"You'll dance to anything."

Hurricane [Oneshot]

 

            “Hold the door!”

            Kibum didn’t particularly jump at the chance to save the two teenage girls from having to catch another elevator. But the man with the briefcase in front of him did, holding the metal doors back as the girls rushed inside, panting heavily. Kibum stuck close to the corner, hoping his hoodie and dark, studded glasses would keep him hidden. It seemed to be working, as the girls were too busy laughing at each other’s hair.

            That is, until his cell phone rang.

            The two girls looked over, and Kibum braced himself for the inevitable screaming. But it never came. They remained quiet as the ringtone kept playing.

            “Isn’t that SHINee’s Key?” one of the girls finally whispered to the other. “The one that’s been in the news a lot lately?”

            “I think so,” the other girl answered just as quietly. “It’s really such a shame what they say about him, questioning his uality and calling him a nagging umma and all that. But honestly, I think it’s his own fault! The way he dresses and acts…he should be more careful.”

            As if I can’t hear you! Kibum wanted to scream at them as he rolled his eyes. He tuned out their blabbing until the bell dinged and the doors slid open. He hurried out, not even caring he was on the wrong floor. He just wanted to get as far away as he could from those brats.

            “People these days,” Kibum muttered as he stormed down the hall, pulling his phone from his pocket. His missed call was from the manager, and in hopes to avoid another elevator crisis, he decided to take the stairs.

~

            Talk to me. Talk to me. Talk to me.

            Kibum watched as Jonghyun descended the stairs in a t-shirt and pajama pants, headed towards the kitchen. Jonghyun didn’t even glance at the blonde boy as he walked in and opened the door to the fridge, peering in.

            Talk to him. Talk to him. Talk to him. You’re the only two in the dorm. Just talk to him!

            Kibum was really sweating as he crossed his legs on the couch. This was going to happen. Kibum was going to talk to him. There was no more being scared.

            “Hey, Jonghyun hyung?”

            Jonghyun screeched, slamming the refrigerator door and falling to the floor. He stood up after a moment and laughed. “I didn’t even know you were here, Kibum! You scared me to death!” The older boy continued laughing at himself as he rounded the corner and stood before Kibum. “What’s up?”

            What’s up? Kibum mentally scoffed. Well, let me tell you. While we’re in public, whether it be on stage or in an interview or just out somewhere, you act just like we’re a couple. You hold my hand, you kiss my cheek, you just…act so sweet and kind. But when we are at the dorm, you hardly even acknowledge me unless you want something from me. So I’m confused as to if you’re just doing fanservice or if we’re in some sort of relationship you want to keep secret from the other members because I really like you and I need to know if you like me too because I’m dying here!

“Kibum?” Jonghyun prompted, waving his hand in front of the other’s face. “Earth to Key! Ha! You were saying?”

            Kibum took a deep breath, mentally and emotionally preparing himself. Come on. You just came up with what to say. Now you just need to make your mouth move!

            “I was…I was just wondering if…do you…do we…um..do we have a schedule next Friday?”

            Jonghyun only blinked before breaking down into more laughter. “Gee, I don’t know. Isn’t it you that keeps up with those things? Ha! But why are you asking, huh? Do you want to go on a date or something?”

            Kibum’s mouth fell open a little, but he still couldn’t find the words to say.

            “Nah, of course not,” Jonghyun answered for him, still chuckling. “I’m sure you have a beautiful girlfriend somewhere. Or boyfriend. Doesn’t matter!”

            Jonghyun then ruffled the younger’s hair. “Silly Kibummie,” he sang before leaving the room.

            “Damnit,” Kibum mumbled under his breath as he lay back on the couch. “Did it again.”

~

            The old sanctuary smelled like polished wood, yellowing books, and moth balls. Kibum walked among the pews until he found the one his mother would drag him to every Sunday of his childhood. He sat down, the pew creaking under even a little weight, and leaned forward to place his clasped hands on the pew in front of him. Bowing his head, he prayed:

            “Dear Father,” his voice seemed to be swallowed in the broad, empty room. “I know I don’t come to talk to you very often. But my mother always told me that I needed to confess my sins when I commit them, so…I have quite a list, but I’m just going to hit the highlights.”

            Kibum took a deep breath and then spoke quickly. “I want to apologize for the time I purposely hit Jonghyun in the face when he back-sassed me in the dance practice. The time I got mad at Jinki hyung and deprived him of dinner. But then I felt bad and went out to buy him food, but when I came home, he was asleep, so I poured the bucket of chicken down his pants. The time I went out drinking with Dongho when I had promised to take Taemin to the movies. The time I used Minho’s credit card to buy a bunch of new shoes. But they were so cool, and I really couldn’t help it! The time I stole Heechul’s jacket from his dressing room, even though it totally worked with my figure better than his. And the time I—“ Kibum took another deep breath, biting his lip. “The time I cussed JoKwon for wearing way too much makeup when dressing in drag. I mean, come on! Your eyes are slanted enough, now I can’t even see them! And when he was presenting his outfit? That’s not a purse, that is Gucci. I mean, damn, . How ing stupid can you get? Ugh. Lord, help my cussing problem. I’m sick of all this ing cussing. Damn.

            “Anyway,” Kibum cleared his throat, wringing his hands. “Lord, I also want to ask for the strength to ask Jonghyun out. I know, I know, people tell me that’s a sin in itself. But I know that’s bull—I mean…wrong…because why would You make me like this if it was? Wait…don’t even answer that.

            “Please keep SHINee safe and healthy this year and help us to win lots of awards. Thanks again for making me so ing fabulous. In Your Son’s holy Name I pray, Amen.”

~

           “And now for our special guest, the biggest diva in all of KPop…SHINee’s Key!”

            Kibum scoffed. “Diva.” He stepped out onto the stage, putting on a big smile and waving at the crowd. The cheesy variety show music rang in his ears as he bowed and stood next to the beaming MCs.

            The MCs and Kibum went back and forth with opening conversation and scripted banter. But then the MCs moved onto the questions that Kibum could have sworn he answered in a million interviews beforehand.

            “Who do you think is the loudest member? The messiest?”

            “Minho’s the loudest, definitely. You should hear that boy playing video games. You’d think he was giving orders in the military. And the messiest has to be a tie between Jonghyun and Taemin. They are ALWAYS leaving their stuff all over the dorm. And who has to clean it up? Me!”

            “Which member do you consider your ideal type?”

            “Jonghyun,” Kibum blurted out almost automatically, causing the audience and the MCs to stir. He blushed before continuing. “I mean, I don’t know. I really don’t think I would consider any of the members my ideal type. I live with all the time, so they’re kinda like my brothers.”

            “Really? Then why did you answer with Jonghyun so quickly?” the MC pointed out with a smirk. As the audience rolled in laughter over this, Kibum shot the MC a look that forced him to move on to the next question.

            “Have you learned any new dances lately?”

            Kibum was a little taken aback by the question. What the hell was that supposed to mean? He thought for a moment before shakily answering, “You mean, like…for other groups? Lately I’ve been really into Miss A. I learned ‘I Don’t Need a Man’ in like…an hour.”

            The MCs seemed impressed. “Really? Could you show us?”

            Kibum stood up and rolled his eyes. Of course he could! He would show all these people what he was made of. He didn’t hesitate as the music began to play; he only effortlessly popped his body this way and that, his moves flowing more than the original dancers. A cocky smile crossed his face as he heard the MCs exclaim in amazement and the crowd erupt in cheers. He finished his dance with a broad hairflip and a flaunted stance. The whole room was in awe.

            “Kim Kibum really is amazing!” one of the MCs shouting, applauding as Kibum beamed before the audience. “He will really dance to anything!”

            Suddenly, Kibum’s face dropped as he thought about those words. He’ll dance to anything? Is that really what his sole purpose was? Just to get up and dance for people’s enjoyment? Like a monkey riding a unicycle in the circus? He suddenly wasn’t feeling very confident about himself anymore. And for the rest of the show, he couldn’t shake that thought from his mind.

~

            The thought haunted his mind even after he had returned to the dorm that night. He sat in the dark kitchen, staring at his now-cold bowl of ramen. He heard the light switch click in the hallway and quickly looked up.

            “Kibum?” a voice called out as that familiar figure appeared in the dim shadows. “Why are you still up?”

            Kibum didn’t say anything. He stayed with his eyes fixated on the spot where he thought Jonghyun’s face.

            “Kibum?” There was a shuffling noise as the other boy came closer. The bowl on the table moved a little before Kibum felt a hand on his wrist. “Key…come on. Get up.”

            And then Kibum was being dragged down the hallway and into Jonghyun’s room. Jonghyun threw all of his things laying on the bed to the floor and pulled Kibum to sit upon it while Jonghyun stood before him.

            “Where…where is Minho?” Kibum inquired of the older’s roommate, his body trembling.

            “He’s in your room with Taemin,” Jonghyun answered softly. “But that’s another thing entirely. Right now I’m more concerned with what’s wrong with you.”

            Kibum couldn’t hold it back anymore. Tears began to stream down his face, but Jonghyun didn’t move. He only crossed his arms and bit his lip, causing Kibum to cry harder.

            “What am I?” the blonde boy asked, covering his face in shame.

            “You’re a human,” Jonghyun answered immediately, grabbing Kibum’s hands and wrenching them away from his face. “You are Kim Kibum. You have extreme talent. You could dance anybody under the table. You have a lovely singing voice and pretty dope rapping skills, yo! Your fashion starts worldwide trends, and you’ve become a role model for rebels of society. And there are many, MANY people who love you.”

            “But what do they love me for?” Kibum yelled hysterically, squeezing Jonghyun’s hands. “Do they understand that I’m a human, or do they just see my talent as entertainment?”

            The older boy was silent, thinking over his response. As Kibum began to sob again, Jonghyun sat down on the bed and pulled the younger into his arms. Kibum gasped silently, his heartbeat becoming wild.

            “Since when do you dwell on other’s opinions? You’ve always been so adamant about speaking your mind and being your own person. Why now are you crashing down from the thoughts of another?”

            Kibum bit his lip, burying himself further into Jonghyun’s chest. “It wasn’t said, it was implied…I drew the conclusion on my own.”

            Jonghyun chuckled as he pulled back and rubbed the younger’s cheeks with his thumbs. “Babe, you can’t be doing that. You have to forget what people say or might say. You have to just keep your head up and forget them. Isn’t that what you’ve always told me?”

            Kibum sniffled and nodded, wishing his heart would beat a little more quietly. That wish was denied when Jonghyun smiled brightly and pecked the other’s nose. “You are perfect, Key. Don’t let anyone make you think any different, okay?”

            The blonde boy nodded again before being wracked with exhausted sobs once again. Jonghyun held him close again, rocking him as if he were a child, until Kibum fell asleep.

            “You’re a hurricane,” Jonghyun whispered just as Kibum faded from consciousness. “Be a hurricane.”

~

            “Be a hurricane.”

            That was the first thought ringing inside Kibum’s head when he woke up. He was in Jonghyun’s bed, however the owner was not present. The sheets were still heavy with his scent, though, causing Kibum to smile brightly as he curled up into them.

            But then the door burst open, startling him. “KIBUM!” The blonde sat straight up to see Jonghyun standing in the doorway. “What are you being so lazy for? Get up! And make me breakfast!”

            Kibum huffed, annoyed that Jonghyun was back to his old, whiny self. But then Jonghyun’s face changed, and he winked at the younger. “Be a hurricane, babe,” he cooed softly before shutting the door.

            As Kibum got up and changed for the day, he thought about that. Be a hurricane? He’s a hurricane? What exactly did that mean? From what he had heard, hurricanes were a lot like typhoons and seemed to be dangerous and devastating. They left people homeless and took family members away and caused a lot of debt. Why in the world would he want to be a hurricane? His train of thought as he reached the bottom of the stairs and met three pairs of accusing eyes. Jinki stood at the stove, a boiling pot in front of him and a wooden spoon in his hand. His eyes were shining and fixed upon Kibum. Taemin and Minho looked over from the couch as well. Kibum narrowed his eyes.

            “You guys act like you’ve never seen me before,” he scoffed, waving them off and beginning to clear the table.

            “But did you and Jonghyun hyung ha—mumphumnphump!” Taemin crossed his arms and pouted as Minho covered the younger’s mouth. The taller then looked back at Kibum.

            “Taemin was just concerned that you weren’t in your room last night,” Minho stated with a nod.

            Kibum scoffed again. “Maybe because someone was already in my bed,” he looked pointedly at a red-faced Minho as he walked off to the kitchen and met Jinki’s eyes.

            “Well, good morning,” Jinki said dryly. “How did last night go?”

            “Why is everyone questioning me about that? Like seriously, is it anyone’s business?” Kibum growled, snatching the spoon from Jinki’s hand and stirring the pot.

            Jinki watched him, his eyes soft and concerned. “I was just wondering. We all heard you crying.”

            Kibum stopped, his eyes widening. They had heard him crying? No, no, no. They weren’t supposed to hear him crying. They weren’t even supposed to know he was crying. Kim Kibum did NOT cry. He bit his lip, continuing to stir the pot without turning around.

            “I just wanted to make sure you were okay, Key…sorry for bothering you,” Jinki said softly, hurt in his voice as he turned around and went to sit at the table. Kibum instantly felt guilty, but he continued to cook without a word.

            Jonghyun was full-on complaining by the time Kibum got the morning kimchi stew into bowls and began passing them around the table. It was too hot. It had taken too long to be made. It was cold in the dorm. Why didn’t they have any more chili sauce? Wasn’t it Kibum’s job to go to the store? The manager wasn’t coming fast enough. Why wouldn’t Kibum call the man—

            “Why can’t you do something for yourself?” Kibum asked, furious. He finished his soup quickly before leaving his empty bowl on the table and hurrying to his room. He didn’t understand why he was so upset. There was just too many thoughts…too many feelings. And he wasn’t sure how to handle them all.

~

            The little bell on the top of the door rang, causing the middle-aged man behind the counter to look up from his magazine. “Oh, hello, sir! What can I do for you today?”

            Kibum tapped his bottom lip, a little embarrassed. “Umm…I think I need some medicine.”

            The man chuckled. “Of course. Why else would you come to a pharmacy?” He took a thoughtful sip from his lukewarm tea. “What kind of medicine are you looking for? What seems to be your problem?”

            “I’m not sure,” Kibum sighed, adjusting his clothing. “I’m not really feeling sick. Physically, that is. But I feel…emotionally sick, I guess. I have so many emotions at the same time. And they don’t make any sense together. My thoughts are so loud and vivid that I can’t sleep or focus on my daily activities. And I’m seriously losing my confidence in everything. And I don’t know what to do.”

            The man nodded, his brow furrowing in thought. He thinks I’m joking, Kibum thought. I mean, honestly. Who comes to a pharmacy for crap like this?

            But then the man beckoned Kibum over with his finger. “There’s a secret to helping cases like yours.” Kibum leaned in and listened intently as the man whispered in his ear.

            “Alcohol.”

            Kibum stepped back, glaring at the man. “Seriously? I walked all this way just for you to tell me that?”

            “But I’m being serious,” the man nodded with wide eyes. “Go pick yourself up a pint of vodka or something. There’s a liquor store down the street. You’ll find yourself much more confident and free. Your cares will be lifted, and your thoughts will be lighter.”

            There was a moment’s hesitation before Kibum shrugged. “I’ll take anything right now. So I guess it will have to do.” He bowed to the man and thanked him before heading back out of the shop and down the street to fulfill his destiny. Or whatever it was that he was doing.

~

            The man at the pharmacy was right. After drinking the majority of the bottle of vodka, Kibum was feeling lighter and slightly happier. He marched inside, the remainder of the bottle in his hand as he made his way through the dark house and into Jonghyun’s room.

            Jonghyun was laying on the bed, thumbing through his phone. He was without a roommate again. The older sat up, looking at the other in his doorway. “Hey, Key. What’s up?

            Kibum shut the door behind him. “I need to talk to you, Kim Jonghyun. This is very important.”

            Jonghyun’s eyes widened as Kibum climbed onto the bed and over Jonghyun, propping himself up over the latter with one hand beside both sides of Jonghyun’s head. “K-Key—“

            Kibum shushed the boy he was hovering over. “No. Let me talk. I need a straight answer on some things, because you are confusing the hell out of me.”

            Jonghyun’s breathing was uneven, and he still looked as if he was being confronted by a ghost. But he nodded, signaling for Kibum to continue.

            “I wanna know what we are. I wanna know why when we’re alone, you’re so kind to me. You buy me things when we’re out shopping. You hold me close and you kiss my cheeks. When we go out with the rest of the members, you tone it down, but it’s still present. In front of the camera or on stage, it’s even greater. But when we get back to the dorm and we’re associating with the others, you’re so mean to me. You whine and complain about everything I do. You’re always pushing me off the couch or doing stupid things to piss me off. And I don’t understand what your true feelings are towards me.

            “Because you see, Jonghyun, I’m kinda in love with you. And I have been since, like, the second week of debut training. And it’s not fair to me. Because I feel like you’ve always known that and that you’re just messing with me. And if you’re really doing that, please stop. Just…don’t confuse me anymore.”

            Jonghyun’s didn’t move, and Kibum was internally shocked at how straight-forward he was being. Vodka had some magic powers! Jonghyun stared straight into the eyes of the boy above him and sighed.

            “Kibum…I actually wasn’t aware of your feelings for me. I knew that sometimes you seemed a little friendly towards me, but I always told myself that you couldn’t like me. Didn’t like me. That was a foreign concept for me. But to know that you’ve been in love with me this whole time…well, that just makes things interesting. Because you see, Kibum, I’m in love with you too. And I pick on you in front of the members because…sometimes I’m afraid of what they’ll say about us. So when we’re on camera, it can pass off as fanservice. And when we’re alone…I do whatever I want, hoping you’ll catch on. It was never my intention to hurt you in any way.”

            Shock was now pooling out of Kibum as he took in all of this. “You’re…you’re in love with me?”

            Jonghyun nodded with a small smile. “I believe that’s what I just said.”

            And then Kibum was ripping at Jonghyun’s clothing, left and right. “Why didn’t you tell me? Why couldn’t you just come out and say it? You had me so confused and sick over this, you motherer!” Kibum’s claws tore Jonghyun’s shirt right off of his torso and the pants were snagged from his lower half. Jonghyun just gripped Key’s shoulders, biting his lip.

            “I’m sorry…” Jonghyun pouted cutely, his eyes shining. “I’ve been a bad boy…I guess Kibummie should punish me.”

            “Damn right,” Kibum nodded, ing his own shirt. “And my first rule is: no more clothes.”

            When Kibum’s first rule was obeyed, the two shared a passionate display of their newly-discovered love, marking each other and ing and each other’s names. Eventually, all at once, their breaths caught, their s met in just the right way, and they both released in ecstasy and collapsed against each other, sticky with sweat among other things. Jonghyun pulled Kibum into his arms as the gasped for air together. They shared the last of Kibum’s vodka, laughing to themselves. As Jonghyun played with Kibum’s hair, the blonde boy looked up.

            “Just one more question.”

            “If it makes us do what we just did again, I’m all for it.”

            Kibum slapped Jonghyun’s arm playfully and rolled his eyes. “I want to know what you mean when you call me a hurricane.”

            Jonghyun chuckled before answering. “A hurricane is very much like a typhoon. It causes destruction and such. But it’s extremely powerful, whether it knows it or not. And no matter how much people protest against it, it still comes right on through. Because nothing can stop it, not even the petty words of others. And when it does its thing, it blows everyone away. And that’s you, Kibum. You’re a hurricane. You don’t stop for anyone or anything. You cause a mess, but no one truly understands it but you. And you most definitely blow all of us away. Because you’re absolutely amazing.”

            Silence overtook Kibum again as he nodded, snuggling into Jonghyun’s chest. “So, I shouldn’t change.”

            “Absolutely not,” Jonghyun said. “The hurricane Key is the one I fell in love with, and I would be devastated to lose him.”

            Kibum smiled and pecked Jonghyun’s lips before falling asleep.

~

            The next morning was even worse than the one before. As Kibum and Jonghyun came downstairs, having cleaned off the remains from the night before, their cheeks were bright red when they met the fate of the looks from the other members. Jonghyun went directly to the table and sat down while Kibum began cooking in the kitchen.

            “Kibum hyung…did you and Jonghyun ha—“

            “Yes, Taemin, Jonghyun and I had ,” Kibum said in an even tone. “And you should all probably know that we are in love and we are going to be in a relationship from here on. So I don’t care what you guys say, because we’re happy. And if you can’t appreciate that, oh well.”

            But instead of protests, there were cheers and a group hug around Kibum. Everyone was happy for him. For him and Jonghyun. And for once in his life, he truly felt accepted. And it was the most surreal feeling.

            From then on, when Kibum read an article about how ridiculous his outfit was, he stepped it up a notch. If someone complained about his relationship with Jonghyun, he kissed him during a live broadcast. Whenever they called him a nagging Umma, he’d put them in their place, stating that their own Umma had not raised them right if they were picking on him so childishly. And he no longer cared. Words didn’t affect him anymore. He was his own person. He was a hurricane.

            “My hurricane,” Jonghyun beamed.

            Yes. He was Jonghyun’s hurricane.

~~~~~

This took me way too long to write. What the heck. Six months is too long to work on a oneshot.

I have Key feels every time I listen to this song. It reminds me of him so much. <3

Hope you guys liked it, and thanks for reading! ^^