Toccata of a Hurting Heart

Capriccio of a Distorted Tune

 

To say that the party was small would be a very big understatement. 
 
Everything about the gathering shows grandeur...from the venue.. guests...participants...even to the staffs and coordinators.
 
It was Woollim Entertainment's 17th Anniversary and everyone that was associated with them was invited even those acts from other companies. It was another successful year for them and for their artists especially to a certain Kim Myungsoo who starred for another drama that hit blockbuster. 
 
Lee Sungjong knew that he was not supposed to be on that party. He may be once associated with that company but that was 7 years ago, before he decided to end his contract with them and settled down in London. He planned to have a father-son bonding with Sean but when a certain choding barged in his apartment's door, carrying a black and white suit for him and his son, he knew that his earlier plan will be put into halt.
 
Recalling his earlier conversation with his hyung, he couldn't hold back the smile that was forming on his lips. Once a choding would always remain a choding.
 
 
"Yah! Maknae... open the door this instant." Sungjong almost spit the coffee he was drinking when Sungyeol's voice reverberated in his apartment. Thinking that it was urgent he sprinted to open the door but decided to bang it against the choding's face when he saw him grinning like a cat that has seen it's prey. The weird thing was the stuff that the choding was carrying. Before Sungjong could bang the door, Sungyeol quickly stepped inside not missing the glare that his dongsaeng was giving him. 
 
"What are doing here this early hyung? And what's with the suit?" The younger immediately interrogated him the moment he settle down on the couch.
 
"You know that Woollim's having a party tonight, right?" Sungjong could only nod to this. Of course he knew and he also knew that he was not invited.
 
"I want you to be my date Jong." 
 
"Are you kidding me, hyung? You know that I am not invited to that party and I would rather spend my night with Sean than to see their faces."
 
"That is why I want you to be my date." Sungyeol argued. He knew how hardheaded his dongsaeng could be and how difficult it was to persuade him to do something. "And I already brought a suit for you and Sean."
 
With that, Sungjong raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean by Sean, hyung?"
 
"Of course, we're bringing Sean with us. The party will be held early this time. Our CEO really planned to make the party early...he is planning to invite you but he knows that you will not attend despite of being invited."
 
"So, that's why you invited me to be your date? Because you know that I could not say no to you."
 
 "No Jjongie, I just want you to be reacquainted with your past. Did you not miss them?"
 
"I may forgive them hyung but I cannot forget what happen 7 years ago."
 
"How about me Jjong? I have sinned against you also."
 
"Your different hyung... you stayed by my side during those times that I needed someone... you did not push me away but you enclosed me with your tender hugs and loving smile... you gave me the warmth and support that I needed the most."
 
"Just this once, Jong. You don't need to talk to them. Attend the party for me, please." Sungjong was not given another choice, for his Sungyeol hyung's sake he would be attending the party even though he knew that he wouldbe hurt again. Afterall, he knew that he should stop running from his past anymore and he should be ready to face them again. Maybe this party would be a good start.
 
"Sometimes, I wonder if I am the last straw that pushed you away from us...if I am the reason why you left South Korea." It was the last words that Sungjong heard from Sungyeol before he turned his back from him to take the suits to his room.
 
 
And that was the reason for Sungjong's current situation. He arrived at the party being Sungyeol's date. He was nervous... nervous for a confrontation to occur and nervous to see them again. He grabbed the hand of his son tightly and with his hyung's supportive hand he gained his composure again. Lot of people, well-wishers, and artists was happy to see him again but among those people none of the members were present. Maybe they were too busy to even welcome or greet him.  Well, he was thankful for that because he was not ready for what would happen if ever he meet one of them. Their CEO was ecstatic seeing him again and almost drowned him in a bear hug. On the other hand, his son was pulled by a bossy little girl requesting him to be his playmate for the night. When he asked Sungyeol to that little girl was, it turned out be a WooGyu's adopted daughter. "So, who's being the hypocrite now?" The little devil in his mind screamed. 
 
After making sure that Sean would be okay, Sungjong grabbed some wine and situated himself in the corner of the hall where in he could see every people in the party. It was then that he saw L who was talking to a well-known photographer. Not so faraway him, was the rest of INFINITE happily talking with each other. Even Sungyeol had joined them. 
 
Being bored of staying in the corner, Sungjong decided to roam around, maybe to go to the garden to get some fresh air. Being in a place with to many people... people that were familiar to him but at the same time strangers, he felt suffocated. Before he could walk further someone glomped him from behind. Not someone, since they're two. It was the Tasty Twins. His Daeryong and Soryong-hyung. "We are really happy to see you Jjong. Here, have some lemon candy." It may be a pun but Sungjong couldn't help to smile. He really missed this disastrous duo. 
 
Sungjong looked quizzically at the lemon candy... their CEO had lemon candy in his party? However, before he could open the sweet treat, the same girl that snatched his son awhile ago tugged the hem of his vest. "Are you going to eat it? If not... I WANT IT!" The girl whined. Sungjong sighed, the girl's attitude was really like his adoptive father... bossy... and naggy. But being a father himself he knew how to give way to little kids. He handed it to the kid but in return the girl just ran away without saying thank you. 
 
Sungjong was supposed to go hunting for the lemon candy but Sungyeol grabbed him towards the rest of INFINITE. And he knew that was the start of the impending doom that he was going to face that night.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Sean was furious. First, he was grabbed by some random bossy girl requesting him to play with her but then he was ditched in the middle of their game saying that he was too boring to play with. Second, he was lost in the middle of a sea of adult people. And lastly, he was hungry and sleepy. He wanted to cry and scream for his father but his mother always reminded him that big boys 'don't cry and crying and crying solves nothing.' But, what really ruined his mood was that bossy and annoying girl. Sean could not recall her name but he was hurt because that girl kept on bullying him, stating that he could not speak Korean well and that he was not what she expected him to be. His dad always told him that he was not supposed to live for someone's expectation because 'he is he.' It was the reason why he argued with that girl, after all, who was she to tell him who he was supposed to be.
 
Sean's face lit up when he saw the man that gave him the packet of lemon candy. At last, there was someone good enough that he could talk to. The man with the scary glared was shaking hands with another man that's looked like to be leaving already. Sean decided to walk towards them.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
L smiled and waved Mr.-he-don't-care-to-ask-his-name-anymore off. He sank down on the sofa that he was sitting, feeling a little tired and above all feeling bored. The party was too bland for his opinion. Suddenly, he felt a slight tug on the sleeve of the suit that he was wearing. He opened his eyes. He hadn't realize that he had close it and stared eye to eye with Sungjong's son.
 
"Hi!" The little kid greeted him enthusiastically with a matching pout on his lips, before clambering to the vacant seat beside him. L just looked at the little boy... wondering how would he deal with him... L was never good with kids... well, Myungsoo was... but now he is L.
 
"Hi... what do you want kid?" L questioned at the same time giving the kid his infamous glare. However the kid was oblivious to it and just continued to smile at him. Sean was really a miniature Lee Sungjong.
 
"Well... I'm bored... so, mister what is your name?" Sean bounced off a little on the sofa.
 
"L." He answered short and precise thinking that his coldness would shoo the kid away.
 
"Silly... I'm asking your first name, not your name initials." Sean answered, pouting cutely.
 
"L... L Kim. What's yours?" L sank down further, quietly surrendering to the kid's interrogation.
 
"Sean Heinrich Lee. So... what are you?" Sean looked at him interestingly.
 
"I am a human being."
 
"Of course... I know you're a human... I mean, do you work?"
 
"I'm an artist."
 
"Wow! That's nice! My father was an artist too but mother said that he had to give it up when I was born." Sungjong was supposed to go back to the industry but when Sean was brought out to this world, he totally gave up the idea of being an artist again and focused on being a responsible father and for the welfare of his own family. 
 
"What are your hobbies, Mr. L?" 
 
"I read books... I also like to take pictures..." especially of your father, L silently added in his mind.
 
"I like to take pictures too but I love to read books the most. Grandfather made me a small library in our house.” Unknowingly, Sean climbed up onto L’s lap. “Tell me a story please…like…uhmm…something that you read from your books. My mother always read me stories, my father would also read me stories, but he usually arrived very late from his office.”
 
 
L had to smile at that. He hadn’t expected that his ex-lover would be an office kind of person. “I don’t know any kind of story kid, so stop bothering me! I am sleepy!”
 
“Please…” Sean looked at L with puppy eyes just like exactly his father’s. L struggled to resist that eyes but ultimately he gave in. “Well…once upon a time, there was a poor couple…”
 
“I know that story! You look sleepy, Mr. L, I’ll tell you a story instead!” Sean smiled excitedly.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Sungjong was involuntarily dragged by Sungyeol towards the rest of the members. The moment the duo reached them, the tension in the air was very thick that it almost suffocated Sungjong. Minutes have passed but silence still engulfed the six of them. Sensing the foreboding doom hanging around the corner, the youngest among them decided to break the silence.
 
“Hyung?” Sungjong looked at Sungyeol, worry evident in eyes. “I need to look for Sean… it's past his bedtime and he hasn’t eaten anything yet. The last time I checked him, he told me that he was hungry and that was hours ago when he was with that bossy little girl.” Sungjong said in one breath but stressed the part of ‘bossy little girl’.
 
Sungyeol had no choice but to let his dongsaeng go. After all, it was for the welfare of Sean. 
 
“Maybe… next time, hyung.” Sungyeol murmured when he saw the disappointed look of his hyungs at the same time squeezing Hoya’s clammy hand. It seems that Sungjong was not the only one nervous for this part of the night. Sungyeol thought.
 
Sungyeol grabbed Sungjong’s hand when he reached him. “Let’s check at the hall. All of the guests were at the buffet now."
 
They walked into the hall and looked around. Sungjong felt at ease when he saw Sean but the weird thing was his son was sitting on his ex-lover’s lap and they were both asleep. L’s tie was crooked and his mouth slightly open. It was a cute sight and Sungjong couldn’t help but chuckle. On the other hand, Sungyeol was shocked. Ever since the absence of their maknae, L had become bitter with the world and to see him with Sean was a big surprise for him. He reached for his phone to take a picture of the two – to take a reminder that Myungsoo still exists. The picture was cute and sweet for Sungyeol’s opinion.
 
They walked over the two and Sungjong gently reached to pick up his son…when the older man stirred awake… “Go away, Gyu… I don’t need your nagging today and your daughter’s whining…’m sleepy…” L murmured. Sungjong and Sungyeol looked at each other holding back their smiles. The youngest managed to pick up his son up but the kid’s hold on L’s tie was too tight. In the process, Sungjong ended up waking both of them.
 
“What...” L woke up groggy and saw Sungjong. “Oh, it’s you.” He got up and roughly removed Sean’s hand from his tie. “Your kid talks too much! He got no manners…well, he’s your kid though…I could not expect less!”
 
L was out of the door before Sungjong could reply. The sound of the banged door resonated loudly throughout the empty hall. Sungjong stared at his hyung, hurt. “That was uncalled for… I didn’t dump my son on his lap and he could always have told Sean to leave him alone! That bastard.”
 
Sungyeol sighed and shrugged. “Don’t mind him Jjong. I guess he just want to forget. It must been hard for him, seeing you here with your son…the kind of wreck that he was when…” Sungyeol stopped abruptly. “Let’s go home Jjong. I’ll drive you home.”
 
“Wreck… what do you mean by that hyung?” Sungjong reached out for Sungyeol’s  suit to stop him but the latter only took Sean from him and led him to the car. Sean was agitated when they tried to put him in the car and woke up cranky and started to cry loudly. It took all their attention to calm him and the question that was previously asked was forgotten for a moment.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
L stepped into the shower, feeling a little ashamed of himself. He had no reason to act like that, moreover he had no reason to be cutting, but it was the only remedy to the pain that he was dealing with. It was all he could do for his ex-lover not to realize that he was also hurting because of their separation. Damn! Sean was a nice kid…probably 100% better that WooGyu’s daughter , Hyerin. He’d actually enjoyed the time that he spent together with him.
L sighed. There was no point in meeting Sungjong again. He would have to try his best to keep his emotions and feelings under control, which meant he couldn’t be very civil…and then Sungjong would hate him even more. onsidering they broke up because L couldn’t control his temper and ended up hurting the two of them in the process.
The former visual turned the shower off and stepped out. He smirked looking at his reflection in the mirror. One of the guests and his loyal fan told him how much he was adored. He had also been praised and told that a hundred or even thousands of people wished for his life. L almost laughed. The famous L Kim, who was supposed to have the best life anyone could wish for. 
"You can take it. Take my life people…" he kicked the cabinet below the sink in anger. Why did their maknae has to come back?
 
 

 

Hi~ This is the co-author (for those of you who know me, ha-ha! Skip this, because I write nonsense in my author's notes..xD)
No, just kidding please read this,, it's a message from Rhay oenni~~

She says that she is terribly sorry for the delay, and for going to haitus without any notice....
You see, college life is hard and she took time to rest~ Hope you understand~
She is so grateful for all the lovely comments that you gave to the previous chapter
And, thank you for subscribing!~^^

Until next time~^^

tumblr_mk5uliOM1X1rd30j1o2_500.gif