Chapter One: Getting There

The Secret Life Of A YG Trainee

We all walked quickly down the wet crowded street to the same train station we each took home everyday. Charlie's shift had ended late but even the streets were still filled with people. Even though the walk from the small cafe normally took a small amount of time today the walk seemed to take an eternity.

"Let's head to my place first and figure out how we'll get there" Charlie said breaking our silence.

We were each caught in a beautiful world of daydreams, and doubt. No matter what we each thought we knew we HAD to take this chance together. We each had the talent, and the potential and after years of us each being obessed with Kpop and the goddess and god like creatures who sang the catchy tunes we had each made a promise to each other that we would take the chance if it ever presented itself. And there it was, the chance, our chance. If it meant flying thousands of miles away from the only homes we had ever known, we would have to take that risk. I opened my umbrella as the rain gradually got heavier and sighed. You were the only one who noticed me carefully examining the streets, as though it would be a long time before I walked them again. New York. My city. Your city. Charlie's city. We would be leaving it to chase a dream. Suddenly the reality of the sitution was very real. You tucked your arm under mine and offered a encouraging smile that broke into a grin when we noticed Charlie a few steps ahead of us silently mouthing our favorite songs. "Fame"

Remember my name
Fame

I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly
High

I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
Fame

I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame
Fame

I'm gonna live forever
Baby remember my name

 

We both silently sang along with him. Excitement turning in our stomaches, rain falling heavier with each passing verse, as if it the Heavens were blessing us for our journey ahead.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time we reached Charlie's small apartment we were all soaked through to the bone, but none of that seemed to matter. We were all excitedly harmonizing singing Fame over and over. I pulled out my iphone and typed a quick message to my mother to let her know I'd be late getting home and then stood dripping along with you as we waited for Charlie to bring us our guest clothes. Not that we were guest's. At this point we both almost lived at Charlie's house. It was a save haven for us to watch as much Korean drama, watch all the KPOP music videos we wanted, practice our Korean, and put on our circle lenses and makeup and take pictures our parents would have narrowed their eyes at mumbling

 

"Aren't you too old to be trying to be cute?"

 

Charlie was a friend we had sort of run into. Literally we RAN into him. We had both been drolling over the latest issue of Vogue Korea that featured 100 (YES 100!) pages of pure YG Family goodness. We both loved YG Family, and it was that love that brought us together. Standing the first two people in line for another 2NE1 world tour concert, we hit it off instantly, chatting about everything from G-Dragon and his ever changing hair, to our annoyance with YG and the "trolling" he made us suffer. It wasn't any of that however that sealed the bond to our friendship, it was when after the concert had ended (turns out we had both gotten VIP tickets and stood next to each other during the concert) we both left the stadium, hoarse voiced and drained but so happy we could have hugged every person on the street, that we both started talking about our dreams and passions, and about YG Family. It took one thing to make our friendship real, We both had the strange feeling that told us we belonged with them.

Several months later, after countless texts, and numerous meet up's to talk more about our obbession, we found our way to a little coffee shop, and decided to head in for some much needed warmth. When we ran into Charlie not only were we pratically worshiping the stylist who had put CL in a tight short curve hugging white lace dress,  but we were chatting about what it would be like to stand next to her in a picture, so engrossed we hadn't even seen him coming. The sense of longing taking over our hearts must have distracted us because BAM! We slammed into him full force. We both managed to jump back a little before the hot coffee and hot chocolate and other drinks spilled all over the brown tile floor, shattering the glasses and mugs, and the rest of the liquid jumping up and landing all over Charlie. Before we could utter any proper apologies Charlie's boss came out shouting that he couldn't do anything right, and threating to fire him, in front of a whole cafe full of people. We saw Charlie's eyes swirl with fear, anger, and embarrassment. The tips of his ears, although partially hidden by his black hair, were going bright red, and his cheecks flushed with color. We both exchanged a glance and launched into assuring his boss it wasn't Charlie's fault. We offered to pay for the damages and clean up ourselves, feeling guilty that we had gotten him in trouble. After we had spilt the cost of the glasses and mugs (who knew such cheap looking things could cost so much?!) and mopped and swept up the floor we retreated to the fartest booth we could find away from the judging eyes of everyone in the cafe and continued looking at each picture in Vogue Korea and discussing it until the cafe neared closing. We were in the middle of admiring Seungri's handsomeness in a suit and tie when two steaming cups of coffee slid on to our table. We both jumped a little and looking up to see Charlie's smiling face, his thick glasses framing his brown Asian eyes.

"Can you both read the interview section?" He asked a smirk playing on his lips as he took a sip of his Iced Tea, which we later learned contained liqour.

You and I both nodded yes, still stunned that the person we had gotten in what seemed like a heap of trouble, had just given us two cups of coffee and was talking to us like we were friends.

"I'm Korean, So I can read it pretty easily. You girl's don't LOOK Korean though, how did you read it?" he asked

You still had a wide eyed expression on your face so I answered quickly

"We taught ourselves to read it. We speak it pretty well too, nothing amazing. We still have no idea about slang words but we're pretty good."

Charlie grinned

"I think I can teach you some. Are you both willing to learn?"

You glanced over at me, as if to ask "Can we trust him? How do we know he hasn't poisoned our coffee?!" but I shook the thought out of my head and looked back at Charlie who looked amused.

"I'm game." I said

You nodded, looking at your coffee, you wanted to drink it I knew but fear still lingered on the edge of your mind.

"Did you, by any chance, poison our coffee?" You asked out loud quickly realizing you hadn't been saying it in your head

"_____!!"(Your name) I shouted covering my face in my hands to avoid looking at your blushing face and hand clamped over your mouth

Charlie's laugh filled the empty cafe and suddenly we both felt silly for doubting he was anything other then friendly, maybe crazy too, but friendly none the less.

"I think I'm gonna like you both!" Charlie said through fit's of laughter "I'm Park Chung-Hee , but since it sounds a little like Charlie you can call me that"

We both introduced ourselves and relaxed enough to take careful sips of our coffee

"Besides" Charlie continued a creepy grin forming on his face "If I was going to kill you, I wouldn't make it so painless."

You practically spit out your coffee, sending Charlie into more laughter.

"I'm kidding! I have a hard time even killing a house spider!"

I grinned, even though Charlie was a strange guy, I knew we had found a new friend in him. I sipped my coffee and watched him wipe his eyes of tears of laughter and yours from practically choking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time Charlie returned with our dry clothes he himself was in a pair of old faded sweatpants and a old worn white t-shirt that clung to the almost defined ab's underneath it. Don't think I didn't catch you look. Even if you didn't admit it, Charlie had always been someone you were fond of. Espcially after you understood his twisted humor, and adapted some of it yourself. I playfully made a kissing face toward you hiding my laughter as I kicked off my shoes and went to change. When I got back both of you were leaned closely together looking at a computer screen.

"What's up guys?" I asked leaning my arms on both of your backs to see just what you were both looking at. It was a travel site, you had both been looking at the cost of a one way ticket to South Korea.

"Damn" You mumbled twisting your hair absentmindedly "That's more then half my savings"

"Mine too, but luckily I have a uncle who lives near Seoul. We could stay with him, He's got a pretty big house" Charlie said pushing up his falling glasses.

"Still" You said a look of defeat flashing over your face "It's a lot of money. And how will Talisa convice her mother to let her go?" You asked more me then Charlie

"I'll convice her!" I hurried to say "I've got a secret stash of money, I can afford the trip. Barely but, Still."

At that statement even Charlie raised an eyebrow. Charlie was 20, old enough to live on his own and not have to worry about alerting his mother everytime he went out. You were living on campus and at 19, you had more freedom, only meeting up with your family on Sundays for dinner. But I was another story, I had just come down from Boston where I went to school (Berklee College of Music) and I was currently living with my mother and now 16 year old brother while I waited for Summer break to be over. At 18 my mother still worried about me, and convining her to let me go to Korea, spending money I honestly shouldn't have been to chase a dream? I was already nervous about telling her.

"Talisa.." You mumbled a concerned look on your face "Maybe we should pass this up?"

I wasn't going to hear it. "We've come to the conclusion that we are going to do this! So we GOTTA do this! HAVE TO!" I said rushing over to my bag and fishing around for my wallet. When my hand touched it's square form I pulled it out, snatching my credit card from its hold.

"Step aside, I'm gonna buy my ticket. Next flight out to South Korea." I said swatting you both gently away from the computer.

You exchanged a quick glance with Charlie.

"Me Next, I wanna sit next to you on the flight!"

Charlie's grin returned "Tsk! Gonna leave poor Park Chung-Hee by himself?"

We both rolled our eyes playfully

"I thought animals rode in the belly of the plane?" You answered I tried and failed to surpress a laugh

Within the next few moments we had each brought one plane ticket to South Korea, and Charlie had managed to reach his Uncle who gave us permission to stay with him.

"All that's left is to pack!" Charlie said breaking out in Fantasic Baby dance moves

"And Alert our families" You whispered

I forced a tight smile. All my life I had wanted to chase this dream. I went to school to learn to be a songwriter, a singer, a producer. Music was all that kept me sane. This was my dream. A dream I shared with two other people who I adored. Then why did I feel a sudden rush of nerves when it sank in that I had really done it? I had brought a one way ticket to an uncertain future. As if sensing my distress you pulled me from the island counter and into the living room.

"Come on Charlie! Let's watch Fame!" You nearly shouted "Pop some popcorn and let's get in the mood to chase some dreams!"

I smiled, even though we had only been friends for a year it still amazed me how much of an amazing friend you were. It was like we were long lost siblings.

Charlie settled down on the sofa in between us with the fresh popcorn, junk food and soda just as the movie started. I sent a smirk your way when he leaned his arm over your side of the sofa.

Regardless of what happend I knew in the end I'd still have you both. That was enough, I took one last deep breath before opening a text to my mom that read.

"Mama, you ever just wanna go on an adventure with some good friends? Well tonight, spur of the moment, Charlie, ____, and I got some news that could change our lifes. We all brought some tickets to South Korea, we leave Friday. I really wanna chase this dream Mama. Even if it sounds silly to you right now. It feels like this could be it. Please don't be mad please understand."

A few moments later a reply popped up on my screen

"If it feels right u got  2 go. I can't stop u from going after what you want. u can do it. I believe in you bbygirl."

That message was all it took for me to relax completly, losing myself with You, Charlie and the characters on the televison screen.