[001]

Protect My Queen

"I said, I can take care of myself!"

 

"And I'm saying that you can't!"

 

Three officers of the SBS Police Department stood at the far end of the room, watching the yelling match between the daughter and her father, whom also doubles as their Chief of Department.

 

"What is wrong with you, father? People were trying to put me in harm's way for years now! This could just be another empty threat!"

 

"So you're saying that just because you're safe from harm all these years, you're willing to put your life as a bet against Xenon, huh?" The father slammed a letter with the "XENON" signature on the table, cutting off his daughter's upcoming retort with his words. "Song Ji Hyo, listen to me! They are a skilled group of mafia hitmen! Your cousin was once their victim, don't you remember!?"

 

Thinking of Joong Ki makes Ji Hyo's heart twist a little. The poor kid, he was just one year younger than her in age, but he got the bad end of the gang's treatment when he was kidnapped by Xenon. He was mistreated and moved around in cargo ships until his parents gave up on tracking the kidnappers and chose to pay the ransom instead.

 

Ji Hyo remembered Joong Ki's parents coming to her father for help with nothing but desperation. Search and track efforts were made, but Xenon was swift and efficient when it comes to covering their existence. Much like the actual colorless, odorless noble gas.

 

Joong Ki was rescued, but he still had nightmares and recollections of the fear he felt on those days. He's currently staying over at Ji Hyo's place, his own parents away on a business trip. They claimed they would prefer to take care of their son, but apparently this trip deemed vital in returning the debt that they had owed Ji Hyo's parents - after all, it's not their own money that was exchanged for Joong Ki's freedom.

 

Remembering Joong Ki, Ji Hyo's jaw steeled.

 

"Don't involve Joong Ki into our conversation, father." Ji Hyo growled, ignoring the little voices that urges her to be respectful. Right now, she needs to let herself be heard, more than anything else.

 

"He's the proof that this message..." Her father pointed at the signed letter. "...is a warning, and that we need to be prepared."

 

"Why would he warn us, then? Why don't this... Xenon or whatever just swoop in and kidnap me, huh?"

 

One of the smart looking officer cleared his throat.

 

"If I am allowed to speak?"

 

"Yes, go ahead, Mr. Yoo." Ji Hyo's father commanded.

 

The squad leader began to explain. "Have you ever heard of the phrase 'playing with your food'? It's this case for Xenon. They enjoy giving their prey a heads-up, giving their targets a chance to defend themselves, because they take pride in making a point that no matter how strong their opposer are, they will emerge victorious in the end. Just like the case with the young Mr. Song, in the end, didn't they got all the ransom money no matter how hard we tried?"

 

"How could you possibly know all of that?" Ji Hyo glanced suspiciously at the spectacled man.

 

"My colleagues were on this case. All of them are assigned to desk jobs now instead of field work thanks to Xenon's brutal approach. Besides, I've clashed heads lots of times with Xenon's leader." The calmness he displayed had taken Ji Hyo off guard. "Kim Jong Kook had been in my way for a long time. Mr. Song here was wise to request for our assistance. We knew a lot about them. Battle tactics, ambush methods and the like."

 

"You could say we're like... rivals."

 

Ji Hyo's father added. "I went to tactic squad Void after knowing that we're under Xenon's threat. It appears that I have made the right choice."

 

"The rightness of your decision isn't decided yet, father. Mr. Yoo, if you're what you claim you are," Ji Hyo began. "Then why can't you defeat and catch him up until now?"

 

The addressed man chuckled, shifted his black-rimmed glasses in place as he spoke. "Have you ever seen Kim Jong Kook in person?" He was smiling, but his smile doesn't radiate any warmth. Ji Hyo shifted uncomfortably. "He was strong. Both physically and mentally. It was an achievement to just catch him by surprise."

 

"If you think you would like to have a shot against him," Mr. Yoo extended his hand, as if inviting Ji Hyo for a dance. "Then be my guest."

 

Ji Hyo was slightly annoyed at this show of mock challenge, but she kept it down.

 

"Chief, if you don't mind, we would like to make a few requests, if we were to take on this case." Mr. Yoo gestured towards his remaining two members behind him. "Suk Jin hyung, it's your turn."

 

"Ah," The older, also bespectacled man stepped forward. Clearing his throat, he started to speak of the plan that he had mapped out. "We would prefer it if Miss Song could excuse herself from her university studies for this upcoming month, and hire a personal tutor instead. We have a few contacts to several distinguished tutors, if hiring one had been deemed impossible. Also, if Miss Song would like to engage in any social activities outside of the mansion, she should be able to feel comfortable with the three of us following her, in casual clothes, of course, as to not stand out."

 

"The point is, we need to reduce Miss Song's exposure until all of this is over." The man concluded, taking a step back to his original position. "The most it will take is just for a week." The man named Suk Jin added, while Ji Hyo's father mulled about it for a while, to be interrupted by Ji Hyo once again.

 

"Father! I don't agree with..."

 

"Silence!" She did not go against her father's command. Instead, she gritted her teeth and flared her anger directly at the three officers, mostly directing them to the one that suggested this ridiculous plan. He just gave her a small smile in return.

 

Deep down, she knew resisting would be useless. Her father is just as stubborn as she is.

 

"Very well." Ji Hyo's father announced. "I shall put you three onto this case."

 

'Just wait it out, it's just for a week. What can be wrong?' Ji Hyo convinced herself so.

 

Little did she know, so much can happen in a week.

 

~TBC

A/N: MafiaAU! I had been wanting to write this for quite some time. I hope you enjoy this, and give great comments if you loved it!