Chapter 2-악마와 대화 -Conversations With The Devil

The Devil Made Me Do It

 

 

Kai looked at the papers in front of him and wanted to smash his head into the desk. Police dramas never showed how much paper work you had to do.

 

 Blue paper, pink slips, yellow cards, lined sin offs, blank notes and worse of all those annoying stapled pages of tiny text that where so dry the Sahara desert couldn’t compare. 

 

Yes, he really wanted to smash his head into his desk.

 

Hard. 

 

Yawning with outstretched arms Kai leaned over the computer and sighed, it was going to a long night at the precinct. 

 

“Excuse me.”

 

 Came a voice and Kai looked up to see a man standing above him, looking down on his desk. 

 

The man was towering, even though he looked shorter in size then Kai, his personality eclipsed the room and as Kai looked at the handsome face, an unprovicated wave of fear washed over him. 

 

Kai blinked and forced out a single word.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I was told to come down here, you seem to be the only person left in the building.” The man said and Kai shook the last of the feeling off. If Kai could get over the aura around the man he might just try hitting on him.

 

“Oh yes, of course. I’m Kai, lead detective here. What do you need?”

 

“I’m here to report an abuse.”

 

“Okay, please tell me your name and your information.” Kai said and motion for the man to sit down.

 

“I’m worried about my next door neighbor.” The man said sitting, Kai took out a notepad and looked that man in the eye.

 

“And your name sir?” 

 

“Suho.”

                                                                          

                                                                          +++

 

Suho looked the police officer and smiled, he was young almost too young to believe he was a cop but he was and this cop was a real looker. 

 

He had full lips and a feminine face though his jaw line was strong enough to show he was indeed male. His dark hair was brushed back, scattered in disarray, dark eyes matching his hair. 

 

“So your neighbor is being abused.” Said the cop who named himself as Kai. 

“Yes. She is about twenty and she was recently married, she was a very sweet woman, but now I hear yelling and she has bruises up and down her arms and wearing sunglasses. I’ve tried to help but she just seems to scared to answer me.” 

 

Suho iterated, he was telling the truth, the lady next door was in trouble, normally he would have just killed the husband but it was too much work.

 

“Okay. How about we go over there right now, it’s only 8:30 I'm sure they’re still awake.” Kai said and stood.

 

“That would be good, am I allowed to go?” asked Suho and Kai blinked.

 

“Not normally, but you seem to care and since I assume you walked here you need a ride back, plus I think she would be more willing to talk to you.” He said while grabbing his keys and nodding towards the stair case.

 

“Thank you, but I don't want to inconvenience you.”

 

“No, its no trouble I insist.” 

 

Suho watched as the police officer Kai walked to the street and unlocked a car. Suho raised an eyebrow. 

 

“You have a very unique car.”

 

“Yep, ’67 chevy impala, my friend had it first, fixed it up then moved and didn’t want to take it so I became the owner and I have no complaints its prime.” Kai smiled and lovingly tapped the hood.  Suho smiled and went around to the other side and slipped in the car.

 

 The interior was ink black and shiny. It smelled of leather peppermints and a slight jasmine scent, none of which where enough to give Suho and headache. 

 Kai slid in and put the keys in the ignition, the engine rumbled and Kai pulled out and headed north at Suho’s direction.

 

“You don't seem like a cop.” Suho said bluntly earning him a wry smile and a little laugh. 

 

“Tonight I am, normally I head up S.H.I. Special Homicide Investigation but there are just not enough police and since I'm only working 12 open cases I got the night shift.”

 

“12 cases.”

 

“Most have 20, in our department, such a shortage.” Kai shook his head.

 

Kai took turn and lights glanced off his face, alighting his eyes and the cut of his jaw. 

 

Suho liked the way this man looked, it was really too bad that he was a cop, because he was Suho’s type to the ‘T.'

 

“So you seem to be a good Samaritan, most people would ignore the problems.”

 

“Yes, well I am not most people, some good people deserve to be safe in their home.”

 

“I could not agree more.” Kai said with a nod before putting one his blinker and turning.

 

“Personal experience?”

 

“It was the my first time out in the city, we got a call for a public disturbance, so me and my partner went and checked it out. The door was open and we went in. We walked in and I almost fainted, there was a whole lot of blood and...well lets just say the man had gone postal, went after the woman with a knife and then offed himself, their kid was watching. I went home sat on my bed and cried like I was four years old. I think I ate ice cream for about a week after that, ice cream and peanut butter.” 

 

Kai looked to his left and then looked at Suho, his eyes gleamed dark and his full lips quirked downwards.

 

“But you don't need to hear that, do I turn left here?” asked Kai and Suho nodded eyes fixed on the man riding next to him. 

 

“How long have you been a cop?” asked Suho, trying to change the subject quickly and Kai chuckled

 

“6 years, I was promoted to special investigations 4 years ago.”

 

“Long time.”

 

“Yep, but like to think in that time I have helped people.” Kai said and stopped at a red light.

 

“So ice cream and peanut butter?” asked Suho with a slight smiled and Kai grinned like a cheshire cat.

 

“Best coping, method out there, that and watching cartoons. You have to find something or you’ll go insane. My first coping method was to punch inanimate objects but after my fifth broken hand and third patched up wall, I realized that was a bad way to contend with difficulties.” Kai took a right and pulled to a stop looking up at the apartment and opened his door. 

 

Suho followed suit watching as Kai leaned his head up, full lips slightly open and whistled.

 

“Nice place, very...brooklyn style.” Kai said smiling and grabbing his badge which was resting on the dash and then he zipped up his jacket.  

 

“Yes... I guess.” Suho blinked when they entered the building, something wasn’t quite right. Walking forward he lifted his head slowly lifted his head a took and tentative sniff at the air. Kai’s eyes had darken and he slowly walked toward the stairs. 

 

Suho went to follow but Kai lifted a hand.

 

“Don’t. I smell smoke.” Suho looked at Kai with a raised eyebrow, he had smelled the smoke but how had Kai noticed, not many people were as good with their senses as Suho. 

 

“Its coming from the fourth floor, my floor.” Suho said with a low growl, Kai turned looking confused and then sighed.

 

“As a civilian you shouldn’t come, but I doubt I could stop you, so please don't die.”

 

 Kai sighed and turned forward and opened the door to the steps, with a gust of hot air, he could see orange flickering at the walls, eating up them with gusto and crackling, cackling as they did so,the smoke was heavy. 

 

Kai slammed the door shut and turn the knob closed. 

 

Not that it would do much 

 

“Well, .” Kai said and Suho growled.

 

“I can give you the name of the person who did this.”

 

“Thats great, but right now I'm calling the fire department and stepping back.” Kai again reached a hand across Suho’s chest in a protective motion, suho grinned knowing that he could snap this mans neck if he wanted to, but still he protected him.

 

Kai flipped open his phone and hit 3, putting to his ear.

 

“Chanyeol get to 2334, Central Sing, now!” Before snapping the phone shut and looking at the stairs.

 

“I don't think we should stay here lets move.” Kai said but froze when he heard a wail, it was most defiantly human and in pain, Kai looked at Suho before jumping forward and slamming open the door.

 

“Stay here!” Kai said and kicked the door shut on Suho who snarled in surprise not everyone was so bold but then again Kai did not know who he was dealing with.

 

 Suho growled and yanked open the door about to give Kai an earful when he found that the staircase was empty.

 

Kai was no where to be found.