Will I Regret It?

Punk Kid

Ren's P.O.V.

 

A week and a half passed. I still saw that kid on and off, always sitting on the same bench. What was he doing here of all places? Is he waiting for someone? Should I call police? This is really getting weird.

 

"There's this kid in front of my apartment building. He looks dangerous and I don't know what to do." - I said cleaning the glasses.

"Probably just some rebellious kid. Leave him be. He'll go back home tomorrow." - Minhyun gave me a quick answer.

"No, you don't get it. He's there for almost 2 weeks on and off." - I looked him in the eyes.

"In front of your building?"

"Yes. He just sits on a bench and plays on his mobile phone, then he goes somewhere, then comes back. And I see him even sleeping in the middle of the night on that bench." - I said then opened my eyes in shock - "Maybe his parents abandoned him!"

"Well, that was my first thought, but I'm amazed your so slow." - he giggled.

"Glad this is making you laugh." - I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sorry. You're really worried about this kid? He is just a kid." - he put some detergent on a sponge and started cleaning the plate.

"Yes, I'm worried for my own safety and my neighbors. I sometimes see him with his lip cut, bruises on his face and... we'll he looks like he's been in some bad fights."

"He won't do anything to you." - he said not really concerned about me or my story.

"But he looks really bad ... How to say it... He has a blond mohawk, big built, fierce eyes, scary eyes, bad eyes... Well whatever. Not like you're interested." - I gave him a annoyed look and went to take an order.

He grabbed me by my arm - "Ren, common. It's not that I'm not interested. I just think you don't have to worry about this nonsense." - he said, but I just shook his hand off.

"Whatever. I'm not mad." - I lied and went to take an order.

 

- - - - -

 

There were the days I saw him helping elderly carry their bags, or just simply talk to them. It was weird how none of them sensed any danger. Maybe it was just me? No, no it wasn't.

Right now he was sitting on the same damn bench, looking blankly in front of himself. His hands once again cut. What in the world is wrong with this kid? Where are his parents? I walked fast past him, observing him the most I could. The moment I reached my door, I turned around looking at him again. He was still staring blankly. I felt this heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I don't want to know more, but also I do. Never the less I entered my apartment and went to do my homework.

 

- - - - -

 

It was Friday 6 p.m., I was really tired, but somehow my body didn't let me sleep. I went to my desk and decided it's time for me to draw again. Just before I was able to pick up my pencil, my phone started to ring.

I picked up - "Hey."

"Hey! You busy?" - it was Minhyun.

"No, but I am tired."

"So you don't want to go out?"

"No, sorry."

"Ok.... Can I come over?"

"Sure, why not."

"Great! I'm gonna get some snacks and beer."

"Fine by me" - I smiled.

"I'll be here in 2 hours." - he hung up.

 

And just like he said, he was here in 8 p.m.. I opened the door and he basically pushed me inside with himself.

"What's wrong with you?" - I exclaimed.

"The kid! The kid with a blond mohawk!" - he had his eyes wide from shock. - "He looked nothing like a kid! You sure he's a kid? - he asked, but didn't let me answer - "His face looked angry and scary. He just passed beside me, marching like some mad man. Who in the world would want to piss that guy? Does someone wants to die?!" - he said it in one breath.

"Yes! Yes! You finally understand!" - I exclaimed and he hugged me.

"Ohh, God Rennie. His been here for 2 weeks? Why didn't anyone call the police?" - he went toward the couch and I followed him.

"I don't know. I don't understand. I didn't talk to any of my neighbors about him, but I saw him helping to elderly."

"Was he really helping?"

"I guess..." - my voice trailed.

"I think you should call the police. He's been here for 2 weeks and sleeping on a bench, right?"

"Yes, but, sometimes I didn't see him at night sleeping here."

"..." - we both stayed silent for a while.

"But his eyes. They are so frightening. His whole image is so scary looking."

"Right? My whole body is shivering when I pass by him. I always pray he would not kill me." - we both laughed and dropped this subject. The night was spent in drunken talking.

 

- - - - -

 

The next morning Minhyun went home as soon as he woke up. He was planing on going out tonight, but I was in no shape to do it. Even though it is Saturday, I am dead tired.

My mom called me in the afternoon and we had a pleasant talk. I didn't see her, dad, brother and granny in a long time. I missed them so much. As weird as it may sound, I really wanted someone by my side. Someone that I can take care of, talk to, someone that will be by my side. Weil... It seems I need a boyfriend. But I don't have time for that. I don't remember the last time I went to a gay bar looking for potential hook up or even some romance. I need to go. I'll go. I'm going to ask Minhyun to come with me next Saturday.

 

9 p.m. , I opened the fridge and to my surprise nothing was in it. Only a strawberry yogurt. What in the world? I could swear I had some things for sandwich. Suddenly a flashback hit me. Ohhh, right. We were so smashed that we decided to play a game of who can eat more . I have no idea who won, but we both lost by throwing up like idiots. Note to self - don't play who can eat more while drunk.

I put on my shoes and went toward the convenience store. I paused and peeked to see if he was there. He's not. My heart suddenly got lighter.

I bought ramyun, chips, chocolate, candy, ham, bread and eggs. I had this sudden craving for sweets. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and eat it like crazy. As I turned around the corner I saw someone laying on the floor and granny Soo-Young kneeling beside it. I rushed to her side as fast as I could.

"Granny!" - she looked at me with wide eyes.

"He is not ok. The boy does not look good." - she said with a shaky voice and was wiping away the blood from his face with a handkerchief. She was trembling like a leaf.

"I'm going to call ambulance." - I started to dial a number, but she took my hand and shook her head.

"Don't. I don't think that would be a good idea." - the tear stroll down her face and she continued wiping the blood. I just stared at her with shock and my heart tightened. What is she talking about? We can't leave him here.

She got up and said while sniffing - "Can you help me get him over to my place? Granny is going to take care of this child. This poor, poor child."

What does she know that I don't? Why is she not scared of him? I can't possibly take this kid to her house. Does she know him? They couldn't be related, since Granny never had children nor siblings. Maybe it's someone from her husbands side? - "Granny Soo-Young, do you know him?"

She shook head and signaled me to lift him. I pulled him up with all the energy I got and put his one hand over my shoulder. I realized he was conscious as he was supporting himself with his feet.

"You ok?" - I was barely keeping myself from collapsing. He was really heavy and I was really weak.

He didn't answer. Granny took my grocery bag and led us to her house. As we were passing by my apartment building I stopped.

"Granny Soo-Young..." - my voice trailed. I am so gonna regret this, but I can't let this old lady take care of him. - "I'm taking him to my place."

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

English is my second language and I think I made a lot of mistakes in this chapter.

Can you follow the story? Am I making it hard to follow?

Please comment ^^