01. BEGINNING

Scandalous In High Society

 

No one had to tell him he was down to his last option – his eviction notice made that painfully obvious. The pink slip was offensively tapped to his door, the letters screamed out in black bolded font. Jonghyun ripped it off; ignoring the bit on the right corner that had torn off. Damn. He was really hoping to not have to take Jinki up on that job offer. 



Kibum scanned the ballroom, hiding in one of the dark corners as to not be seen, though he knew his presence would soon be announced to every guest the moment he saw Jinki stumbling towards him. Everything Lee Jinki did caused some sort of commotion, and all without him ever really trying. 

“There you are!” Jinki called out, looking relieved, “I’ve been looking for you.”

One eye brow rose elegantly, Kibum cocked his head to the side, “why?”

“You know that favor you wanted? I found the perfect person!”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. A university friend of mine needs a job.”

Kibum nodded, “thank you.”

A friend of Jinki’s? Well, it was better, he supposed, than to let a random stranger into his home. Not when he so much valued his privacy. As much as he didn’t like females, particularly ones who tend to chitter – and all maids are prone to chitter – but if she was Jinki’s friend, then it wouldn’t be so bad. He liked Jinki and he valued his judgment, especially when it came to someone he liked enough to call friend.

Feeling good about the decision, Kibum smiled and instantly regretted it. Jinki’s phone had chosen that moment to go off, a deafening sound of heavy metal guitar blasted throughout the room. Not that it was impolite to have one’s phone on one’s person at a party – it was just extremely inappropriate when the host of said party, honoring the art of classical music, have that ringtone. At that volume. In a room of this size, with this many people.

Jinki immediate blushed and smiled, “uh…I apparently did not turn off my phone. My apologies.”

The guests laughed - there wasn’t much they could do about it, especially since the Lee’s family was held in such high regards. Of course there would be whispers after about the extreme faux pas that Jinki had committed, but it’d be overlooked, comments would be made instead of his politeness, his good natured attitude…anything and everything to disregard this moment.

Though all eyes were trained of Jinki’s phone, which he had taken out of his pocket and was trying to turn off, Kibum knew the attention was now on him as well. After all, he was one of the evening’s most eligible bachelors.

Now he had to make his rounds and pretend he had just arrived, instead of hiding in this corner for the better part of the hour. Of course, he wouldn’t be here at all, Kibum grounded his teeth, if he had a choice.


Jonghyun adjusted the collar of his shirt once more, one eyebrow slightly raised in concentration, with his tongue slightly poked out of his mouth. His last option, he reflected and cursed the air. Being a poor college student and a bartender did not exactly pay the bills. It was by pure luck that he had met Jinki in one of his classes and was offered the job of a butler – not to Jinki’s family, but to a family’s friend.

It wasn’t the most typical of jobs but it paid well. Jonghyun figured if he had to take orders and cater to some rich person, it was better to be well paid than to have to do so anyways at some restaurant waiting tables. Or, at some Starbucks where just because some kid can pay too much for a damned cup of coffee, they think they owned the world. 

With one last look at himself, Jonghyun stepped out of his old car - or rather, a junk of metal that was struggling to live past its tenth birthday. He jogged up the steps that looked like polished marble and wondered how they kept it so shiny despite it being outside. Inside the setting was almost of that of a five stars hotel – all shiny gold and fancy statues. Jonghyun glanced down at the address written on his arm and noted that this was the right location. Was this even an apartment suite? He rubbed his damp palms on his dress pants before stabbing the button of the elevator. 

“Even the sound…sounds rich,” he mumbled to himself and wished Jinki was there with him. After all, Jinki was the one who gave him this hook up. But the nerd had shut himself off at the library, claiming he had gotten his first B and was going to commit suicide if Jonghyun did not leave him alone. So he had to show up for this first day of work all alone. 

Jonghyun stepped inside the cart of the elevator and was greeted by a guy in uniform that matched the logo in the lobby.

“Which floor, sir?” The man asked politely.

He blinked, “uh, tenth.”



Kim Kibum paced his living room, frowning. That woman. He had told her time and time again that he didn’t need someone with him. What use did he have for a maid? He was happy being self-sufficient. Granted, his live was a bit different from that of his peers; but, at least he wasn’t surrounded by buzzing people tending to his every need and getting in his way. The constant protocols of dealing with the help wore him out when he was living at home. But as much as he hated his grandma’s way of thinking, he also loved her with all his heart. And so, here he was, opening his home and door to a complete stranger.

Also, his grandma threatened that if he didn’t find someone himself, she would personally send her maid over. The chattering person she called a maid would drive him mad. The girl did nothing but giggle at him, Kibum shuddered.

The door to his apartment rung and Kibum took a deep breath.

“Hello,” the guy on the other side greeted him. He stared at Kibum in an odd way, “uh. Is this the wrong address?”

“Depends, who are you looking for?” He returned coolly.

“Kim Kibum?”

“It is I.”

The guy coughed, but Kibum had a sneaking suspicion that it was only to hide a laugh. His notion was confirmed when the guy looked at him, eyes bright and mocking, “pardon me, good Sir, I had not realized this door is a passage through time. What year have I arrived at?”

Kim Kibum was not amused, “I have no interest in whatever you are selling.”

“Wait. I was told to come here.”

“By…”

“Uh, Jinki.”

Jinki. Kibum felt like strangling the aforementioned guy. He had clearly stated that he was looking for a maid. And this guy, cheeky tongue and all, was not what he had in mind. But he was desperate, so he sighed and tried hard to conjure a smile.

“You’ve come to the right place,” Kibum stepped aside, “would you like something to drink?”

“Uh…” his guest looked him up and down, “are you…the butler? If there is already one, why do they need another? Well, I guess this place is pretty big. Oh, is that the dress code?”

Kibum looked down at his simple white t-shirt and black vest. He was wearing black dress pants and matching dress shoes. He wondered what his grandma would say. In fact, if she saw him in these clothes, she would immediately announce it unfit to wipe the floor he was standing on, much less on the staff.

“Ah,” he rubbed the back of his head, “no. What did you say your name was?”

“I didn't,” this was accompanied by a grin. “I’m Jonghyun.”

“Surname?”

“Kim.”

“Mr. Kim – “

“Wait,” Jonghyun held up his hand, “please don’t call me that. Jonghyun is fine.”

“Mr. Kim,” Kibum continued as if he hadn’t been interrupted, “I am not exactly sure –“

“Jonghyun.”

“I don’t…”

“It’s Jonghyun. Look, if we are going to be working together, let’s just be friends.”

“But you don’t…”

Jonghyun craned his neck to look around the room, “where is this stuffy employer anyways?”

“Stuffy?”

“Sure, all rich people are, right?”

“Ah.”

“So where is he?”

Kibum smirked, his most genuine expression aside from bafflement ever since Jonghyun first walked through the door, "you're looking at him."



-----------------------------------------------------------------------


HAHHAA! So Kibum's speech...x) I know it is funny. But seriously, it is needed for the role.