Sing it From the Heart

Raise Your Voice

These are the links to the girl's prom dresses

Tiffany’s dress 
Jessica’s dress 
Kim’s dress  

 

Sing it from the heart, Sing it till you're nuts
Sing it out for the ones that'll hate your guts

 

Tiffany goes back to school on Friday. Her locker has been repainted, as has Jessica’s. She glares at a couple of freshmen girls who are watching her and bites back a smirk when they look away guiltily. When she goes to the cafeteria, the entire room falls silent in a matter of seconds. For a moment all Tiffany does is survey the room, all the people who can’t meet her eyes. Now would be the perfect time to make a speech. Tiffany’s head swims with all the things she could say. Rot in hell motherers is a good one.

She feels someone behind her and looks over her shoulder. Kim is behind her, and in the silence her words ring out.

“How is she?”

Tiffany smiles sweetly. “Shaken, but she’s a fighter.”

Kim nods. She squares her shoulders. “Can you give me her phone number? I would like to talk to her in person and apologize for not being there for her when she needed someone.”

There’s no way anyone didn’t hear that, and there’s no way anyone misses Tiffany’s response.

“She would be happy to speak to you. It’s nice to know that at least one person feels truly sorry for what happened.” It’s not a dig at Kim, and she knows it. It’s a dig at every one else in the room.

In all her classes, a few people approach Tiffany and ask her to pass on their apologies to Jessica, but they balk when Tiffany suggests they apologize in person. After all this time are they still afraid, or are they all just that stupid?

By the end of the day, Tiffany is starting to understand why Jessica didn’t want to come back.

She goes home just long enough to change and then she goes right to the Jung’s house. Mrs. Jung greets her with a smile and says that another girl from school is upstairs with Jessica at that moment. Tiffany is struck dumb before she realizes—Kim.

Sure enough when she goes upstairs Kim is sitting on the bed with Jessica. Kim’s eyes are slightly red from tears. When Tiffany comes in she gets to her feet and Tiffany realizes that she’s still in her uniform, she must have come right from school.

“You don’t have to go,” Tiffany says when Kim grabs her bag.

“It’s okay,” Kim tells her. “I can tell you two want to be alone.”

Jessica gets up and hugs her, which seems to take Kim by surprise.

“Thanks for coming,” Jessica says sincerely.

“Anytime,” Kim manages.

Tiffany stares at Jessica in shock when Kim leaves.

“Wow, did she call you during lunch or something?”

“Yep,” Jessica says. She eyes the papers in Tiffany’s hand. “What’s that? More letters?”

“Your homework,” Tiffany corrects.

“Boring!” Jessica whines. “You wore a high collar shirt this time, I plan to make good use of it.” She tackles Tiffany to the bed.

“Hey!” Tiffany protests, easily flipping her onto her back. “My turn, remember?”

 

On Monday Kim snaps Tiffany out of a daydream with one question.

“Are you going to prom?”

Tiffany stares at her in shock. Prom? Who could think about prom at a time like this?!

“Are we still having prom?” She asks.

Kim nods. “Yeah, the Principal said so. It’s in five weeks. Did you get a dress?”

Tiffany opens and closes a few times.

“I’ll take that as a no,” Kim sighs. “Well since I know you won’t have one, you can rent a limo with me and my date. My group kicked me out after I suggested we invite Jessica along.”

Tiffany instantly sees red.

“It was before all this,” Kim says, waving her hand. “Now of course they want her to come. I told them hell no, they blew it.”

Tiffany deflates. “I don’t think she’ll come anyway. She doesn’t even want to go to graduation.”

Kim stares at her wide eyed. “She has to come to Prom! She’ll only get one shot at this!”

Tiffany looks up quizzically. “At what?”

Kim waves her hands. “You know, at Prom!”

Tiffany sighs. “I’ll talk to her about it.”

 

Tiffany doesn’t bring it up until Thursday, when Jessica comes over to her house for a few hours. Her father is still at work, and they’re lying on Tiffany’s bed half watching My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. Jessica’s head is pillowed on Tiffany’s chest, and Tiffany combs her fingers through Jessica’s hair, occasionally leaning down to kiss her forehead.

“Are you going to go back to school?” Tiffany asks during a lull in the action on TV.

“I don’t know,” Jessica sighs, folding her hands on her stomach. “Why should I?”

Tiffany swallows and she’s sure that Jessica can hear her heart start to pound. “If you don’t, then I can’t take you to Prom with me.”

Jessica stiffens. She sits up slowly and stares down at Tiffany. “Come again?”

Tiffany takes a deep breath and pushes herself up. “I want you to be my date to Prom,” she says. “But I can’t take you if you don’t go to our school. It’s very selfish of me to ask you for this but…you said before that you didn’t need anyone to share the sad things with you. Maybe if you let me share them, we can get through this together.”

Tiffany cradles Jessica’s face in her hands as Jessica stares at her, seemingly torn between incredulity and tears. “Jess, I really, really like you. I might even love you. I really want to share this with you. I want to dance with you, I want us to come back to my house and go to sleep giggling and I want to be able to kiss you and say thanks for the night, beautiful. We’ll only get one chance at this, and I want it to be with you.”

Jessica starts to cry and she throws her arms around Tiffany’s neck. “Okay,” she sobs.

“What?” Tiffany asks, not sure she heard right.

“Okay, I’ll do it. I’ll go back, I’ll let you in, I’ll go to prom with you,” Jessica laughs. Then she starts to cry again. “Oh my god, I got asked to prom!”

She pulls back and sobs into her hands.

“Are you alright?” Tiffany asks nervously.

Jessica nods. “Tiffany…you don’t even know how often I dreamed about this,” she hiccups. “I thought I’d never get to go…after all of this, I thought…never in a million years!”

Tiffany’s heart breaks for her, because this is something Jessica should have been entitled to. This is a night she should have expected to enjoy, not pray to be allowed to attend. She shouldn’t have been afraid to hope for this.

Tiffany wraps her arms around Jessica’s shoulders and hugs her. “It’s okay,” she breathes. “It’s okay baby.”

Jessica shivers in her arms and picks her head up. She’s flushed and her eyes are glistening. “Baby?” She echoes.

“Do you not like it?” Tiffany asks.

“I was going to call you baby,” Jessica mumbles, blushing.

“You can call me that anyway,” Tiffany laughs. “It’s not like only one of us can use it.”

Jessica smiles and wipes her eyes. “I’d like it if you could use it more often,” she says shyly.

Tiffany kisses her cheek, her nose, her lips. “Whatever you say, baby.”

 

Jessica decides to wait until Monday to go back. She needs to prepare mentally, and everyone accepts that. Jessica relays to Tiffany that the Principal called her and said he was pleased to hear she’d be coming back, they were all looking forward to seeing her, so on and so on.

Then on Sunday they get a call from the police. They know who tagged the lockers and planted the stuff in Jessica’s locker. He’s a senior, he confessed everything and said he acted alone. Tiffany’s dad drives her to the Jung household and Tiffany flies into Jessica’s room. She’s sitting calmly on the floor of her room, thumbing through her year book, her cat curled up next to her.

“I knew him,” she says calmly before Tiffany can open . “I had a crush on him when I was eight.”

Tiffany shuts the door behind her and sits down on the floor next to Jessica. The carpet is really soft, almost like a blanket. Jessica’s still in her pajamas—grey shorts and that same black tank top she wore to Tiffany’s house. Her hair is pulled into pigtails, slightly curly at the end from sleep. Tiffany rubs her hand up and down Jessica’s arm and kisses her shoulder.

“What are you going to do?” She whispers.

Jessica closes the book and puts it aside. “I won’t press charges,” she says calmly, folding her hands in her lap. “I know firsthand what crime can do to you,” she says, her voice breaking. She takes a breath to steady herself. “The Principal said that no matter what, he’ll be expelled. He’ll have to go to the public school. I think that’s punishment enough for him.”

Tiffany swears softly. “You’re much more forgiving than I would be.”

Jessica smiles softly. “No,” she whispers. “I’m really not.” She turns her head to Tiffany. “I don’t want to deal with the court. I did that once. It’s awful to tell strangers about what happened to you. Lay yourself bare, all the world to see. So much worse than anything people say behind your back.” Jessica closes her eyes. “I don’t want to repeat it.”

Tiffany nods. “It’s understandable.”

“Is it?” Jessica whispers. “Was it worth it?”

Tiffany narrows her eyes. “Was what worth it?”

Jessica bites her lip and looks down. “What if…I did kill her?” She mutters. “Would you want to be around me?”

Tiffany blinks, swallows the bile in . “Yes.”

“Even if I was a killer?” Jessica presses. “You’d want me anyway?”

“Jess,” Tiffany says calmly. “What did she do to you?”

Jessica gasps. “What do you mean?”

Tiffany doesn’t even blink. “The only way you could get away with something like that is if it wasn’t intentional. It was self-defense, wasn’t it? You did push her, but only because she pushed you first.”

Jessica bows her head and holds a hand to . “I didn’t want her to hurt me anymore,” She sobs. “That’s all I wanted, that’s it…”

Tiffany wraps her arms around Jessica and holds her. “I believe you baby,” she says. “I know you didn’t mean it.”

Jessica leans up and kisses her, hard and desperate. Tiffany gasps and Jessica’s tongue darts into .

“I love you,” Jessica whispers fervently. “I really do, Tiffany.”

Tiffany closes her eyes and clutches Jessica tighter, somehow they over balance and Tiffany falls back, sending the cat running away hissing. Jessica ignores the commotion flips around so that Tiffany is lying on top of her.

“I don’t mean to make you uncomfortable,” Jessica says breathlessly. “I just…I needed to say it. Nobody’s ever cared about me the way you do, and I haven’t known you for long but this just feels so right to me, maybe that’s weird but—”

“It’s not,” Tiffany promises. She kisses Jessica’s neck, tongues her collarbones, bites down on her shoulder to hear her gasp.

“I love you too,” Tiffany whispers. She says it over and over, between kisses and soft bites. At one point Jessica pushes herself up and tugs her tank top up over her head. She has a belly piercing. Tiffany swallows and Jessica grins at her.

“Don’t tell my parents,” she pants, gesturing toward the piercing.

Tiffany laughs. “Yeah, that’s a conversation I want to have right now.”

She takes Jessica’s hand and pulls her to the bed, playfully pushing her down and crawling over her. Tiffany kisses Jessica’s stomach and curls her tongue around the barbell, feeling Jessica tremble under her. She tugs at it gently with her teeth and Jessica moans.

“Quiet,” Tiffany whispers. “You’ll bring your parents up.”

Jessica glares at her and Tiffany laughs. She scoots down even further and leaves hickeys on Jessica’s thighs, only pulling back when Jessica pleads for her to kiss her again. Tiffany obliges, lets Jessica take the lead this time.

By the time Tiffany is called to leave, she has a nice red mark just under her collarbone. She wonders if her uniform shirt will cover it, and then decides that she doesn’t care.

On Monday they go to school together, walking in hand in hand. Jessica is shaking, but Tiffany squeezes her hand and flashes her a smile, turning her head so that the red mark on her neck is just visible under her collar. Jessica relaxes and grins back. They are on cloud nine. They are unstoppable.

Kim sits with them at lunch since her AP class has finished and she has the period free now. She drags a chair loudly across the floor and plops down right between the two of them.

“So, are you coming to Prom?” She asks cheerfully.

Jessica grins. “Are you kidding? I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

 

It’s almost a nightmare trying to find dresses last minute, but they manage. They take a week to track down shoes and jewelry, and Tiffany goes to town with makeup, nail polish and rhinestones. Prom day dawns bright and sunny, and Jessica drags herself to Tiffany’s house early so they can do each other’s hair, nails and makeup. Tiffany gives Jessica’s hair a slight curl and styles it to fall down her back. Her bangs are held back with a sparkling headband. Jessica leaves Tiffany’s hair straight, but pins it back with pink pins. They paint each other nails and Tiffany uses eyelash glue to stick crystals on her eyelids and Jessica’s cheek.

Jessica gets taken home to get dressed, since her parents want pictures. Tiffany slips into her own dress-a pink mermaid style gown with crystals highlighting her curves. Her accessories are simple—a pair of drop-earrings and her mother’s pearl necklace. When she comes downstairs her father nearly cries.

“Oh, daddy!” Tiffany yelps, covering her eyes. “Don’t, I’ll cry too!”

“Sorry Princess,” he says gruffly. “You just…you look so beautiful.”

Tiffany’s jaw nearly drops when she sees Jessica though. Jessica wanted some pictures taken at Tiffany’s house, and the limo is picking them up there so Jessica gets driven back to Tiffany’s house. Tiffany watches her get out of her parents SUV and wonders if perhaps her girlfriend isn’t pushing the boundaries of decency a little bit, not to say that she particularly minds. Her dress has a sweetheart neckline, and the bodice is covered in rhinestones. The skirt is all ruffles, accented with a little bow, and falls a good few inches above her knee, showing off her legs.

“Hey there, you,” Tiffany calls, hoping nobody can tell that she’s drooling a little.

They take pictures on Tiffany’s front steps until the limo arrives and Kim steps out.

“Oh my god!” Kim squeals, running up to them. “You look so pretty, both of you!”

“You too missy!” Tiffany gushes, making Kim spin for them. Her dress looks like something a fairy would wear, just as short as Jessica’s but not as frilly. There’s a pretty flower design at her waist, matching the corsage on her wrist.

The three of them pose for pictures and eventually pull Kim’s date, Josh, into the picture as well. He’s a nice boy from a different school, and Kim says they’ve known each other for years.

The Prom venue is right on the edge of the city, surrounded by a beautiful garden with a pond. Jessica, Tiffany, Kim and Josh wander around for a while before going inside. They greet all the teachers, wave to their classmates and wonder about who will be voted Prom Queen and King. Kim is in the running for Queen, and Tiffany has no doubt she’ll win.

There’s a tradition at their school where the King and Queen get to pick a Prince and Princess. The King picks the Prince, the Queen picks the Princess.

“Oye vey,” Kim sighs, rubbing her temples. “All these es up to me, wanting to be Princess. I can’t wait to get it over with.”

“Who’d you pick?” Tiffany asks.

Kim winks. “You’ll know if I win.”

Then the music starts and they all leap up. There’s three rooms with three different DJs, and for a while the four of them stay in the room that their table is in, but eventually they wander around and when they find out the room downstairs is playing the Cha-cha Slide, they have to stay.

After an hour it’s time to eat, and then they go back to dancing. At 9:30, everyone is called to the main  hall for the King and Queen announcement.

The Principal is handed a microphone. Tiffany and Jessica stand near a doorway, watching Kim bite her nails and fidget.

“Why’s she so nervous?” Jessica wonders.

Tiffany laces their fingers together and leans her head on Jessica’s shoulder. “Maybe she’s afraid she’ll trip.”

“The King,” The Principal calls. “Logan Davis!”

Tiffany grins. She actually likes Logan, he’s a sweet guy. He accepts the crown to cheers from the students.

“And the Queen…”

Tiffany grips Jessica’s hand.

“Kimberly Mitchel!”

Tiffany screams and jumps up and down, clapping excitedly. After the crowd calms down, Logan names the Prince—Jason, a basketball player who broke his leg two weeks ago and hobbles up on crutches. Then Kim steps up to the mic and clears .

“Hi everyone,” she says, her voice shaking. “Um…wow, okay. First of all, thank you to everyone who voted for me.” She takes a deep breath, her eyes searching the crowd. They lock onto Tiffany, and Kim straightens up.

“I picked your Princess,” she says firmly, “After a lot of careful thought. It was an easy decision to make really, but I had a lot to take into consideration.”

Tiffany freezes and her jaw drops. She knows, in that moment, exactly what is about to happen.

“I think you’ll all agree that she deserves this,” Kim says. “So, I would now like to present your Princess, Jessica Jung.”

There is utter silence. Jessica seems frozen in shock, her eyes wide. Tiffany release her hand and nudges her, and Jessica walks through the crowd and up to the microphone. Kim holds out her hand and Jessica takes it, allows herself to be helped up on the little platform. Tiffany sees that Jessica is absolutely beaming, her eyes shining with tears, and that’s all it takes for Tiffany to start crying.

She cups her hands around . “I love you, Jessica!” She hollers. The entire room jumps and turns around. Tiffany is jumping up and down and cheering through her tears. “You go girl!” With that, every student there starts to clap and cheer.

Jessica starts to cry as well as Kim places the crown on her head. Once it’s secure, Jessica turns and gives Kim a hug, and Tiffany can see her mouthing the words “Thank you” over and over again. Finally she releases Kim and steps down, rushing through the crowd until she gets to Tiffany and flings herself into her arms.

To the rest of the school, that ‘I love you’ was nothing more than what all girls say to their best friends. But the two of them know better. That was for real. Under the guise of a hug, Jessica places a light kiss on Tiffany’s cheek.

“I love you too.”

After that it’s the slow dance, and Kim sends Josh over dance with Jessica while she has her dance with the Prom King. Eventually the whole floor is full of couples, at which point Tiffany tells Josh to go get Kim back from Logan and dances with Jessica herself.

Tiffany straightens Jessica’s crown and grins at her. “Are you happy you came to Prom?”

Jessica’s smile looks like it could light up the world. “I’m happy I came with you. You make it a thousand times better.”

They get a few curious looks even though a lot of girls are dancing together, and Tiffany wonders if they know she and Jessica are together. Not that she cares, they’re graduating in a week anyway. She wants nothing more than to kiss Jessica, but there’s no kissing allowed at Prom, not from anyone. Spoil-sport teachers.

Much, much later that night the pair of them collapse in Tiffany’s bed, makeup mostly washed off and dressed in their most comfortable pajamas. They kiss goodnight and hold hands as they drift off to sleep, or at least Jessica does. Tiffany stays awake and thinks about how her life managed to change so completely in only five months. And to think that she wanted to stay in Miami of all places!

The next afternoon when they finally wake up, Tiffany goes downstairs first and hugs her dad. “Thanks for moving us here,” she says happily. “It was the best decision ever.”

 

 

Next part will be the epilogue! Thanks for reading and commenting guys, I love hearing from you!