This is goodbye...

The Final Hour

The Final Chapter: This is goodbye...

 

            “We’re doing everything we can, but he only has about an hour left Miss Park.”

             “I understand. Thank you Dr. Ahn.”

            Yoojin took a deep breath and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, Yoojin slowly made her way to the hard hospital bed and sat down on the plastic chair next to it, her eyes watering at the heartbreaking sight in front of her. The once playful evil maknae of Super Junior now lay on the bed, still as a statue, with all kinds of different machines hooked up to him, all trying to keep him alive. But even so, he only had one more hour left on this Earth. Yoojin reached out her hand, weaving her fingers with Kyuhyun’s icy cold ones. Tears pooled out of her eyes and streamed down her face as she stared at the motionless body in front of her.

             “We only have sixty minutes left together, Baby K,” she whispered to the dying boy, her voice thick with pain. “And with every passing second, you’re getting closer and closer to death and I can’t do anything about it….”

            Yoojin stopped talking for a moment to regain her composure before she spoke up again.

             “You always told me we’d be together, forever, but it’s been what, four months since you proposed, and you’re already saying goodbye?” she asked as more tears dripped off her chin. “H-how, how am I s-supposed t-to live without you? Y-you are m-my world-d…”

            Tiny sobs tore at Yoojin’s chest as she struggled to finish her sentence. Her eyes were clouded were clouded with tears, but nevertheless, they never left Kyuhyun’s bandaged face.

             “No,” she reprimanded herself as she wiped the tears from her face and quickly blinked the remaining ones in her eyes away.

            She shook her head and swallowed hard.

             “I’m not here to blame you for your carelessness,” she whispered to her motionless fiancé. “I’m here to make the most of our final hour together. I want to relive all our memories, together, for one last time…”

            Yoojin smiled and felt a wave of memories come flooding back to her, embracing her like an old friend.

             “Do you remember how we meet, Baby K?” she asked Kyuhyun. “We were so young back then and we had no idea things would ever get to this level…”

 

            After forgetting her script with her director, the young actress rushed back into the SM building, hoping to catch him before he left for the day. She waved through the crowd of idols and trainees being let out from their training sessions and made it the director’s office just as he walked out.

             “Director-nim!” Yoojin called as she hurried to his side.

             “Yoojin!” Director Han greeted.

            He smiled and held up Yoojin’s script.

             “Looking for something?” he scolded in a teasing tone. “I can’t have my female lead improvise all her lines, you know.”

             “I’m sorry director-nim,” the young actress apologized. “It won’t happen again.”

             “Go,” the director told her. “Filming starts in a week. Get cracking.”

             “Yes director-nim!” nodded Yoojin with a smile. “I won’t let you down!”

             “You never have.”

            With a smile and a wave, director left, leaving Yoojin with a big smile on her face. Director Han was her first director and even though he seemed kind of intimidating at first, Yoojin soon found out that he was a kind man with a generous heart. The actress looked down at the script in her hands and the smile on her face grew wider. She opened it and started walking, letting her familiarity with the building guide her as she lost herself in the drama. As Yoojin rounded the corner, she accidently collided into someone in front of her.

             “Oops!” she gasped as she looked up.

             “Augh, are you made of stone or something?” the guy groaned.

            He shook his coffee-colored locks out of his face and gave Yoojin a stern look. The actress immediately recognized who she had ran into and blushed deeply.

             “I’m so sorry Kyuhyun-ssi,” Yoojin offered. “I didn’t mean to run into you.”

            Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and gave her a “whatever” look.

             “Just watch where you’re going next time,” he warned, leaving without another word.

            Yoojin watched Kyuhyun disappear and felt her heart sink a little. She sighed, rolled up her script in her hands and started walking again, not wanting to keep her manager waiting any longer.

             “Are you alright Yoojin?” Byunghae asked as she climbed into the car. “You seem a little down. Did Heechan-ssi yell at you?”

             “Ani Oppa,” the actress sighed. “I was just a little careless and ran into someone as I was coming back. He yelled at me and yeah…”

             “I’m sure he was just tired,” Byunghae offered as he started the car. “Don’t worry about it Yoojin; people are always cranky around this time of day.”

             “Gomawo Oppa,” Yoojin smiled. “My Manager Oppa is the best!”

            Byunghae laughed and shook his head.

             “I know,” he said in a cocky tone. “Kim Byunghae is the best!”

            The actress just laughed at her manager’s childish behavior and shook her head.

             “Yes, yes you are,” she agreed. “You’re the best Manager Oppa I’ve ever had!”

             “And the only one,” Byunghae added.

             “You know I love you Oppa,” Yoojin said sweetly.

            The manager smiled and nodded.

             “Love you too, brat. Let’s get you home; you’ve got a busy schedule ahead of you.”

            The next time that Yoojin and Kyuhyun saw each other wasn’t for another three months. Yoojin had just finished wrapping up her drama and decided to café near by the shoot site for some refreshments. Disguising herself with large aviators and a scarf, she made herself one of the regular citizens of Korea, unknown and unseen.

             “An iced frappuccino please, “ordered as she pulled out her wallet.

            She paid for her drink and turned to leave but ended up walking right into someone. Thankfully, her drink didn’t spill on the stranger and for that Yoojin was thankful.

             “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I didn’t see you there.”

             “I see you still haven’t learned to watch where you’re going,” the stranger said in an amused tone.

            Yoojin took a double take and realized that she had bumped into Cho Kyuhyun, again.

             “I’m so sorry Kyuhyun-ssi,” she bowed. “I, I… I’m sorry.”

            Kyuhyun smiled and shook his head.

             “Well, you’re going to have to make it up to me,” he said with a smile. “Are you on your break?”

            Yoojin nodded.

             “Go buy me an Americano then, as an apology for always bumping into me. Then we can just hang out until your break is over.”

             The actress smiled and nodded. She quickly bought the drink and made her way to the booth Kyuhyun was occupying. He smiled at her as she slid into the seat opposite of him and handed him the drink.

             “How’s the drama going?” he asked after taking a slip of his drink.

             “We just got done filming it,” Yoojin replied.

             “Sweet,” he nodded.

             “Yeah… I have to admit though, I’m sad that it’s over,” the actress confessed.

             “Why?”

             “Well, it was just a really sweet love story,” she admitted. “And I, I don’t know, I just like it a lot.”

            The singer laughed and nodded.

             “So,” said Yoojin, changing the subject, “why are you here Kyuhyun-ssi?”

             “I was just around the block and I wanted some coffee,” he shrugged.

             “Is that so?”

            Yoojin gave Kyuhyun an “I know you’re lying” look, but said nothing. The maknae of Super Junior laughed and held up his hands as if to say “ok, ok you got me.”

             “Ok, I lied,” he admitted. “I wanted to see you.”

            The actress’s smile froze on her face. She blinked dumbly, confused as to why Cho Kyuhyun of Super Junior wanted to see her.

             “I wanted to apologize for last time,” Kyuhyun explained. “I was an to you when it wasn’t even a big deal.”

            Yoojin laughed and shook her head.

             “I forgave you a long time ago Kyuhyun-ssi,” she smiled. “You didn’t have to come all the way over here to tell me that.”

             “I wanted to though,” the maknae said. “And stop calling me Kyuhyun-ssi; it makes me feel old. Just call me Kyuhyun.”

             “Yes Kyuhyun-ss—”

            Her voice trailed off as she realized that she was just about to call Kyuhyun “Kyuhyun-ssi” again, right after he had told her to not to. Yoojin blushed and took a slip of her drink, using that as an excuse for her to shut up. Kyuhyun laughed and shook his head.

             “So, are you going to the party on the 3rd?” he asked, changing the topic.

            Yoojin nodded and smiled at Kyuhyun.

             “Who are you going with?” he prompted.

            The actress thought about it for a moment and shrugged.

             “Probably Byunghae Oppa,” she said after a moment. “I always go with him to all the SM parties.”

            Kyuhyun frowned.

             “Are you guys dating?” he asked bluntly, “because that’s totally against the company’s rules.”

            Yoojin, who had taken a slip of her frappuccino as Kyuhyun was taking, chocked and coughed loudly. After she had hacked up all the liquid that when down her windpipe, she gave Kyuhyun a bewildered expression.

             “Me and Byunghae Oppa?!” she gasped. “What kind of joke is that? No, of course not! What, what, no, just no.”

            Kyuhyun laughed awkwardly and shrugged.

             “You said so yourself that you usually go with him to these events, so I just…”

             “You just assumed that we were dating?” finished Yoojin. “Unbelievable.”

             “I’m sorry?”

            She rolled her eyes and shook her head.

             “It’s fine,” she said. “As long as we have it clear that there’s nothing going on between me and Byunghae Oppa, we’re good.”

            Kyuhyun nodded and rubbed his neck in embarrassment.

             “Sorry,” he repeated. “I just haven’t ever seen you with another guy, except for your co-stars and director Han.”

             “I guess you haven’t been paying that much attention then.”

             “Yeah, I guess… hey Yoojin.”

             “Yeah?”

             “If you’re not going with anyone, why don’t you come with me and the rest of SJ?”

            Yoojin cocked her head to the side, not understanding.

             “I’ll be your this time,” he explained.

            Still, Yoojin looked at him with a confused expression.

             “To make it up for being such an and jumping to conclusions,” he said finally.

            The actress smiled and shook her head.

             “I guess I’ll have to accept then,” she smiled, “since you’re asking so sincerely.”

            Kyuhyun laughed and nodded.

             “Sweet.”

 

             “You were so awkward back then,” Yoojin smiled.

            She let out a nostalgic sigh and looked up at her fiancé. Kyuhyun looked so still that for a moment, she was worried he had passed when she was remising, but the heart rate monitor on the right side of the bed proved otherwise.

             “For second there, I thought you’d left me already,” she said, more tears leaking out of her eyes at the thought. “Please, just stay until we’ve relived all our precious memories together and then leave? That’s all I’m asking…”

            The actress wiped her tears away and quickly blew her nose, not wanting to waste any second of her precious time. She sniffed again and continued talking.

             “Do you remember our first fight?” she whispered. “God, we were so stupid back then…”

 

             “Why are you here? Don’t you have some special awards ceremony in China or Japan to go to?” Yoojin shrieked.

            She glared at her boyfriend and crossed her arms, the anger inside of her intensifying with every passing second.

             “Yoojin,” Kyuhyun groaned. “I’m sorry! It’s not like I could’ve missed those events!”

             “Oh so you can TOTALLY sneak out all the time while being the MC at Mnet or whatever to go meet up with your band members, but you can’t just skip ONE awards ceremony to see me?” the frustrated actress demanded. “We planned last night for months Cho Kyuhyun! It was our two year anniversary!”

             “Well I’m sorry!” Kyuhyun yelled back. “It’s not like I had a choice!”

             “Whatever,” Yoojin snapped. “You know what? This isn’t working out. We never get time to see each other and when we do, SOMEONE always has something else to do.”

             “Fine!” the singer shouted back. “We’re done! You’re just a stupid, selfish, bitc* anyways. I’m so glad I don’t have to put with your anymore. Enjoy the rest of your life.”

            He turned around on his heels and left Yoojin’s apartment, slamming the door on his way out. The actress stared in the direction he left in and sank to the floor, crying her eyes out. She didn’t mean to yell at him; she was just so frustrated. Every time they had something happened, Kyuhyun would end up having to cancel because Super Junior had activities going on. She understood that he was a popular man who had places to be, but once, just once, she wished that he’d put her above everything else. That night, Yoojin cried herself to sleep, regretting everything she said to Kyuhyun. Likewise, Kyuhyun didn’t sleep well that night either. He stared up at the ceiling for most of the time, listening to Sungmin’s soft breathing as he thought about what he’d said.

            The next day was rough for the both of them. Their break up was so bad for the two of them that both their managers told them to take the day off, saying that they needed some time to “heal” themselves. They both found themselves outside each other’s apartments, trying to reach the other. Thinking that the other didn’t want to talk to them, they left, their hearts aching even more. Coincidentally, as they walked back towards each other’s apartments, they found themselves face to face with each other. Yoojin was the first to look away, not wanting to create more tension after the rough break up they just went through. Kyuhyun felt his heart shatter at her gesture and without thinking, he flung his arms around her, trapping her in his arms.

             “I’m sorry,” he whispered in her ear. “It’s all my fault. I’m the worst boyfriend ever. I’m sorry; I’m so sorry.”

             “I’m sorry too,” Yoojin whispered back. “I shouldn’t have yelled at you… it wasn’t you fault you were always so busy. I should’ve been proud of you, instead of yelling at you.”

             “Can we get back together?” the singer asked. “Please?”

            Yoojin nodded and hugged Kyuhyun tighter against her, feeling the strong beating of his heart pounded against his chest.

             “I love you so much Kyuhyun,” she whispered. “I love you so much it hurts…”

             “And I love you too, my Park Yoojin.”

 

             “We didn’t have a perfect relationship, but what we had was special… we didn’t always agree on things and sometimes we’d yell and scream at each other, but deep down, we knew that our love could overcome anything. No matter how angry we were at each other, we’d always find a way to make things better, to make that bond between us stronger.”

 

             “C’mon Yoojin!” Kyuhyun called as he tugged on his girlfriend’s hand. “You’re so slow!”

            Yoojin pouted and frowned at her boyfriend, pretending to be upset

             “Well, it’s not my fault your legs are so long!” she groaned.

            Kyuhyun laughed and suddenly turned around, picking Yoojin up in his arms, carrying to the rest of the way to the top of the hill. It was a beautiful, sunny spring afternoon on the island of Japan. Sooman had given Super Junior three days off to let them regenerate after all the endless Break Down promotions all over Asia and Kyuhyun decided to take Yoojin to Japan. Their busy schedules didn’t allow for much free time and for the most part so only times when they could actually spend quality time together were limited. But what Kyuhyun learned was that distance made the heart grow fonder, making every one of their memories together special, no matter how mundane the things they did together were.

            Kyuhyun gently set his girlfriend down on the soft green grass and wrapped his arms around her waist, giving her a back hug. Yoojin giggle and closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling of the warm breeze on her skin and Kyuhyun’s warmth around her.

             “Yoojin?”

             “Yeah?”

             “It’s we’ve been dating for five years now…”

             “I know… time flies when you’re happy, doesn’t it?”

             “I’ve been thinking…”

             “Yeah?”

             “Um…”

            Kyuhyun removed his arms from around Yoojin’s waist and stuffed his hands in his pockets. The actress opened her eyes and frowned. She turned around to face her boyfriend, a weird feeling creeping into her chest. Kyuhyun was acting strange, as if he wanted to break up with her or something. She felt her heart drop at the thought and she looked down at her feet, fearing the worst. She was so busy worrying that she didn’t even noticed Kyuhyun pulling a small box out of his pocket and getting down on one knee.

             “Yoojin?” Kyuhyun asked. “I know it’s sudden, but I really do think I’m ready to spend the rest of my life with you.”

            Yoojin’s eyes went wide and she slowly looked up, surprise written all over her face. The singer smiled at her expression and mentally congratulated himself for being so subtle.

             “I want to tell you every single day that ‘I love you,’” he sang. “I want to live loving and cherishing you. I want to put you to sleep in my arms every night. Will you marry me Park Yoojin?”

            A small lump formed in Yoojin’s throat as tears came to her eyes. She smiled at Kyuhyun and nodded, momentarily forgetting how to talk. Kyuhyun laughed and reached for her hand, slipping the diamond ring on her left ring finger. He got up and wrapped his arms around Yoojin’s body again, picking her up.

             “I love you,” he whispered in her ear as he spun her around. “Forever and always, you’ll be mine, Park Yoojin.”

 

            Yoojin smiled as fresh tears rolled down her face. One more minute left Baby K, she thought to herself as she glanced at the clock.

             “We’ll meet again in another life,” she whispered. “No matter what happens, I’ll always be your Park Yoojin, the one that loves you, the one that’ll always be yours.”

             “Yoojin?”

            Yoojin turned her head and to her surprise, found everyone congregating by Kyuhyun’s bed. She swallowed hard, knowing that it was time.

             “Goodbye,” she cried. “I love you.”

            She stood up and leaned over Kyuhyun’s bed, giving him one last kiss before he died. His heart rate momentarily sped up as Yoojin removed his oxygen mask and pressed her lips against his for the final time, but when she pulled away, it stopped altogether. The heart rate monitor beeped furiously, alerting all the doctors and nurses that the patient’s heart had failed, but they were all already there, gathered behind the crowd of Kyuhyun’s loved ones.

            Yoojin stepped back from Kyuhyun’s dead body and watched with teary eyes as the nurses pushed their way towards the hospital bed.

             “We’re sorry,” one of them offered as they wheeled Kyuhyun away. “He’ll be missed by millions.”

            The actress said nothing, for there was nothing to say. She swallowed hard and bit her lip as more tears flowed down her cheeks. Kyuhyun, her Baby K, was gone, forever…

             Yoojin slowly made her way out of the hospital, feeling more alone than she had ever felt in her entire life. Everyone had already left and even though most offered to stay with her, she rejected them, stating that she wanted to be alone. There would be no one who could understand the pain she was feeling, the agony burning inside her soul. She pushed opened the main doors and stepped outside, the cool fall winds greeting her as she walked. As she approached the stairs that led up to the giant hospital, she stopped walking and looked up at the sky

              “I love you,” she whispered to the winds, hoping that somehow, it would carry her message up to the Heavens were Kyuhyun was.

             She sighed softly and started walking down concrete stairs. A soft gust of wind blew softly, carrying a small piece of white paper along with it. It twirled in front of Yoojin and pressed up against her jacket. Sighing, the actress reach over and took the paper off her jacket, ready to crumple it up and throw it into a nearby trashcan when she noticed there were words written on it. Curious, she opened the piece of paper and read the words neatly printed on it.

             “‘Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future’ JFK,” it read.

            It was Kyuhyun’s philosophy of life, and somehow, just as she was missing him the most, it came to her. Yoojin smiled and looked back up at the sky again. She closed her eyes and just for a moment there, she could feel Kyuhyun’s arms around her again, encasing her with all the warmth she’d ever need. She looked down at the paper in her hands and gently tucked it away in her pocket, knowing that when she got home, that piece of paper would end up on the last page of her scrapbook, always reminding her of Kyuhyun, her Cho Kyuhyun.

 


TT__TT did you cry? I know I did.... :\

How many of you guys got the SJ reference? When Kyuhyun proposed, he was singing a part of Marry U...

I was going to add more details and go into the SM dance party.. but it's 2 am..... and I have school tomorrow.. O_O oh well... *sighs* When I have time, I'll probably go back and edit this one too, to make it sadder and yeah xD

I hope you guys liked it/ enjoyed reading it. If you did, will you please sub and upvote? It'd mean a lot to me <3