Fallen Angel

An Angel's Smiles

She shivered, the soft, feathery tips of her wings lightly brushing against the glass window of a seven story building. She let herself gracefully land on the ground, her bare feet landing gently on the rocky pavement.

The wind blew mercilessly as she stood there, an awe inspiring silhouette standing out in the heavy rain.

The large drops of water soaked her thin, bony shoulders, her damp hair flying out in the strong gusts of wind.

“This is my punishment.” She murmured to the wind.

The sky replied with a loud crack of lightning and thunder, light exploding in the sky, bathing the entire world in blinding white for a few seconds.

She bent forward and her large, black wings folded themselves, pressing the damp feathers on her already soaked back. She sighed softly and the wings slowly faded away. She straightened up slowly and stared at the grey, angry midnight sky.

“I will behave, I promise.”

Looking back down, she began walking, feeling lost and alone in this cold, dark world. Glancing up ahead, she saw a strange red light.

Behind the light were dozens of machines she had never before seen, other humans sitting impatiently behind what looked similar to a wheel. At the front of the strange mechanism, two strange lights shone brightly, cutting through the darkness.

She blinked, feeling awkward and foreign in this different world. Taking a deep breath, she let her bare feet take her across the sharp rocky road. She blinked in surprise when she saw the strange red light now disappear, now replaced by a sharp emerald green. Turning her head, she saw the human made mechanisms charge at her in a fast pace, emitting a lot of noise as they moved.

She continued walking, not understanding why they were so noisy and loud.

The sound they made was something that sounded like a honking sound crossed with the loud caw of a crow.

She shot an icy glare at an obnoxious nearby human sitting in one of the machines.

He sat back in surprise at the beautiful young girl’s steely glare. Shaking his head, he urged his own machine to move forward after she had crossed, in an impatient hurry to get home.

She continued walking, wondering what would happen to her and how long her punishment would last.

“Hey there.”

She glanced up and her expression turned cold and wary when she looked up at the face of a young boy.

He was frowning down at her.

She scowled back in response.

“Aren’t you cold?”

She roughly shoved him aside and continued walking, your long, black, flowing dress sticking uncomfortably to her legs.

“Hey!”

She walked faster when she heard his feet making their way to catch up with her pace.

“Yah, did you hear me?”

He grabbed her arm and she flinched noticeably, turning around to glare at him, her long dark hair draped limply over her shoulders.

The boy faltered slightly, thrown off by her dark glare.

“Leave me alone.” She said flatly.

He stared into her dark, smoldering eyes. “It’s not looking good out here. It’s not safe for a girl here so late either.”

She just continued to glare at him.

“Maybe...you want to stay at my place? It’s dry. You could leave after tomorrow morning?”

She took a moment to consider his offer. “Fine.” She finally agreed in her delicate voice.

He nodded. “Come on.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

The door swung open.

“Sorry,” The boy apologized sheepishly as she surveyed his messy apartment. “I live here by myself so I don’t have much time to clean it up.”

She said nothing as she invited herself inside. She marvelled silently at how the worn carpet tickled her wet, bare feet comfortably.

“Um...You could take a shower first. Do you have a change of clothes?” The boy asked, staring at her dripping dress.

She turned around. “...Clothes?”

He stared at her. “Uh...yeah. Because your dress is soaked.”

She blinked, vaguely remembering a few things from the last time she was on Earth. “Oh, right. I...don’t have any.” She admitted slowly.

“Oh...” He scratched his head slightly. “That could be a problem.” He walked over to what looked like a closet and he flung the door open, sorting through the different clothes and linens inside. He pulled out a blue towel along with a pair of fairly large sweatpants and a battered hoodie.

“This is all I’ve got.” He shrugged as he handed them over to you. “Bathroom is that way.”

She nodded. “Thanks.”

“Oh and by the way,” He called after her.

She turned around quickly, droplets of water from her hair splattering against the chipped walls.

“The name’s Daehyun.” He paused before running a hand through his wet hair. “Jung Daehyun.”

She stayed silent, momentarily forgetting what she was supposed to say next. She blinked, remembering that in the human world, you were to introduce yourself. “My name is Hana.” She lied smoothly, staring at him evenly with her dark eyes. “Moon Hana.”

Turning around, she went into the bathroom, locking the door firmly behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“You can sleep on my bed. I’ll sleep on the couch.” Daehyun suggested, gesturing to the bed inside the den.

“Thank you.” She went into the den silently, her bare feet barely making a sound as she walked.

Daehyun shuffled back into the small living room area, letting himself drop on top of the scratchy couch.

He didn’t often invite strangers to stay the night in his home.

Actually, most people don’t.

When he wandering back home after drinking a bit at the nearby club, drowning out his misery, the girl caught his attention.

There was something strange...different about her, he couldn’t quite put his finger on it. Something about her captivated him and he invited her to stay the night, not even sure what he was getting himself into.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

She waited until she heard his soft, steady breathing fill the air. Thanks to the extraordinary sharp senses, she could hear every movement he made quite well.

Slowly, she slid off the bed, her feet lightly touching the soft carpet.

In the same slow motion, two large black wings unfurled majestically behind her back, a little below her thin shoulder blades.

She sighed in relief and shook them slightly, the feathers still a little damp from the rain that was still pounding outside.

You are an angel of darkness.

A dangerous voice whispered in her head, sending shivers rolling through her human body.

You are in the human world to bring suffering and pain, the duty of an angel of darkness.

Do not disappoint me.

Or else you will receive even greater punishment, Hana.

She ducked her head down, her wavy hair falling in a curtain down the right side of her face. She absentmindedly traced circles with her toe on the ground.

“I promise not to disappoint you.” She murmured quietly into the air, her wings fluttering slightly. “I don’t want to be punished again.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~