Power Outage

The E-mail
Please log in to read the full chapter

-Power Outage

 

-----

 

It was only a little more than a week after their dinner date when Kamijo met Gackt for coffee, but even in that short space of time, Kamijo realy didn't feel quite like himself.

Kamijo could scarcely remember when he had last had a good night's sleep. Nightmares had been plaguing him with the most paralyzing visions- some kind of...woman crawling on his bedroom floor, disturbingly widely opened eyes staring at him in a chasm of utter darkness, featureless faces that began spewing blood from a mouth-like cavity...

Every night brought some new horror for the young man, escalating to the point where he no longer felt safe in his own apartment and he would deliberately drink a few cups of strong coffee, maybe with some chocolate for good measure, in order to keep himself awake.

He was too scared to fall asleep and he'd stopped calling Gackt after a couple of nights of nightmares. Even though Gackt normally stayed awake late into the night, Kamijo didn't want to bother him too much, for he knew that Gackt stayed up late to work.

But not wanting to disturb his boyfriend was not the only reason why Kamijo had been keeping his nightmares and terror to himself. Admittedly, he was starting to wonder whether or not his mental health was deteriorating.

There was absolutely no reason why he should be having such dreams. They had started so suddenly and unpredictably and Kamijo really couldn't understand why his mind was even inventing such gruesome images. He hadn't watched any scary films lately and certainly hadn't been consciously conjuring up such scenarios. 

Part of him was just as much afraid that he really was mentally ill as he was afraid of the contents of his dreams and another part of him was simply ashamed that he was letting dreams interfere with his quality of life, to such a detrimental extent.  

"Are you feeling okay?" Gackt asked his boyfriend with concern, when they took a table at which to sit while waiting for their beverages to be prepared.

Kamijo had hardly said a word that afternoon, but it wasn't just his unusual silence that had Gackt worried about him.

Kamijo looked extremely pale, tired and even a little sick. Even his make up couldn't hide his transluscent-looking skin and his slightly listless eyes.

Kamijo paused for a moment, not sure if should just tell his love that he was fine or if he should tell him about the horrible dreams and sleepless nights that he'd been having. He didn't want Gackt to worry about him, but he didn't know how to deal with his situation by himself.

"You can tell me, whatever it is," Gackt reassured, softly.

He could see Kamijo's heasitation and wanted, more than anything, for his boyfriend to share what was wrong so that maybe, he could help him.

"...Can we...Can we go somewhere else?" Kamijo asked, in a small voice.

The coffee shop was getting crowded and he didn't really want anyone to hear clips of a conversation that he wasn't even sure if he should share with his boyfriend.

"Of course we can," Gackt smiled, resting a comforting hand on Kamijo's lower back before getting their teas to go and leading him out on to the streets.

-----

They wound up on a bench in a quiet, serene park that was, to Kamijo's great relief, essentially empty.

Kamijo needed a moment to pull himself together and figure out how to start, but he found himself telling Gackt all about his dreams and how scared he was starting to feel in his own home.

"It feels like something's watching me all the time," Kamijo confided, wringing his hands in nervousness.

Telling Gackt about how he felt made his back prickle a little and he was unsure as to whether Gackt would even beli

Please log in to read the full chapter