Her Name

True Love Waits

There's someone in class who caught Woohyun's eyes. There's nothing special on her, except the hurtful glance when she looked at someone. It's been a month since they're classmates, but they never dare to talk with each other. The girl is also quiet and mysterious. Right after the class finished, she will gone mysteriously from her seat. As far as he knows, she has no friends. No one also talked about her. She's just like the wind, blows then disseapeared. One day, Woohyun accidentally noticed that the girl is shaking when someone's talking to her. But then again, there's no sign of fear in her eyes. There's just a sign of hurt. Woohyun wonders how that girl could live if she's always been hurt?

"Yuri-ya, have you done the physics homework?" asked a girl with a light brown hair. Woohyun stared at them in curiosity. It's just another boring day in the class . The sun refused to show its light and keep on hiding behind the cloud. The day wasn't a sunny day like what the reporter predicted this morning, and Woohyun hates cloudy weather. The couldy weather always indicates something bad will happen. 

Woohyun stunned. Yuri? So, it's her name? 

Yuri looked confused. She bite her lower lip. "I'm sorry, Jessica-sshi. Could you reply what you said?" said Yuri. She moved her position in front of Jessica. Her eyes looked neutral. But Woohyun still finds the hurtful glance she tried to hide. 

Jessica raised her eyebrows. "I said, have you done the physics homework?" she asked again with a loud voice. 

Yuri smiled. "Yes, I have done it. Why?"

"Oh. May I borrow your homework?" Jessica asked with a cute-but-pitiful tone. Yuri narrowed her eyes.

"You want to what?" she said. Woohyun took a dreep breathe when she listened to Yuri. It's just his feelings or Yuri can't hear Jessica? 

"I want to borrow your homework. May I?" Jessica repeated her question impatiently. 

"I can't, it againsts the rule." Yuri explained with a weak smile. Jessica stared at Yuri with an annoyed expression. 

"For God's sake! I just want to borrow your homework! I'm not stealing or anything!" she yelled at Yuri.

Woohyun shook his head. How could a girl like Jessica exists in this world? Borrowing homework isn't stealing, but it stills against the rule. Pabo.

Yuri narrowed her eyes. "I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?" Yuri asked when she saw Jessica is yelling at her. But she can't hear any voices. Yuri could read Jessica's lips movement, but it was too fast to read. Everything around her is just vision, and no sounds. It was Yuri's weakness, not be able to hear anything. 

"Screw you!" Jessica shouted angrily at her. Yuri bite her lower lip when she finally understands Jessica's lips movement telling her to screw away. She hates it, she hates it so much. She hates when people mad at her because of her lack. Yuri wished she could screamed and yelled back at Jessica, but she knows she can't. It was her fault. Not to be able to hear, it's her fault. 

Should I chase her and apologize? It was my fault, after all. Yuri stared at the door.

Before Yuri could move her feet, someone tapped her back. She looked back and found a guy was looking at her in worried. 

"What is it?" Yuri asked.

The guy say something, but it's impossible for Yuri to hear it. Yuri's eyes widened when she read the guy's lips movement.

Blood. And the guy was pointing at her ear. Yuri moved her hands to her left ear. He was right, there was blood coming from it. A hot, sticky, and red blood.

Yuri felt her world turning around and her ears buzzing. She tried to hold on the table to hang on, but her hands are shaking. It was all black and Yuri fell hard on the ground.

 

***

 

"Are you her guardian?" a doctor came out from the emergency room and looked at Woohyun in confusion. Woohyun shook his head.

"I already asked the receptionist to contact Yuri's family." he answered. The doctor nodded. He seems too young to be a doctor, but Woohun heard he's one of the best doctor in South Korea indeed. 

"You're Yuri's boyfriend, right?" the doctor asked lightly. Woohyun shocked at the doctor's statement. Boyfriend? They barely knew each other, and never talked before. 

When Woohyun stood still without an answer, the doctor continued. "Am I wrong?" he asked. 

Woohyun gave him a little smile. "I'm Yuri's classmate. I'm there when Yuri collapsed, so I brought her here." Woohyun explained.

The doctor stared at Woohyun. "Do you know Yuri is suffering from meningitis?" the doctor asked suddenly. 

Woohyun raised his eyebrows. "I'm sorry, what?" Woohyun didn't sure about what he just heard. Meningtis?

Realize that Woohyun didn't know anything about the disease, the doctor decided not to said anything further. The doctor tapped Woohyun's shoulder. "Yuri will be fine. She's a strong girl, and you should take a rest." the doctor said and walked away. 

Strong girl, huh? If Yuri that strong, why do Woohyun keeps on finding the hurtful glance in Yuri's eyes? Wooohyun remembered that moment before Yuri palayzed. Her black eyes looked at Woohyun for the first time, and Woohyun felt his heart skipped a beat. Her stare full of hurt, but still warm. Then again, Woohyun wonders how that girl could live if she's always been hurt?

 

***

 

Yuri woke up because the smell of sterile room. Her head still ache, but Yuri tried to ignore it. She looked around and her eyes widened when she found her sister standing at the corner of the room. 

"Tiffany eonni, I thought you're still in Jeju Island," Yuri said in shocked. 

Tiffany smiled. "Well, I just came here today. Jeju isn't that far from here, you know." she answered. Yuri narrowed her eyes to read Tiffany's lips movement. 

"Yuri, am I talking too fast?" Tiffany asked. Yuri gave her a weak smile and nodded. 

"Should I use your language?" she asked again. Yuri stared at her palms. It's been quite a long time since Yuri used sign language.

Before Yuri could said anything, Tiffany already moved her hands. She shaped her hands into a circle, and then moved her fingers with rhytm. Tiffany then touched the corner of her head with her index finger. For someone who started to learn sign language 2 months ago, Tiffany is already great at it. 

Yuri took a deep breathe when she translated Tiffany's hands movement. "I met Dr. Oh and he said you haven't take your medicines lately. If you don't take your medicines daily, you then must do the operation. Do you understand?" 

"Tiffany eonni, my neck feels stiff whenever I drink the medicines. That's why I stopped from consuming the medicines. But eonni, I will not die, right?" Yuri asked in worried. Tiffany answered her with a smile.

"Dr. Oh will meet you to do some medical check-up. You could ask him later. Meanwhile, I want to go and grab some coffee. Yul, don't go anywhere, okay?" Tiffany said and moved her hands. She translated her words into sign language, so that Yuri could understands what she's saying.

Yuri nodded. Tiffany smiled and walked out from the room. 

It's been two years since she was diagnosed for meningitis. Menangitis is inflammation of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. The doctor said meningitis could cause death because of the inflammation's proximity to the brain and spinal cord. The condition is also classified as medical emergency. The patient who diognosed for menangitis will suffer from headache, photophobia (inability to tolerate light), or loud noises (phonophobia). Because the menangitis in her brain, she couldn't be a able to hear. And if the inflammation spread, it could make Yuri lose control of her body. The doctor already asked her to do the operation, but Yuri rejected the offer. She didn't want to believe the fact that she's dying. 

The door swung open, and someone walked in. Yuri turned her head to the side, trying to see the person more clearly. Her eyes widened when she saw it was a guy from her school. She didn't recognize who it was, but based on his looks, he must be one of Yuri's schoolmates.

"Who are you?" she asked slowly. 

The guy refused to stare back at Yuri. He just stood there and looked down on his feet.

"Who are you?" Yuri asked again.

The guy looked up and stared at Yuri. His eyes were dark, but beautiful. Yuri felt like she's ever looked at those dark eyes.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you. My name's Woohyun. I came just to check if you're awake or not, and it seems you're already awake so..." he said slowly.

Yuri smiled. She understands what exactly he's trying to said. Yuri also realized that Woohyun tried not to troubled her with his pace of talking, so he's talking slowly. 

"I'm Kwon Yuri. It's nice to see you." Yuri smiled widely. 

Woohyun looked at her. Yuri's smile is so warm. Woohyun swore he could feel his heart beats faster because of that smile. For a minute, there's a awkward silence bertween them.

"You know, people these days are just like you. They will visit me for sympathy and left. They keep bull of promises that they'll come back, but they never did. I suppose you will do the same, right?" she asked suddenly. 

Woohyun grinned. He never thought that way before. All he wants is to get to know her better, not to leave her. But Yuri's words make Woohyun noticed something. Is it her scar? People always walk away from her. Does Yuri hurt because of it? 

"I'm different." he mumbled.

"Different? You're indifferent to me, indeed. Will you change your mind and leave me if I tell you that I'm gonna die anytime soon?" Yuri asked with a sarcastic tone. She looked at Woohyun and surprised when the guy didn't show any expressions. 

"No." Woohyun answered flatly. If only Yuri could heard him, perhaps Yuri will be questioning about how he could manage to answered so flatly to the question.

Yuri closed her eyes when she felt somethig fell down on her cheeks. Yuri sheds of tears. Even though she couldn't heard Woohyun, but she could feel the sincerity in his words. Her heart was moving. She knows exactly that people changes, and he will walk away in the end. But for the very first time of her life, she feel happy to be comforted by a lie. Even if Woohyun will leave, it doesn't matter.

"You will regret it, you know." Yuri said in the middle of her teardrops. 

Woohyun smiled. "I'll never gonna regret something from my own will." he said.

She tried to wipe away her tears with her hands. "You're not going to last." Yuri glared at Woohyun.

"But I'm going to stay at least." Woohyun replied.