☼41

YAH, THAT WOMAN!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"We have to arrive there at about five thirty to six o'clock. Really, it starts at five, but we have to make a late appearance to attract attention. And that- Baekhyun, are you listening to me?" His dad set down his utensils and stared at day dreaming Baekhyun.

 

He sighed and put his cheek on his hand, playing around with his lunch. "Dad... Do we really have to go to the Kwon's party? I mean I never went before so why should I go now? Besides, I'm just not in the mood..."

 

Currently the two were sitting at the dining table with his dad discussing about to him how to act in the party tonight. The Kwons were an important family in the business world and they had to be on good terms with them just to be safe. Too bad the advice went in one ear of Baekhyun's and went out the other.

 

“Son, this party is really important. I know you aren’t into running the family business and everything but it’s your duty. You’re going to have to face reality and walk in my footsteps soon. Baekhyun, you’re 21. You’re old enough to actually act like an adult. I’ve given you enough free time these past years and it’s time that you start acting like a real man! You’re going to attend the Kwon’s party whether you like it or not!” His father’s tone was strict sharp enough to make him wince in guilt. He was well aware that he would have to be dragged into his father’s business as the heir since he’s their only son, but it still just didn’t feel right.

 

“Neh abeoji…” his voice was barely above a whisper and continued to play around with the food on his plate like a puppy. There was no doubt that his father was fed up and angered right now and when he’s angry, he can be really scary. He didn’t dare say another word at this point... Baekhyun stayed silent as his father continued to fume in anger. It was completely silent... Well until his mom came in.

 

"Woowww, why is it so quiet in here?" she giggled, walking in with a bowl in her hands.

 

"Our son refuses to go to the Kwon's party."

 

She scrunched her eyebrows and placed a hand on her son's shoulder. "Wae? Just about two weeks ago, you said you were actually looking forward to. Didn't you say that EXO-K would also attend? This time you have your friends!" she cheerfully tried to convince him to change his decision.

 

"I know but you know, they're all still pretty pissed at me especially Sehun. He's been secretly been giving me glares behind my back. I feel suffocated. It's like the gods are punishing me for my mistakes. I'm miserable... I just miss her..." he buried his face in his hands, ruffling his hair in frustration. He truly looked pitiful right now that even his dad who had been previously angry had softened at the sight. His mom sighed and took a seat next to him, rubbing his back, sympathetically.

 

“Honey, we both know you were stupid with breaking up with her. She’s the best girl that’s ever walked in your life. She’s pretty, smart, talented, gorgeous, funny, polite, and everything! Su Kyung’s perfect. I honestly don’t know why you broke up with her actually.”

 

“Mom, not helping.” He peeked at her through his fingers, giving her a frown

 

Yeah his parents knew about their little break up also and were heartbroken to realize that they lost their perfect daughter in law especially his mom. She was more than mad and furious; she was also disappointed. He tried to explain why he made that choice and to his surprise, his parents believed him. Yeah, they were angry to find out that Baekhyun would go to that extent to say those harsh words to Su Kyung, but after seeing how depressed and heartbroken he looked, they really did believe that he loved her. And the only right thing they could do is console him and help him get out of this state. Baekhyun was truly thankful that his parents were looking after him like this. At least some people didn't hate him.

 

"Aw Baekhyunnie, do you know what mends a broken heart? Jjang! Ice cream for you," she handed the bowl that she brought earlier over to him. Indeed it was ice cream but guess what flavor? Cookies and cream. This only made his heart throb more.

 

"Omma, I'm not a girl. Guys don't stuff their face with ice cream when they're depressed," he sighed and closed his eyes.

 

"Ah... Alright then 'manly Bacon'. I'll just get this out of the way too. It was your favorite too." Just when his mom was about to take the bowl away, he stopped her by gently grabbing her wrist.

 

"Actually... I'll take it. Just leave it here."

 

She smiled victoriously and carefully set it down again along with the spoon. She watched him with care as he scooped up some and shoved it in his mouth mindlessly like he was lost in his thoughts. Oh wait, he was.

 

"Abeoji... I... want to go to the Kwon's party." he suddenly spoke up.

 

"Bwoh? What made you change your mind, son?"

 

He shrugged and smiled bitterly. "I don't know. I felt that I should get out more besides going to school. Maybe... I need a break from thinking so hard and sulking around."

 

His dad started to laugh heartily and clapped his hands together. "Now that's my son! I knew you would come around some day! Atta boy. We got to get you all dressed up for the party. Come, come with me! I have a lot to go over with you!" He pulled Baekhyun up and started to drag him away. He opened his mouth to protest, but stopped once he saw his dad's excited expression and chuckled. His dad was such a child sometimes.
 

--

"Dad, do I have to wear this bow tie? Can't I just wear a tie instead?" Baekhyun whined and tugged on his bow tie only for his hand to be slapped away.

 

"Stop it, son. It's a formal event. It's more professional to wear a bow tie at parties like this." He explained and tried to put on his own bow tie but he was struggling with it. Eventually his mom had to come over to help.

 

"I heard it's the Kwon's daughter's birthday today! I've met the girl. Yes, very nice and well mannered. I forgot her name but I do know that she's about your age too!" she grinned and made the finishing knot on her husband's bow tie. "Yeobo, don't you think we should let their daughter and Baekhyunnie tied in an arranged marriage."
 


Baekhyun was appalled when he heard those words come out of . Did his mom really just say that? She knew how much he detested these types of things. "Mom, seriously stop joking around. I'm really not amused." he scowled, pulling on the tuxedo's cuffs because it was too tight.

 

Instead of staying silent, she laughed in delight and wrapped her arm around her husband's waist. "Aigoo alright son. I just wanted to tease you a bit. Don't worry." A wink was sent in his direction. "We really should go. We don't want to be too late, do we?"

 

The three Byuns entered the limousine prepared for them and took off. It wasn't like he didn't like his parents' behavior. He just felt uncomfortable about the idea of getting married to someone he didn't even know. He also preferred to fall in love and get married to the girl he was truly close with and happy with. Immediately after he thought it, Su Kyung's face popped into his mind and he was set into a mood of depression once again. Just the mention of her name made him yearn for her touch.

 

After him zoning out for what seemed like eternity, the car finally stopped in front of what seemed to be a castle that was adorned with bright lights, flashy yet classy decorations, and amazing details. So the princess's birthday was being held here, eh?

 

Baekhyun politely helped his mom out of the car and she hooked her arms with both him and her husband. The steps were so huge but eventually they managed to pass it and once they stepped into the ballroom, Baekhyun's breathed hitched. There were about what? 200? 300 people here? Everyone was socializing, dancing, and even eating with others as they strut around in their fancy outfits and such. Anyone could see that it was the Kwon's daughter's birthday since there was a giant banner hanging on the stage as well as a giant pink table where the presents were nicely piled up for the whole world to see, He had long forgotten how amazing these formal parties were but now, he was still amazed.

 

"Sirs and madam, here are your masks." a butler politely appeared them with three customized masks. They box it was held in had 'BYUN' in large capital letters on it. So each family had their own masks eh? How creative.

 

Baekhyun picked up his and examined it carefully with his nimble fingers. The mask was gold. Not real gold of course. It had a smooth metallic feeling to it and the edges were decorated with gold glitter as well as little golden rhinestones that glimmered under the light. Little designs were drawn onto it with white paint. It looked good. It really did. He quickly slipped it on and followed his parents before he was left behind again.

 

"Ji sung! Nice to see you again, old friend!" A man Baekhyun did not recognize greeted his father like they hadn't seen each other in years. "And Taehee, you look as beautiful as ever this evening." He bowed and his mother followed with her signature bright smile.

 

"Ah Taewon, you and Minhye look absolutely captivating as well this evening," his father chuckled deeply, patting the other man on the back. He noticed that the two people his parents were talking to weren't wearing any masks.

 

"Oh, who is that? Your son? Ohoho! The last time I saw him, he was only half your height, Ji Sung! Now look at him, fine men indeed!" the stranger complimented and Baekhyun knew he had to greet him now. He took off his mask as well and politely bowed at the elder man.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Byun Baekhyun."

 

"Ah a fine man indeed. Very handsome and charming," the female stranger gushed at his mom. "Almost as old as our son I presume. They look like they could be good friends in the future if they ever meet."

 

The four adults laughed while Baekhyun just awkwardly smiled, watching them. "Baekhyun, this is the Kwons. They're the host of the party as well as the parents of the birthday girl." His dad kindly explained.

 

"Speaking of the birthday girl, where is she? I haven't seen her yet," his mom craned her neck like she was looking for someone.

 

"Ahh that girl. She couldn't care less about this while party we're t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter