A New Beginning

A New Beginning *UPDATE*

It was the day of the baby shower and I got ready. Grabbing the gift bag full of baby clothes, I headed out the door and to the venue. Manager Bi and his wife are having a girl and just in luck that I was shopping for Jihye's baby as well since I missed their baby shower, so I thought I'd buy them a gift as well. I believe Jihye and Tae Hee were pregnant the same time, but I could be wrong. Jihye would be joining me to the baby shower, so she came pick me up.

Jihye: You look nice.

Me: I could say the same for you. I got you a gift along with baby Yoora's gift too.

Jihye: Gaeul you didn't have to.

Me: I wanted to. I felt bad missing your baby shower while I was away.

Jihye: Can't wait to open it. Let's go to the baby shower.

I nodded and we drove off to the venue. I knew the place well, so we didn't need GPS. It took us about 30 minutes to get there and an addition 5 minutes to find parking since a lot of people came to the baby shower. After finding a spot, we got out of the car and walked towards the security guard standing outside.

Security Guard: Can I see you invitations please?

We showed him our invitation cards and he nodded.

Security Guard: Thank you. Go on inside.

We bowed to the guard and walked inside.

Jihye: They sure went all out with the guards.

Me: I know.

We followed the arrows leading us to the party and entered. We found the present table and set our presents on there. Looking for the soon-to-be parents, after much searching we found them all the way in the front.

Tae Hee: Gaeul! Jihye! I'm so glad you two could make it.

Me: I came home just in time.

Tae Hee: Oh, when did you get back?

Me: Three days ago.

Tae Hee: Wow. How was it? Studying abroad.

Me: Oh it was super fun. I just wished I could've done it sooner, but it was great. I'm leaving again in two years to continue with the studies.

Tae Hee: Wow. I bet it is fun.

Me: You've gotten as big as Jihye. You both look like you're about to burst any time soon.

Tae Hee: I know. I'm exhausted. Jihye, do you have feet pain?

Jihye: *laugh* All the time. Now I'm walking like a penguin.

Tae Hee: Oh my gosh me too!

Me: Wow, this is a conversation I can't relate to.

Jihye: A conversation between two pregnant ladies.

Me: Yeah. So where's the soon-to-be father?

Tae Hee: He went to go pick up Jong Suk.

Me: Oh.

Tae Hee: You two haven't seen each other for awhile now right?

Me: Yeah, ever since I quit my makeup stylist job.

Tae Hee: Hm.. I know you probably don't want to hear it, especially from me but Jong Suk talks about you a lot these days.

Me: Oh.

Jihye: Yeah, he calls me to see how you're doing in the States and all. If you've found a new boyfriend or talking to someone.

Me: What did you tell him?

???: She told me it's none of my business.

I turned around and he was standing in front of me.

Jong Suk: It's been awhile Gaeul.

Me: Uh, yeah it has. How have you been?

Jong Suk: I've been well. Been working on new things.

Me: Yeah I've heard.

Jong Suk: How have you been? Studying abroad and all.

Me: It’s been great actually. I met a lot of people and made new friends..

Jong Suk: Did you meet anyone new in your life?

Me: By new you mean have I found a new boyfriend?

Jong Suk: Uh yeah if you don't mind me asking.

Me: No I haven't. I don't want to be in another relationship if I'm going to be travelling to study which is going to be for awhile.

Jong Suk: Oh. That's good. Setting goals for yourself. Are you going to come back as my makeup stylist?

Me: Probably not. I'm probably just going to work part-time at shops or cafes. Whatever works for me. Maybe I might come back as a makeup stylist but for someone else.

Jong Suk: Oh, okay.

Me: Did you want me to come back?

Jong Suk: Maybe..

Me: I'm sorry Jong Suk, but there are things I shouldn't go back and repeat in life you know? We both have to walk different paths now. What I've learned while studying abroad is that we all can't repeat what we've done in the past to make history repeat. There's things we simply just can't go back to and I've learned that the hard way. What we had in the past was great, but don't you think it's time for us to move on and go on our separate ways?

Jong Suk: But I still love you Gaeul.

Me: And I love you too, but if fate wanted to bring us back together, then wouldn't we be together already? If we were together again, then would you have stopped me from going abroad? No. You didn't stop me from studying abroad, you didn't stop me from quitting my job and pursuing my dreams. We went on different paths and continued with our lives. This was what we chose to do. Maybe fate is telling us that there's someone else for us and that we have a different purpose in someone else's life instead of each other.

Jong Suk: Since when did you grow up? I finally saw the woman Kim Gaeul became. She's not a little girl I used to know.

Me: I have grown up a lot and I've seen what the world has given me. You should too. What we had in the past was great, I appreciate all the happy memories you've given me, but now it's time to write a new chapter in our lives. Don't you agree?

Jong Suk: Yeah, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends right?

Me: Of course we can be friends.

Jong Suk: Then from today on, we have become friends.

Me: *laugh* Okay.

-One Year Later-

Me: I can't believe I'm leaving to San Francisco soon!

Jihye: Do you have to leave?

Me: Yes.

Jihye: Who's going to help me?

Me: Yoogeun and Minho.

Jihye: Really. *poker face*

Me: What? I've helped you raise Yoora and now look at her. She's one year old and now you've got it easy. Trust me. If Yoogeun and Minho are giving you problems just call me. I knock some sense into them from miles away okay?

Jihye: Okay.

Yoogeun: Uh, we're right here.

Minho: Yeah, we're not invisible.

Me: Well, I gotta go! I'll see you guys soon! Bye!

Jihye: Bye! Have a safe trip!

As I was walking to my terminal, I got a text from Jong Suk.

After texting him back, I put my phone on airplane mode and entered the terminal to the plane. I gave them one last wave before leaving. Here's to a new life and new beginnings.


Hi guys! It's Karrie! How am I doing? Let me know in the comments below! I would really like to hear your opinions. Bad or good, it'll help me improve a lot in whatever I am lacking! I've made a lot of changes for my previous stories I've written in the past and to make it easier and less details. I tend to add a little too much details and edited some details out. I still hope you guys enjoy it considering the minor changes I've made. It's been awhile since I've been on this account.. I'm more active on my other one working on other stories there that I abandoned this account. Well, I don't have much to say, so I'll just go edit some more! 안녕! 평양!