For the better

Three Words, Eight Letters, Still Not Enough For Us To Be Together

 

 

Heavy knocks on the door could be heard. Thug... Thug... Thug THUG! Taeyeon had no idea who might be her visitor at this hour of the night. At first she thought it might be some random drunken guy so she just ignored it. But minutes later when the knocks never stopped, she lazily stood up and went to open the door to see a drunken Sooyeon who didn't even managed to say "Hi" but rather walked passed her and laid down on the sofa.

 

"Sooyeon...? Wh-what are you doing here? It's past midnight. Aigoo." She carefully removed Sooyeon's shoes as she was scared of irritating the tired girl.

 

"To sleep, you pabo." Sooyeon managed to pout even though her eyes were closed.

 

Taeyeon facepalmed, almost forgetting the fact that Sooyeon's drunk. And when the younger girl's drunk, she usually have tendencies to act childishly. She sighed and stared at her friend for some time. Something must've happen, she thought.

 

"Okay, then. You can take care of yourself, right? Then I’m off to my room to continue my slumber" The latter turned off the lights in the living room and as she was walking to her room, Taeyeon suddenly heard sobs. The younger girl was crying. Conscious or not, she's not sure of it.

 

"Hey, what happened?"

 

No answer. Sooyeon just continued to cry.

 

"Sica--" Taeyeon said, almost a whispher.

 

"Taeyeon, I'm tired." Sooyeon managed to say. Even in the dark, she could still see the older girl who’s inches away from her.

 

Taeyeon continued to listen. "Tired of what, Sooyeon?"

 

Sooyeon wondered for a second. Can she really tell Taeyeon the reason? How would the latter react if she knew that she's the reason of her sufferings? She felt scared…  So scared that she started to regret going here. She should've gone to Yoona's house, or someone else's house. Just not here. Where she felt weak the most. Sooyeon closed her eyes for a bit, trying to remember how her feet brought her here.

 

"Does Yuri know you're here, though? I bet she's worried about you" Taeyeon gripped her phone from her pockets, ready to dial Yuri's number.

 

Sooyeon flinched at the sound of the older girl mentioning Yuri's name. Taeyeon saw  it. So it's Yuri again, huh.

 

"No, don't. Taeng if you really care, you won't do that." Sooyeon managed to say.

 

"Why? Did something happen?"

 

Silence again. And Taeyeon couldn't help but to wonder. When was the time she and Sooyeon had talk about their personal lives? She sighed at the thought. Things weren't like this before.

 

Sooyeon took a glance at her friend then stared at the ceiling. "Taeyeon, I already called the engagement off.”

 

She could hear footsteps of her friend walking into the kitchen and appeared again seconds later holding a can of beer on her hands.

 

"Some news you have there... “Taeyeon said while looking straight into Sooyeon's eyes. And she felt butterflies on her stomach.

The two of them just stared into each other's eyes for a while. A message only the both of them understood. Taeyeon half-heartedly smiled.

 

"Sooyeon, you're a jerk if you let Kwon Yuri go." she broke the eye contact and sip a mouthful of her beer.

 

"I know..." Sooyeon gently touched the ring on her finger. Taeyeon was the one who gave it to her... When they were still together. Years passed but she still could't had the guts of taking it off.

 

"Call her. It might not be too late to---"

 

"She's not you, Taeng. And I can never be happy with her. “Sooyeon admitted. Her eyes began to glisten. Maybe it's time to be honest. Or maybe not.

 

Taeyeon was shocked with the sudden bluntness. It left her speechless. And there she just continued to drink her beer.

 

Seeing the girl with no response, Sooyeon thought it might be too late to fix things. Maybe they were right, some things could never be fixed nor restored. Fear engulfed her.

 

Taeyeon laughed. She laughed then tears started to pour down her cheeks. Sooyeon got worried by Taeyeon's action, the girl went near to the latter with anxiety drawn to her face.

 

"Taengoo, why are you cry--" Sooyeon didn't managed to finish the sentence as she was silenced by Taeyeon's lips. She didn't know what came into the latter, was she already drunk with one can of beer or what. She was confused.

 

"I really think you should call Yul and apologize. Make up. I'm sure she'll understand" Taeyeon withdrew and stood up with the can of beer still on her hands. She headed again to the kitchen to get herself more beer. Drinking this and she would have more courage to talk to Sooyeon, maybe possible to come up with lies. Lies she didn't want to say but she had to. For Sooyeon's sake.

 

 

"Why are you doing this? Why are you pushing me away?" Pain reflected Sooyeon's eyes. Taeyeon felt being stabbed by a knife but still managed to keep a straight face. She closed her eyes. Because you deserved better, Sooyeon.

 

Taeyeon kept silent for a while then stood up. She can't argue with Sooyeon like this. So maybe she'll just sleep it off.

 

"Good night, Sooyeon. Fix your things tomorrow morning before you go home." She felt a hand on her wrist. A pair of arms wrapped around her was the next thing she knew.

 

"Taeyeon if you'd just say something. I'll stay by your side forever." She can hear sniffs from Sooyeon, and her voice were already pleading. It was teasing. She wanted to say that eight letter word she'd been wanting to say for the longest time. In the end, she couldn't. But instead all she said was "Call her. It's still not too late." her smile was forceful she wondered if Sooyeon noticed it but nonetheless, she didn't care. Waters were already forming inside her eyes but she held it as long as she could. For the better, Taeyeon thought.

 

With that, Taeyeon hugged Sooyeon for the last time. She hugged her so tight. Sooyeon cupped the latter's cheeks with tears on her eyes. Breathing heavily she let her forehead touched Taeyeon's. "I'm sorry, I hope you'll be happy" Taeyeon managed to say with a whispher.

 

"You'll regret letting go of Jung Sooyeon. I swear." Sooyeon said with hoarse voice.

 

"I know, Sooyeon. Forgive this pabo. Hm?" her voice cracked. One more minute and tears would start to invade her eyes. She couldn't take it any longer either.

 

For the last time, Taeyeon kissed Sooyeon. The kiss went longer than expected, neither of them wanted to stop. But a call interrupted them, signalling for the end for the both of them.

 

"Good night Sooyeon" and with that, Taeyeon walked away.