Rush!Rush!Rush!

The Long Ride Up

I rushed through the double doors of the giant glass building. I took a look behind me and sighed still continuing in my stride. "Hurry up!"

My friend on the other hand, continued to take his sweet time getting through the door and across the lobby. I ran over to the elevator, pressing the ^ button repeatedly. I glanced back again still pushing and saw Kai shaking his fringe out of his eyes. He seemed so relaxed and I was wondering how when I realized it’s just me who’s in a rush. He was the one who had told me about his friend's job opening anyway but didn't have to care that much.

The doors finally opened and several men in black or gray business suits rushed out the overgrown dumbwaiter. Kai continued looking down and I noticed one man in a suit standing slightly behind Kai now. He had on thick black glasses, a black suit, light blue shirt, and blue, black and gray striped tie. He looked professional and nerdy but also didn’t have Kai’s same apathy. It annoyed me slightly, and I wondered where the guy was headed but then Kai pointed to the elevator and I turned back to see that it was empty and it beeped waiting for us to get in. I shuffled my way inside and he stepped on, followed by the nerd. I tapped my foot as a habit I learned from my grandmother that seems to de-stress me when I’m running late. The elevator finally started moving thankfully and I watched the numbers light up, waiting to reach the 23rd floor.

1….2….3

“You know SungMin; you’re going to get this job. But if you keep worrying so much, you’ll get frown lines.” Kai said trying to be helpful but failing miserably. I really didn’t have time for his observations, so I continued to watch the lights.

6….7….8

“SungMin? Are you listening?” You don’t know how hard I’m trying not to. “Uh huh, yeah.” I replied to give him satisfaction. I’ve known Kai for years now; he has even been my temporary roommate off and on. I’ve learned to get past his flaws and quirks but he still hasn’t learned what time is appropriate for him to speak, and when he should just stop.

“Ah hem,” “Nerd Guy” said, not sure if he was getting our attention or just clearing his throat but when I turned to him his eyes widened in fright and I realized I had sent him an unintended death glare. I blushed slightly and turned back to the never-ending light up of numbers.

13……14

I turned back to Kai and he smiled at me. I tried to smile back but it didn’t turn out quite right. It felt lopsided and he gave me a concerned look in return. He took both his index fingers, placed them on my cheeks pushing up so that the corners of my mouth were pointed upward, making me show what was probably a really cheesy smile. “Aw, you’re adorable. Why don’t you use your smile that often? It’s so bright and cheerful.

I stared at him waiting for him to let go of my cheeks when I heard a ding. I snatched up my little rolling bag with all of my resume stuff and charged out the big metal doors. I stopped at the sound of Kai’s voice behind me. “Wrong floor,” he called. I turned to look at the elevator and saw that the numbers were only lit up to 16. Oh the frustration I felt… and the embarrassment seeing a slightly startled looking man who I had nearly trampled in my attempt to be on time. I walked back to the elevator keeping my head down to hide my blush and grumbled a quick apology as the man stepped into the elevator as well.

16…..

Still with 7 more flights to go there were now 3 males and one me on this elevator. It was getting a bit stuffy in here and I was finding the higher we went the worse I felt. I looked to the other occupants of the elevator to see how they were. They were all composed in a calm manor, ‘Nerd Guy’ clutching a suitcase a bit tightly in his hand, the newest addition, who was standing nearly a foot taller than I am  with blonde hair and light green eyes, and Kai in his casual as ever blue jeans and an orange t-shirt with white collar and edges on the sleeves.

19…..20…

The amount of time this was taking was unbearable and after all this waiting, I wanted nothing more than to get in and out of this interview and take the stairs down to the lobby. It may be a lot of walking and with the heels I was wearing, a foot suicide, but I’d give anything to not be on this elevator again.

21….22….

The final ding. Here it was. Finally off this crappy thing…