First Shot - Who is Key?

BAEK - 100 Days

 

 

September 23, 2056

 

Taemin’s POV.

 

It’s been hours since he was like this. I admit I’m not strong enough to look or even talk to him, because he’s not the same grandpa that I knew. Most of all, I’m not really used to seeing him like this.

 

Weak and dying.

 

“Grandpa…” I held his hand and kissed it, afraid that it will be the last time that I will be able to do it. I don’t want to let him go yet. Not yet. I’m not ready to let my one and only grandpa go.

 

My parents migrated to the US seven years ago. I was just fifteen years old at that time but I knew I didn’t want to leave my grandpa behind. I was my parents’ only child but I’m a certified grandpa’s boy. My grandparents from my mother side were living overseas so I wasn't really used to seeing them that often.

 

My dad didn’t really care about him, but I do. I care about Grandpa because he seems really lonely ever since. I tried talking to umma or appa about it but neither dared to tell me anything. If it’s concerning about my grandma whom I never actually met because she died early, well at least I still have to know about it, right?

 

So even if it means my father would never forgive me for my decision, I have decided to stay by my grandpa’s side and take care of him. It took me serious courage to go against my father’s wishes and my mother’s pleas, but in the end umma understood me so she helped me in persuading appa to allow me to stay. Given the condition that I visit them every month and they visit me every Christmas, he finally agreed. Grandpa owns a very big house in the heart of Incheon, and it seems he really treasures it. He told me that no matter what, he would never leave that house. It was a special house for him.

 

At first I wanted to regret staying because Grandpa had certain mood swings which I don’t get at all. During the first two years it was hard to get along with him. Even my cousins and other relatives agree. But I would always tell myself that he was just like that because he’s really lonely. Seven years of living with him proved me right. Grandpa is usually a jolly person, when he wanted to. He is a kind-hearted and caring person, and most of all, he taught me the things that I needed to learn about life. I was with him during my adolescent and young adult years, and I can say that I’ve learned so much from him.

 

The thing that frustrates me the most is just that he refused to tell me all about the things that burdened him all these years and just kept everything to himself.

 

The doctor told me it’s one of the things that triggered his disease.

 

“Hmm… T-Taemin… Taeminnie… I-is t-that you?” I woke up to my senses when I heard my grandpa speak. He was fighting hard to keep talking although I know it pains him even more.

 

“Yes, i-it’s me. Grandpa, please fight it…” I felt hot tears falling down from my eyes as I scanned his whole being. His cheeks, once rosy and full of life, were shrunk. His eyes, once vivant, were now half-closed.

 

“I just… j-just want to… s-see… s-s-see… him…”

 

Grandpa breathed hard, I know he was doing a duel with life and it looks like he’s losing it. Those tears continued to pour down from my eyes and it turned into a weep. I clutched Grandpa’s hand into my chest. What is he talking about just now?

 

“W-what do y-you mean, Grandpa? Please tell me anything that you want. P-please…”

 

“S-see him… j-just him… before I… I… rest… please j-just l-let me see… him.” His eyes opened and looked into mine. Those eyes were pleading. I wonder who Grandpa was talking about. Him? Who could that be?

 

Me?

 

“Are you looking for me, Grandpa? T-this is Taeminnie… G-grandpa… This is me…” I put my head beside his and wiped the sweat from his face. If only I could do something to make him feel better and to keep him alive… but…

 

“Taeminnie… my d-dear grandson… h-help me… see… him.” He said between coughs.

 

“H-him? Who’s him? Is it A-appa?” I curiously asked, even though I know it’s impossible. My father wasn’t actually in good terms with him, and that’s one of the things that I have longed to ask Grandpa as I was growing up. But seeing as they still treat me like a kid in my age, I never actually had the courage to ask my grandfather about it.

 

I just remembered hearing a conversation some years ago, and it was a rare one between my father and his father. It happened in Grandpa's kitchen, and it was Christmas Eve. I hid behind the laces of the curtain that Umma made especially for the holidays.

 

“Yah! You’re still drinking that stupid soju of yours? Why don’t you keep that? It’s a bad example for Taeminnie.” Appa sternly scolded Grandpa as he was drinking something from a green container, but Grandpa ignored him and continued looking into a blank space.

 

“I don’t get you at all. What have you ever done every Christmas except for sulking and drinking! Every single damn year!”

 

It seems like Grandpa wasn’t really paying attention to what father was saying. It wasn’t like him though. I know Grandpa, he really loves my Appa, even though he doesn’t show it too often. Sometimes I think Appa just misunderstands him. But how would I know right?

 

“You would never understand, Minho, so better not say anything. Just celebrate the night and make Taemin happy because it’s Christmas.” Grandpa sounded weird. It’s that what they call ‘drunk’ then? But impossible, Appa said drinking is bad, and Grandpa never does anything bad, right?

 

“What the hell is that father? What the hell?! You never made me happy during Christmas so what right do you have to tell me to make Taemin happy!”

 

“You’re just wasting your time with me.” What is happening with Grandpa? It seems like he transformed into another person.

 

“Are you even listening to me, father? Look at you, you’re still the same! You never changed! For goodness sake, just forget all about your ex-boyf—”

 

“Minho, stop it. Taeminnie’s listening.” All of a sudden, umma appears in the scene and the two men fell silent. My father turned his back on Grandpa, while the other just continued drinking whatever it is he’s drinking. I was really worried back then, it was the first time that I’ve seen them quarrel because they would always just ignore each other, which makes me sadder.

 

Umma, who actually saw me in my hiding place, pulled me towards her and held me by the shoulders. Appa walked away from the kitchen and went straight to the dining room, pretending that nothing happened at all.

 

“Your father w-won’t understand… but… I just want… to see… Key.”

 

Key?

 

“K-Key? A key? What key?” I asked desperately. I can feel Grandpa’s eyes are slowly shutting off, and his grip is getting weaker. Oh no, this couldn’t be happening.

 

“Key… I m-miss him… so… so… so m-much…”

 

I felt the door opened after a series of knocks but I just ignored it, afraid that if I move, my dear Grandpa will go away.

 

“Onew.” An unfamiliar voice called over behind my back. I was almost afraid to turn around because the way the voice called my grandpa’s pet name was so… serious… and longing.

 

I looked at Grandpa and felt that he stiffened. I held his hands more tightly as I felt the figure behind me move in careful, slow steps.

 

“I-is t-that you? I-is it?” Grandpa forced his eyes to open even though he was failing miserably. But I can definitely say that his aura shifted. I wonder who this person is and what role did he play in my grandpa’s life.

 

“Just as I thought, I’d find you here, Onew.” I felt the voice right beside me now. I had the courage to look up and saw an unfamiliar old man, looking rather triumphant as if he has found something that he’s been looking for all his life.

 

He does know my grandpa’s pet name, so he must be one of grandpa’s school friends. I suddenly saw his eyes land on mine, and just as I have expected, he smiled.

 

“And who is this cute little boy beside you? Your grandchild?”    

 

I remember what my grandpa told me about talking to someone older than me, so I forced myself to stand up and bowed to the man in front of me, even though I looked rather wasted and my tears just won’t stop.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo! I’m Lee Jinki’s only grandchild, my name is Lee Taemin. You must be one of my grandpa’s friends, I suppose?” I nervously asked and then I went back to my seat and held grandpa’s hands again.

 

“K-Key… Key… Y-you’re b-back…you’re back…” Grandpa suddenly found his voice. And although there was an obvious weakness in his voice, I can tell that he obviously waited for this man to arrive.

 

Key? So Key was this old man’s name?

 

The old man just laughed, as if the man lying on the bed wasn’t dying. Seriously, what does he want from my grandpa? Where is his consideration?

 

Instead of talking to my grandpa, the old man faced me. “My name is Kim Jonghyun. I’m a long lost friend of your grandpa.”

 

“J-Jonghyun… Kim Jonghyun… I-is that y-you? Where’s… where is he?” Grandpa tried hard to be understood, and the both of us looked in his direction.

 

“I reckon you wanna see him, so I tried my best to find you, and I succeeded.” A smirk was evident in the man’s eyes and lips. He leaned forward and held my grandpa’s hand and gripped it tightly.

 

“Remember what I told you before we parted ways? I can do it now if you want. Well, you have no other choice, haven’t you? Hahaha.”

 

Grandpa just sighed but what shocked me was a small smile that escaped his lips as he looked into the man’s eyes.

 

“I-I… want… to… see him… Sorry… I thought y-you were… Kibum.”

 

“It’s okay, you were always like that anyway.”

 

I saw my Grandpa Jinki close his eyes and murmured some words which I wasn’t able to understand. The man beside him caressed his hair.

 

“Close your eyes and prepare yourself. We’ll be going away.”

 

“K-Kibum…”

 

“Ssssh, you’ll see him, now close your eyes and trust me, Onew.” The man confidently said and held grandpa’s hands.

 

I was just sitting there in a corner, watching everything. There’s nothing much I can do now. I looked at the man and he seemed harmless, so I guess I could entrust my Grandpa with him anyway. I just hope he’ll be able to make my grandpa’s last wish come true. Whatever that is.

 

I saw my grandpa close his eyes quietly as his friend whispered some words in his ear. I didn’t understand what he was saying and seconds later, he moved farther from grandpa and looked at me, smiling.

 

Grandpa just laid there, eyes closed. A big smile was on his serene yet tired face.

 

I suddenly stood up and panic was on my face so I immediately went near the hospital bed. What did he do with my grandfather? He seemed to read what I was thinking so he tapped my back..

 

“Don’t worry about him. He will be fine.”

 

“Who are you? And what are you doing with him?” I asked, still worried about my grandpa.

 

“Fulfilling his dying wish.”

 

“How did you know what he wanted?”

 

“I just do. I wouldn’t come from a very far away place just to mess with him, you know.”

 

“You sounded like you know my grandpa too well.”

 

“Not really. There’s only one person who knows him better than anyone else, and it’s definitely not me.”

 

I’ve been dying to ask him something, and since I couldn’t get the answer from my grandfather, maybe I could ask him instead.

 

“Ahjussi…”

 

“Yes, Taemin?”

 

 

“Who is Key?”

 

***********

 

23 September 2009

 

Jinki’s POV.

 

The next thing I knew, I was feeling all strong and energized. It seems like I just got a refreshing shower. I was walking along a dark alley towards a very unfamiliar house. Although I know I’ve seen this before, I just can’t remember when, or how.

 

So Jonghyun was really serious about all of this.

 

I was back to being the 20 year old Jinki again.

 

I didn’t know what I was doing until I felt my feet drag me towards a large gate. Where am I exactly? All I remembered was… the need to see him, and I don’t know what happened after.

 

“Saeng-il chukha hamnida! Saeng-il chukha hamnida! Saranghaneun Kimkey-ah! Saeng-il chukha hamnida!”

 

“Happy birthday! Make a wish!”

 

The sound rang in my ears. I took a peek into the house backyard and saw that there was a party. A swarm of people were gathered in the center and clapping their hands. I took a step and walked faster. I looked at the watch that I didn’t realize I was wearing and the date notifier says it’s the 23rd of September. But the problem is, I’m not so sure what year am I in right now.

 

But one thing’s for sure, it was the twin’s birthday today.

 

“Yah! Wait a minute, why are there only greetings for Kibum?! It’s my birthday too you know!” Young Jonghyun’s familiar voice suddenly broke the applauses and cheers and everyone burst into laughter. Jonghyun was such a loud person, but nonetheless everyone liked him.

 

I looked around and a sea of unfamiliar faces welcomed me. Some were just looking at me curiously, and some just didn’t care if I was there or not. I scanned the place, looking for that one person, he should be one of these people.

 

And there he is, and the moment his back profile faced me, my heart started to beat so fast. I’ve waited for a very long time… and the feeling of emptiness suddenly went away as soon as I felt him near me.

 

My feet started to move again. I knew I was just meters away from him. I felt my knees get weaker with every step, but my heart was more than excited to see him.

 

My one and only Kibum.

 

I couldn’t take this feeling anymore so I ran towards him and embraced him from behind. It was the same feeling I had the first time I hugged him. He was such a precious person for me, so I tried hard not to crush him with my embrace.

 

The place turned silent as I felt eyes centered on us. I couldn’t care less, this was the moment I’ve been waiting for.

 

He stiffened but relaxed after a while. I just smiled, cherishing this moment. I hugged him tighter and placed my head over his shoulder.

 

“I missed you so, so much…”

 

“What the hell is this, Kim Jonghyun? How dare you bring your boyfriend here without my permission?” A voice so familiar suddenly yelled behind me. I felt the hairs in my arms stand up as I slowly put my arms down. I looked at the man in front me and I didn’t know where the strength came from but I was able to hold his shoulders and make him turn around to face me.

 

The bad boy smirk that was Kim Jonghyun made my fist clench so hard. So it was him, huh. And again and again and again, I failed.

 

“Nice to see you here, Onew-ah.” He tapped my shoulders, as if we knew each other for a very long time. But as I contemplated about what was actually happening, it’s almost impossible that he knows me at this specific period of time.

 

I just creased my forehead in confusion. If I was in the timeframe that I think I was in, I still haven’t met the both of them at this time.

 

But anyway…

 

 

*****

LOLSUSPENSE.

If you're confused with the story, which I hope isn't the case since it's very hard to explain, feel free to ask. (Nope, contrary to popular belief, I don't bite.)

PS:

Special mention to Liji Gull because it's my Valentine's gift for her (don't ask me who she is, okay.)
I hope you like this one! Please look forward to my uber late updates ♥