[003]

Protect My Queen

The next morning, the first thing that the Voids did was to map out the layout of the Song's grand mansion. For a family of three, the house was extremely spacious. The leader, whom Ji Hyo later found out his full name is Yoo Jae Suk, suggested that she guide them around the huge living space to save time. The other two agents, Ji Suk Jin and Lee Kwang Soo, followed Ji Hyo's lead as well.

 

Ji Hyo led them around the house, naming rooms they passed by. There's a butler's room, a maid's room, chef's resting quarters, gardener's storage room, and a few guest rooms that serves as the Voids' temporary headquarters.

 

When Jae Suk expressed his amazement to his Chief's wealth, it was then revealed that their boss also had a hand in stock markets. Ji Hyo was back to the living room, intending to guide them to the gazebo at the backyard when she noticed that the tall one was missing.

 

She pointed it out to the two elder members, who were already deep-rooted in a discussion amongst themselves. Only then did they snap out of it, looking around for signs of their junior. "Where could Kwang Soo trail off to?" Suk Jin muttered, trying to spot Kwang Soo littering around the corridors connecting to the huge living room.

 

Ji Hyo watched them calling out for Kwang Soo, and started having doubts about her new bodyguards.

 

A few minutes earlier in the past, back to the time when Kwang Soo was still walking behind the group. The tall junior was openly admiring the grand decorations around the room, gaping at everything he sees, from ceramic vases to elegant art pieces to the carpeted corridors. Ji Hyo led them along the hallway that leads to the study room, which is the room that Kwang Soo had told Suk Jin that he felt somebody's presence.

 

The older man shrugged it off, saying that he's overreacting because of the dim lightings. Even so, Kwang Soo kept a firm hold on Suk Jin's shoulders until they're finished with the surveying of the room.

 

Jae Suk was carefully studying and sketching the layout on a piece of paper, keeping track of which room leads to which. Turning his head back towards the creepy study room, Kwang Soo intended to gave it a final look, but when he saw a face peeking out and darting back in from the door frame, it took him all his willpower to not yell and scream. He bit his lower lip hard, the mystery of the study room too intriguing, albeit scary, to pass up just like that.

 

Looking back towards his seniors, who were following Ji Hyo and already a distance away from him, he decided to pursue the mysterious figure that lurks in the room.

 

Returning to the study room quietly, he pushed the door open. The fact that it was not creaky could only mean that it had been constantly oiled, but that was too out of place for a room that seemed to be no longer in use. Kwang Soo stepped into the semi-dark room, the gentle morning rays from the outside helped in lighting up the area around the windows. Being extremely cautious, Kwang Soo listened for any signs of movements.

 

He heard shuffling noises just around the book shelves.

 

Kwang Soo slid himself against a shelf, slowly peeking to the side. There was nobody there, but he swore the noises were closer now.

 

The shuffling stopped for a moment, eerie silence filling in its wake. Kwang Soo trembled a little at the sudden silence, telling himself that he could do it, that he could brave it out until he unravel the mystery of the shuffling noises. Braving a few steps forward, he peered down the aisle, and can briefly make out a crouching figure against one of the shelves further behind.

 

Kwang Soo felt like he was in a horror movie. Taking a deep breath, he braved on. Steeling his frantic heartbeat, he took small steps forward, balling his hand into a fist to brace himself.

 

All of a sudden, the crouching figure leashed out at Kwang Soo, successfully knocking him over. That person pinned Kwang Soo down, successfully restraining him. Without fully regaining control of his movement, Kwang Soo can't even react fast enough to yell, and watched as the person gave out a yell and delivered a punch straight to his face.

 

"Stop!" Kwang Soo had seen stars, but he managed to yell back, trying to stop the second punch flying towards his face. But the person did not stop, as the fists keep raining down around his face, some of them on his chest. He blocked some of them with his left arm, his right arm reaching up to the figure restraining him, trying to fight back. The person yelled, knocking his hand away harshly with his elbow, which rendered Kwang Soo's hand momentarily paralyzed for a moment.

 

Knowing that this mysterious person would not stop any time soon, Kwang Soo flailed his long legs around, trying to kick against anything that can free him from his attacker. His legs hit on the nearby bookshelf, and the attacker was shocked at the sudden downpour of books, as one of the thicker books wasted no time hitting the assaulter squarely on the head.

 

The punches stopped, but unfortunately, some of the books hit Kwang Soo directly in the face as well.

 

Soon enough, the both of them were yelling from the pain of the falling books. The assaulter wanted to get off Kwang Soo, but the latter forcibly pulled them down, using them as a human shield against the books.

 

"What happened!" Ji Hyo's voice pierced throughout the study room. Looking towards the fallen pile of books and the two people buried underneath it, the young lady rushed forward and started to comb through the huge mess, the other two officers following in her steps. Pulling the first person up, Ji Hyo let out an exasperated yell.

 

"Joong Ki! What are you doing here?"

 

~TBC