Welcoming DemiDeveron!

Seventh Haven Writerly Advice & Review Shop | Open & Hiring |

Greetings, readers/subscribers/reviewees/passerbys/strangers,

 

It is to my great pleasure to indroduce to you my very first victim co-reviewer, DemiDeveron.

DemiDeveron, Devi, has been a very good friend of mine and has helped me in my writing by giving very valid input when asked for it. Devi is a very conscientious editor, who is kind and considerate to your authorial voice. In my humble opinion, Devi's writing is one of the better I've seen in AFF, so logically, we can learn from his writing direction!

He is more of an editor than a reviewer, so there might be a transition right there and when he reviews, you will find me in the peanut gallery giving you technicalities if you find it necessary. But all in all, I believe Devi is a great source of useful feedback.

I have taken liberties in interviewing Devi to give us insight on his reviewing process and what kind of reviewer you'd be able to expect from him. So without further ado:

1.Are you a Grammar Nazi? Will you go through a story and make a list of all of the grammatical errors?

I am absolutely NOT a Grammar Nazi! Grammar is one of my weaker points in writing so I don't claim to be an expert in it at all, and therefore probably won't catch all of the grammatical errors in the story that I am reviewing.

However, that doesn't mean that I will just ignore all of the grammar in the story. I will certainly correct any errors that I see such as capitalization errors, spelling errors, misuse of tenses, punctuation errors, etc.

At the very least, I will be the second pair of eyes to help polish it up a bit, but don't expect it to be at a completely professional level >_>

2. What kind of reviewer are you?

I am laid back and open minded for the most part. I really value the authors voice, tone, and style of writing so I am not the type to try and change that at all. I also value the author's opinions, diversity, and views, and I always try to take those into consideration when I am editing or reviewing.

I have about 20 years of experience editing for a professional writer, so my reviewing style might not be exactly what people are used to around here as I also incorporate a lot of editing into it. But rest assured, I will still follow the review rubric of the shop and give you the feedback that you're looking for. In addition to that I will also edit the story as I go along, and you therefore have the option of receiving a word document version of your story via e-mail, so it will be easier for you to see my thoughts, notes, suggestions, and corrections. I will do this for all stories I review, but it's optional for the author to receive the full and complete edited version.

I will never change a sentence on you, I will never alter your voice, or your tone while editing, and I will stay true to, and value your individual style when giving suggestions and opinions. It's not my goal to change your story or your writing. My only concern is to help you improve and polish up your works. On that note, I tend to be very thourough (especially with editing), so you can expect lengthy reveiws and a lot of comments and suggestions from me.

I consider myself a conscientious, respectful, and assertive reveiwer/editor. I try to be as kind as I can during the process. However, I am far from leniant in the way that If I see something that needs correcting, I will point it out no matter how big or small it is. But, not under the pretense of being strict, mean or pushy. I respect the fact that the author has their own idea of how they want their story to be, so my only reason for being thourough in pointing out mistakes is to try and help the author as much as I can by making suggestions that will get the author to think about what needs to be corrected or altered.

3. Rated//Yuri/: Yes or no. And if no, which ones specifically?

I review everything!

4. Any messages for your requesters?

My goal as a reviewer is to be useful to you, to help you improve your story, and to help you polish up your writing. Those are my main goals. I am doing this because I want to help you in whatever way I can. I love editing and reviewing for people because it gives me good insight into other types of writing and I learn a lot. Just please don't expect anything too professional from me! Especially when it comes to grammar! If you're looking for a Grammar Nazi to fix all of your grammatical errors, then I am not the reviewer for you! And please be ready to think for yourself and think outside the box a bit! I will gladly give suggestions and make corrections, but I won't rewrite the story for you. You have to be able to stand on your own two feet. I look at this as a temporary partnership between us. I am here to help you and lend a second pair of eyes, but I am not here to be your crutch!

Please keep in mind, I am new at this reviewing stuff (editing is more my forte). If there's something that I miss or something I didn't cover in your review, or something that really doesn't sit right with you, you can always PM me about it later on and I will address it. But I promise I will do the most professional and satisfactory job for you that I am capable of.

Also, please be patient if you request me! I work a full time job, I am raising two 3 year olds, and I have a husband, a house, and pets to take care of, so your story may not always be my first priority! I will always review as quickly as possible for you, but sometimes my life gets very busy! Thank you in advance for your patience and I look forward to working with you!

5. Favorite genres?

Angst, drama, dark, psychological, thrillers, and mystery. But tbh, those are my favorite genre's to read. I don't really have a preference when it comes to editing or reviewing. I will do it all!

6. Are you a strict/lenient/snarky/soft-spoken/etc. reviewer?

I am definitely not strict or snarky! But I am also not soft spoken. I guess I am somewhere in between. I also wouldn't consider myself lenient because I always point out or say what needs to be said. In that way, I could be considered an assertive reviewer and will point out all flaws or errors that I see, but only in with the goal in mind that I can help the author improve. Not with the goal of trying to force something upon them.

I would consider myself a conscientious and respectful reviewer that values the authors voice and opinions. I value communication, and I am not demanding in my suggestions at all. Because that's what they are- suggestions. Ultimately the story belongs to the author, and it's their choice what corrections they want to make. I would hope that they would take my advice, but if they are totally opposed to it, I won't push the matter.

7. How long does it take for you to do a review?

I will try to get my reviews done in 1-2 weeks, but as I have a family and children and a full time job, my life can get rather busy so at times it may take me several weeks to a month to finish a review depending on the length and complexity of the story.