Chapter 1

A Dandelion, A Promise

 

“Don’t forget to water the plants before leaving!” mother’s loud but warm voice rang in my ears.

 

“I got it, mother!” I replied.

 

Running to the shed, I found the empty, a little rusted on the sides, watering can and filled it with a pail of well water. I then hurried to the little garden behind the kitchen to water my mother’s home grown flowers and vegetables. After emptying the watering can, I kept it back in the shed.

 

“I’ll be back before twelve!” I called out and left the house without waiting for a reply.

 

~~~

 

Hi, my name is Dahlia and I come from a family of rice farmers in a small village. Although we grow rice crops for a living, my mother loves gardening. She has a wide knowledge for different flowers and vegetables. That explains the garden behind our kitchen. It is full of herbs, cherry tomatoes and sweet-smelling flowers.

 

Speaking of flowers, I got my name from a flower. It is one of my mother’s favourite. She told me the flower symbolizes a ‘unique and eclectic’ personality but I am not even a wild person! In fact, everyone would always say I am the complete opposite of the character my parents wished I would be. I prefer those fluffy dandelions that grow in the wildflower meadow on a hill behind my home instead. They symbolize faithfulness and happiness.

 

~~~

 

Two hours should be enough, I thought. I made my way up the hill to the meadow, whistling and humming the usual tune. It always kept me occupied along the journey. But it also brought back many bittersweet memories. I decided to shake off the thought that was forming in my head. Soon, a large piece of yellow flowers in full blossom came into view. I smiled and ran towards my usual spot; an oak tree. This old oak tree has been growing at the corner of the fence since I was a child.

 

Checking there were no insects or damp soil, I lied down on my back. I love to feel the softness of the grass against my skin. It made me feel closer to nature. Closing my eyes, I concentrated on the surroundings around me. The birds sang happily on the tree branch, creating music to my ears. The cool breeze gently caressed my face and produced the sound of rustling leaves above me. I opened my eyes and looked up at the sky, only to realise how tall the tree have grown. Eight years, I thought. It has been eight years and heaved a soft sigh.

 

Just then, something big flew into the sky. I propped my elbows to get a better view of the creature. It was a big bird given how high it was away from the ground. Looking closely, I realised it was an eagle. The way it spread its strong wings and soared freely in the sky created a slight tinge of envy in me. I must be mad, to be envious over a bird. But how I wished I could be like that eagle, to able to fly over the horizon and across the sea and meet Onew who should be now living somewhere in a city of Korea. I guess.

 

Onew. It was the name I was once so familiar with, the boy who was once my confidant, the one who made me feel like the happiest girl alive. But it was all memories, like a dream, a nightmare that haunts me even after he left.

 

~~~

 

 

A bunch of white fluffy dandelions caught my eye among the sea of delicate looking yellow ones around me. I stood on my feet and crouched before the cluster. Reaching out a hand, I gently tugged at a stem and held it between my fingers. A strong sense of nostalgia washed over me. This perfect ball of white reminded me of what Onew once said,

 

“People spend their time finding four leaves clovers but dandelions are capable of granting wishes too. Similarly, we go around finding our “other half” when sometimes, the right one is just right in front of you.”

 

 

By this time, salty tears were rolling down my cheeks and I rested my forehead on my wrapped arms.

 

It’s okay, just cry. I’m here.

 

My head shot up. I thought I heard his voice. Then I understood it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

 

Feeling gloomy, I plopped my body on the grass again and thought for a long time. I am tired. I am tired of waiting. There were times when I decided to just forget everything. Forget about his promise. But how can I achieve it if I were to visit the meadow every day. Every part of it has our trace. So I told myself I should stop going to that place completely. For a while it worked, however, it was not long before I found myself walking on the path to the meadow again. It was then I figured out although I hated him for breaking his promise, all the more hated myself for being so foolish to believe what he said, part of me stubbornly wished he was true. I still carried that little hope in believing Onew would come back for me.

Sigh, the only thing I could do is to wait…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have heard of this name "Onew" for a few times in this chapter. Who is he? And why did he leave? Stay tuned to the next chapter.