Leave

Skate On Skater "Boy"

 

Leave

"I don't want to be a burden to you...it's best if I leave..." You look down to the ground, not wanting to make eye contact with Zelo. 

"If it's what you want...I can’t do anything can I?" His voice cracks, "Promise me you'll be safe?" 

Cupping your face with his hands, you both take a moment to admire each others faces before you leave. His face inches closer towards yours and his lips grace the middle of your forehead gently. You feel your face get hot as he awkwardly drops his hands to his side. 

Letting out a cough, you begin to speak as if nothing happened; "I should go now..." 

Zelo looks at you and nods before handing something to you. Accepting it with both hands, you realize he had given you a skateboard. 

"What's this for?" You ask, examining the board. 

"It's my skateboard..." He slowly spoke, "I want you to keep it...so you don't forget me...because....I don't want to forget you." 

Not knowing how to react, you nod your head and quietly open the door to make your leave. Grabbing your hand, Zelo offers to walk you out. You dreaded every step as much as he did. A part of you wanted to stay, but you knew you’ve already overstayed your welcome.

 

As you reach the exit of the building in silence, he spins you around and hugs you tightly. The side of your face is squished into his chest.

"Let's meet again one day." He whispers into your ear. 

You skate into the bright neon lights of Seoul trying to find your way home. Skating into the outskirts of town, the lights behind you that shone brightly began to disappear. 

The door was still slightly ajar when you found your house. Squeezing through the narrow crack, you quietly stepped onto the creaking floorboards. Searching through the house, your dad was nowhere to be found. Breathing a sigh of relief, you started to throw all his beer bottles into a trash bag. You packed your belongings into a duffle bag and cleaned up the house in the dark.

 

Soon morning came; the house looked like it was new. Finding the landlady, you gave the house back to her and retrieved the money from it. Travelling to nearby neighbourhoods, you began to search for a new home. 

On a quiet street, you find a small rooftop house that you're able to afford. Plopping onto the worn out mattress in the room, you fall asleep. 

Months passed, but the memories of Zelo did not. His skateboard soon felt like your own skateboard. Everywhere you went, the skateboard went. Even though you dropped out of school, you were able to find a job at a skateboard repair shop. Being able to survive alone, you were proud of yourself. But there was something you needed to clear up. 

Zelo. 

You pull your hair back into a baseball cap, making sure you look more like a boy than a girl. It wasn’t a good idea to get caught looking for him like a girl.

 

Skating back to Seoul, you go back to the building where Zelo lives. You found the door to the room to be slightly ajar. Sneakily walking into the room, it was clear of everything, the wooden floor was shining, and the windows were wide opened, not a single piece of furniture to be found. 

They probably moved...

Holding up Zelo's skateboard, you let out a big sigh of disappointment. You knew that this was the only chance you had of meeting him again.

 

I should’ve come earlier…

 

Looking out the window across the room, you curse under your breath and decided that it was hopeless to find him now, so you begin to make your way out, but a long shadow startles you. 

"Zelo?" You ask quietly with a small bit of hope in your heart.

The shadow creeps closer towards you. Shooting your head upwards, the tall body of a man shocks you. Looking at his face, you realize that it was Zelo who appeared.


A smile forms on your face as you wrap your arms around each other. 

With one hand, he removes your cap, letting your long, wavy, black hair fall on top of your shoulders and around your face. He smiles and leans in to kiss you on the lips. Your eyes get wider as you feel his lips on your lips. Even though you were surprised, his presence calmed you and your eyes began to slowly close in the moment. Finally letting go, he pulls your head into his chest. 

"I missed you." He hugs you tighter. 

"I missed you too."