These Days

True Love Waits

 

 

 

"It will be hurt, but only for a moment." said Dr. Oh while he was injecting Yuri with serum. It's been 1 week since Yuri was hospitalized, but since then her condition isn't getting any better. Dr. Oh always reminds Yuri to drink water and rest well. If Yuri dehydration or catch a cold, it will damage her health very badly.

Unfortunately, Yuri couldn't hear Dr. Oh's words. She winced in pain when the needle pierced in her arm. Dr. Oh left the needle in her arm for a second before he finally pull it off and cause Yuri to scream. "Does it hurt? I'm very sorry." Dr. Oh apologized. Yuri shook her head. She tried to bear with the pain, it's not like she's never done it before.

"Doctor?" she called. Dr. Oh placed the injection on the table near him and turned around to face Yuri.

"Yeah?" Dr. Oh replied while he takes off his gloves.

"When will I be able to go home?" Yuri asked without looking at him.

Dr. Oh sighed. "You can't go home with your condition like this. You also need the serum everyday for your antibiotic because the pills can't do it anymore." he explained.

"The pills can't do any good for me? Does it mean that I will die?"

Dr. Oh shook his head. "If you can't take your antibiotic from your pills, you can take it by serum. There's other way to heal you beside pills and treatment." he said calmly.

"Will I heal perfectly?" Yuri asked again. Her eyes were focused on Dr. Oh's lips movement. Even for herself, the question sounds stupid.

"There's a chance if you do the operation." Dr. Oh answered lightly. Yuri stared at her feet. Operation, the word that scared her the most. She refused to do the operation because the stakes of being in coma is high. Not just that, she doesn't want to lose her life in a stupid operation to decrease the spreading of her infection and inflammation, Yuri remembered  the doctor said that it can't heal her 100%, it also can't restore her hearing. The function of the operation is just to decrease her infection and inflammation so it wouldn't cause Yuri to lose control of her body or be even more sicker. But still, to imagine there's a knife inside her head scared the hell out off her.

"But you shouldn't let it bothers you. Just think about it clearly this time, alright?" asked Dr. Oh. Yuri nodded slowly.

"That guy is your regular visitor, huh?" teased Dr. Oh when he saw Woohyun knocked the door. Since Yuri was hospitalized, Woohyun never absent to visit Yuri. It's rare to have Yuri visited by someone, because Dr. Oh realized that Yuri isn't the type of socialite girl. The one who visits Yuri and taken care of her is only her sister, Tiffany. And now Woohyun.

Yuri turned her head into the door and she saw Woohyun was standing there stiffly. Woohyun has been visiting her lately. Perhaps to prove that his words are true. But what Yuri didn't know is that Woohyun have another intention than just only to prove his words. He wants to know Yuri better, and to see her eyes fill with joy. Even if all this time Woohyun didn't say anything about it, he realized that Yuri's smiles are all fake. Even when Yuri smiled, her eyes were full of sadness. No one realized it, except Woohyun. No one intends to fix her, except Woohyun. Sometimes Woohyun wonders if her sadness because of her disability or loneliness. There's nothing Woohyun could do about her disability, but there's something he could do about her loneliness. Woohyun didn't want Yuri to fake a smile for him or anyone. He wants to see her smile from her heart with no forced.

"Yuri, I must go. Don't forget to drink your water and rest well okay?" Dr. Oh said. Yuri nodded and smiled.

"I will." she answered. Dr. Oh looked at her with satisfied stare and walked out from the room. He greeted Woohyun formally at the door and left.

After Dr. Oh left, Woohyun moved his feet closer to Yuri's bed. He gave Yuri a short smile.

"How are you?" Woohyun asked.

Yuri raised her eyebrows. "I thought you gave up just like the others," she said.

Woohyun let go a brief laugh. "I'm different." he answered flatly.

Yuri scoffed at him in disbelief. This guy is so stubborn in so many ways. "You're indifferent." Yuri replied lightly.

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"No."

"Yes."

Woohyun wonders if Yuri knows how stubborn she is. Woohyun's thought about her being a quiet girl is all wrong. It turns that not all mysterious girls are quiet.

"What about we go outdoor today?" Woohyun asked suddenly. Woohyun never once saw Yuri stepped outdoor since she was hospitalized. And perhaps because of that her mood also bad. Woohyun feel bad if he did nothing to cheer on her. He also promised to himself that he'll do something about Yuri's loneliness.

Yuri narrowed her eyes. "What?"

"You. And. I. Us. Outdoor." Woohyun tried to make his lips movement clear to her.

"No. The doctor said I must drink much and rest well. So, I can't."

"Oh come on. That doctor will surely understand." he tried to convince her.

"No."

"I will buy you ice cream and candies," he said to Yuri with sad puppy eyes.

Yuri bite her lips with hesitation. "Where will we go?"

Actually, Woohyun knows Yuri will asked him that. Girls will definetely agree when a guy offered her sweet things.

Woohyun just smiled at her. "Outdoor." he answered softly.

 

***

 

The sun sneak a peak from the cloud, and spreading a little warm. Yuri pointed at the cage at the corner. Woohyun looked at the direction Yuri's pointing.

"Do you know that emperor penguin is my favorite animal?" he asked Yuri calmly.

"I have no idea. I thought you are the type of careless guy," Yuri replied as she walked to the cage she pointed earlier. Woohyun sighed and followed her without a word.

Yuri amazed when she saw the emperor penguins inside the cage. They was playing with each other and some of them were swimming in the pool. But there's something awkward for her. How do the penguins live when there's no ice inside the cage? Yuri focused her eyes inside the cage, but she couldn't find any ices. The cage looked like a garden with a swimming pool in it. 

Woohyun took a deep breath. "The staffs will move the penguins to the aquarium inside at 2 o'clock. There'll be ice, and the temperature is cold. The penguins are here temporarily for visitor's interest only." Woohyun explained. Yuri blinked for a few minutes. Did he just read her mind?

He stared at her. "No, I'm not reading your mind. I'm just explaining of things you didn't know." Woohyun answered.

Yuri moved her head to the right in confusion. Does he really a mind-reader? 

"I can't do mind reading, no one could do it. You're assuming right now," Woohyun said lightly.

You're a monster! Yuri thought. Her eyes widened in shock.

Woohyun scoffed at her. "I'm fully human, and you should talk right now. You don't have any disabilities in speaking, right?" he raised his eyebrows.

"You are a monster! How you did it?" Yuri raised her voice. 

"I didn't do anything. Like I said, you're assuming." he replied with a flat tone.

If only Yuri could say that she couldn't hear his voice and only read his lips movement, she will ruined the whole things. She liked it. The cloudy weather, Woohyun near her, emperor penguins, mind-reader, everything. She enjoyed the feel of him teasing her. But how long will it lasts? 

"I can't hear you," she said softly.

Woohyun about to repeats when she suddenly stopped him. "I don't know what you are saying, and I will never understand you. I couldn't hear your words, and I will never be able to. So please, tell me so at once. Why do you stay? You should leave, like others. In case you forget, I'm dying. There's no point of be friends with someone near death." Yuri continued. She stared at him, and patiently waiting for his answer. 

There's silence covered both of them, before eventually Woohyun answered.

"Couples of emperor penguins are formed based on attraction and the relationship lasts the entire breeding season. As long as the breeding season, a father penguin will be faithful and genuinely execute his duties to incubate the eggs. He will waits while the female penguin left for food. No matter how long it takes for the female penguin to search food, he will stay and be faithful about her coming back again. Even though in the end they will generaly break apart and find new mates for the next breeding season. I always wish to be faithful like the father penguin, and now this is my chance. I will be faithful about my promise to you." Woohyun explained.

Yuri sighed. She doesn't know what to believe. Woohyun's words are everything Yuri had dreamed. She didn't know, until now that faithfulness exists. People come and go away in her life. People feel sympathy for her and left when her condition gets worse. It's her first time to know that people who truly care for her do exists. First, Tiffany, and now Woohyun. 

"Your words are very touching, but I will not cry." Yuri said and laughed. There's little tears on the corner of her eyes, but she tried to hide it with her laugh.

Woohyun's heart moves. That laugh. He knows that this time Yuri's laugh is purely came from her heart. She laughs like nothing happened. Like nothing ever happened.

"You looked ugly when you cry. Remember the last time when you are so touched and cried because of my words?" Woohyun .

"Hey! I'm not ugly!" she yelled and hit him hard with her elbow. 

Woohyun winced in pain. "You're such a bad girl!" he yelled back at her and laughed. 

Yuri started to run away from Woohyun. But Woohyun chased her from behind and called her name. They didn't mind the people watching them. 

The truth is, Yuri looks as radiant as the sun.

 

***

 

Woohyun stopped writing and moved his head to the side when someone called his name.

"Hey Woohyun, what are you doing?" Hoya patted his back and peeped at Woohyun's note book. Hoya had been curious about Woohyun lately. He seems very distant and talk rarely. He also skipped basketball practice every week. What happened to the playful Woohyun?

Hoya couldn't help but coughs when he saw what Woohyun's writing on the note book.

I dreamed a dream when I fulfill my promise for being faithful. Could I really fulfill my promise?

"Woa, I can't believe you could be this poetic," Hoya . Woohyun closed his note book in fast move and keep it away from Hoya.

Woohyun gave him a deadly glare. "Thank you for your compliment." he replied with a grin.

Hoya scoffed. "Woohyun, don't be so stiff. I was kidding," he smiled apologizing.

Woohyun rolled his eyes.

"Seriously, Woo." Hoya assured him. Woohyun didn't reply back. He's too tired to deal with Hoya. Woohyun silently knows Hoya's business with him. Hoya was sent by the basketball leader, Sunggyu to asked about Woohyun's absence. They said Woohyun is a brilliant point guard, and that's why Sunggyu always maintain him in the team.

"Hoya, why is Sunggyu sending you and not the others to talk to me?" Woohyun suddenly asked without looking at him.

"Uh... It's because... They was busy... I..." Hoya stammered.

"Hoya, you're my closest friend and my best friend. So please, don't ruin my mood, okay? I don't feel like talking about my absence or my problems today." Woohyun explained. He faced Hoya with a cold look on his eyes.

Hoya shut his mouth. He understands why Woohyun were so annoyed. Hoya heard the gossip about Woohyun going out with a girl. And no, Hoya knows she's not just an ordinary girl. It's Kwon Yuri, the disabled girl. Woohyun could date every girl he wants, but why it has to be Yuri? Hoya didn't say anything, but the truth he also had feelings for Yuri. It all started 2 years ago, when they was juniors. Hoya didn't understand the algebra things, and he asked for help to his classmates. No one care, except Yuri. At that moment, Hoya didn't know Yuri is a disabled girl. Yuri came to Hoya and helped him study until late afternoon. She tried to adjust with Hoya's lips movement, but Hoya didn't realize. 1 week after that, the news about Yuri can't hear spreading all over the school. She was bullied, but she stood still. Hoya fall for her almost from the very first time they met. Then, in the second year of high school, Woohyun came. He attracted and break a lot of girls heart and became popular. No matter how hard Hoya tried to get the position as the point guard, Woohyun always won. And now, he won Yuri's heart too. Hoya regretted that he didn't get the chance to get to know Yuri better. He only could observed her from a distance. But still, it isn't fair. Why Woohyun always gets what he wants?

"Woohyun, don't be so naive. I know you're close to that deaf girl. Is she the one who changed you?" Hoya raised his voice in anger. He's getting sick of Woohyun's attitude.

Woohyun glanced sharply at Hoya. "Don't you dare to badmouth Yuri." he said.

"Look at you. I never thought Woohyun the emperor could fall in love with a flaw girl like her." Hoya replied. His eyes shiny amused.

Woohyun stood up. He hit the table hardly until the other students stared at them in curiosity. "Shut your mouth up!" he gritted his teeth.

"Just stop act as a good guy, I know you aren't. Don't you pitied her?" Hoya asked in a sarcastic tone.

"You don't know a thing about her."

Hoya stared at Woohyun without blinking. "I do." he answered.

Woohyun raised his eyebrows. "You barely knew her." Woohyun scoffed.

"I observed her since we met. I know you're no good for her, so you should stay away. She hurts, Woohyun. You're only gonna to break her apart." Hoya said, half whispering.

Woohyun grinned. "And you think you're good enough for her? You think you aren't gonna break her apart? You think you're better than me?" he questioned.

Hoya closed his eyes. He can't find words to answer and he feels like a fool. He just stood there like a statue.

Woohyun moved closer to Hoya. He tapped Hoya's shoulder. "I promised Yuri to be faithful. You are my best friend, right? You know me. I never broke my promises." he whispered.

Woohyon took a step forward, but then he suddenly stopped. "Oh, and you should be there for her." Woohyun continued with sharpness in his tone.

 

***

 

"Tiffany eonni, you're a psychologist, right?" Yuri stared at her sister who just came.

Tiffany nodded. "Yes. What is it, Yul?" she asked back.

"Eonni, what's the definition of love?" Yuri asked softly.

Tiffany's eyes widened at the sudden question. There's a short silence, before finally Tiffany took a deep breath and answered. "Bad, so bad. Hurts, hurts so much. What we call love." she answered calmly.

Yuri closed her eyes. I'm sorry if I'm both your umbrella and rain. I'm the one who fall for you, but I'm also the one who will bring sadness to you.

 


LizFelizy is here!

I'm just spending my time watching videos on YouTube when I suddenly found Sunggyu's song, I Need You. There's my favorite part of the song that explained perfectly Yuri's feelings;

The moment I’ve always dreamed about breaks down

And after everyone I believed

would stay by me, leaves

I’m left alone

You, who came to me

who was full of loneliness and hurt

So, I decided to show the MV here. Tiffany's definition of love and Yuri's thought ( I'm sorry if I'm both your umbrella and rain)  are also inspired by Tablo's quotes. I didn't know where or when the inspiration came, but then I decided to added Hoya in this story :3 his character is very carefree and sometimes careless. But again, I won't make this story too long and boring. Thank you for reading this chapter! I hope it doesn't make you yawn :( don't forget to subscribe, comments, and up votes. Thank you very much ^^