Chapter 2

"I will be at the T.O.P." - Choi Seunghyun

 

CHAPTER 2

 

            Stirring awake, Bom woke up earlier than usual. She had been patiently waiting for this day to come and now that it had finally arrived, she can’t contain the happiness overflowing inside of her. She feels like a prisoner given a parole after years of being imprisoned for a crime she did not make.  She had been preparing for her temporary departure from this hellhole her father calls home for weeks and a concrete proof of her excitement were her luggage which she prepared two days after her teacher chose her as an exchange student and that was a good two weeks ago. Her excitement was eating her alive. She spent the last two weeks reading about Japan and learning Japanese. She even asked her mother to teach her a few of the Japanese dishes she knew.

            Not wanting to wait a little longer, she got up from bed, dressed up and readied herself. The smile in her face could not be erased even while she was combing her hair in front of her room’s mirror. But suddenly, her tranquility was interrupted by a loud thud, falling glasses, and banging outside her room’s door followed by a painful shriek from her mother. Bom immediately rushed out of her room and saw her mother sprawled on the floor with a once cup of coffee now turned into shattered glass around her.

“Nam Jung, please stop it.” Mrs. Park cried while rubbing her swollen cheeks. “I’ll just make another one for you.” She pleaded with tears running along her cheeks. “NO NEED!” he growled angrily. “You’ve ruined my appetite this early in the morning! You useless piece of trash!” Nam Jung gestured to slap her face again but halted. “Appa stop it!” Bom shouted kneeling down to protect her mother who already closed her eyes anticipating the blow that her husband will give her. Nam Jung looked at his daughter then his wife and heaved a heavy sigh. “Aish! Useless people!” he raked his hair annoyingly and left not without kicking the stool near the dining table and closing the front door with a loud bang.

            After ensuring that the devil was nowhere in sight, Bom turned to look at her mother who was crying and panting out of fear. “Umma are you alright?” she asked in a concerned tone. “D-on’t w-o-rry ab-out m-e.” her poor mother replied in an obvious trembling tone. Years of pain and abuse didn’t seem to immunize her mother and would still tremble at the sight of his husband’s rage and every time she sees this, her heart just shatters into pieces. Her loving mother deserves so much better than this. That’s when she decided that she’ll be the stronger one not only for herself but mostly for her fragile mother.  She often wonders how she managed to endure living under the same roof as him all these years. She asked her once while tending her wounds after a typical day of ‘beating’ why she couldn’t leave her abusive father, her mother answered, “Your father needs us Bommie.” Until know she couldn’t help but to disagree with her mother’s statement especially whenever her father calls them ‘useless’ or a ‘burden’.

            After giving her mother a glass of water and letting her cries subside, Bom stated, “Umma you know I’ll be leaving for Japan today but I don’t think I can leave judging from what happened. I can’t bear leaving you alone here.” She admits that it breaks her heart to give up her Japan trip but it will break her even more if she leaves her mother in this state. “NO!” Mrs. Park declared. She’s not going to let this happen. She knows that her daughter longs for this trip and she’s had enough of being a burden to her. “You wanted this so bad Bommie and if you’re worried about me, please don’t worry. I can manage by myself.” Her mother pleaded. “But mom I can’t le-” she was about to reason but was cut midway by her mother. “I said go! I don’t want to get in your way and I will just feel sad about myself if you don’t go because of me.” Her mother held her hand and even with a bruised cheek and a few cuts on her leg, she forced a smile for her daughter assuring her that she’ll be fine. Bom moved closer to embrace her mother, careful not to touch the cuts.“Are you sure mom?” she whispered and sighed as she felt her mother’s head nodding.

            “I think you should go now Bommie. I don’t want you to run late on your flight.” her mother ordered as soon as they broke the hug. With hesitant steps, Bom collected her luggage and reached for the door but stopped before she could open it. “Umma, promise me you’ll call me when something wrong happens.” Bom reminded her mother. Wiping the pooling tears at the end of her eyes, her mother nodded and beamed a smile. “Go on Bommie. Have a nice trip and don’t forget to take care of yourself.” Bom looked at her mother. ‘I’ll get you out of here umma. I promise.’ she vowed to herself as she looked at her mother. “Bye Umma.” Mrs. Park waved at her daughter and soon as Bom closed the door, she swears she heard more sobbing and if it wasn’t because of her promise to her mom and to herself, she might’ve rushed back and never leave but she steeled her heart and wiped her tears away, ‘You’re doing this for your mom Bom. You need to be strong for her.’

 

 

 

“Oppa you cheated!” Yuri whined while hitting her older brother’s, Jiyong, left arm. “I did not! You just can’t admit that you lost!” Jiyong teased and moved closer to her to ruffle her hair ignoring her motto, “Touch everything but NEVER touch my hair”.  It has been Kwon Yuri’s ultimate rule and even her own parents can’t do anything about it as it will always cause chaos in the house.

“YAAAHHH!” she shouted childishly and rushed to a nearby mirror to fix her hair while panicking. They were currently at the living room playing PS3. It was one of those rare moments where the siblings are not wrestling with one another. But it seems the rare moment would soon vanish judging from the look on Yuri’s face. She was definitely pissed at her brother for ruffling her precious hair and she can’t seem to let the matter go. “Wait until I get you Oppa!” she screamed before charging herself towards her brother. The older of the two started running for his life maintaining a 3 meter radius from the raging Yuri. The chaotic scene ensued until another figure stepped inside the living room.

“KWON JIYONG AND KWON YURI WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Kwon Boa screamed at the top of her lungs and instantly Yuri, who was now on top of her brother sprawled on the floor, let go of the older one’s hair while Jiyong stared nervously towards their mother stopping his cries of pain. Both of them were obviously surprised to see their mother. Not that she wasn’t welcome in this house, but it’s just that it is very rare for Kwon Boa to be at home that it surprises her children whenever she did.

 Boa moved closer to the duo and glared at them who seemed too shock of her presence.  “Umma.” Jiyong finally blurted out and instantly, both of them were on their feet trying to steady their selves as their mother eyes them.“What did I say about wrestling in the living room huh Jiyong and Yuri?” Boa asked glancing at both of them. “Aren’t you both ashamed of what your both doing?” Boa said giving her son and daughter a murderous glare. “You are both considered adults already and here you are in the living room strangling each other? When will you ever grow up?” she continued to scold them.  

Yuri took a secretive glance at her brother asking him for help. Jiyong knows this situation too well and has now become used to it. 17 years of living under the Kwon’s mansion made him immune to this kind of situation and being a brother to a prankster and mischievous girl like his sister, he had no choice but to get used to it. It was always his responsibility to stand up for the both of them whenever they were caught in the act of fooling and messing around.

“It’s my fault Umma I’m sorry.” he said with a sigh. “Yes we’re sorry Umma. Well never do it again.” Yuri backed him up. She wouldn’t let her Oppa take all the blame.

“Alright, I’ll let you off this time since I’m tired but the next time I caught you two strangled on the floor, you’ll both be grounded understand?” she threatened them. “Yes Umma.” Jiyong and Yuri chorused with their head bent low. They didn’t even notice their mother leaving them behind.

Yuri glanced at her brother as if she had just been pulled out from the water after minutes of being under it. Jiyong had seen this look in her everytime they come face to face with their mother.

He reached out his hand for her to take and immediately, he enveloped her in a brotherly embrace. Yuri closed her eyes to savor the warmth of her brother as if it was the only safe place in the world. The only place where she can be whoever she wants to be. And the only place where she can feel love. She snuggled closer as he tightened the hug and whispered directly to her ear, “Don’t be afraid Yuri-ah, I’m here for you.” before he kissed the top of her head.

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi everyone!

I’m so sorry for the super duper late update. Classes had just ended for me so this is the only time where I can update. To my subbies thanks for subscribing. I hope you enjoy this chapter I give.

Well as you can see  gave emphasis to the lives of both Yuri and Bom. How they both have a miserable life even though Yuri is born rich while Bom is unfortunately poor. And you can also notice that they both have their pillar of support. Jiyong for Yuri and Bom’s mother for Bom. I just want to show you all that they both deserve TOP/Seunghyun’s protection but it’s actually upto Seunghyun/TOP to decide who he’ll choose.

Please feel free to comment.. Love love love!