Chapter 02

Teach Me How to Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon woke up early that morning, not being able to sleep well the whole night. Over the years she ended up developing a minor case of insomnia, which kept her up throughout the nights, and would always end up with about three or four hours of sleep each night. Maybe it was because of all the crying she did the first month or so after her parents passed away, she wasn’t too sure.  It wasn’t a healthy habit, though, but she paid it no mind and just continued on with her life.

Nayeon got up, folding the blankets that she slept on and set them in the corner of the room. She preferred to sleep on the ground since it was traditional for Koreans to back in the day. Although people tend to sleep on beds now, she continued to sleep on the floor because, well, she liked it.

She went to prepare for the morning, putting on her uniform afterwards, and then grabbing a quick breakfast downstairs to get ready for school. Her breakfast simply consisted of a bagel. She made sure that the door was securely locked before she started to make her way over to the elevators of the apartment building she lived in. Unfortunately the elevators weren’t working that morning. With a sigh, Nayeon used the stairs to walk down. Five floors wasn’t that high up, so she didn’t complain.

What’s with all these boxes? Nayeon curiously looked at all the cardboard boxes that littered the third floor of the building. She concluded that there were probably some new tenants and that she shouldn’t get so nosy. Nayeon continued on her way to school.

As usual, their teacher came in late again that morning. He even decided to give an excuse to humor the students for once, “A buffalo tried to roll over my car, so I had to get rid of it which took a really long time.”

“Sure it did.” A student rolled his eyes, “I got eyeliner into my eye this morning by accident and almost died, but I made it on time.”

“Baekhyun, I’m the teacher so I can be late.” Kris said to him before continuing on to take attendance. Once he got down to call for a Park Chanyeol, no one answered. “Chanyeol? Not here again? Going once, going twi—”

Before Kris was able to finish his sentence, the door burst open to reveal a tall student with dishevelled hair, probably because he was running judging by the way he was panting.

“Sorry I’m late teacher.” The student gave several bows in apology.

Kris stood staring at the student with an uncaring expression for several moments. “Park Chanyeol?”

“Oh, yes! That’s me. I’m the new student, and I’m sorry I’m late. I must have made a bad impression, didn’t I? I won’t be late again in the future.” The student, Chanyeol, bowed several more times.

“Actually, I don’t care if you’re late or not.” Kris said. “Just go sit down so I can finish with attendance. There’s an empty seat near the back over there next to Nayeon. Nayeon, can you raise your hand so Chanyeol can see where you are? Thanks.”

But of course, Nayeon didn’t bother to raise her hand. She just continued staring out the window. Chanyeol stood at the front of the room awkwardly since no one raised their hand, but concluded that his desk would be the only empty one in the room. As he made his way towards his deskw, whispers started to fill the room.

“Wow, he’s cute.” A girl giggled.

“Do you think he’s single?” another added.

“Like he would go for someone like you.”

Before Chanyeol even made his way down the row that his desk was in, something dropped in front of him. Hyomi gasped and said, “Oops, I dropped by pencil!”

Chanyeol picked up the pencil and handed t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter