Café Princess

Secrets of the Stones~

Absentmindedly pouring milk into the cappuccino, Sunny smiled as the heart shape formed on top the caramel coloured foam. Placing it on the tray with the rest of the order she quickly turned to bring it over to the customers table. As she glided back to the counter, empty tray in hand Sunny couldn’t help noticing that the café was busier than usual. Looking around the happy customers she felt a great sense of pride in the business she had built up for herself, though deep down she couldn’t help feel something was missing. Trying to maintain her smile Sunny took the opportunity to go into the kitchen while the counter was quiet and get a fresh batch of cakes to refill the stand. While she was placing the pretty pink cakes onto the empty tray she heard Super Junior’s ‘U’ playing in the background and suddenly found herself singing and dancing along to it completely forgetting about her customers in the adjacent room. Once the song had finished she picked up the tray and pushed the door open to see all her customers staring at her. Panicking she stuttered as she tried to apologies only to find them smile and begin applauding.

 

“Wow, she’s such a good singer.”

“I hope she releases a cd!”

“Do you think she takes requests?”

 

Turning a soft pink Sunny quickly headed behind the counter to refill the cake stand hoping to hide her embarrassment from her highly complementary customers. After placing the cakes into the stand she turned to put fresh filters into the machines while still listening to the customers kind words. Happily waving to people one by one as they left the café, Sunny quickly found herself standing alone. Thinking about closing up for the day she heard the bell tinkle as the door opened.

 

“Hello, what can I get you today?” Sunny smiled almost on auto pilot. Looking up at the rather sad looking customer, she couldn’t help feeling her mood drop as they mumbled “Just my usual please.” Setting to make the order as quickly as she could, Sunny

 

“Okay, I’ll bring it right over.”

 

Watching as the regular sat down at her usual table, she went about making her cappuccino. Turning to take the drink over, Sunny saw that tears were flowing down her cheeks as she read the letter in hand. Picking up an extra napkin as she walked over to the table, Sunny slowly approached trying not to startle her.

 

“Excuse me miss, are you okay?”

 

Smiling reassuringly as she handed her the tissue, the customer smiled at her as she wiped her cheek.

 

“Yes I’m fine thanks.”

 

Just as Sunny was about to walk away she stopped and with a slight blush colouring her cheeks stuttered.

 

“S-sorry to bother you miss, but, are yo-you Kwon Yuri?”

 

“Ah yeah, that’s me. Nice to meet you.”

 

“It’s an honour to meet you, I read your column every week.”

 

“Really? Wow, thank you.”

 

“Oh that reminds me, a pretty lady asked me to give this to you. I was going to post it in the morning but since you’re here…”

 

Taking the pearlescent pink envelope out of her apron, she placed it on the table before leaving to serve the new customer waiting at the counter. Making up the to-go order as quickly as she could, Sunny smiled happily as she handed over their coffee and wished them a good day. Glancing back over at Yuri’s table, she saw that the café was once again empty. Grabbing a nearby tray to clear the table, Sunny picked up the saucer and almost missing the tray knocked the cup off sending it rolling around the table. Carefully picking it up to make sure it wasn’t cracked, she was about to sit it back on the saucer when she saw the napkin.

 

Thank you so much, you’re an utter star.

Yuri

 

As she slowly turned a bright shade of pink, Sunny turned and headed into the kitchen to fill up the dishwasher. After spending ten minutes of filling it up she turned it on and was about to head back into the café when she remembered the napkin. Pausing for a moment she remembered an old empty frame in the office upstairs and quickly ran to get it.

 

Hanging the napkin just under the light switch, Sunny smiled happily and was about to close up when she heard the bell on the door tinkle again. Turning round to find herself completely alone, she walked over to the counter to look out the window. Seeing no-one in the street outside either, a look of confusion crept onto her face as her gaze fell to the counter.

 

Finding a small box in front of her topped with an envelope identical to the one she had given Yuri earlier that same day, she couldn’t believe this one had ‘Lee Soonkyu’ on the front. Tentatively picking up the envelope and turning it over, Sunny broke the seal and removed the letter.

 

Darling Sunny,

You probably don’t remember me, but we met a very long time ago. I have left you a little present as a thank you for helping me all those years ago, I hope it helps you find your true calling.

Best wishes x

 

Staring at the letter blankly for a few minutes, she couldn’t believe someone who in her mind was a stranger would be so informal with her. Once the shock had passed, Sunny tried to think back to who could possibly have sent her the letter but was unable to think of anyone who met the description.

 

After a few minutes had passed, she decided that she wasn’t going to be able to remember and proceeded to open the box. Gently tugging the ribbon surrounding the box, Sunny lifted the lid off and removed the first layer of tissue paper to reveal a beautiful garnet and yellow topaz headband.

 

Putting the headband on and checking her reflection in the side of the coffee maker, she smiled as she fixed her fringe. Watching as the setting sun caused the stones to sparkle, Sunny stood playing with her pigtails making cute faces at her reflection before realising that the shop was still open and someone could walk in at any moment. Deciding to take the opportunity to close the shop, Sunny locked everything up and headed home for the evening.

 

Arriving home, she had just let herself in when there was a knock at the door. Opening the door to see no-one was there for the second time that day, she was about to shut the door when a quiet mewl caught her attention. As a small white cat began rubbing its head against her ankle Sunny’s heart melted as she picked it up. Checking its nametag, on the reverse it said ‘If found, please return to Lee Soonkyu’ before listing her address. Turning it back to see its name Sunny cooed “Aww your name is Sogeum, I always wanted to own a cat called Sogeum.”

 

Realising what she’d just said, Sunny looked down at where the cat had been and found another envelope. As she tried to pick it up, the cat in her arms bounced out of her arms and began roaming her apartment. Closing the door so it couldn’t run away, she opened the envelope to see what it would say this time.

 

Dear Sunny,

Apologies but I felt like you needed a push in the right direction. You always said that when you were brave enough to change you’re path you’d start by getting a cat. Now you have sweet little Sogeum, I hope you will finally audition. You’re more than ready… please, you owe yourself this much.

Best wishes x

 

Deciding that things were getting too weird, Sunny decided to go straight to bed and deal with whatever was happening in the morning. Waking the following morning to find a beautiful white fluff ball in her arms, she couldn’t help smiling as it purred before her nose. As she tried to motivate herself to get out of bed, Sogeum climbed onto her chest and fell asleep humming gently.

 

Not wanting to disturb the sleeping kitten but needing to get ready for work, Sunny gently picked him up and let him curl up on the pillow as she quietly got dressed. Making sure to leave food and water out for the Sogeum, she pulled on the nearest pair of shoes as she fell out the door.

 

After a very quiet day with only one customer, Sunny was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to come in before closing. Almost asleep on the counter when the door opened, a really chipper Yuri skipped in “Hey Yuri, what can I get you?”

 

“Hmm, how about… a strawberry lemonade and 4 of your famous cupcakes.”

 

“Oh changing up the order, is it a special occasion?”

 

“No, just in a really good mood today.”

 

“Okay then, I’ll bring it over in a moment.”

 

As Yuri glided over to her usual table, Sunny made up the lemonade and did her best to keep the tray balanced as she headed over to her table.

 

“Here you go, one strawberry lemonade and 4 cupcakes.”

 

“Oh wow 4 different flavours, when did you bring in the new ones?”

 

“2 days ago, they’re on a trial run this week.”

 

As she turned to leave, it was all she could do to hide her surprise as Yuri blurted out.

 

“I-if you’re not too busy, m-m-maybe you could join me?”

 

Taken aback by the request she turned and seeing the pretty smile that greeted her she slipped into the chair across from Yuri.

 

“Thank you, no one ever invites me to join them.”

 

“Really? I guess it’s there loss then.”

 

“Keke you’re too kind Yuri.”

 

“Oh I’ve just realized, I’ve been coming here for 3 years and I’ve never asked your name.”

 

“Ah, it’s Sunny.”

 

“Well thank you for joining me Sunny.”

 

“Oh hey I’ve been meaning to ask, the napkin you left yesterday… why ‘thank you’?”

 

“For passing on the letter, you didn’t have to but you did anyway.”

 

Watching as Yuri glanced across to the counter and spot the small frame hanging with the napkin in it. Smiling as she watched Yuri turn the same colour as her drink then proceed to stuff a whole cupcake in , Sunny mumbled.

 

“Oh I’m sorry, does it embarrass you?”

 

“Mm no not at all, I just didn’t expect it.”

 

“It’s not every day you get a writers autograph, let alone one you read religiously… I felt it deserved to be on show.”

 

“It’s just a silly little column I started doing in high school, I’m not a real writer.”

 

Sunny gave her a scolding look as she practically inhaled the other 3 cakes with a sheepish smile.

 

“You really think I count as a writer?”

 

“I do.”

 

“Well I might be writing for much longer.”

 

“Really? why?”

 

“I… I auditioned for SM today and if I’m lucky then hopefully I will be hiring a replacement.”

 

“You did? Wow I wish I was brave enough to do that…”

 

“Honestly I’m surprised you haven’t already, you’re an amazing singer and super cute too.”

 

“Really? Wow thank you…”

 

After her cheeks returned to their normal colour Sunny turned her ring absentmindedly as she asked.

 

“Yuri… why don’t you like your job anymore?”

 

“I-I guess I’ve been doing it too long, it just feels like every week I’m answering the same letters and it’s slowly driving me crazy…”

 

“Will you still quit if you don’t get accepted?”

 

“If I can find another job I think I will…”

 

“Well y-you know I’m hiring if you’re interested?”

 

“Really? You’d consider hiring me?”

 

“Well yeah, you’ve been coming here so long it would be like working with a friend.”

 

Before Yuri could respond a new customer came in dragging Sunny back to her work. Serving the customer with a bright smile, she decided that if Yuri could be brave enough to audition then she should be too. Waving to Yuri as she headed out, a newfound sense of drive swept through her and for the first time in a long time Sunny was excited to see what the future would bring.