05. CONFRONTATION

Scandalous In High Society

 

 Jonghyun polished the mug in his hand, his mind still back in Kibum’s living room this afternoon. What just happened? He knew it was a trap the moment he saw Hana’s eyes on his, but he walked into it anyways. What was wrong with him? He was trapped by a little kid. 

“What’s with your face?”

“Noona,” he frowned at her, “What about my face?”

“You just look…mad and amused at the same time,” She shrugged. “I don’t know how that’s even possible.”

“Just some things at work.”

“How’s that going? What’s Kibum like?” She leaned in closer to him, as if expecting some big secret to be revealed.

Jonghyun rolled his eyes, “Noona, will you turn off your reporter mode for a second?”

“No way. You’re so lucky.” His sister sighed dreamily and practically melted back onto her stool. “He’s so hot. Did you notice his lips? They are perfect!”

“No! Why would I?” Jonghyun exclaimed. Truth was, he had noticed. And they were perfect. In fact, there was nothing to really complain about when it came to Kibum’s looks – his personality, however, was another story. Jonghyun had never met anyone so infuriating. It wasn’t that Kibum was unlikable. That would have been simple if Kibum had simply been an . He could just ask Jinki for another job. But because Kibum was…well, likeable wasn’t the right word…

Jonghyun groaned in frustration. What was he trying to say?

“You have that mad-amused look on your face again.”

“Trust me, I’m not amused.” He scowled. 

“Hm.”

“What?” 

His sister shrugged, “Nothing.” But she smiled at him and he knew she saw too much. She had always been able to see too much. What was she seeing about him that made her smile that way?




“And what’s wrong with public schools?”

It wasn’t a question as much as a demand. They had been debating over the advantages and disadvantages of Hana’s current school versus public schools for the past two hours; ever since Jonghyun walked through the door to Kibum’s apartment and was ambushed by his employer who he was slowly figuring out was not a morning person.
Kibum lifted an elegant eyebrow, “I believe we’ve made that point.”

“No. You trashed my school and gave a bunch of BS reasons. But you haven’t made a legit point. Something we both can agree on.”

“That sentence was convoluted.”

“Your point, please.”

Kibum took a deep breath. Jonghyun was a lot more stubborn than he had thought. It wasn’t that the other didn’t make some very good arguments for the benefits of public schooling; it was just hard for him to wrap his mind around something so foreign. No one in the Kim family had ever gone outside the borders of S Academy. It was simply not done. Now he sounded like his grandma, Kibum sighed.

“They won’t understand,” He said finally. “We’re from different backgrounds. We were raised differently. She won’t fit in there.”

“It doesn’t seem like you fit in with your people.”

“What do you mean?”

“I saw you at that party,” Jonghyun’s gaze was direct and strong, as if challenging Kibum to disagree, “You don’t fit in. Hana doesn’t fit in. You might have all the money in the world, Kibum, but you don’t have any real connections.”

Maybe it was true, but they weren’t raised to make friends. Ever since he was little, he had attended classes: language lessons, music lessons, dance lessons, behavior school. When he was old enough, his dad had taken him aside and taught him the principles of business. Parties were mainly used for connections, business deals, and marriage arrangements. S Academy taught every kid to be the perfect gentleman and lady.

Kibum couldn’t remember the last time he did anything outside of what he was supposed to. He had graduated high school early, took undergraduate courses throughout the summer, graduated top of his class. He had attended business school at the age of eighteen, when most were just entering college. And now at the age of twenty two, he was CEO of his family’s company.

“Maybe it’s too late for you,” Jonghyun continued. “But do you want Hana to end up like you?”

“Like me?” Kibum echoed. “And what’s wrong with me?”

“Uh…” Why did he have to open his big mouth? Things just came out sometimes for Jonghyun. He shifted his gaze to the ground. “You know…”

“No, please, enlighten me.”

“You’re just…” Jonghyun gestured up and down, sideways, then sighed. “You’re just a hopeless neurotic.”

Kibum tried to resist, but his lips tugged at the corner. He couldn’t remember the last time he was so amused to be insulted. “Neurotic?”

“Yeah,” Jonghyun waved a hand throughout the space of the living room, “Everything in this place is just how you like it, down to the last nail on the wall. It’s really a bit over the top.”

“And I suppose the things at your apartment are not as you like them,” Kibum said.

“Well, no. Of course I like them there.”

“Then I fail to see your point.”

“I just mean I don’t obsess about where things have to go.”

Kibum shrugged. "I like things to be orderly."

“This is going nowhere,” Jonghyun raked a hand through his hair. Why was it that their conversations always hit some sort of brick wall? He had to always stop and start over. “I don’t think we will do Hana any good.”

“Well, she can’t blame us if we tried.”

“You’re not even trying!”

“I’m here going over the cons and pros of middle school with you,” Kibum gave Jonghyun a meaningful glance and he was instantly offended, “instead of getting real work done. I am putting in the proper effort.”

“And what’s wrong with me?”

Kibum’s lips twitched. “You’re just hopeless.”

“Hopeless?”

“As I recall it, you insulted an employer straight to his face.”

“You’ll never let that go, will you?”

“No, I don’t think I will,” Kibum laughed. It was unexpected, though his face gave it away long before the sound actually reached Jonghyun’s ears. Jonghyun’s heart missed a beat before picking up its pace. 

“What?”

“I didn’t think you were capable,” Jonghyun shook his head.

“Of what?”

“Of laughing.”

His phone vibrated before Kibum could answer. He casted the other an apologetic smile before taking out his phone to look at the name on the screen, Jonghyun grabbed his jacket, “I’ve got to go. We’ll finish this later?”

“Oh. Sure,” Kibum blinked. “Later.” He wasn't sure why he was disappointed that Jonghyung left in the middle of their arguments. Surely these aren't enjoyable? 




Jonghyun watched as the man reached for the envelope, teeth flashed in a greasy smile. He no longer hoped for anything, didn’t allow himself even a glimmer of it. But he couldn’t stop the hurt that cut like a knife when he least expected it, like now. 

“How’s your mom?”

“You stay away from her,” He grounded out slowly. “That was our deal.”

The man held up both hands. “I’m just trying to make conversation.”

“Don’t. I’m not here to make small talk.” Jonghyun got up, “If we are done here, I’m leaving first.”

“Is that any way to treat your dad?”

“My dad is dead.”

 

-

 

I hope all the pink didn't burn your eyes! LOL. I've decided to just keep the standard format from now one. Goodness. Thank you so much for reading! <3 You guys are the best. Normally I'd reply to everyone but I'm in a bit of a rush atm. How are you liking it so far? Is Jongkey keeping you amused? Teehee.

 

I LOVE YOU GUYS ;) Keep reading for your dose of Jongkey fun.