New School Year

Far Away...Young Love

     It was a beginning of a new school year in Mokpo, rainy and tiring, which would most likely cause trouble for my life. Not that I don’t have anyone around or anything but it’s just that my family and I moved around too often. Our previous home in Busan was pretty nice, but because of my father’s company wanted to expand, he had to have job relocation. If he didn’t choose to have the relocation, I wouldn’t have met “him”. He was always so kind to me…as if we knew each other in the past. I thank him for what he gave me. He taught me things I never thought I could feel, love in particular. The last few months I held onto were probably the best…shall I tell my story?

     I sat on the farthest seat in the back where I hoped I could be unnoticed the whole year. Everyone looked like they knew each other, especially because they were all talking, laughing—practically socializing with each other as if they hadn’t seen each other for forever. While everyone was talking together I decided to put on my earphones and listen to music—but then the earphones were snatched away from my ears and a teacher walked in the room. Everyone was silent, were they scared of him? I looked over where my earphones were suddenly snatched then saw a guy giving me eye signals and facial expressions. I didn’t understand him so I just took them back and put them back in my ears, listening to them with my head down.

     “You don’t want to listen to music with this guy around. One mistake then he’ll hold you back for a year. Take Lee Jae Joon for an example.” he said pointing two desks in front of me. That’s when I saw a strangely tall and “intimidating looking” guy sleeping but then the guy continued, “He’s been here since I was in the eighth grade, everyone stays away from him, it’s said he took down the Korean Mafia’s lowest branch but got beat up really bad when the reinforcements showed up so he’s kind of slow now. The teacher is said to be his aunt’s fiancée so he’s really tough with him.” I nodded my head but didn’t speak, and then I looked back at ‘Lee Jae Joon’. I couldn’t help but find it cute when he slept; I mean really, he didn’t look stupid or anything…

     *BAM!* the teacher slammed a textbook on his desk then said in a friendly tone, “Anneyeongsaeyo class, I’m your homeroom teacher; Kim Pil Suk for English and History; I hope to have a fun and memorable year with you all.” Nobody spoke so it just created awkward silence. For about the whole period, Mr. Kim made everyone introduce themselves to each other. That’s when I found out the guy that snatched my earphones was an international transfer student from Beijing, China named Kim Mingyu but he had already been living here in Mokpo for about two years and seemed to be pretty nice. He wouldn't even leave me alone which was a bit weird... I also found out that Jae Joon wasn’t very social (maybe because he was tired) but he has an interest in musical instruments and actually seems pretty popular with some of the girls who think highly of themselves. He seems to have this mysterious side of him that I can’t see through. People didn’t seem to have any interest in me as in to be my friend for some reason…not sure why though, but it also made me wonder why I was the only new student.

     I practically dazed off the whole three periods or time just flies by really fast, before because it was finally lunch time. There was a large variety of food in the food selection but I decided just to eat my plain meal, including just some Kim Bap and kimchi, and then heading back to the classroom to eat. When I got there, there were a bunch of girls around Jae Joon’s desk. They were smiling, giggling, and trying to get his attention but he just turned around where they weren’t standing. I noticed his sharp features, and then almost blushing, I looked away and ate my lunch. One of the girls offered a pink lunch box filled with rice, seaweed, and tender meat with veggies spelling out ‘Joahae’. “Oppa,” she started. “I made this for you.”  He rejected it then looked over in my direction, staring at my food. I sat there awkwardly, not knowing if I should continue to eat.

     Just as the moment I was going to leave, he got up and walked up to me then asked, “Can I have one of those?” while pointing to the Kim Bap I made. I nodded my head slowly as he took one and chewed it. “It’s good, did you make it?” he asked with his mouth full. I barely understood him but was able to make out his words so I nodded my head and made a slight smile. The girl who got her food rejected walked up to me with a smile introducing herself. "Hello there, I haven't seen you around. Don't mind me I just really like to make new friends. My name is Jung Yewon. Nice to meet you...." "Chi--The name's Chi, nice to meet you Yewon." I said. The girl seemed friendly...too friendly. Even after school she decided to walk home with me. "So...you're a new student here right?" she asked as we walked home with each other. I nodded my head then she spoke again out of the blue, "Do you like Jae Joon?" Her question took me aback, "A-aniya, I barely know the guy so how could I like him?" I said with a tremble in my voice. "That's good..." she said a bit relieved, "...and don't ever think about liking him, I saw him first alright?"

     I nodded my head and said, "Don't worry so much, I don't really find him attractive..." She stopped walking. "Don't lie to me, you looked at him the way I did when I first saw him. Mystery was all there was. You even turn red when you see him and even dared to smile when he complimented you." she said in a more mature and not so innocent voice. She grabbed my newly purchased english textbook and threw it in the river we were passing on a bridge. I was shocked. How could this peaceful looking girl be so...so brusque? She smiled again sweetly while saying, "Don't come in between us alright? I don't need an obstacle in the way." After she said that she started to walk away. I was angry and a bit disappointed. The first girl I try to make friends with turns out to be horrible AND I have to pay $75 for a new book!