Pianist

Loved by Mistake
CHAPTER III
PIANIST
_______________________________________

Sulli

 

I got back to the apartment only to see my best friend looking at me with gooey eyes. “You know what; maybe your parents actually did you a favor?”

“What do you mean by that?” well I perfectly know what she means; I just don’t want to encourage her with the idea.

“Maybe you two can end up as a real couple, what do you think?”

I flop down the couch because my neck still hurts. “No Yoon, the guy has a girlfriend, it’s enough already that I feel bad to ruin someone’s relationship by agreeing to this marriage.”

“Why should you feel bothered? It’s not your fault, besides he also agreed to go on with this marriage.” My best friend tried to reason me out. “I should go, if only I knew you had company this morning, I should have dropped by for breakfast.”

“You can always come here anytime you want,” and I hug my best friend good bye. When Yoona left, I received an unexpected text.

“Hi GIM, please save my number just in case you needed to contact me. – GYM (guy-you’re-marrying)” I saved his number as Dr. GIM and type started typing my reply.

“Hope your girlfriend understands our situation, don’t worry we’ll get through this.”

I sure hope so; I’ll meet her after my shift at the hospital. Wish me luck!”

“We both need all the luck we can get if we’re going to do this.” I replied.

The short exchange of text message turned out to be a full blown conversation the whole morning. We talked about random things, mostly about our families and how he met his girlfriend. Even though he was already on duty at the hospital we consistently send text messages to one another until the

“I’ll text you later; I’m with Krystal right now. You and Yoona enjoy the night.” When he texted that he’s with his girlfriend at the moment, I suddenly felt a pang of pain but I didn’t mind it too much because I was busy preparing for my dinner date with my best friend at our favorite Italian restaurant. Ever since I got back from New York, Yoona and I make it a point that we hang out at least once a week even though we are both busy with work.

Since we are regular customers in the restaurant, almost all the staff and the owner knows us already. When Gustavo, the owner, saw us and immediately ushered us inside towards a reserved table near the piano bar. We thank our host and proceeded to order our food, tonight Yoona ordered Risotto with Vegetables while I ordered Aglio Olio and ordered Verdicchio, Italian white wine that taste fruity to complement the pasta. As expected, the food at Gustavo’s was delicious, by the time Yoona ask the waiter to refill her wine, she noticed that Gustavo’s cheery mood earlier this evening changed.

“A customer wishes to propose to his girlfriend tonight at the restaurant, but the pianist won’t be able to make it on time. Sir Gustavo is having a hard time looking for someone who can play the piano tonight just at least when the guys is proposing.” As soon as the waiter said that, Yoona look at me instantly.

“Don’t do this to me Yoon; I thought we’re supposed to enjoy the night together?” I exclaimed.

“Come on Jin, Gustavo has been an amazing host to us ever since we started going to his restaurant.” I sigh as a sign o defeat to my best friend. The waiter almost skip away  when Yoona said that I will play the piano for the event, Gustavo almost ran to our table to thank Yoona and I for saving his life tonight and hurriedly left us to arrange some things that were needed for the event later this evening. After an hour, the waiter said that it was already time and ushered me towards the grand piano. I felt that all eyes were staring at me. My best friend gave me an encouraging squeeze in the hand and smiled at me. I’m not afraid of playing in front people, I’m just scared that I’ll screw the guys evening by playing a wrong key. I breathe in and breathe out as I finally take my seat in front of the grand piano, a guy in a suit approached me, and he looks really nervous and scared.

“Gustavo said that you saved my proposal tonight, thank you very much. I’m Choi Siwon my girlfriend Sooyoung is over,” he pointed towards the girl who was sitting alone at the tables in front. “Do you know how to play I’m in Love?” I nodded. “Whew! Tonight’s indeed my lucky night; I hope my love will say yes after she hears me sing her favorite song.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll back you up” and give him an encouraging smile.

“Thanks, if I can’t continue singing can you please sing the rest of the song?” and looks me with pleading eyes.

“Alright” how can I say no the guys, he really looks desperate. As soon as he grab the microphone on the stand, I started Let it Rain while Siwon was introducing himself to the curious crowd we have tonight.

“Good evening everybody, my name is Choi Siwon tonight I’m with the most special person in my life and I would like to dedicated this song to her, Choi Sooyoung, I love you” then he looks at me and I started playing the I’m in Love in the piano.

Siwon Sang the first verse while standing on the stage…

to be honest from the

first time we met

saying I like you

was not easy for me to do

 

if I don't approach you first

I was afraid of losing you

 

Before he reaches the chorus, he slowly walks towards her girlfriend…

 

I wrote letters and prepare

Small gifts for you

 

If my love for you

Goes any deeper

It would only hurt me more

It’s true my mind is full of fear

 

I pray with all my heart

The person that I’m hoping for

I believe that person is you

 

“Choi Sooyoung, will you please marry me?” I feel like my heart is hanging by thread while waiting for Sooyoung answer.

“Yes, yes I’ll marry you Choi Siwon.”

I felt all the tense muscles in my body relaxed and remembered Siwon’s request a while ago. I carefully played the chords to go back to the part when Siwon let off and I started singing…

I’m in love

I fall in love

 

There’s no way around it

I can't hide my heart

You’re so beautiful

 

I thought I never

gonna fall in love

but i'm in love

cause i wanna love you baby

 

thruthfully from the first time

i met you

somewhere inside my heart

you crashed like a strong wave

 

you're the only thing

i think about all day

i can be a good lover

wanna be your four-leafed clover

i will make you feel like

the happiest woman in the world

 

you gotta believe me

make you never gonna leave me

i won't make you promises

i will just show it to you

 

i'm in love

with you baby

 

i fall in love

there's no way around it

 

After the last line, I know I’m not out of the woods; I still need to finish the last past of the piece. As soon as I hit the last note, everyone was on their feet clapping. I look at the love birds when the two break their embrace with a kiss. As the people around the couple started to wish them all the best in their married life, I made my way back to our table with my best friend greeting me with a big smile.

“You’re still the same Jin, never missed a note!”

“Yoon, I’m of practice I just got lucky I didn’t mess up the proposal.”

“You’re still humble in regards. Until now, I was wondering why you didn’t take the slot at Julliard, many people wishes to receive an acceptance letter in that school.”

“I’m just happy to know that I have the talent for them to consider me as their student, but we both know that I’ll run the family business eventually so I need to prepare for that day.” It’s the first time Yoona brought up the Julliard letter ever since I declined the position. Our small talk was interrupted when Siwon and Sooyoung approached our table. The couple thanked us and even asked me attend their wedding. After the newly engaged couple left, it was Gustavo’s turn to thank us and said that dinner for tonight is free. Yoona and I politely declined his offer and insist that we pay for our meal. After enjoying the rest of the night, Yoona and I decided to retire for the night. We were at the front door when we saw someone familiar.

“Sulli, Yoona.” Minho greeted us and introduced the girl beside him. “I’d like you to meet my girlfriend Krystal. Krystal this is Sulli and her best friend Yoona.”

“You’re the one who played the piano this evening right? Wow, you’re amazing back there.”

“Thanks” and smiled at them. You can clearly feel hostility in the air as soon as Minho introduced her girlfriend to us.

“Would you like to join us for coffee, Minho told me everything  this evening” Krystal said.

“We would love to, but we brought our cars so just tell us where and we’ll follow” I haven’t had the chance to answer or talk when Yoona drag me to the parking lot.

“What’s that about? I didn’t even agreed yet to this having coffee with them thing.” I said to my best friend.

“Come on Jin, aren’t you a bit curious about Minho’s girl friend because I surely am” she said and went straight to her car leaving me with no choice but to follow her.

This is going to be a long and awkward night, I can already see it.

 

***I hope everyone enjoyed reading this chapter as much I enjoy writing it! I hope to read your comments, let me know what you think about this one.***