Chapter 16: Reversed Situation

It Has To Be You

Sunny walked on the school's corridor. It was a fine new morning... A week after Sungmin told her that he loves her. The winds are blowing cooly but Sunny couldn't have walked more awkwardly. She was indeed having a hard time ignoring the stares and gazes and whispers from the people she passed by. Doing her best to avoid meeting the other students' eyes, she searched the school for that one person that she wanted to talk too. Sungmin.

Somehow, she felt relieved and comfortable after realizing her true feelings for Sungmin and she has resolved that she's going to tell him now. Before it's too late. In her head, she kept trying to practice the words she'll tell him -how sorry she is for being so stupid, how thankful she is to him... and how much she loved him. However, she can't remove that gulity feeling in her heart. During the past week, all he's done was avoid her. And she's avoided him too. Now she has the fear that Sungmin is so mad at her and that he won't listen to her explanations. Just the thought of it makes her want to cry.

"Sunny-sshi"

She almost lost her balance when she suddenly stopped. In front of her, Taecyeon stood, gorgeous as ever. But she was amazed that her heart didn't flutter any more at the sight of him. "Oh? Taecyeon-sshi..."

"A- are you okay?" he asked, warily. She nodded, not able to think of anything to say. Her mind is filled with thoughts and worries regarding Sungmin.

"You sure? W-would.. you like to talk to me?" he smiled. She bit her lip as she touched his arm and said "I'm sorry Taecyeon-sshi."

"Why? he looked utterly surprised.

"Just. Just because." 

"S-Sunny-sshi..." 

From the corner of her eye, she saw a familiar looking figure walk past her. She looked over Taecyeon's shoulder to confirm her thoughts. Before she could even think twice, she shouted

"Sungmin-ah!"

Taecyeon was startled and he looked behind him. In fact, Sungmin was the person who just passed by them. He stopped for a moment, turned his head and upon seeing the two, raised his hand in greeting, and flashed a small smile which faded as instantly as he turned away. Around them, the girls were squealing "Oh my Gosh, did you see that? Sungmin-oppa is soo cool!"

Sunny watched him walk. His usual cool aura, carefully styled hair bouncing with every step... walking away as if nothing happened. As if she wasn't his bestfriend. As if he hadn't just confessed to her. As if... he doesn't give a damn. Her jaw couldn't have dropped wider.

"Sunny-sshi" Taecyeon muttered carefully as he touched Sunny's shoulder. She was struck. She couldn't believe what she just saw, her eyes were fixed on the direction Sungmin took until long after he has gone. She bit her lip, trying to fight back the tears that were welling up in her eyes. Tears of frustration, and hurt but more because of the shock. She never expected Sungmin to do that. 

Yes, she thought he would snob her, pretend she didn't exist, wouldn't listen to her explanations. But what did he do? He smiled at her. He freaking smiled at her like nothing happened, and then turned away gracefully. A stubborn tear fell on her right cheek. The words of the girls around her only made matters worse.

 

"Sungmin-oppa didn't even look at her for more than 5 seconds. He's so cool!"

"Of course, what did you think? He'd crawl helplessly and asked that she accepts his love? Haha. Sungmin-oppa's too cool for her!" 

 

"Shut up now. You too."

 

The sudden change of voice and quiet that followed pulled Sunny back to reality. She turned her head and saw Taecyeon glaring at the two Juniors. They looked at each other for a second before breaking out in laughter. "Who's this nerd?" one said before laughing as they walked away.

 

"Taecyeon-sshi. Just. Just let them..." she sniffed. "I... I'll go to class now." she forced a smile and before Taecyon could respond, ran away. She ignored everyone, everything, even the rule that disallowed students to run in corridors. She had to reach class. The class that she and Sungmin take together. She needs to talk to him. Right. Now.

 

She was panting when she reached the classroom. She stopped by the door and caught her breath. She was going to talk to him. She had to explain. She wiped the tears away and turned the knob.

 

So much for talking to him.

 

What welcomed her inside was the usual classroom, which was unusually crazy and disarranged. The usual giggling, fangirling-over-Sungmin girls... and the unusually flirty Sungmin.

She scoffed. Sungmin was sitting in one in the middle of the room, the other chairs disarranged. Five girls around Sungmin. No other boys in sight. She stepped forward, knowing Sungmin noticed her arrival as his eyes caught hers from a split second before he returned to gaze at the girl in front of him. His eyes were blazing, his arms draped over two other girls shoulders and all of them were giggling happily.

Sunny could feel tears welling up on her eyes again, her fist clenching behind her back. She dropped her bag on one empty seat, a little louder than she intended, making everyone in the room turn their heads at her.

 

She adjusted her glasses above her nose before making her way towards the group. They all fell silent, except for Sungmin who laughed softly. 

"May we talk?" She started, checking that her voice doesn't crack.

He shrugged. "Sure" 

She bit her lip, glancing at the girls who were all glaring at her. She could feel herself breaking down. "I mean... just the two of us."

 

Sungmin looked around him, "I'm not sure that's possible..." A sly spark in his eye.

"Why?" she swallowed.

"Well..." he said, removing his arms from the girls and fixing his eyes on Sunny. His words came out slowly. "Someone once told me that birds of the same feather should stay together. So I'm staying with them now."

 

She took a step back, the strength of the words were almost like a physical blow.

 

He smiled charmingly, his eyes smiling as well. "And do you remember who told me that?"

She sniffed. Of course she knew... and before she break down in front of them, she ran away, grabbing her bag and running away from the classroom.

 

"Why had it turned this way?!" she kept asking herself as she sobbed in the bench that used to be their place. "Is it too late?"

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Omona. I felt like crying while I was typing this chapter. =(( Well, just please subscribe and comment. I really feel bad after writing this. Haha. Hope you liked it.