Chappie 3~

The Cost of Envy

The school bell rang, signifying the end of the first period. The teacher left the classroom almost immediately, ignoring the greetings of the students. So Eun heaved a sigh of relief, finally, the torture is over. Lucky for her, the next period was a Class Discussion period where the form teachers would settle administrative things. This was her favorite period as their form teacher, Ms Lee, was a righteous teacher who knew the boundaries between what is wrong and what is right. When she was in the class, nobody would dare cause any trouble, this equates to one period free of any bullying. Covering the lower part of her face with the book, the ends of her cherry like lips rose slightly. 

Ms Lee walked in with grace, her white blouse and blue skirt cutting cross the wind, slightly moving. She and the teacher just now were of extreme ends, thought So Eun. "Okay class, settle down." she spoke with such grace yet authority. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at Ms Lee. "I am glad to inform you that there will be a transfer student transferring into our class. He was in America for quite a while so he might not really remember Korean culture. Do help him along. Come in Myungsoo haksaeng. " she turned her head to look at the door, prompting all of them to follow after her.

The transfer student, or should So Eun say Myungsoo, walked into the room with a nonchalant expression. He walked towards the front of the class room and turned his body towards the class. The girls were squealing with excitement about the presence of yet another handsome guy, and this one was by far the most handsome guy in school yet. All of the girls thought that he was of another level as compared to the rest of the guys in the school, and hoped that they could be the one standing next to him in future. " I'm Kim Myung Soo. Call me only by L.", he smirked and said. "Kim Myung Soo?" So Eun widened her eyes and thought," Don't tell me it's THAT myungsoo. Nah, it can't be. He wasn't like this." She shook her head and continued reading her book. Myungsoo sat at the furthest seat and just stared out of the window. 

The bell rang for recess and immediately all the girls rushed over to Myungsoo's seat and shot a number of questions. And of course, the "all" excluded So Eun. She just took her wallet and went to the canteen for recess. After she grabbed some small bites, she took off towards the school library. Since the students were from well-off families, their parents usually helped sponsor facilities and this library was one of them. It had 3 levels and was really huge, much to So Eun's satisfaction. 

She read silently at a corner and was about to return the book she had finished back to its original place till she saw that the new obnoxious transfer student was standing at that exact spot where her book was to be placed. She waited for him to finish browsing through the books, which she thought would be rather short since he doesn't seem like a book person but unexpected he took a long time there. She heard him murmuring about being unable to find that certain book and she looked down and saw that she was holding that certain book he was trying to find. The book was not popular nor mainstream, but was fill with depth and emotions. She had once, as a little child whom loved reading, recommended it to Myungsoo and it then became their favourite book. 

She stared at the transfer student once more," No... It couldn't be....". She decided that rather than dwelling on his identity now she should first pass the book to him. So she just walked to him and tapped on his shoulder. "Er......"

Myungsoo POV
Haish. Why are girls so irritating. They barely know me and yet they start asking for my phone number. I shall go to the library to avoid them.

-At the Library-
Whew, finally none of them are in sight anymore. Hmmm what can I do for the time being? Oh! Iknow what book I should read! I walked towards the English fiction corner of the library, then I started to browse through the books. " GRE.... Where is the book? I can't find the book, did someone lend it already? "
I murmured. All of a sudden, someone tapped gently on my shoulders. 

"Er......" I turned around and saw this girl whom was holding the book that I wanted! I kept staring at the book, wondering whether she was done with it already. " Here. Is this the book that you're looking for? ", this girl said in a rather gentle and somewhat familiar tone. I nodded my head, my eyes not leaving the book. She passed to the book to me and it was then that I jerked up my head to look at the girl. She was plain looking, with braids and big misted glasses. " Thank you! " I said with a smile, while she smiled back at me. I was slightly stunned as I didn't know that her smile would be so....beautiful? I could somewhat see the big crescent eyes she hid behind her glasses. 

Without a word, the girl left. She looked so.....familiar. Looking down at the book, the ends of my lips curled up again.

Narrator POV
-Flashback-
"Myungsoo ah!", the young So Eun shouted as she ran towards the then 10 years old Myungsoo who was sitting under the tree in the back yard of So Eun's house. Myungsoo lifted his head from a book he was reading and pushed up his spectacles. Yes. He had spectacles.

Myungsoo looked up from his book and flinched at the sight of So Eun's face right in front of him. He blushed a little as he noticed how close they were and how he could see her huge eyes staring back at him.

"Whatcha readin~",chirped So Eun, trying to imitate some unknown accent.

"Well, just this book that I like a lot. Do you want me to read it to you?", Myungsoo said gently.

So Eun beamed and sat beside him, crossing her legs and leaning on his shoulder.

"Once upon a time....." Myungsoo started.

-Flashback Ends-
Holding the book: Tales of Two People, a spinoff by an anonymous writer, Myungsoo recalled back one of his favorite memories of his past. He then thought about the girl who passed the book to him, and unconsciously, a smile tugged at the ends of his lips once again as he say at a corner of the library and began reading the book.

After the weird encounter at the library, So Eun immediately went home. Her cheeks were still slightly tinted pink and she was clutching the books she had tightly.

Once she reached home, she saw a hot pink luggage at the corridor. She knew for instant who was home. Peeking into the living room, she saw her mum and dad hugging a stylish female. Walking into the room, So Eun smiled and opened her arms.

" Welcome home, Jeong"
-End of Chapter-