August 24, 1994

That Autumn, the Wind Blows

 

August 24, 1994

 

It had been her birthday yesterday on the twenty-third of August. The day of her seventh birthday was beautiful. Nevertheless, it would probably be her last one filled with happiness. For after the twenty-four hours of cake, balloons, and presents, everything had resumed to its normal state. The following day, she woke up to the shouts of her parents. They were fighting again. It had all started a month ago when she came. That secretary who always spoke in that rigid voice of hers. 

The girl sighed and wiggled out from her quilted duvet. She walked the ten steps from her bed to her closet and pulled out the set of clothes she had received from her mother. There was a plain white blouse with a blue plaid shirt. What she loved most were the denim capris that enhanced the outfit. It was so simple and...beautiful. 

She quietly exited her room and walked across the hallway to her brother’s room. With her right hand, she gave the door a soft push before stepping in. Her toes creeped across the hardwood floors towards the bottom bunk where her brother slept, fast asleep. His gentle breathing rose and fell at a steady rhythm. Up and down, up and down. 

Slowly, the girl reached out and tucked her hand under her brother’s chin, wiggling her fingers. With a sharp yelp, the once asleep boy sprang up, and collided against the wooden frame of the bed. He screeched in pain before narrowing his eyes into slits and glaring at his younger sister. “Youngie-ya!Nuh jja-jeun-nah!” 

The girl just giggled and hopped onto the bed. Her little feet pounded against the wall while she clapped her hands.

Suddenly, the click of heels could be heard. The two children whirled their heads to the woman who had entered the room. She was of an average height with a clean bob cut. Her almond-shaped eyes were piercing, the perfect addition to her strict personality. 

The girl’s body instantly froze. The sound of tapping feet and clapping hands immediately stopped.

After a moment of silence, the secretary finally spoke, “Your parents have to tell you something important. Meet them in the family room.”

As the woman retreated out of her brother’s room, Youngie’s mind started spouting questions. What did her parents want to tell them? Why in the family room?

She nodded at her brother and the two linked hands before scurrying down the stairs to the family room. 

Her mother was seated on the sofa closest to the window while her father sat in the one placed against the wall. In between them was the coffee table, where there was a small stack papers. 

The two siblings plopped themselves in the remaining sofa and looked curiously at their parents. 

Her father was the first one to speak. “Children, the past few days, your mother and I have talked over some problems and we have decided that it would be the best choice for our family to split. To make it fair, your mother will take Kyung with her and  you, Youngie will stay with me. Arrasseo?”

What did her father mean? Why would Kyung-ah have to go? What about mother? Why would she have to stay wither her father? WHY?

Her eyes began to water while a hand gripped hers. It was her brother. Her nose stung and she tried to contain the tears inside her. However, there was too many of them, too much for her to hold in. 

She hated its salty taste. Its sticky, wetness. She hated the teardrop that began to slip from her left eye.