.

Zhang Yixing, the Tutor

 

It was a warm and sunny day in the middle of April. Spring breezes would gently sway the trees side to side. The sky was painted a light blue and cotton-like clouds floated above. A shrill ringing of a bell caused a flock of birds escape a tree near the science building.

Students at Shanghai High exited the building in groups. The bell, signaling the school day was over, had rung and everyone was excited to finally go home.

Zhang Yixing, a handsome senior with amazing brains, exited the math building with his hands in his brown slacks. A soft smile curled his lips upwards as he jogged down the stairs and joined the rest of his friends.

“Jeez, what takes you so long?” Xuimin, the little bun with chubby cheeks, teased. 

Luhan protectively placed a hand on Yixing’s shoulder and smiled, “Leave him alone. You know he has to properly say good bye to his math text books.” He joked, making everyone laugh.

Yixing rolled his eyes with a smile. He rubbed the back of his neck and cleared his throat. “I’ll see you guys later. I have to go to tutoring.”

“Tutoring, again?! That’s the third time this week.” Tao exclaimed.

“Why would you need tutoring? You have the brains of a God or something.” Chen stated. Everyone nodded in agreement.

Kris crossed his arms and suspiciously looked at his friend. Yixing glanced at Kris and quickly avoided his stare.

Yixing let out a shaky laugh. “Extra help can’t hurt, right?” He fixed the straps of his backpack and started walking away. He turned around and waved at the boys, “See you tomorrow.” And with that, he disappeared around the corner.

“Should we follow him?” Xuimin suggested.

All eyes landed on Kris. The corner of his mouth twitched up into a small smirk. “Most definitely.”

--------

Yixing arrived at a large coffee house and stepped inside. He scanned the vicinity for her. He spotted her sitting at a booth near the far, right side window. Her hair was tied up in a perfect ponytail and the sun hit her silky-smooth face at just the right angle. He felt his heart hum in happiness in his chest.

*Calm down, Yixing. You’re just tutoring.* He took a deep breath and walked over to her. She was so engrossed in the novel she was reading that she didn’t notice him standing next to the table. Yixing cleared his throat and knocked on the table.

Lihua looked up in surprise. Along with her lips, her eyes smiled. She closed her book and straightened up. “Hi Yixing.”

He slid his backpack off and sat across from her. “Hey.” He placed his elbows on the table and looked at her. “Did I make you wait long?” Yixing asked, worried.

“Not at all.” Lihua assured with a smile. She pulled out her math notes and homework as Yixing did the same. “I am ready master.” Lihua joked as she fixed her glasses on her nose.

Yixing blinked at her and laughed, while covering his mouth. *She’s so cute.* “What do you need help with today?”

Lihua flipped open her math workbook and passed it to him. “Natural logs. They’re so weird and confusing.” She placed her chin on the table and frowned.

Yixing brightened. “These are easy. We’ll finish in no time.” He smiled.

“Easy for you because you’re a math genius.” Lihua’s frown deepened.

“We’ll I’m pretty good at science, history and English too.” He mused.

Lihua glared at Yixing. “You’re mean.”

Yixing laughed. *I always laugh when I’m with her.* “Okay, okay. Let’s get started.”

“Yay.” Lihua dryly cheered and grabbed her favorite pencil.

-----

“Scoot over!” “I can’t see. Move your head.” “Pass me a menu!”

Kris sighed impatiently and smacked his head on the table. *Why did I agree to this?*

“Get off of me, Xuimin.” Luhan huffed and tried to push the bun off his lap.

“I’m shorter than all of you. Deal with it.” Xuimin said through gritted teeth. Xuimin covered his face with the menu, only allowing his eyes to peek over.

Tao crouched down on the booth seat and leaned over. He stuck his head out and looked over at Yixing and Lihua. “Who is that girl? Is she his girlfriend? Why would he hide her from us?” Tao looked at the guys for answers.

“Are we embarrassing?” Chen asked, offended.

Xuimin snickered, “Only you are, Chen.” Chen frowned and crossed his arms.

“What are they talking about? I can’t hear.” Luhan pushed Xuimin’s head to the side to get a better look.  

Kris massaged his temples. “Why don’t we just go over there and ask?”

Everyone whipped their head towards the giant blonde. “Are you dense?” Xuimin hissed.

“Yes.” Chen nodded in response for Kris. Kris shot Chen a glare and elbowed him.

Tao sat up and looked at Kris. “We just can’t hustle on over there. What if they’re on a date?”

“Yixing isn’t being tutored. He’s the one doing the tutoring.” Luhan stated.

Chen planted his elbows on the table and rested his chin on his palm. “Well this is boring.” He sighed. Tao set the menu down and nodded.

“Is he laughing?!” Xuimin whispered in disbelief. *That bastard hardly laughs when he’s with us.*

Everyone leaned forward and stretched their necks to see the scene. 

 

Yixing’s lips curled into a smile as he laughed revealing his adorable dimple.

“Why are you laughing? It’s not funny.” Lihua groaned and banged her head on the table.

“I’m sorry.” Yixing put his fist to his mouth in attempt to suppress his laughter.

Lihua frowned. “I’m going to cry. Why can’t I be a math genius?”

Yixing admired her beauty. Even when she was frowning and making a ‘crying’ face, she still looked beautiful. “Don’t cry, Lihua.” She looked at him and softened. She liked it when he said her name. “I’ll take you through the steps again. Solving natural logs will be a piece of cake for you.”

“Speaking of cake. I want some now.” Lihua stood up. Yixing looked up at her in confusion. “Do you want something?”

Yixing politely declined. “No, thank you.”

Lihua planted her hands on the table and peered at him. “You won’t let me pay your for tutoring me, at least humor me with allowing me to buy you something.”

“Okay.” Yixing gave in with a small smile.

“What do you want?” Lihua brightened. “I’ll just surprise you.” She spun on her heel and walked away.

Yixing looked away and pressed his fist against his mouth. He shut his eyes and opened them. He looked out the window and smiled.

“I forgot my wallet. Hehehe.” Lihua snatched her wallet off the table, gave Yixing a small embarrassed smile and shuffled over towards the cashier.

*She’s killing me.* Yixing chuckled and dragged his hands down his face. He laid his head down on his math book and sighed in content. He felt bodies hover near him. Yixing turned his head. His eyes rounded when he saw his friends.

Xuimin had his hands on his hips and was tapping his foot on the tile floor. Tao leaned towards Yixing and peered at his face. Chen, Luhan and Kris were silently looking at Yixing with their arms crossed.

“What are you guys doing here?” Yixing asked, shocked.

“The question is what are you doing here? With that girl.” Xuimin jabbed Yixing’s chest with every word. “Are you cheating on us?”

Yixing stared up at Xuimin and laughed. “What?”

“Yep. He’s cheating on us.” Tao claimed.

Yixing covered his face and laughed. “You guys are so weird. I’m helping a friend with math homework.”

“A girl friend?” Chen stated more than asked.

“N-No. She’s not my girlfriend.” Yixing’s cheeks turned pink along with his ears.

Everyone smirked. “We never said she was your girlfriend. Why are you turning pink? Huh?” Xuimin taunted.

“Let’s just go. He’s in the middle of tutoring.” Kris said.

Xuimin and Tao made a face. “Fine. But we’ll talk about this later.” Xuimin gave Yixing a look and was pulled away by Luhan.

“Were those your friends?” Lihua returned with two cups of jasmine tea and a large muffin. She placed the in the middle of the table and sat down.

Yixing nodded. “Yeah. They were in the area.” *And they decided to stalk me.*

“I hear these muffins are the best. Try some.” Lihua held out the plastic, blue spoon with a soft smile.

Yixing took the spoon. “Don’t let the muffin steal your focus from math.” He joked.

“Yes mother.” Lihua playfully rolled her eyes and bit on her spoon while laughing.

-------

“So what did you guys do? Does she go to our school? What’s her name? Is she a good kid? Does she do drugs? What if she’s secretly a ninja who steals souls and eats people’s hearts?”

Yixing ignored Xuimin’s twenty questions and changed into his P.E. uniform.

“Good lord Xuimin. Leave Yixing alone, are you his wife?” Chen snorted. Tao and Luhan snickered. Kris just shook his head and leaned against the lockers.

Xuimin shot Chen a look and then fixated his attention on Yixing. “I’m waiting for answers.”

“Math. Yes. Zhao Lihua. Yes. No. And yes.” Yixing sighed and tied his sneakers.

Xuimin’s eyes widened. “Wait, did you say yes to the last part?!”

Yixing smirked and headed towards the door. Luhan, Tao and Chen doubled over in laughter and followed after Yixing.

“Can you believe this kid?!” Xuimin threw his hands up in the air and looked at Kris. He laughed and clapped Xuimin on the shoulder.

-----

“Ahh, the sun is warm on my face.” Hyosung, the Korean transfer student and Lihua’s friend, beamed and patted her pretty face. 

 

Lihua laughed and tilted her head back. The sun warmed her skin and she felt serene. She smiled and looked down at her shoes. “Yah, my shoes are untied, tie them for me.” Lihua said in Korean.

“Aigoo~  I’m not Chinese deficient. I’m just a slow learner.” Hyosung made a face but tied Lihua’s shoe anyway. Finished, she stepped back and made an ‘OK’ sign. “Looks good.” Hyosung winked at her.

Lihua laughed and gave a tiny applause. “Yay~”

“Let’s go line up before the teacher eats us for breakfast.” Hyosung shuddered and skipped towards the numbers.

-------

For sport, the three second period P.E. classes joined and played soccer. Hyosung and Lihua were placed on a team with Yixing, Xuimin and Tao.

Yixing walked by and shyly waved. “Hi Lihua.”

Lihua looked up and smiled. “Hi Yixing.”

“So THIS is Zhao Lihua?” Xuimin peeked over Yixing’s shoulder and zoomed into her face. She jerked her head back with wide eyes. “Are you really a ninja who steals souls and eats people’s hearts?”

*OMFG.* Yixing and Tao slapped their palms over their foreheads and groaned.

Lihua glanced at Yixing and then back at the baozi in front of her. “What?”

“Ignore him.” Tao pushed Xuimin away and held his hand out, “Ni Hao. I’m Huang Zitao. You’re the girl Yixing’s been tutoring, right?”

Lihua’s cheeks turned pink, but she managed a nodded and shook his hand. “Ni Hao.” She said in a quiet voice.

“I’m Xuimin and I’ve got my eyes on you.” Xuimin gave Lihua a pointed look and then walked away with Tao.

Yixing sighed in relief. “Please forgive my friends, they’re….special.”

Lihua looked at Yixing with a blank expression. He thought she was mad at him and panicked. “Please don’t be mad.”

“Mad?” Lihua tilted her head in confusion. “Why would I be mad?” She laughed.

“YAH! ZHAO LIHUA, GET YOUR CHINESE BOOTY OVER HERE!” Hyosung hollered and giggled.

*Aigoo.* Lihua made a face at Hyosung. “That’s my cue. Thanks for tutoring me, Yixing. Thanks to you, I passed my natural logs quiz this morning.” Lihua smiled.

Yixing rubbed the back of his neck. “It’s nothing. You’re a very good learner.”

“I have a very good tutor.” Lihua winked. “I’ll see you later. Bye.” She waved and jogged over to Hyosung.

Yixing warmly smiled and walked over to his friends. He leaned against Luhan and pinched his eyes closed.

“What’s wrong with you?” Luhan looked at Yixing.

Chen tossed the ball between his hands and looked at Yixing. “Lover boy.” He playfully scoffed.

“He’s in love with a soul stealing, heart eating ninja!” Xuimin exclaimed.

Kris shot his head towards him. “Xuimin, shut up with that already.” Kris growled.

Yixing couldn’t help but laugh. He walked over to Xuimin and threw his arms around him. Tao brightened, “Oooh, hugs!” He wrapped his arms around Xuimin from behind and rested his head against his.

------

After the last bell rung, students piled out from Shanghai High.

Yixing, Tao and Chen met up with Kris, Luhan and Xuimin who were waiting near the front of the school.

“Let’s go! I want to play Xuimin’s new video game!” Tao happily exclaimed.

“Who says I’m going to let you play it?!” Xuimin shot. Tao gaped at Xuimin and they began to squabble.

At that exact moment, Lihua and Hyosung were making their way down the steps. They animatedly conversed about the weekend.

Xuimin noticed Lihua from the corner of his eye and turned his head. His jaw dropped at the girl with her arm hooked through Lihua’s. *WHO IS THAT?!*

“Hey look, there goes your girlfriend.” Chen pointed.

Yixing turned around and immediately brightened at the sight of her. “Well don’t just stand there, go talk to her! And ask about her friend for me!” Xuimin roughly pushed Yixing towards the girls

Yixing stumbled and stopped in front Lihua. Surprised, the girls stepped back. “Hi.” He breathed out.

“Oh, hi Yixing.” Lihua smiled.

Hyosung unhooked her arm from Lihua’s and stepped to the side. “I’ll wait for you over there.” She pointed to the gate, glanced at Yixing and walked away.

“Araso.” Lihua nodded. She looked up and met eyes with Yixing. “So what’s up?”

Yixing awkwardly cleared his throat and scratched the back of his head. “Uhm…so that’s your friend, huh?”

“Hyosung? Yeah. She’s a transfer student from Korea.” Lihua replied.

He nodded in understanding. *Ugh, how do I ask her without being weird?* Yixing sighed and just winged it. “Does she have a boyfriend?”

Lihua’s smile fell. She felt her heart sink a little and swallowed hard. *Does he like her?* “No.”

“Oh, that’s cool.” Yixing nodded. *He totally does like her.* The though saddened her. Yixing looked at Lihua’s crestfallen expression and fervently shook his head. “I’m not interested in her. I would never date her. I mean….she’s not my type.” Yixing mentally scolded himself and exhaled. “Xuimin wants to know.” He jabbed a thumb at him.

Xuimin waved and smiled his cute smile. “NI HAO!” Luhan pulled his arms down and scorned him for being ‘so scandalous.’

Lihua put her fist to and chuckled. “Hyosung is available. I’ll set them up.” She smiled, glad Yixing wasn’t the one interested in Hyosung.

“Lihua, can I ask you something?” Yixing felt a surge of confidence flow through his veins and stepped closer to her.

Lihua silently nodded and looked up, locking eyes with him. “Yeah.” She whispered.

“Are you available tomorrow?” Yixing asked.

“Yes.” Lihua’s heart pounded in her chest.

Yixing smiled in relief. “Good. Would you like to go to the carnival with me? It’s the last day tomorrow.”

Lihua curled her hair behind her ear and chewed on her bottom lip. “I’d love that.”

“I’ll pick you up at six.” He smiled.

“Sounds like a plan.” Lihua agreed. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She turned to leave.

Yixing reached out and gently grasped her wrist. “Wait, you forgot something.”

“What is it?” Lihua turned around and bumped into Yixing’s chest.

“This.” Yixing stooped down and pecked her cheek.

Lihua’s eyes went wide as saucers. She looked up at Yixing. He just smiled down at her and softly touched her hair. He walked away, heart humming happily in his chest.