I Remember

Leaving Me

 

Kyungsoo listened to his hyung tell a story about his bad boy days in high school and occasionally kicked the fluffy white snow as they walked. He suddenly stopped walking when something on a building in front of them caught his eye. 
“H-hy-hyung, look!” Kyungsoo said running up to Yongguk and grabbing his shoulder and turning him around to face the building.
“What am I supposed to be loo-” Yongguk’s sentence was cut short when he saw something. To be more specific, a girl.
“It’s her…”Kyungsoo said under his breath
“Kyungsoo, you remember what happened don’t you? It’s impossible for her to be here! It’s not funny to lie to someone about their little sister alright?” Yongguk asked gradually becoming angry. He normally had a good temper…unless it was about his sister or Kyungsoo.
“Yeah, I remember…”Kyungsoo said trailing off
*Flashback*
“I have to go!” a girl with long ebony hair yelled with tears streaming down her face. She was backed up against the wall with Kyungsoo standing in front of her with his hands against the wall near her head.
“No, you don’t! It’ll be okay, we can-” Kyungsoo started
“Yes, I do! If I don’t, he’ll kill you! How would I continue to li-”
“I can protect myself, we can run away and-”
“We’ve been running for three years now! Every time we thought we would be safe he found us! Whether we were in the city or in the middle of nowhere, he always found us! He has connections Kyungsoo, he would of killed us both by now but he’s planning something. He always gets wha-”
“STOP!” Kyungsoo shouted furiously banging his hand against the wall. His voice echoed throughout their room. She grew quiet and her lips quivered with fear. His face softened and his body relaxed as he let out a long sigh.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I love you Eunae…” he said almost inaudibly. He dropped his arms and moved them to embrace her. She was hesitant at first but when she knew he was sincere, she returned the embrace and silently cried into his chest. They spent the rest of the night in each other’s embrace. Kyungsoo woke up the next morning feeling somewhat empty. He looked to his side and saw that Eunae was missing. He started to worry and was becoming frantic…until he saw a sticky note on the lamp. It read:
 
Good morning sunshine!
Figured that you’d freak out when you wake up if I wasn’t next to you, so I’m leaving you a note. I don’t want you to have a heart attack ;D I just went to get some groceries to stock up the refrigerator so don’t worry alright?
Always loving you,
Eunae
 
He smiled all while reading the note. She always knew how to make his day. He walked into the living room after washing up and was just about to sit on the couch when there was a knock on the door.
“Strange, Eunae would usually take her key with her if she was going somewhere. Maybe she didn’t take it today because she knew I’d be home.” Kyungsoo thought to himself before opening the door. To his surprise, there was no one at the door. He was just about to close the door when he noticed an envelope laying on the door step with his name on it. He opened the envelope and found a letter. It read:
 
Kyungsoo-ssi,
We’ve had fun haven’t we? Playing hide and go seek like children, I felt young again for a while. I wanted to see how long we could keep this up but I’m running out of patience at the same time. I’ll make you a deal, if you can get Eunae back, you can keep her again and we’ll continue our game. However, if you fail and my men make it back with her, I’ll kill her. They’ll be at Jugeum Tunnel. If you don’t succeed before 9AM, I win.
-LeeSooMan
P.S. She has great taste in ingredients doesn’t she? It seems that she was planning to make a cake. What’s the special occasion?
 
“How could I forget? It’s our anniversary!” Kyungsoo mentally scolded himself. He looked at the clock. It was already 8 AM and it would take 30 minutes to get there. That left him with 30 minutes to get Eunae back. He quickly ran to his room and grabbed the handgun out of the top cabinet. 
 
As expected, he arrived at Jugeum Tunnel at 8:30 AM. He took out his phone to call Yongguk. 
“Yoboseyo?” Yongguk answered
“Hyung, it’s me.” Kyungsoo said out of breath since he had been running
“Oh, hey Kyugsoo how-”
“They’ve got Eunae” Kyungsoo cut Yongguk off
The other line was silent for a few seconds.
“Where are you? I’ll call the cops.” Yongguk said
“Jugeum Tunnel”
“Good luck” Yongguk said before Kyungsoo hung up
 
Kyungsoo ventured further into the tunnel and soon found what he had been looking for, or rather who. Eunae had taped shut and her hands were tied behind her. Her fear-filled eyes told him that this was all a trap and that he had to leave now, but he refused. He refused to leave the love of his life, his soulmate, to die. He glared at the man holding his love and keeping her from running to him. He took a few steps forward as men in suits started to come out of the three cars that were currently in front of him. He hoped that for his sake, Yongguk would show up soon. There were at least twenty guys in suits and only one him. He didn’t really want to kill anyone so he told himself that he would save the gun for last and only if he really needed it. The man holding Eunae gave a slight nod of his head and all the men in suits charged towards Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo got in a readied position to fist fight. What he didn’t expect, was to be shot from behind…by his own brother, his older brother that ran away from home so many years ago. He looked down at his chest and saw the ruby red spot expanding near where his heart should be. At that moment that everything was still registering in his mind, all of the men in suits charged towards him. He received a kick to the chest and landed on the ground knocking the breath out of him. He was laying on the ground being kicked and stepped on when he realized what was happening and what he needed to do. The man holding Eunae caught Kyungsoo’s eye and tapped on his watch. Kyungsoo checked his watch and found that it was already 8:50 AM and he only had ten minutes left before he lost Eunae forever. Kyungsoo gathered his strength to stand up and punch some of men surrounding him. He kicked and punched ruthlessly sending men to the ground and some even flew a bit before landing harshly on the cold, hard ground. It was 8:57 AM when Kyungsoo finally got all the men in suits on the ground cringing in pain, some dead even. He weakly walked towards Eunae. He felt something pierce through him with a bang over and over again from behind, but he was too close to her.  He would save her even if it killed him, as long as she could live. He could hear Eunae’s muffled screams and cries. The closer he got to her, the closer he got to his own death. He was a foot away from her when he collapsed on the ground. He laid in a pool of his own blood. He picked himself up and kneeled before her reaching for her hand. He looked at her eyes only to find them fixed on something else. He glanced at the man holding her and saw him smiling.
“It can’t be the time can it?” Kyungsoo thought to himself. He looked at his blood stained watch and saw it was 8:59 AM and he still had a minute left. He had won the bet. He looked back up at Eunae and followed her gaze to something behind him. Behind him, he saw himself. Laying in a growing puddle of blood as he was earlier. He wasn’t moving, it was as if he were…dead. Shock, fear, and desperation filled his eyes. He looked at his hands and found them somewhat translucent. He reached to hold her hand, only to go right her. Kyungsoo heard a beep from the man holding Eunae and found that it was 9 AM. He lost the bet, his love, and his life. The man opened the car door and started to pull Eunae in. She screamed and shouted with tears streaming down her face. Even though they were muffled, Kyungsoo knew it was his name. She was saying his name. He screamed her name in response even though he knew she wouldn’t hear her. He felt himself being pulled. He was being pulled away from her. The distance between them grew. The last thing he heard was Eunae still screaming and shouting, then everything went black.
 
*End of flashback*
 
“I’m sorry. We got there too late...” Yongguk said feeling the guilt come back
“I remember…” Kyungsoo repeated trailing off.