Pokemon 101

Dreams Do Come True... Kinda

"Alright class, this way! Hurry now. You've got one minute to get your slow asses out here!!" Professor Taeyeon shouts angrily down the hallway leading to the courtyard.  Literally an entire dorm-worth of boys are currently on track to be late for their very first class. Luckily not a single one of them is from an EXO dorm.

"Those idiots must've overslept or something," Kai says boredly, glaring when Sehun actually laughs and nudges him on the shoulder.

"Don't.. Touch. Me," Kai growls as he shoots a death glare at his best friend and roommate.

Sehun instantly shrinks back, earning himself a pat on the shoulder from the boy next to him. He spins around and looks at the startled Luhan with wide eyes.

"What the hell...? ... You... Uh.. What's that thing you're holding?" he asks curiously, eyeing the baby Ralts.

Luhan blinks cutely then glances down at the half-awake Pokemon.

"My new best friend~ I found him in my bed this morning!" the Chinese boy replies with a huge smile.

Sehun gives him a weird look but before he can say another word Professor Taeyeon stomps out into the courtyard and starts writing angrily on a chalkboard on wheels.

"For those of you who HAVE made it here; welcome to your first day of Pokemon Basics. You all have your Pokemon or eggs, right?" she asks as she turns to face the twelve boys before her.

Many of them simply stare at her. Some nod. Others give a weak little "yeah" and fall silent instantly. Professor Taeyeon sighs and looks around.

"Could all of you who have hatched Pokemon please step forward?"

There's an uncomfortable shift in the crowd and a few snickers, but eventually Suho, Lay, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Luhan are standing up in front of the chalkboard with their Pokemon cradled in their arms.

"Alright boys. Please introduce yourselves and tell us what your Pokemon's breed is along with its gender and nickname if it has one. We'll start with whoever's egg hatched first and follow that pattern, got it?" 

A couple of them nod and Lay takes a deep breath before stepping forward.

"I-I'm Lay... And this is my Slakoth. His name is Lǎnduò," he says shyly. The three other Chinese boys in the room chuckle softly while the other eight simply look confused.

"Well... I'm not quite sure what that reaction means, but either way it's very nice to meet both you and your Pokemon, Lay. Who's next?"

Suho bites his lip softly and steps forward.

"That's me. My name is Joonmyun, but I prefer Suho. And this is my Staryu... I don't think it had a gender though... or at least I can't tell. Either way, I've named it Mul-jeonsa," he says softly.

"What a boring name..." Kai mumbles, earning himself a glare from Professor Taeyeon.

"Kim Jongin, stop being so rude. You'll get your chance to introduce your Pokemon to us all once it hatches. Now sit still and behave," she says with an icy tone.

Kai simply rolls his eyes and crosses his arms over his chest.

"Anyway, welcome Suho and Mul-jeonsa. Who's next?"

Chanyeol beams and steps forward, holding his little Growlithe up high.

"My name's Park Chanyeol and this is Hanbul. He's a Growlithe!" he says excitedly.

Professor Taeyeon gives him an inquisitive look and silently asks him to hand over the little Pokemon. He blinks once and does as told.

"As nice of a name as Hanbul is, this isn't a male Growlithe at all. She's going to be a beautiful female Arcanine some day~" the teacher says with a soft smile.

Chanyeol's eyes widen as he gingerly takes the little Pokemon back and her soft fur.

"Looks like I need a new name for her then... I'm sorry baby girl. I didn't know..." he says with a sigh. The Growlithe simply coos and his chin happily.

"Awww... Well that's going to be an unbreakable bond, I can tell," Taeyeon says fondly, then beckons for Baekhyun to step forward.

The boy simply stands there, motionless, until his Oddish tickles underneath his chin with the soft leaves on top of its head.

"O-Oh um... I-I'm B-Byun Baekhyun... This is O-Oddish... But I like to call her Bloom," he says almost inaudibly.

"That's such a pretty name~ Oh I know! I'll call my Growlithe Amber! ... No no wait.... Ember!" Chanyeol suddenly shouts.

The whole group falls silent as the tall boy looks at Baekhyun.

"...... I like that name a lot," the quiet boy says with a cute little smile.

Chanyeol blushes and falls silent, petting the Oddish gently.

"Moving right along... What is your Pokemon's name young man?" Taeyeon asks, looking at Luhan.

"W-Well... I'm Luhan. I just met this little one this morning, so all I really know is that its a Ralts. I haven't quite figured out the gender just yet so I haven't gotten to come up with a nickname," he says quite calmly.

"May I see?" Baekhyun asks curiously, carefully handing his Oddish to Chanyeol.

"Sure..." Luhan replies as he passes the Ralts to the shorter.

Baekhyun gently lifts the little Ralts up, looking right at its face.

"Hhhmm..... This little guy is gonna be hard to beat one day~" he says with a happy little smile.

"Woah... how do you know its a boy?" Luhan asks curiously, earning a shrug from Baekhyun.

"Let me double check that for you dear... Oh yes! He's correct," Taeyeon says excitedly.

Before any more words can be exchanged, a little shriek erupts from the back of the crowd of boys. Xiumin's face has gone white as a sheet as he stares down at the egg in his hands. Everyone's eyes are on him but his eyes are only on the egg that's shaking and cracking. Moments later a dark, weasel-like Pokemon blinks up at him cutely and sneezes off the last fragments of eggshell.

"I-It hatched..." Xiumin whispers.

"Aaawww~ It's so cuuuuuuute~!" Kyungsoo coos nearby.

"Hey! That's a Sneasel," Kris says quickly.

"That's right. Don't come up just yet, young man. Let the baby rest a bit. Its probably tired out from breaking through its eggshell," Taeyeon says calmly as she walks back to where Xiumin's standing.

"O-Okay... But um... What gender is it?"

"We'll check right before class is over, alright? Leave it to rest for now..."

Xiumin nods slowly as the boys that had stepped forward shuffle back into place, most of them taking a seat on the soft grass and letting their Pokemon scamper around nearby. Taeyeon quickly makes her way back to the chalkboard and smiles widely.

"Well, now that that's out of the way let's begi-"

"W-We're here! We're here!! Sorry we're late but no one set an alarm!" Someone shouts as the doors fly open, revealing the five boys from the SHINee dorm, looking rather winded and dishevled.

"Considering the five of you are ALL already fifteen minutes late, I'm taking 10% from your daily grades for today. If there are any more outbursts, I'm giving all five of you detention," Taeyeon says almost angrily.

The five SHINee boys bow their heads and shuffle to the remaining seats without a word. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, Taeyeon clears and starts with the very first lesson, not bothering to ask about their Pokemon since they all have eggs in their arms still.