoo found himself the receiving end of a lot of misdirected pissiness on days like these, but he took it without complaint, instead trying to comfort the offenders in any way he could, because he understood.

Sometimes though, he wished that there was someone who understood him

He stepped out of the shower and trudged to his room, looking forward to a nice long sleep in the middle of his warm fluffy blankets, thinking that tomorrow would be better. But when he opened his door, he found himself wrapped in a tight, protective embrace.

Signature wide, stunned eyes softened when he realized who it was.

Jongin stared down at him, one hand through his hair and the other resting at his waist. He stared back, and he was grateful that they didn’t need words. Jongin smiled softly and pulled him over to his bed.

He fell asleep to Jongin curled around him, warm breath against the top of his head, steady heartbeat against his back, and the day’s troubles were light-years away, melting into nonexistence.

 

 

--

There will be other pairings I promise.

-Ace