Thirty

Daughter of Venus, Raised by Mars

Thirty

 

Background Music

 

                 Baekhyun was nervously pacing around the dormitory, as Hana hadn’t come back for a few hours now. Visits with Master usually didn’t last that long. He glanced at the uneaten bowl of rice that was going cold on the dinner table as he ran a hand through his hair. *What if something happened while she was there? She isn’t in trouble, is she?* Baekhyun couldn’t wait anymore, and quickly opened the door to get outside.

                 “Hey, you know Gu Hana, do you?” A boy in his late teens came up to Baekhyun.

                 “What happened to her, do you know?” He replied desperately.

                 “I heard that she tried to kill Master, so she got taken away by guards,”

                 Baekhyun’s heart sped up a thousand times, as he unconsciously clenched his hands, “Thanks, kid,” Trying to calm himself, he ran to Master’s headquarters, where he bumped into a tall figure—Kris.

                 Kris looked at him startled; Baekhyun ignored him and brushed past to open the door.

                 “Hello, Baekhyun,” Master waved his hand; his cheek was swollen.       

                 “Where’s Hana,” He growled.

                 “It’s none of your business,”

                 “IT’S ALL OF MY BUSINESS, WHERE IS SHE?” Baekhyun shouted.

                 He realized that no matter what, Master wouldn’t give him an answer. Inhaling and exhaling loudly, he ran to cell 8, where he was once tortured to save Hana. There was a guard standing there. Baekhyun grabbed his neck and pushed him against the door.

                 “Open it,” He whispered, “now.”

                 The guard shook his head and refused, until Baekhyun started to choke him. In fear of death, the guard gave the key. The latter released his grip, and put the key in the lock to open the door.

♦♦♦♦♦♦

                 Hana weakly whimpered as she lifted her head to see what the fumbling of the doorknob was about. The door burst open as a furious Baekhyun ran to her.

                 “Baek,” She cried, “I’m sorry,”

                 “Why are you apologizing?” He sighed as he began to undo the knot on her wrists.

                 “For everything,”

                 “Shhh,” Baekhyun whispered as he collected her in his arms. Pressing his head against hers in relief, he kissed her forehead. “Let’s get you out of here,”

                 Nodding, Hana closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around Baekhyun’s neck. “Baekhyun,” she breathed.

                 “What,”

                 “Luhan is half-robot,”

                 He stopped in his tracks, “Is that why you went to see master?”

                 She nodded again.

                 Baekhyun didn’t know what to feel as he shook his head and continued, “After these Olympics, I’m going to kill him whether you agree or not,” A strange surge of selfishness, envy, and anger overtook him. *Why must it always be him, when he was the one who left, and I was the one who stayed by your side?*

                 Hana’s breath hitched when she heard Baekhyun’s words.

♦♦♦♦♦♦

                 “How are your injuries?” Luhan stared at Hana’s arms with furrowed brows.

                 She couldn’t help but stare at him back, analyzing every nook and cranny of his body, searching for something, anything that symbolized he was artificial. It was difficult to look at him the same way as she always had before—the intelligent, kind best friend. Hana was at war with herself, not knowing quite what to do in this situation. 

                 Luhan had caught her stare, immediately suspicious, “Sojin?”

                 “Oh what? Oh, I’m fine. Thank you for your concern,” She murmured, letting her eyes linger on him a bit more before tearing her gaze away.

 ♦♦♦♦♦♦

                 The rest of the day went by in a daze as both Hana and Baekhyun remained awkward in a state of awkwardness. The Olympics were next week, and Hana still had to make a plan to steal files from S.L. Ryu for Master. She decided to pay a visit to Master, to ask exactly what files he needed.

                 “I was right, you really do have guts,” Master smiled as he watched Hana come into the office.

                 Ignoring his unnecessary comment, Hana went straight to the point, “What files do you need from S.L. Ryu?”

                 “Any file with Luhan’s name on it, as well as any files that looks like a plan for war. I’ll give you a map in order to navigate your way through his building, as it can be a challenge. Assuming that Luhan is important to him, his files should be in his office because they are confidential. They should be in a safe underneath his table, and there will be a security code. Make sure that before you go, you take the decoder in the weaponry room. Speaking of that, when are you planning to make your trip?”

                 “After the Olympics are over,” She nodded.

                 “You are dismissed. Oh and, do not inform Baekhyun about the mission. This is just for you alone,”

                 Bowing, she left his office and quickly jotted down all of the information she just absorbed.

♦♦♦♦♦♦

Background Music

                 It was relatively warm outside, but not warm enough for everyone to be sweating before the games started. Students and parents were already starting to fill in the bleachers around the stadium, ready with their cameras and video cameras. Those cheering for the black team sat on the left, and those cheering for the red were seated on the right.

                 “Are you ready for this?” Baekhyun asked Luhan while he changed into his red shirt and shorts in the boys changing room.

                 “I’m quite excited actually. I’ve never done this type of thing before in my life,” He replied. It wasn’t something that out of all people, he should be excited about. But the corners of his mouth still turned up into a hidden smile. He also changed into a red shirt.

                 “Looks like we’re both against Hana,”

                 “What?”

                 “Hana chose the black team,”

                 “I see,”

                 They adjusted their caps, and went onto the field that was mixed with black and red.

                 Hana spotted the two boys and raced out to greet them.

                 “It’s odd seeing you not dressed professionally,” Luhan commented.

                 Hana was dressed the same as the two boys, except in black, and her ponytail went through the loop of her cap. “Same goes for you,” She replied.

♦♦♦♦♦♦

                 The opening ceremony passed by fairly quick, and soon everyone who was playing the first event headed towards the soccer field. There were about 10 or so players on each team, and Hana, Luhan, and Baekhyun were part of either one, for it was the only sport they all had in common.            

                 The referee blew his whistle, and there were darts of black and red in all places. Baekhyun was the first to get to the ball, smoothly dribbling it towards his team’s goal. He attempted to kick it to Luhan, but it was intercepted by one of the black team players. They tried to kick it into their goal, but missed. The ball was thrown in, and Luhan was the one to get a hold of it first this time. A look of determination was spread throughout his face as he successfully kicked it into the goal. Earsplitting cheers were heard as the red half of the stadium stood up. Hana panted as she bent towards her knees. I have to score this time. The whistle blew again an she darted as quickly as possible towards the ball. She kicked it towards one of her teammates, who kicked it back. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Luhan coming, and sped up. Before she could kick the goal however, Hana tripped over someone’s foot, and collided with an extremely solid chest.

                 Solid.

                 Time seemed to slow as she fell on her behind and glanced up, to see Luhan with a worried expression.

                 Blood drained from her heated face with beads of sweat clinging to her forehead.

                 “Hey, are you ok?” He asked softly, bending down face to face.

                 Her eyes widened in horror as she looked at him again. That glint in his eye. She could see his left eye focusing and refocusing.

                 “So it’s true,” She whispered to herself.


Author's Note: Yay, an update! Finals are over, and I get to start with a fresh new semester. It's crazy how time has passed so quickly! I hope you lovely readers enjoy the update, and I hope to post another one not too long from now. Sorry that I'm updating less frequently now, but it can't be helped. :( I hope you all are healthy, and stay awesome!

-Min