Unnies

Rejuvenation

 

                Hana sat on the floor comfortably as she stared into the infamous “SM Entertainment dance studio” cloud wall. She hummed lightly to herself as she waited for her two unnies to arrive for dance practice. Both Rayne and Rabi were having individual practices at the moment. Rayne was busy trying to get her Korean up to a proficient level, something a leader should be. Meanwhile, Rabi was trying to catch up with the other girls, trying to learn the songs that were to be on their debut album. Hana let her ears perk up to the sound of trainees outside the door. She listened in to the daily gossip as her eyes glided to the clock – twenty minutes still. Being Hana, she was way too early – but not in a bad way. She was eager and willing to keep working. Besides, the time she got by being early gave her a chance to think, practice on her own, and relax – something she rarely had anymore since the girls were told they were to debut as the three member group floWER.

                Hana couldn’t help but smile at the thought of her unnies and the group floWER. After all, Hana liked her unnies and thus liked the group she was in. She felt comfortable with them, and relaxed. That’s all she wanted was a few friends and a relaxed place where she could be around them in. It’s been some time since she was even remotely relaxed around people, her years as a trainee weren’t the most exhilarating and happy experiences she’s ever had. Quite the opposite however, they were extremely troublesome before she met her group mates. In all actuality, personal problems as well as peer problems follow everyone, and Hana was no exception – she was normal. She leaned back as she thought about this.

                In her own eyes, Hana was nothing special. She classified herself as normal, average, with the day she was asked to be an SM Entertainment trainee being no exception. It was a normal day and she was with normal friends, singing a well-known song while being at a normal noraebang.

.: Approximately 1 year and 6 months ago:.

Hana shifted in her seat, smiling, as her friends were singing and dancing to the well-known SNSD song “Gee”.  AeCha and YoonHee weren’t the most musically inclined people in the world, but they were kind to Hana, and that’s all she cared about. She held back a giggle as she watched the madness in front of her.

“Hana~ Come join us!” Grabbing her hand, AeCha pulled her up off the couch that she was so comfortable in.

“And while we’re at it, let’s let your hair down!” She felt her long hair fall loose as YoonHee pulled at her hair tie. Hana just stared at the girls with wide eyes, a slight tinge of pink falling on her cheeks. If it wasn’t for the fact the favorite part of the song was coming up she probably would have retreated back onto the couch, fastening her hair back up and continuing supporting her unnies. However, it was her favorite part, and she wasn’t going to let that pass. AeCha handed her a microphone and Hana let loose, singing with ease. As the final chorus came around, Hana took the adlibs while her two friends kept the chorus going. She knew the lyrics by heart and wasn’t afraid to let go – no one could hear her except for YoonHee and AeCha right?

“Who’s singing that?”

Hana jumped back and immediately halted any singing she was or was planning on doing. Looking over to the doorway of the noraebang room she noticed a man’s head peeking in. He took a step in as Hana took a step back. Who was this and what reason would they stick their head into a random noraebang room?

“Excuse me, but who was that singing just now”

AeCha looked at the man inquisitorially and then answered him, “YoonHee and I were doing the chorus. Why –“

“No, no. Not the chorus, the adlibs – oh, and the solo before the last chorus. Who sang that?” He took another step into the room, helping the girls get a better look at him. He was in a suit, granted it was disheveled with the tie loosened around his neck but it was a suit nonetheless. His hair matched his suit, disheveled and messy. This guy was probably in a room of his own or something, why bother them?

YoonHee shook her head lightly. “That wasn’t us then, it was Hana.” She pointed to the younger girl as she talked. Hana immediately stepped behind AeCha, she didn’t like to draw attention to herself but yet here she was with the attention of a man in a disheveled suit on her. This wasn’t looking good – at least not for her.

“Wonderful!” He stepped forward even closer which only made Hana hide more behind her unnie. “Ah. Where are my manners? I’m Bang Chin Ho. I’m a scout for SM Entertainment. You know what that is right? I assume so by your song selection.  Now let me just find this… thing…” The “Chin Ho” person in front of them started to work on getting something out of his suit. This gave enough time for Hana to put down the microphone and grab her bag in case she had to run, this all just seemed a little fishy. “Ah! Found it.” He pulled out a small business card, handing it over to Hana who just looked at it slightly before uneasily taking it. She looked at the card. The pink raised SMent lettering on the top left handed corner along with the name ‘Bang Chin Ho – SMent Scout’ written underneath of it. AeCha and YoonHee both looked at card too, utterly shocked at it.

“What I came here to ask you, despite looking like this” he motioned to himself, “is if you would like to and be willing to be a trainee under SMent, Hana.”

Hana’s eyes snapped up from the card to look at Chin Ho, his face bearing a grin, in disbelief. She shook her head lightly, “I-I’m sorry. B-but no.” The smile dropped from his face.

“But why?”

AeCha moved aside, revealing the shy girl that was in question. “Yes, the question is why. But to you, sir.” Hana smiled at her unnie. She was going to stick up for her, this guy could just be a fake after al-.

“Why her? She such a wilted flower anyway.”  Hana couldn’t comprehend what her unnie just said. She just used the teasing name all the kids in school ever used on her. “I mean look at her, she’s totally not anything special. She’s not even bubbly or energetic, she doesn’t dance that well nor does she sing well.”

“She’s not even pretty. “ YoonHee joined in.  What was happening? These girls were always nice to her. “I mean, granted she’s smart but that’s the only reason we stick around her. Just look at these clothes, and this hair! The only thing she has going for her are those blue eyes. But heck, that’s what contacts are for – or maybe those are contacts.” YoonHee stepped forwards, which made Hana step back unevenly.  The poor girl was confused beyond belief and shaking from fear.

This whole time it’s been a lie? These girls who were nice to her actually hate her?

“Girls. Cut it out.” Chin Ho moved forward and grabbed Hana lightly pulling her between them. “She’s adorable. Granted, she’s not YoonA but she’s pretty. I haven’t seen her dance, but that’s something a trainee would work on and her voice is good, it’s special.” He turned to Hana, speaking softly. “Will you please be a trainee? I think you would do really well.”

At this point, Hana was at the brink of tears. The last straw was when she felt cold liquid splashed all over her. YoonHee sat there holding a cup in her hand. “Just go, and when you fail at least we’ll know you have nowhere to turn to – wilt.”

Tears, slowly dripping down her cheeks as she stared at the two girls who were once the friends she had. YoonHee was right, if she did fail she wouldn’t have anywhere to go. But, at this point she had nowhere either and if life gives you a door at the end of the tunnel, you take the door.

“I’ll do it.” her small voice sounded frail. She turned to Chin Ho, “I’ll be a trainee.”

.:-- -- --:.

She closed her eyes and when they opened she saw the comforting blue sky of the dance studio, her new unnies walking in. Hana took a deep breath and got up, walking over to them.

“Hana-ah. What happened? Your eyes, there’s tears” Rabi’s looked at her worried. Her dongsaeng wasn’t much to show tears, or at least real tears.

“Ah~  Nothing, unnie! I was just thinking!” She smiled happily.

“Well, if you need to talk we’re here.” Rayne gave the maknae a small hug, Rabi following suit.

Hana let out a breath and relaxed. She was where she belonged, she was happy and with people who cared. These were her real unnies, not some fakes who used her.

She squirmed out of the hug after a short moment turning away from them, “C’mon! Let’s practice! After all floWER can't be out of sync, right?”