Chapter One

Crossdresser

     “I can’t believe summer’s already over,” Hyunsik sighed staring up at the sky. He was sitting on a bench right outside his school with his best friend by his side. His blazer was open and he decided not to wear his uniform tie because he wanted to expose a little of his chest. Comfort and style was more important to him than school policy.

     Changsub looked at his friend with sleepy eyes and smiled, “At least we’re finally seniors though right?” He was trying to find a song that he’d heard the day before on his phone. It had an infectious beat and he thought Hyunsik would like it.

     Students walked by the bench on their way into the school. Hyunsik waved to the people he knew and took note of those he didn’t. “Some of these freshmen are really cute, huh?” he mused as he stared at a boy walking forward with his apple hairstyle bobbing up and down. There was a certain swagger about the way he carried himself and Hyunsik couldn’t help but follow him with his eyes until he was out of sight.

     “That kid looked like a little raccoon!” Changsub said as his face scrunched up in laughter. “A cute raccoon,” Hyunsik replied playfully as his eyes turned into the half crescents he was known for.

     The bell rang and the two friends decided that it wouldn’t be a good start to their first day if they were late so they begrudgingly made their way to class.

 

     Ilhoon didn’t want to go to Jawoon High School but it’s where his parents wanted him to go so he went. He wished Sungjae was with him but unfortunately his friend wasn’t smart enough to get into Jawoon. So he was stuck at a school where he didn’t know anyone.

     When he walked through the halls he attracted a lot of attention. He figured it was probably because of his apple hairstyle but it was cute and he liked it so he didn’t care. His classes were boring and he just wanted school to be over already so he could go meet Sungjae.

     During lunch he sat alone by himself at a table and gasped at the unsightly state of his nails. He furiously began filing them and when he finished he sat back in his chair and looked at the students in the cafeteria. He glanced over at a table of what he assumed to be seniors,  gawked at a boy that had the most radiant eyesmile he’d ever seen, and thought to himself ‘His brightness is too much for me.’ Suddenly the boy looked at him and smiled even more intensely his eyes becoming invisible. The apple haired boy was so frazzled he grabbed his tray, threw it away, left the cafeteria, and ran to the bathroom. When he was safely in the stall he took out his phone. He felt so strange that he had to tell someone.  

“ILHOONIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,” the cheerful voice screamed, “I miss you so much school without you uh hold on,” Ilhoon sighed as he heard the high pitched guffaw which could only belong to Sungjae on the other line. “Ah sorry Jonghwan was telling a funny story and I almost peed myself, what’s up?”

“This guy smiled at me. Who does he think he is smiling at me like that?”

“What? WHAT? There’s a development in your heart? Are you in love?”

“Shut up there’s no way I could fall in love with someone that dazzling.”

“So you think he’s dazzling?”

“Anyone who looks at him would say he’s dazzling. There should be a limit to the power of an eyesmile. There’s only so much my heart can take!”

     Just as Ilhoon uttered the last syllable the bell signaling the end of lunch rang. “Ugh I have to go. We’re still going to Itaewon later right?”

“Yeah of course! Hey are you sure my new wig looks okay? I don’t wanna look bad today.”

“Aish!, Ilhoon replied with a bit of annoyance, I told you it looks perfect so bye!” Ilhoon went back to class and before long school was over and he was at Sungjaes house getting ready.

“You’re sure your parents aren’t coming home right?” Ilhoon asked because if they found out what they did in their spare time they’d both probably get disowned.

“Yeah. My dad is still on his business trip and my mom went to go visit her sister so she won’t be back until tomorrow. That’s why I said we should go today!” his tall friend was looking at himself in the mirror. He already had his wig on and was applying his makeup. “Look at those two outfits on my bed I don’t know which one I should wear.”

     Ilhoon walked over to the bed and looked intently at the outfits. “You should wear the pants from this outfit and the shirt from this one with that denim jacket you have. I think that’d have a bigger impact.” Sungjae blinked at Ilhoon a few times and then proclaimed that he was a genius.

     As his friend got dressed, Ilhoon combed out the tangles in his wig and put it on. He really liked the outfit he picked out for the night. He was going to wear his Boy London sweater dress with stockings and creepers. Wearing his favorite brands always made him really happy and he was excited for the fun they were going to have.

     Soon they were both ready and they finally left the house. Crossing dressing was a hobby that started on accident. When they were in middle school the girls in their class decided to put on a fashion show in order to raise money for the class. Unfortunately, two girls that were supposed to be in the show got sick and couldn’t make it so Sungjae and Ilhoon were recruited as last minute replacements. As fate would have it, they both had such a thrill pretending to be females that they decided to do it again and again until it became a habit.

 

     Hyunsik and Changsub decided to celebrate their first day back by going to one of their favorite restaurants. It was a nice night and they had fun discussing which classmates improved over the summer and also about their plans for the school year.

     They were walking down the street laughing when someone caught Hyunsiks eye. She had an elegant air about her yet she still seemed approachable. The girl was leaning against a wall listening to her friend speak animatedly about something. When she smirked, Hyunsik felt everything around him stop.

“Hey, he nudged his friends arm when he snapped out of the reverie, do you see that girl?”

“Which one?” he replied confused.

“The one in front of the really tall girl and wearing Boy London,” he answered allowing his friends eyes to follow his gaze.

“Oh yeah, what about her?”

“I think I’m in love…” he trailed off as his sleepy eyed friend stood dumbstruck.