Bangapseumnida!

Bolero

 

Yoochun entered the audition room. His heartbeat is unsteady and he’s dying out of nervousness. Sweat runs down through his forehead as a million things raced through his mind.

‘Can I really do this? What if I can’t? Then they’ll make fun of me like crazy and kick me from the top of the school stairs until I roll down to the bottom – ‘

“Park Yoochun? You’re up next.”

Yoochun swallowed hard.

‘Ah, let’s think about that later.’

 

“Uh, good morning, I’m Park Yoochun,” Yoochun introduces himself as he slightly bowed to the judges. His voice sounds awkward because of the Korean accent he hasn’t got over with.

“Good morning, Yoochun. What song are you going to play?”

“I’m going to play Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata.”

“Whoa, how strange. Just now that Korean girl also played Moonlight Sonata, right? What a coincidence,” a judge whispered to the judge sitting next to her, but her voice is still loud enough for Yoochun to hear.

‘There’s another Korean here too? How come I haven’t heard of her?’

Yoochun’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted when one of the judges said, “You may start now.”

 

Yoochun walks towards the grand piano sitting in the middle of the room. He sat down, opened the piano and placed his fingers on the keys.

‘Here goes nothing…’ he thought as he closed his eyes and started his performance.

Yoochun is a natural – although he didn’t take proper classic piano lessons, you can notice his talent for the instrument right away from the very first note he presses. Anyone will get mesmerized in his playing as he plays with ease but with all his heart as well.

When his performance ended, the judges gave him a standing ovation. Yoochun smiled and breathed a sigh of relief as he once again bowed to the judges.

“Good job, Park Yoochun. The results of the audition will be announced tomorrow at the announcement board in front of this room. See you then.”

 

“Wait what?”

“How come there would be two pianists in an orchestra?”

“I’ve never seen one in my whole life.”

The fuss perked up Yoochun’s ears as he made his way to the front of yesterday’s audition room. “Two pianists? That would be odd,” Yoochun said, mostly to himself, even though he wants to be one of the two so badly.

“Dude, both of the pianists are Asian!”

“You’re kidding me! They’re Asians?!”

That’s it. Yoochun thought he was going to die out of curiousity. While mumbling a few ‘excuse me’s, he struggled to get into the front of the announcement board, which meant he had to deal with an ocean of hundreds other people who are struggling to see the audition results too.

By the time he reached the board, he was out of breath. When he managed to take a good look at the results, he scanned the Piano section, hoping to see his name there –

“They’re KOREAN!” someone shouted.

 

Due to the circumstances of the judges not being able to decide only one pianist because each of their fascinating talents and abilities, we have decided to accept two pianists for this orchestra who will later participate in a duet project.

 

Congratulations to:

Park Yoochun

Yoon Eunhye

 

‘Is she the girl who played Moonlight Sonata too?’

Suddenly, Yoochun felt a tap on his shoulders that causes him to wake up from his deep thoughts.

“Ya, bangapseumnida!” called out a sing-song voice.

Yoochun turned around to see whoever is so happy to meet him. He discovered a girl with huge round eyes and brown ombre-dyed hair smiling broadly to him, offering her right hand for Yoochun to shake.

“I guess you should’ve known me by now,” the girl said, her smile getting wider. “I’m Eunhye, who’ll be your partner for the next few months.”

“I’m Yoochun. Let’s work hard, shall we?” he said as he replied Eunhye’s handshake.

“I can’t believe we both played Moonlight Sonata for our audition song. Weird, huh?” Eunhye chuckled as she sprayed some cologne unto her hand and neck.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Yoochun replied halfheartedly. He was never good in building up conversations with new people.

Suddenly he felt his chest tightening and he got trouble to breathe normally. It might be one of Yoochun’s greatest fears coming back to him…

“Eunhye… D-did y-you just use… raspberry cologne?” Yoochun gathered all his remaining strength to ask Eunhye between his short breaths.

 

“Uh, yes,” Eunhye replied, clearly puzzled.

Yoochun shakes his head in disbelief. “I’m allergic to r-raspberry cologne…” he managed to say, then suddenly he was coughing uncontrollably.

“Yoochun?” Eunhye waved a hand over Yoochun’s face. “Are you alright?”

Yoochun puts his right hand on his chest, signaling the pain he was trying to hold.

“Hey, why are you suddenly like this? What’s happening?” Eunhye said, 

“I-i… I h-have asthma…” Yoochun voice came out as a quivering whisper, almost impossible to be heard.

Eunhye’s eyes widened in shock. “How do I treat someone whose asthmatic?”

“Y-you can easily handle them with an inhaler... but I left mine at home…”

Eunhye heaved a sigh. “I’ll just take you to a nearby apothecary then, I guess,” she said, as she lifted Yoochun’s frail arms on her shoulders to help him on his feet.

‘Why do you have to be such a burden to me on the first day we met?’

 

 

Author's Note:

I'm baaaackk! Woohoo! Sorry guys I took a long time to update I got no inspiration (what a good start) T_T and I was busy making fanfics in Indonesian, hehe. I'm trying hard to learn English, so please bear with me if there's any broken English ^^ I proudly present this chapter to Kim Jaerin (2104thecassie) who constantly reminds me to update this neglected fic of mine ^^

Until then! ^^

- Kim Seungmi