My Last

An Angel's Smiles

They both woke up with a strange warm feeling, but both were filled with uneasiness.


When Daehyun got up, he knew that today was going to be a strange day. He could feel it in his bones. He just didn’t know if it was going to be a good or bad type of strange.


The angel, on the other hand, knew exactly, what kind of day it was going to be. A bad type of strange.


~~~~~~~~~~


Daehyun wordlessly slid the eggs on to a plate before setting it down on the counter. He took another plate and did the same. “Breakfast.”


She came over and took both plates and brought them over to the dining table.


Turning off the stove, Daehyun untucked the towel from his waist and threw it into the sink. “I have work today.”


She nodded. “Okay. I’ll... I’ll be going out too.”


“So... I guess I’ll see you when we both get back, huh.”


She nodded again before breaking through the wobbly yellow yolk, the thick yellow substance now making a small pool on her plate.


Daehyun felt as if he should stay with her today, but he couldn’t. Today was a tough day at work, and a huge delivery was being made. And unfortunately, he was the strongest person there who could lift three boxes without collapsing.


Hana stood up and pushed her chair back. “I’m going now.” She left the apartment, closing the door loudly behind her, leaving Daehyun sitting alone at the table, his breakfast still untouched.


~~~~~~~~~~~


Hana took a deep breath as she walked into the now familiar white building, breathing in the sharp scent of rubbing alcohol and disinfectant.


A passing nurse smiled kindly at her before continuing on with her cart of white laundry.


Hana nodded at her, stepping into the elevator and pressing one of the buttons. She arrived at the children’s ward, where the building was filled with noisy, shrill cries of young toddlers.


Closing her eyes for a moment and focusing, she felt her soul drift towards a room filled with thick unhappiness. Walking in that direction, she finally found herself in front of the surgery room, the red sign above the room lit up brightly.


In one of the plastic hospital chairs sat a lone young woman, anxiously clutching her purse.


Hana came over and sat down beside her. “Who’s inside the surgery room?” She asked softly, turning her head to the woman.


“My son.” She whispered. “My five year old son was diagnosed with neuroblastoma one month ago.” A few tears slipped down her cheeks, leaving clean streaks behind on her face.


Hana felt her own eyes burn as well before slowly reaching over to the woman’s hand and gripping it tightly. “He’ll be alright. I just know it.”


She squeezed her hand, letting her supernatural powers soar through the woman’s body and into the operating room.


The woman didn’t say anything for a while before looking back up, her eyes suddenly looking very tired. “What’s your name?”


“Hana.”


Her face broke into a beautiful smile. “Thank you... Hana.”


She then squeezed the angel’s hand once.


Twice.


~~~~~~~~~~~


“Ka Ya.” She whispered, pushing through the curtains.


The young cancer patient was peacefully asleep, the closed blinds letting a little bit of sunlight filter into the room.


Hana wished she was awake so she could tell the girl goodbye. She walked in, standing right next to the bed.


After a few minutes of watching the girl, she realized that it was probably better this way. Reaching out her hand, she gently let her fingertips touch the little girl’s hand. Focusing, she let her energy and power flow from herself into the little girl’s body, feeling her energy unfurl itself and do its work inside the body.


The energy inside finally healed the girl’s body and diminished, all that was left was the girl’s perfectly healthy body, free of cancer.


Hana removed her hand, feeling dizzy and lightheaded from using up so much energy. “This is my last gift to you, Kaya.” She said softly, brushing a bit of hair out of the young girl’s closed eyes.


She leaned down and planted a soft kiss on the girl’s forehead before turning around and leaving the room.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Daehyun immediately got up and opened the door when he heard the familiar three sharp knocks on the other side of the door. “Welcome back.”


She came in and nodded, looking exhausted.


“Are you okay? I can get you some water...”


She nodded. “Yeah. I’m fine.”


“Anything you want for dinner?”


She hesitated for a moment. “Daehyun... Can you come with me?”


“For...”


She looked up at him. “Could you just come?”


He nodded and swallowed.


Turning around, she pulled open the door and Daehyun followed her out into the black, murky night.


~~~~~~~~~~


“Where are you going?”


It began to rain heavily, the cold water splashing against both their faces.


Hana looked up at the sky.


Is this... really going to be the end?


Her long hair flew behind her, the now damp strands tangling with one another messily.


The sky suddenly flashed a bright, burning white.


“Lightning...” Daehyun muttered. “Hana, what are you doing? We should go back, we’re in a storm...”


She rubbed her arms.


This storm...


She turned around abruptly to look at Daehyun. “Remember? This was how it was like when you first found me.”


He looked up at the black sky as the thunder rumbled uncertainly. “Yes. But what of it? We should go back inside...”


She grabbed his arm. “I’m sorry, Daehyun. This entire time.... I’ve lied to you.”


“What do... you mean?” He whispered, feeling a lump grow in his throat.


She dropped his arm. “Please... Promise me that,” She looked away. “No matter what happens, you won’t say anything about it or... do anything, I guess.”


Daehyun stared at her, the rain landing lightly on his neck. “I promise. You know I would promise anything for you... Hana.”


She felt even guiltier as she took a few small steps back. “Ready?”


Daehyun nodded.


She closed her eyes, focusing on what was inside of her. She finally  got ahold of the energy she was looking for inside of her.


Slowly, she felt her wings burst out of her shoulder blades, the black feather unfurling majestically behind her back, tearing through her black dress.


She hadn’t let out her wings for the longest time, and this time, her wings were so light, she almost wept.


She had lost over half her feathers.


Daehyun didn’t say anything as he watched her. “You’re... an angel.”


Hana felt her body being lifted by her strong wings toward the sky, the rain wetting the feathers. She finally opened her eyes, and when Daehyun looked at her eyes, he saw that they were sad.


“So, Daehyun...” She said quietly, her voice carried by the wind into his ears. “This is what I really am. A monster. A monster from the darkness.”


She let the wind gently carry her back to the ground, her feet landing softly on the wet grass in front of Daehyun.


Daehyun shook his head, his eyes b with tears, mingling with the rain. “You aren’t a monster, Hana. To me, you’re an angel. An angel of light in my life.”


He came forward and grabbed her gently by the waist, his lips coming in contact with hers.


She softly kissed him back, closing her eyes.


The first and last time...


She released herself from the kiss. “Daehyun.”


He looked at her with watery eyes.


“When I first came on Earth, I was a rotten angel. An angel sent here for punishment. An angel sent here to do evil deeds wherever she went.”


Daehyun stared at her. “The bus accident... Was it you?”


She blinked sadly. “Yes. But I went to the hospital, because I sensed so much suffering inside. My body immediately reacted to it and I was attracted inside. But inside, I found the child I had almost killed. I... healed him. I don’t know why, but I did.”


Daehyun breathed in.


“And I saw it. The smile. His mother.... She smiled. And I don’t know, I thought it was so beautiful. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. But it hurt so much at the same time.” She said softly.


Daehyun didn’t know what to say.


“I began going to the hospital every day, healing people and bringing smiles to their faces so I could just see the smiles because they were just so beautiful. But Daehyun,” She looked at him. “Every time I healed someone, every time I thanked someone, every time I brought a smile to somebody or did something good, it hurt me. A lot.”


Her wings carried her into the sky and she continued speaking.


“You see, Daehyun. Every time that happened, I lost one feather. I am missing so many right now.”


Daehyun looked up at her in the stormy sky. “Hana...”


“I love you, Daehyun.” She whispered before smiling sweetly, her face calm and serene.


“Hana!”


Her soft feathers began to drift off her wings, floating down to the ground to Daehyun.


“H-Hana...”  Daehyun was scared.


“This hurts.” Her smile was still on her face. “But... not so much knowing that I love you by my own will. You see, once I confessed my love to you, I would lose a large amount of my feathers. Which.. is pretty much all I have left now.”


“Idiot!” Daehyun screamed into the wind, crying as tears streamed down his cheeks. “Why would you do that?!”


“Because I love you.” She said simply.


The last feathers fell off, drifting to the ground.


The angel noticed that there was one left on her left wing. “Daehyun.” She said softly. “Could you help me with one last thing? You’ve helped me so much, one more thing won’t hurt, right?”


“What do you want me to do?” Daehyun swallowed, tears pouring.


“Smile.” She said quietly. “Please, could you smile for me?”


Daehyun was frozen for a moment before her request sunk in and he understood. “NO!” He screamed into the roaring wind. “If I smile, you’ll disappear, Hana! YOU IDIOT!”


She landed on the ground once again in front of Daehyun. “Daehyun, please. Please smile for me.”


He shook his head, sobbing. “I...I can’t!”


“For me. That’s all I’m asking for.”


He still shook his head.


Gracefully, she took one step closer and placed her lips softly on his, the kiss sweet and soft. “Please...” She murmured into their kiss.


She pulled away.


Daehyun slowly... smiled unconsciously. His fingers went up to his lips, where the lingering sweet sensation of the kiss still tingled.


“Thank you.” She breathed as the wind carried her high into the sky, the last dark feather detaching itself from her wing.


“Hana! You idiot!” He cried out into the dark, stormy skies. “Why did you do that?!”


She smiled down at him. “I’ve seen many smiles. They were all so beautiful and I now have a million of those in my head. But yours,” She smiled sadly as she got higher up into the sky. “It’s the one thats the most dazzling and beautiful, and it is the one that’s always shining the brightest in my mind.”


“Hana!”


“Goodbye, Daehyun.” She said, her sweet voice was carried down to where Daehyun was still standing.


“I love you.”


The last feather reached the palm of Daehyun’s hand.


Her body began to shimmer as she got higher up into the sky. As she slowly disappeared, Daehyun watched her smile before she vanished completely.


He dropped to the ground on his knees, huge sobs taking over his body as his tears fell on to the muddy grass, the rain washing it away.


He cried until the sun began to rise in the morning, when the storm had faded. He looked up, his body completely dried up of tears.


Slowly, he brought his hands up to his lips, where he could still feel the faint sweet kiss from hours ago.


In his other hand, he realized he was still clutching the soft, black feather. Opening up his palm, he watched the warm morning breeze ruffle the feathers lightly.


Hana’s last smile.


“My smile.” He whispered.



~~~~~~~~~