October 2, 1996

That Autumn, the Wind Blows

 

October 2, 1996

There was something wrong with her. She had first noticed it when she accidentaly bumped into a wall at school. That light-headed, fuzzy feeling had started occuring a few weeks ago. At first, it would only come once a week. However, as the days passed, the thing continued to recur. It gradually developed and worsened. Headaches frequently struck her. The unbearable pain led to her soft wails as she tried to push it out and away, only to fail again and again. What was worse than then the pain was the fact that she couldn't see cleary. No, there were times when she couldn't see at all. The idea of being blind frightened her. After all, she was only nine. Everyone else in her class was fine—everyone but her. 

That morning, she ran through her usual routine. As she scrambled downstairs, her eyes connected with those of the secretary. Ever since, the divorce, she—Secretary Wang, had stayed at her house to take care of her. As if she needed any hospitality from the evil witch who had been the sole reason for her parents' divorce! Rather, Min Young made it her goal to avoid the lady as much as possible. Today was no exception. 

She barely acknowledged the woman. She just gave the slightest hint of a shrug before snatching her lunch from the counter. With her backpack and lunch, she was ready to go. Youngie brushed passed Secretary Wang and walked leisurely out into the warmth of the sun. Already October, the days would begin to darken and cool. After all, the multitude of leaves had long started to cluster and hog the ground. 

A good five minutes into her walk, she arrived at the edge of a driveway. She waited patiently, her polished shoes clicking against the black gravel. It was when she heard the soft bang of the door that she knew it was time to go. 

The headaches and blurry vision weren't the only things she had noticed. It seemed as if her hearing had gotten better. For some reason, she could make out the softest whispers of her students and even the gentle rustle of a leaf brushing against the surface of the road. 

Sung Na's hand clasped hers as the two made their way to school. The two passed by the main entrance where groups of young children hung out. To one side, she could make out the boys muttering over some new gadget. On the opposite end, she saw the familiar faces of her friends. The two girls walked in that direction and joined the conversation. 

However, when Youngie approached her friends, the headache came. It shook through her entire body. She scrunched her face in pain and rushed to the nearest bathroom. Behind her, she coupld make out the whispers of her friends. This was the third time. They would realize there was something wrong with her. 

She rushed into the bathroom, only to skid across the wet floor. She landed with a thump across the damp tiles, her head colliding against the hard ground. The fall worsened the pain, and her head began to throb. 

Around her, a small crowd of girls began to gather. There was more staring, more laughing, more embarassment. It was only when Sung Na saw her that she let out a sigh of relief. She would help her get up and the two would walk to the nurse like best friends. In fact, they were best friends.

But no, Sung Na did not help her up. She did not respond to her pleading eyes.  She did not acknowledge Youngie. She just simply stared at Youngie with pity and a hint of that—of disgust. It had just been like that morning when she ignored Secretary Wang, except she was the one being ignored.