Friends

You & I Oneshots

So like I said, in this first Oneshot I imagined them as I = Donghae and You = as Hyukjae :) Feel free to imanige your own OTP :D

 

01. Friends

„, I’m spend.“ Looking up, I see you jogging up to me, clutching the left side of your chest.

“Suits you right, if you overdo yourself the whole time, idiot.” You mock glare at me, while slumping down on the floor, grabbing the open water bottle out of my hands. “Hey!” Gulping down half of it in one go, you grin at me, water dripping down your chin. “You’re disgusting.” The only answer to my blunt tone is your laughter.

“You know, you love me.” You say and reach over to ruffle my hair, but I slap your hand away.

“I told you! This!” I point at my perfectly styled hair. “Off limits!”

This time you really narrow your eyes. “Why you little…” Catching me off guard you pull me forward, until I’m almost lying in your lap and forcefully tousle my hair. “There you have your off limit, wimp.”

Pouting, I reach up in a desperate try to rearrange it into its usual state, but a deep chuckle stops my movement. “You guys really act like lovers.” One of our other friends says matter-of-factly, while sitting down beside us.

While my smile falters for a second, you burst into your crazy laughter again. “We? Lovers. Holy , how did I deserve that?” You joke, shoving my shoulder playfully.

I try to grin back, but even I know my face looks like I’m in pain, so I excuse myself to the bathroom quickly.

---

Of course you follow me home. You always do. ‘Your mum cooks better than mine’ or ‘But I can’t do my homework alone’, I don’t even try to listen to any of your excuses and just let you tag along. I do like having you around after all.

So as always we end up in my room, me sitting at my desk, actually doing my homework and you lying on my bed, throwing a baseball at the wall right above me. I really try not to flinch every little time the ball hits just a little away from my head.

When that stops amusing you, you look through my book selection, tossing everything of interest onto my bed (with no real intention of reading it, of course). Then you try to annoy me, but I hold myself back, because I know that when this phase is over, you’ll fall asleep.

And that time’s now. Turning around on my chair, I look at your sprawled form on my bed and can’t help the little jump of my heart. God, how I love your face when you sleep. You look so different from your usual hyper self, so peaceful, as cliché as that might sound.

Leaning closer, I observe the way your chest rises up and down, the way your hair sticks up in different directions and it’s just so cute, I always have to hold back a squeal. Biting my lip, I look around and become really still to detect the whereabouts of my mum. It’s not really difficult since I hear the pretty loud clanging sounds of kitchen gear.

Standing up from my chair, I slowly lean close to your face. Closer, closer until I can feel your breath against my lips. Just as I’m about to lean even nearer, you suddenly bolt up, crushing our foreheads together. Instead of a painful groan, matching mine, I hear you laugh again and watch in confusion as you almost double over on my bed. “Holy , you bought that? You really fell for my sleeping act?” You ask, with joyful tears in your eyes.

Turning an embarrassing shade of pink, I quickly scramble to my feet, trying to create enough distance between us to calm my speeding heartbeat. “!”

“It’s your own fault for being so naive.” You grin up at me, but then your gaze turns thoughtful. ! “But hey? What exactly were you about to do just now, hm?” Holy !

“N… nothing, I just… I just reached over you for…” For what? “For the baseball behind you.” Good job, you idiot. Way to be obvious.

“Oh really? Ok then…” You toss me the ball and in a matter of seconds you’re suddenly talking about some dance club you want to check out. I sigh in relieve.

Squinting my eyes at the little ball, I can’t help myself but praise its existence.   

02. More

A week passes after this… accident, how I like to call it. In a way it was. It was a moment of weakness and it sure was a close call. My blood freezes in my body every time I think about what would’ve happened if you became suspicious. But a week passed and you never mention it, so I think it’s ok.

But then, on the end of school on Friday, you take really long to pack your bag and I wait impatiently for you. I’m supposed to drive you home. But you are so slow that every other person already left until we are alone in the classroom. Only then I notice that you completely stopped packing and now look around, walking towards the door, closing it.

“Eh… what are you doing?” Nervously, I watch your every move. And you do move… you move towards me, backing me up against the wall. “Uhm…”

“What was that a week ago?” You suddenly ask, practically trapping me between your arms.

My eyes widen slightly and I look down. “W… What do you mean?”

“Did you try to kiss me?” Your voice lowers and you come even closer.

My breath hitches and I think it’s needless to say that my heart tries to leave my body completely. Through my ribcage. “W… What? No…”

“Because I wanted you to.” My head flies up and I see you step back. “I… I mean, I want you… to kiss me.” Suddenly you are the nervous one, looking down at your shoes. I can only look at you wide eyed, my brain not fast enough to process what you just said. My heart beating in my ears doesn’t help. “Uhm… I just ruined our friendship didn’t I?”

I snap back to the present when I hear your shaking voice. My hand reaches out to you, pulling you closer, until you’re back against me, pressing me against the wall. Once again you look at me, insecure, a little scared. And I know your emotions are mirrored in my eyes, because I feel the same. I’m scared and yet again, your hand in mine makes me feel safe. Slowly I lean in, still not really sure I’m not dreaming. I feel your breath against my lips and I close my eyes.

Oh god. Our lips touch. Slowly but surely we start to move together, breathe together. I can’t believe this is happening, I am kissing you. And you are kissing back, I can’t believe it.

And yet it’s true.

03. Break Up

It is heaven.

For two months I am in heaven. I don’t have to hide my feelings anymore. You return them. I can’t imagine what could possibly go wrong now.

Until today.

I am walking to your classroom. Once again, I’m supposed to get you home. Yours or mine, we don’t actually care anymore. But then I see you. Surrounded by your friends. Though they don’t seem very friendly today.

“…that you’re a er now.” I wince. Oh no. “How long did you think you could hide this from us?” They corner you, backing you up against a bookshelf.

You don’t do anything. Why don’t you do anything? My anger rises, seeing you small like this. “Hey! Leave him alone!” I grab one of them by is shoulder and pull him around.

“What do you want, pansy?” The guy growls. Narrowing my eyes, I sneer.

“I said, leave.” The punch coming at me is easily blocked and I twist his arm around. “Leave!” Cursing, the guy pushes me away and signalizes his friends to follow. I watch as they make their way out of the classroom, all the while glaring at their backs. Sighing, I turn to you. You don’t look at me, but silently pack your bag. “You alright?” I’m worried, you aren’t the type to just let yourself get bullied easily.

I startle slightly when you shrug off my hand I placed on your shoulder. “Hey… I think we should stop.”

Frowning I try to take your hand, but you shake me off and hurriedly leave.

You don’t speak to me the next day.  

04. Break Down

The next few weeks are hell.

I don’t stop eating, sleeping or… living or all that crap that you read about. But I don’t feel alive. Whatever I eat has no taste, whatever I do has no meaning. I can cope with losing you as a lover. But the fact that I lost you as my best friend just kills me inside. Yes, I love you, but I know you for my whole life as well and suddenly having you ripped out of it throws me into chaos.

I have other friends, yes. And still I just feel so alone.

But of course it was too good to be true. Of course you don’t love me. You are the star of our school and I? I am no one. Nothing.

But it felt so right to hold you close. Am I really the only one, who felt that way? Did you just experiment with me? Apparently…

Because, worst of all? In the first week you stop talking to me you seem to have gotten yourself a girlfriend. Or whatever that pretty little underclassman is, you constantly hang around now.

My anger boils again. Do I really mean so little to you? Forget the last few months, don’t the years we spent together mean anything to you? Just… why? Why do you do this to me?

I stay back in class, not able to see you walk home with her again. But you wait. Frowning I observe you from the corner of my eye. You never stay alone in one room with me nowadays. Is she supposed to get you this time? But I see you looking at me. What do you want?

Only when you flinch I notice that I said that out loud. “I…” You shuffle your feet nervously. „I need you.” My heart stops for a second and the starts racing. “Please be my friend again.”

And it stops completely. “You have got to be kidding me!” I close my eyes, inhale and exhale slowly.

You walk towards me and grab my shoulders, turning me around. “Please listen, I…”

“No! Stop!” I step back, furious. I was never this furious with you. “I was happy, you know? I was in love with you for over a year, but I was happy, because I had you as my friend! It was enough for me. And then you started it, YOU started it and it made me the happiest person on earth. I love you, I felt so relieved that you felt the same! But as sudden as you gave me this happiness, you took it away again. You even denied me your friendship and ignored me completely. I… I couldn’t breathe normally, I couldn’t sleep, every time I saw you with that girl, my heart broke and broke and you never noticed. You just never noticed. You stole the little pieces of my heart that still remained with me and crushed them all together. How could you do this to me? Don’t I mean anything to you?! Why did you have to make me suffer so much, what did I do to make you hate me so much?” I hear my voice break at the end and finally the tears I’ve been holding back for the last few weeks start to flow. “Did you find out that I loved you? Were you disgusted, did you want to teach me a lesson? What did I ever do to deserve this?!”

“N-no, I…” Your voice is quivering as well, but I don’t dare to look up.

“I’m sorry… Maybe someday I’ll be able to be your friend again… but not today.”            

05. Make Up

After this, it gets only worse. The tears that I had managed to hold back previously, start to flow in the most unfitting situations until I have to excuse myself from class one day. So I stop going to school all together. My parents are worried, but they accept my wish to stay home, not knowing what happened.

I haven’t seen you in a week. Good.

I just wish the last few months never happened. The little time I had with you as my lover, isn’t worth it now. I want you back. I want my best friend back… but I can’t. It just hurts too much, too damn much.

I tell my parents to let no one in. I don’t want to see anyone, don’t want to answer stupid questions. But two weeks into my absence of school, my parents apparently decide to try to help me. And of all people they let you in. They don’t know. Still, I hate them for a moment.

“I thought I told you to leave me alone.” I ask not looking at you, with an embarrassingly small voice. It’s rough from crying too much.

You sigh, not moving away from the door, but instead closing it and leaning against it. “I can’t.”

“Why do you keep doing this to me?” My voice is starting to rise. “Why can’t you just leave me alone, didn’t you do enough damage already?”

“I can’t.” You repeat shrugging lightly, but I see your hands trembling.

“Please just go.” I stand up to open the door for you, but you still lean against it. “Just go back to your girlfriend!” I say louder this time, my hands.

“She’s not my girlfriend.” How can your voice be so ing calm the whole time, while I’m this mess?

“Then what? What is she?! What was I?!” Grabbing the front of your uniform, I press you against the door. “Are you trying to break her, just like you broke me?!”

You grit your teeth. “That’s not it.”

“Then what?!”

“I NEED you!”

Silence. I can hear my heart beating like crazy in my chest and I’m not sure if it’s false hope because of your words again or just anger and frustration. I start to hit your chest, first lightly and then stronger and stronger. “But I don’t need you! I don’t want to feel this way anymore! I don’t want to constantly think of you anymore!” With every word my fists hit you harder and my tears stream faster. “Give it back to me! Just give it back to me.” When I feel your hands closing around my wrists, my energy just drains and I lean my forehead against your chest. “Please, just give me back my heart…”    

You tighten your grip. “I can’t.” Again these words. I tense. “I won’t give it back to you.” Snapping my eyes open at your words, I breathe out shakily.

“What?”

You look stubbornly, releasing my wrists and taking my head into your hands. “I won’t give you back your heart. It belongs to me, you belong to me.”

Struggling out of your grip, I can’t believe what I hear. I strike out. The slap echoes in my room and for a second you stay silent, eyes fixed on the floor. But then you look up and take hold of my head again. Crushing our lips together, you pull me close. At first I try to struggle, but then I just give up.

You pull away, leaning your forehead against mine. “I may not deserve your heart, but I won’t and can’t give it up.” You look into my eyes, your own filled with unshed tears. “Because mine’s with you…” A sob escapes my lips and I try to struggle again, but you shift your hold to my shoulders and tighten it. “I was afraid.” You admit and I stop, my eyes widen. In all the years I’ve known you, you never once admitted you were afraid of anything. “I was afraid of what people may think, I was afraid that this wouldn’t work out and that I would lose you. And by pushing you away, by pretending that I didn’t like you like that, exactly that happened. I lost you. And I couldn’t let that continue, I had to have you back. I love you!” You look pleadingly into my eyes. “I’m so sorry…”

And that’s all it takes for me to fall back into your arms. What can I do? I love you, you idiot!