Moving On

The Unexpected

[5,035 words count]

 

February 7, 2015

3:20 PM

KPOP Daily Office

 

It was seven days before Valentine’s came to the city of Seoul and Minseok had himself typing over those bunch of articles needed to be finished before dusk in his lovely private cubicle at the office. The temperature outside remained cold, the snow had been pouring down onto the streets. He meticulously tapped his fingers on every letter and punctuation stamped at the keyboard in an unusual speed, as a professional journalist he is. He evaded any erratum as possible and carefully picked the most preferable words for his readers.

 

He put his right hand on his temple and rubbed it slow; releasing some of the tensions lingered inside his mind in consequence of the unstoppable assignments. He eyed the article at the screen in front of him before he managed to post it on the website, KPOP Daily. Thought it was pretty much done without any visible flaw, he sent it to the publishing division whose job is doing the last examination and giving some related images so it would look more interesting to read.

 

The sound of mouse clicking emblazoned the air around him concisely. He rested his back and yawned for a while before he started with his next material. He stretched both of his arms up, tried to relax a little bit & saw the yellow sticky note pinned on the top right corner of his computer screen.

 

"4 more to go. Alright, fighting Minseok. Let’s finish them!"

 

He always pinned yellow sticky note on his computer screen as his silent reminder, afraid to miss any material or deadline given to him which automatically had to be done. Sometimes he only has to do ten until twenty materials every day, which is so normal because, oh come on he involved in the KPOP industry where heaps of issue rise to the surface every minute with no one able to withhold them. But the situation was different on that day. Suho, his chief editor, obliged him to have thirty five articles finished in one day due to the approaching Chinese New Year festivity. Yet he decided not to take overtime because, well, Suho was pretty concerned to one of his favorite journalist that he didn’t want to see his eye bags getting thicker. Flirty, isn’t he?

 

Minseok took a deep breath while reading the new material, repeatedly knocking the white minimalist mahogany table with the tip of his ballpoint. It was about BAP comeback teaser for their new upcoming mini album. Interesting much for him, he scrolled it down, trying to digest every word inside the whole new information and analyzed the main point of every paragraph carefully. Ten minutes was enough for him to start typing for the article and put his fingers back on the keyboards, but suddenly someone pulled the neck of his moving chair and backhugged him.

 

“Have you forgotten what the meaning of lunch is?” Kyungsoo put his chin upon his shoulder and pulled Minseok away from the keyboard. He wanted to move back to his previous position, but afraid that Kyungsoo might fall off his chair, so he let his best friend absorbing his body heat instead. Eyes still on the screen while Kyungsoo was waiting the other to reply the question that Minseok had not answered yet.

 

“Nope. Not at all. I just need to have them finish before six or else Suho will definitely tie myself in this chair and cut my stipend this month.” Minseok let the duck pout formed on his mouth, made Kyungsoo chuckling and hugging him a bit tighter.

 

“Oh come on! We got thirty minutes for coffee break and you still have two hours left after that. Besides, our handsome and caring chief editor would never like his favorite journalist get sick, wouldn’t he?” Kyungsoo started to persuade him. Minseok exhaled, thinking about what the other said. Kyungsoo was right by the way, he would put more burdens for everyone if he got sick and absent for several days to recover.

 

“But really, I’m alright without lunch. I just need to double my supper later, ok?” Minseok caressed his hair. And suddely his stomach growled, loud enough to reach the ears of the person behind him.

 

“Snap out of it. Let’s go to the usual café to calm the down the orchestra inside your tummy. I can’t believe I’m babysitting a 22 years old man now, still trying to tell him how important to eat his lunch like he never learn anything from what your mom has said about ‘take care of yourself’. Oh God, stand up!” Minseok was taken aback & quickly stood up.

 

Kyungsoo grabbed his coat and put it on him, like momma who helps her child to get dressed. Minseok inserted both of his arms perfectly inside the sleeves as Kyungsoo instructed and they began to walk out of the office.

 

“Oh wait, my wallet.” Minseok startled as he found nothing but his cellphone inside his jeans’ pocket after they reached the reception area of their office.

 

“Relax, my treat. Hey Sooyoung, wanna join us? Coffee break at Tiffany’s, my treat, back at 4, how does that sound?” Kyungsoo asked to one of the receptionist.

 

“I’m in! I’m in!” and before she stood up from her seat, she told the other person next to her to replace her shift until they came back. She put on her pink coat with fur collar in lightning speed and nonchalantly approached the journalists. Kyungsoo finally leaded them towards the lift while the rest were following behind and pressed the button, waiting for the door lift to open.

 

***

 

3:35 PM

Tiffany’s Café

 

They stepped inside Tiffany’s and looked around the atmosphere. It wasn’t so crowded anyway, probably because the lunch time had actually over from one and a half hour ago. Yes, Minseok’s lunch time was the super late one. All of them placed their orders and then Kyungsoo pointed to the table at the corner, showing them the unoccupied seat. Minseok sat near the window and looked at the running vehicles across the street. The waiter carefully placed the tray on the table and one by one, she put two cups of Cappuccino, a cup of Americano, and unsurprisingly, a plate of three pork steamed buns with mashed potato and salad right beside one of his favorite dishes in front of them.

 

“Thank you.” Minseok smiled to the waiter.

 

“You’re welcome. I’ll be around if you guys need anything more. Enjoy your meal and the coffee.” The waiter let out a small grin and Minseok just nodded.

 

“You have the weirdest food combination I have ever known. I mean, how could you eat mashed potato and salad with those obnoxious buns? Minseokkie, Chinese and European cuisine aren’t match made from heaven, don’t you realize that?” Kyungsoo looked at him in disbelief.

 

“Don’t mock these lovely buns!” Minseok cringed his nose and bit one bun harshly as a sign of slight anger.

 

He continued munching on his lunch while Sooyoung just giggled to her acquaintances. The hot liquid enhanced the heat of their body, keeping them warm until tonight. Suho had arranged more meeting today, that’s why Minseok needed to get all the articles done before six. Deadline was not a surprise for him anymore. He started to be a part of KPOP daily since his first year of college when it offered some internship opportunities. He, together with Kyungsoo, decided to take that because journalistic had been their hidden passion.

 

Kyungsoo was the first to be his friend when he entered the college, both majoring Communication and luckily for them, they handled the interview session well and both ended up as its apprentice. Of course they weren’t directly working with the issues. Their first job was merely serving coffee for the people in the office, being a copy machine guy who had to get ready whenever someone wanted their help, going to the bookstore and buying some stationery which must be available every day at the office, and lastly fulfilling every order the senior tells them to as long as it didn’t come out of the line. It was a hard time for them absolutely, keeping their grades and in the other hand having a rush almost every weekday. Once in a while, they barely have any time to rest their bones on the weekend because their hands were very much needed. Backbreaking, indeed.

 

Kyungsoo ever told him that he was about to give up, but Minseok suggested him to hold that up for a while. He didn’t stop giving his best friend the support that Kyungsoo surely needed. It would be useless for them if they both determined to resign. Luckily, it was three years ago when one of their senior journalists, Suho, was eventually appointed as the new chief editor for the worldwide renowned online KPOP website and therefore, he picked Minseok and Kyungsoo as part of the journalist division as well.

 

They had been chatting happily to each other, enjoying their leisure time. Minseok had done eating and slowly sipped the Cappuccino down to his throat. He sighed a little bit. He never stopped praising how beautiful it is to look at the snow outside, covering every spot when it finally touched the earth. Somehow, it relieved him. He missed his mom and dad so much since he decided to rent an apartment near the campus and tried to live independently. But as much as he missed them, they always spared some of their time to check on their son once in a month. Their handsome, lovely, lively, adorable, cute, oh-so-my-type son. OMG let’s get married!

 

“So. Minseok. Have you… umm… you know.” Kyungsoo was careful in talking his actual mind, trying to precede what was the best words that wouldn’t make him hurt.

 

“Eh? Sorry what did you just say?” Minseok snapped out of his contemplation. Sooyoung started to pay attention to the guys beside her.

 

“It has been almost three years.” And silence decorated the sudden talk. Sooyoung could fell the strange ambience when she saw the expression on Minseok’s face.

 

“Is there anything you guys haven’t told me yet? Why is it suddenly getting weird? Minseok, something to say?” She couldn’t hide her curiosity any longer.

 

“No, Sooyoung. It’s nothing. Kyungsoo please, stop bringing that up. I beg you, plus I’m not as desperate as you think, at least for now.”

 

“None of those words you said is true, isn’t it? Minseok, I’ve been your best friend before and after the breakup-“

 

“What breakup? Minseok broke up with someone? Who?” Sooyoung cut him off and Kyungsoo personally gave his best shut-the--up gaze to her.

 

“I told you I’m alright. I am now focusing myself with my job and making my family proud to know that their son is able to catch his dream job. Let bygones be bygones. I don’t want to live in my past and just so you know, it was the best decision for both of us. I don’t want to be his obstacle. I’m sure he’s on the better state right now and I’m happy for him. So please, Kyungsoo. I hope this is the last time we talk about this.” Minseok didn’t have the courage to stare at his best friend. He the circle edge of his cup as he tried to calm his emotion.

 

“Best decision for both of you, or for him only? If that’s what you think then, have you recognized sometimes how Suho has been putting his eyes on you? We both know that for sure.” Sooyoung widened her eyes after she heard what Kyungsoo said. She never thought that the chief editor had a crush on him.

 

“We are mere coworkers, no more than that. He’s been so nice to me since the day we became apprentice, so I apparently try to pay him back.”

 

“After he said that you’re his favorite journalist? After so many times he offered to take you back on your apartment? After so many times he treated you lunch? Even dinner when the others had gone home after the office hours ended. And still you reckon him as your ‘mere coworker’? If you really intend to move on from Luhan, you would certainly see all of that. Isn’t everything I said clear enough for you?” Kyungsoo just did his long rebuttal.

 

“Luhan? I think I know that name from somewhere.” Sooyoung mumbled and scratched her non itchy scalp. “WAIT A SECOND! You don’t say it’s him right?” She glared back to Kyungsoo.

“The one from EXO? How did they meet, I mean… When were they… You’re not kidding me, right?” she whispered carefully to him so Minseok couldn’t catch what she was talking. And Kyungsoo nodded. Sooyoung gasped from the response. She tried to close and gave a look to Minseok. The guy had already buried his face in his folded hands. She got up from her seat and moved beside him.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“It’s alright. I’m just getting tired with the deadline.” Minseok muttered to them. “These past few days have been pretty much backbreaking. But yeah, I’m okay.” He unfolded his hands, then went back to look at Kyungsoo.

 

“Tell me now. You’ve never told me the reason why.” There was a gap before Minseok tried to come up with a brief and convincing explanation, so his best friend wouldn’t talk about that any further.

 

“It’s just, I haven’t found any way out of it, and yeah. I know there, at least one way to make it settled. It’s about time, believe me. I just haven’t yet to find the way.”

 

“Or you simply don’t want to get out. Am I right or am I right?” It knocked him down. He didn’t know what to say no more. No, he didn’t want to release any single tear nor even erase the memory.

 

“What should I do? Three years and I’m still waiting.”

 

***

 

February 14, 2012.

10:10PM

Seoul Amusement Park

 

“Baobei, are you okay?” Minseok was aghast when Luhan gently patted his shoulder, looked at him curiously.

 

“Oh yeah. Sorry, where are we up to?” Luhan just gave him his angelic smile. He received the popcorn bag after he paid it and then handed it to Minseok, while both of his hands trying to hold two plastic cups of their favorite, Cappuccino and white puffy heart-shaped cotton candy stick in his left hand grip.

 

“Come on, let’s go find an empty bench before the others have it.” By ‘the others’ Luhan said were the thousands couple including them who were gathered inside the super crowded amusement park that night.

 

They gallivanted around to find an empty bench that would be enough for them to sit. The center of the amusement park was filled with couples and their stuffs when they reached there, still looking for every spot who wasn’t occupied. They saw everyone was cheering out, chattering to each other, kids running here and everywhere, even Minseok noticed some of the couples were doing lovey dovey s and so. Merry Go Round couldn’t stop turning around and the red lights embellished every track they took. Of course it was red; everyone knew red expressed romance. But, was it red? Did Minseok feel red that night?

 

After ten minutes long, Minseok viewed a couple got up from their seat and without any hesitation, he leaded his boyfriend to the empty spot. They finally sat down and Luhan gave Minseok one of the Cappuccino. It was winter in Seoul, Minseok shivered a little bit from the bone-chilling temperature despite of the layered outfit and beige-colored jacket he had worn. He blew his gloves, hoping to capture his inner body heat and then pasted it on his cheeks.

 

“I should tell him right now, before I have no more chance later.”

 

“Bhaofbhei,” Minseok turned his face to the direction where the voice came out, “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

 

Minseok’s eyes widened when the white puffy cotton candy showed up right on his face. Later on, Luhan hid it behind his back and smiled at him with cotton bites on his delicate mouth.

 

“Whuntzz shome?” Minseok chuckled at his action and the adorable expression his boyfriend made.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Ougghft whoahfei, come ohhwn.” Luhan juxtaposed his mouth to him. Minseok bashfully put his palms on Luhan’s cheeks and soon their lips collided. The soft skins tasted so sweet when the sugar inside their mouth turned into glutinous liquid that garnished the kiss, pictured how passionate their relationship was. Luhan lightly moaned and parted their lips tentatively, gave them seconds to breathe and take a look at each other’s eyes before they connect their kiss again. It was such a precious time for both of them because they were separated right after their final year of high school ended.

 

Luhan was an SM trainee since the first year when he was spotted shopping in Myeongdong on the weekend by SM representative. (Dating with Minseok to be honest) He did hesitate at first because he never wanted to be music performer, but Minseok knew he can dance and his vocal skill was not that bad, “so why don’t you just give it a shot?” and his life turned upside down after that. He must attended the training schedule after school almost every day, when he knew he still had to keep his grade in balance otherwise his parents would directly bring him back to Beijing. They only had few times for dating afterwards, and by dating, Minseok came over to his apartment and taught him all the lessons he was lagging behind or he couldn’t understand. Moreover, Minseok also took care of him every time he felt sick; light fever most of the time. So he felt grateful to have such caring and understanding boyfriend who, by far, had not stopped supporting him when in several times he was about to give up.

 

“Hihihi. Sweet.” Minseok grinned towards him.

 

“I love you. Wǒ ài nǐ. Saranghae. Aieru.-“ the love expression in every language filled Luhan’s thought.

 

“Hahaha, stop!” Minseok looked at him giggling.

 

“Je t’aime. Ich liebe dich. Ti amo. Aku cinta kamu, umm what more?”

 

“Me too.” He pecked Luhan on his lip again, tried to stop his sweet nothing.

 

“More than you ever know.” He stared at him with his lovely deer eyes. He intertwined their fingers and gently brushed the soft skin. Both sipped at their coffee again, which was getting a little colder. Luhan put the Cappuccino on the little space between them and fed his boyfriend with the caramel popcorn, he could feel his thumb and pointing finger wet from his most favorite lip ever, so intriguing. MY MOST FAVORITE LIP EVER GAWD!!!

 

“Stop being extremely mushy. It’s killing me.” Minseok cringed his nose in such a cute way, made the other couldn’t stop loving him more and more.

 

“AHAHAHAHA. It’s you who make me like this.” He stole some seconds to pinch his adorable cheek. Minseok sometimes hated when people thought how adorable his cheeks were that they started to hardly pinch them and the only thing left was red bruise imprinted on it. But Luhan was his exception, his only exception.

 

“And oh, you don’t forget about something right?” Luhan tried to take his cellphone out of his trousers’ pocket and the photo from their first date in Hongdae peeped out.

“Happy anniversary, Minseokkie. Forever my baozi. Three years and still counting. I love you!” Minseok had rested his head on Luhan’s shoulder while looking at the screen. It showed how he hugged him tight and Luhan s his hand on his waist.

 

"It was such a beautiful memory.” Minseok murmured to his own thought. “God, help me. It’s going to be very hard. I don’t want to make him upset."

 

“Baobei, why are you crying?” Luhan suddenly noticed the tears. Minseok merely shook his head and wiped the tears with the sleeve of his coat.

 

“Attention for all the visitors. Once again, attention for all the visitors. To celebrate Valentine’s Day, we have prepared a special show tonight. The fireworks party will begin in fifteen minutes, please gather yourself now in the central courtyard. I repeat, in the central courtyard. Enjoy the show and thank you for visiting.” End of the announcement.

 

“You heard that? We already got a great spot here! I wonder where it’ll come up from.” Luhan had his eyes wandering all over the place nearby, looked for the place where would the fireworks be set. People began to fill the venue and it was getting more crowded. Minseok couldn’t get out of his mind and exhaled deeply.

 

"Minseok, you can do this. It’s better to be hurt right now than later. It’s the right decision both of you and Luhan, of course. Stop thinking to yourself."

 

“Luhan,” he let his grip tighter, “we have to break up.” Minseok finally had much courage inside himself to tell him those words.

 

“Sorry Minseokkie, I can’t hear you. Too many people here right now. What were you trying to say?” Luhan brought his near close to his mouth.

 

“I said, we have to break up.” Luhan was taken aback after he heard what Minseok said. He loosened up the grip, looked at the other questioningly. The cheering sound and loud chatters around them were abandoned after those words came out from the person he loved the most. Minseok blankly stared at his coffee, afraid to meet with his face. Minseok kept reassuring himself that that would not take much time, Luhan would still be okay without him and his career later would be much brighter without him trying to interfere. He was very sure Luhan would move on easily and someday when the dating ban was finally dismissed by the company, he would find himself someone way much better than him. Nothing to worry about. Yes, nothing to worry about.

 

“Minseok, tell me has everything happened to you? Or us? Why did you mumble some peculiar words? April Fool is two months later, you know that right? Please, this isn’t the right time to throw a joke. It’s Valentine’s Day, baobei.” Luhan laughed insincerely. Minseok closed his eyes before he told him everything.

 

“Luhan, listen. This maybe the last time we got to spend together. You’re going to debut in few more days, right? I saw your teaser and I am so happy to know that all those pains and hard works you have endured for almost four years will finally be paid. I will not stop supporting you, I won’t, I promise. Even though later we barely have any time to meet each other and… and we can’t talk every day as much as we want. I’m so proud of how handsome and dazzling you are right now, they’ve been transforming you very well until this point and fortunately your heart haven’t changed at all….”

 

“Minseok….”

 

“Luhan, you’re going to be a great performer, I’m a hundred percent sure. And me too, I am about to be a journalist sooner. They already chose me as a part of the division. With the super tight schedule you and I will have later, I start to think that…. perhaps we need some space to focus more on our job. You didn’t do any harm to me, Luhan, nor did even something odd happen to me that I decide to talk about this. This thing between us.”

 

“Minseok, stop.”

 

“You may think it’s one-sided decision. But I think this is the best for both of us. I don’t want to be your obstacle Lu, I don’t want to be the one to disturb your mind anymore. I’m sure you’ll be better without me. You know it really sounds cliché, right?” Minseok breathed, “but I’m just talking the truth and I’m very sorry that I’ve got to realize this by now. Luhan, I don’t mean to hurt your feeling. I really don’t. But I’m afraid we can’t even be together too if we force this feeling further.”

 

“Did someone talk to you about the dating ban?” Luhan was still gazing coldly to the stoned path.

 

“No. I was able to know about that by myself. And it is more than just that. Lu, trust me. It will be better. Everything will be so much better. I know you’re strong, without even telling me. I… Maybe, I need to stop talking now. I’ve been talking too much already.”

 

“10……….. 9......... 8……….. 7……………” the fireworks party was about to begin. People counted down the seconds left together. They both still had their fingers intertwined and there was nothing left to be spoken.

 

“3…………. 2………… 1…………. Happy Valentine’s Day!” Fireworks were popping in the air; each proceeded, mesmerizing every people’s eye there. Except for them, unfortunately. Luhan saw Minseok looked above the colorful sky, failed to hold back his tears. Minseok smiled at him then landed soft kiss again.

 

“I got to go. I can go home by myself, don’t you worry.” He hugged Luhan for the last time on that day.

“Hey Lulu……. I love you.” Said him with watery eyes and walked away from that place. Luhan kept thinking if he had done something wrong to him, but no words came out from his mouth. He just didn’t know what to say.

 

“Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!” He muttered to himself. When he tried to called Minseok back, he knew the person was nowhere to be seen anymore. The fireworks had not stopped, in fact, more and more were set to the air. The red lights dominated the sky above him. They say red expressed romance, but what had happened that day for Minseok was absolutely black.

 

***

 

4:15 PM

Tiffany’s Café

 

Minseok still remembered a lot of text messages and missed calls he received on the next day. From Luhan, who else? But he never answered any of them. It was the last time they got in touch. Luhan had his debut as the part of EXO few days later, positioned himself as the main dancer. If only you could imagine how happy Minseok to see him appeared on TV for the first time, to follow up his burgeoning career, and how he could see the smile plastered on the faces of the rookie boy band. If you could imagine how weird his best friend when Kyungsoo caught him spazzing all over KPOP website to catch any of their update every hour, every minute, and every second. Minseok told the whole breakup story to Kyungsoo anyway, because everyone needed a shoulder to cry on, anger to be released out, or even vituperate himself for the hundred times about how depressing he thought it was.

 

“Why don’t you open your heart for someone else? I mean, it’s not impossible that Luhan now already have someone new. You know that OTP obsession made by the fans? So,….” Kyungsoo tried to ignite the conversation again.

 

“I’m afraid I will hurt another feeling. I cannot forget how Luhan was…. hurt so badly, thanks to myself. Very, I mean, yeah.” Minseok finally spoke again.

 

“It is so depressing to me to look how desperate you are every time the Valentine’s Day is about to come up. Don’t you still remember how you begged me to spend the special day together yesteryear and you ended up watching old DVDs in my apartment, sleeping on my hard couch, and EHEM…” Kyungsoo cleared his throat, “sorry for the noises. He just… umm… did me…. hard.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and shrugged. Of course Jongin is a BEAST LMAO

 

“Kyungsoo!!! I can’t believe you clearly said that out to me.” Sooyoung and Minseok laughed out loud and Kyungsoo bit his lower lip and blushed in no time. The atmosphere was getting more comfortable between them. One by one, they took the last sip of their coffee.

 

“Okay, back in topic. So Minseok, I don’t want to look how pathetic you gonna be this year and listen. If by any chance, Suho asks you for a date. Please, just say yes and get to know him better. Give him a chance! I’m pretty much sure he could be your “someone better”. Got the point?”

 

“Alright, alright. But if he doesn’t, don’t force him to be! I know that parseltongue of yours can be so persuasive.”

 

“Indeed.” Sooyoung be the last one who probably ended up the chat when Minseok’s eyes widened after he looked at his watch.

 

“God dammit, Kyungsoo it’s four thirty! Oh, we should’ve not talked about this earlier. , I still have four materials, Jesus Christ!” they hurried up; put their coats on and Kyungsoo swiftly paid the bill.

 

“Sorry.” Was the only word he said after they stepped out from the café and walked in lightning speed. Running to be more detailed. They finally stood in front of the lift and Minseok pushed its button, the doors immediately opened. Before he went back to the cubicle, the woman who replaced Sooyoung’s shift before held him up. Minseok panted hard after the brief yet simple cardio workout.

 

“Minseok ssi, one of SM representative, Im Hyun Kyun, has called the office and privately wants to arrange a meeting with you on February 13th at 11:00 PM. I have relayed this information to Mr. Kim. KPOP daily got the chance to receive some exclusive teasers for one of its group’s upcoming comeback. We have not been told which one; they will inform us during the meeting. I think that is all. Mr. Kim told me, you can ask him for further detail.”

 

“Oh, ok. Thanks for that. I gotta get back.” Minseok was confused a little bit.

 

"Whose comeback will it be? SNSD just did it at the beginning of this year. Super Junior did 6 months ago and Shinee is expected to do it this month. F(x)? EXO? Wait, even if it’s EXO, of course I won’t meet him. I probably meet the public relation person. Oh right Minseok, deadline!"

 

“Bye bye Minseokkie!” Sooyoung said to him before the other dashed inside. Minseok replied her with a smile then he sighed heavily, trying to get his mind cleared.

 

To be continued..............

 

 

 

P.S.

The italic words are the words from Minseok's mind. 

This one is my screaming self-conscius LOL

Please comment whether you like it or not. I hope the plot doesn't seem so classic.

I appreciate every comment and critic towards this story, thanks!