Chapter 3

Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” ― Helen Keller

----------

 

Sooyoung woke up in the middle of night when she heard voices. People, screaming. She thought that she was just imagining things, until she finally sobered and realized that those screaming were real. A woman’s voice, she thought. She was beginning to think that it was her mother’s, but then, it was different. It wasn’t her mother’s voice. The voices were coming from outside, from his house.

Out of curiosity, Sooyoung peeked outside her window, and she saw, in the room right across her room, a silhouette of him. He stayed put, like petrified. “Kris,” Sooyoung whispered. She heard more screaming afterwards.

“I don’t expect you to understand!”

“What is it I don’t understand?!”

“Everything! I never thought that… Moving to this country was a mistake!”

“Nothing is wrong!”

“There is!” Mrs. Wu screamed helplessly, “You are cheating on me!”

Sooyoung heard loud footsteps and a sound of a hand met cheek in a harsh way.

“Don’t you dare talk nonsense to me, woman!” Mr. Wu yelled at his wife. Sooyoung could hear the voice of Mrs. Wu, sobbing endlessly.

“What is wrong with you?!” Mr. Wu let out a frustrated scream.

“Nothing is wrong with me! You should go and ask yourself in the mirror! Why did you do that to me?!” Mrs. Wu yelled at her husband.

“I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING!”

“I KNEW IT! I SAW YOU! DON’T YOU DARE LIE TO ME! YOU’RE A BASTARD! I REGRET MARRYING YOU!”

Sooyoung gasped. She never thought that Mrs. Wu could talk like that. Mrs. Wu was always the nice and quiet one, just like her son. And now hearing her crying and screaming, Sooyoung couldn’t help but to cry. She felt sorry for her, and for Kris.

“That’s it!” Mr. Wu yelled, and Sooyoung heard the sound of a door being opened, a car door being banged, and the start of an engine. Mr. Wu left, left his wife and his son, while his wife was crying and his son was just standing, as if being petrified. Sooyoung let out a choked sob while covering with her palms; she tried hard not to make any voices. She was afraid Kris could hear her and thought she was eavesdropping. That night was definitely not the perfect time for Kris to know that Sooyoung heard them all.

----------

 

The next morning, Sooyoung decided to fetch Kris to his house to do their usual morning routines: going to school together. They were in their last year of Senior High School students, a university student soon-to-be. Kris’ house was silent that morning, Sooyoung gathered her courage, and pressed the bell. The voice of Mrs. Wu was heard, “Yes?”

“Oh, um, hi, Auntie… Um… I… is Kris going to school already?”

“Oh no he is still here. One moment, Sooyoung, I’ll open the gate for you.”

With that, Sooyoung entered the house and saw Mrs. Wu at the door, looked pale and her eyes were swollen. Sooyoung tried her best to muster her most cheerful smile, “Good morning, Auntie!”

Mrs. Wu smiled softly at her, “Morning, Sooyoung. Wait a moment, I’ll call Kris.”

Not so long after that, Mrs. Wu showed up with Kris on her side, “You guys should go now, you’re almost late.”

“Okay, mum,” Kris mumbled. He went lower and hugged his mother. Mrs. Wu hugged h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter