[004]

Protect My Queen

"I'm sorry, I thought you were Xenon!"

 

Joong Ki repeatedly apologized to the bodyguard trio, especially Kwang Soo, who was his victim a while ago. Getting hit unexpectedly was not a big deal for Kwang Soo, so he did not put Joong Ki responsible for the drumming ache in his head. Finally getting himself to stop feeling bad about the incident, Joong Ki started to speak.

 

"Xenon... They... They barged into my house and took me away by force, when Mum and Dad were on a business trip. Ever since, I guess... I just got even jumpy than before. That's probably why they left me with Ji Hyo noona for this trip to Taiwan. They just want me to be safe." Joong Ki explained, while his cousin rubbed his back gently, standing close to him.

 

"Oh! I nearly forgot. Uhh... My name is Song Joong Ki. Nice to meet you." Joong Ki awkwardly held out his hand to greet the three of them, not forgetting his manners.

 

"Hello. I am Yoo Jae Suk." His tone is cheerfully optimistic and he reeks of the charisma of a leader, Joong Ki noted.

 

"Ji Suk Jin." Joong Ki noticed that this man looked a little too old to be on the front lines, but the little glint in his eyes showed that he might be more than meets the eye.

 

"I am Lee Kwang Soo. Ah, I guess we've been introduced to each other already, isn't it?" That cheeky laugh caught Joong Ki's attention. Kwang Soo's height that boasts up to 190 centimetres had caught Joong Ki's fascination as well. Joong Ki shook his hand too.

 

Getting the formalities out of the way, the Voids excused themselves, already having a layout sketch of the huge mansion to plan their defence and counter-attack against Kim Jong Kook and his men. They went back to the garage to unload their gadgets from the van, heading towards the guest rooms that Ji Hyo showed them earlier that would serve as their temporary base.

 

Jae Suk settled three suitcases on the coffee table, popping them open to reveal various sizes of guns ranging from short-ranged handguns to detached long-ranged rifles; his preferred weapon is guns and he owns it all. Well, as much as he is allowed to own, anyway. He checked his weapons, making sure they're in great performance and ready for some action.

 

Suk Jin, on the other hand, started working by disabling every electrical appliance in the room they are in, wiring up his laptops and installing huge monitors for better observation. While waiting for his laptop to boot up, he took out his bag of tracking and spying cameras, preparing to bug the entire Song family mansion, excluding the family's private resting rooms.

 

Kwang Soo is the new intern that got drafted beneath the care of the duo, and he was assigned to observe and assist, so he helped Suk Jin with the setting up of the various equipment. Later, he was asked to accompany his mentor throughout the mansion to set up hidden security cameras along each hallway, and also infra-red motion sensors that will only be activated late at night when everyone had slept.

 

After successfully bugging the entire house, gaining access to each and every camera in three big monitor screens, they return back to their base. Jae Suk had also finished preparing his weapons, all of them standing by and fully loaded with bullets.

 

"The surveillance looks good," Jae Suk commented, looking at the screen as he wiped his hands from loading the firearms earlier. It wasn't exactly dirty, but it had already became a habit of his. Suk Jin clicked away at a small remote. The curtains slid together, blocking the sunset ray, as the projector started to project images onto the closed curtain. Three men's photo came into view.

 

"Xenon. We're expecting them, and we've got experience against them, except for you, Kwang Soo," Suk Jin began to explain their enemy to his disciple, who listened with full concentration. "They have been our rival for quite some time, way back when it was only me and Jae Suk against Kim Jong Kook and Haha. They had recruited Gary recently, though. To be accepted as one of them, Gary was not somebody that we could overlook easily as well."

 

"For now, we'll put Gary aside. Moving on to Ha Dong Hoon, also more commonly known as..."

 

"Haha." Kwang Soo had made his fair share of research. He tried not to laugh.

 

"He was an easy opponent when faced head-on," Jae Suk interrupted, an evil smirk surfacing on his face as he was reminded about the times where he had caught Haha at the tip of his gun. Unfortunately, Jong Kook was always one step earlier than the moment when Jae Suk chose to pull the trigger.

 

Suk Jin stepped forward and patted his partner on his back, continuing his briefing. "Haha is indeed an easy opponent. Like Jae Suk said, we could only defeat him if we fight him face to face. His specialty is sneaking around in the shadows, searching and making escape routes and short-cuts for Jong Kook's easy navigation."

 

Kwang Soo is impressed by Jong Kook and Haha's teamwork as described by his mentor. "Then, do both hyungs had any similar teamwork strategies?" He asked, looking expectantly at both his mentors.

 

Upon this question, Suk Jin bit his lower lip and smiled apologetically to Kwang Soo. "I'm sorry, but we don't."

 

Behind his black-framed glasses hid a certain level of mixed emotions, to which he curtained it well with his smile. "Now, if we're not too carried away by our emotions, we may be able to sit through the rest of the briefing." That sentence was directed to nobody but himself, but nobody commented on it.

 

"Kim Jong Kook. Also known as 'Sparta'." Showing several surveillance photos of Jong Kook training in the gym or fighting against local gangsters, Suk Jin continued. "He's strong. We usually don't engage in direct combat with him because look at those," he zoomed in to let Kwang Soo have a look at the rippling muscles. "Trust me, you do not want to fight anybody like that."

 

Kwang Soo nodded repeatedly in respect.

 

"Also, he seemed to have no trouble getting away from the police. He was always released for having not enough evidence against him, or having a believable alibi."

 

A brief silence follows. Suk Jin continued. "Alright, just to remind everybody, we take actions based on precise calculation and careful planning. We can't risk anything, and only rely on instincts when our plans are seen through. Yes, that means you as well, Jae Suk."

 

"You know I act spontaneously, hyung." Jae Suk grinned, uneven teeth forming a dorky smile. "It's my style. I can't follow orders."

 

After that, they went for dinner, and started to monitor the activity around the mansion.

 

There were no unusual activity, but around midnight, the electricity supply of the Voids' surveillance room went off.

 

~TBC