2/2 Brightest Smile

Imprisoned by a Promise

Yongguk couldn’t resist but to follow the 6 year old Kyungsoo to his home, a minute without seeing the kid really made him insane. He doesn’t know why, he doesn’t know how but all he wants is to see the smiling doe eyed boy every freaking time of his life, every second, every breath. Outside his territory, Yongguk is nothing but thin air of nothingness, he can see but others can’t see him, no one can hear him, no one can touch him, he’s just some thin breeze of air outside his lair.

The demon watched as the little ball of sunshine skip from stone to stone, avoiding the cracks and garbage lazily lying on the stone pavement, Yongguk found it cute, he wanted to hug the small kid again like what he did earlier but as he tries to do it, his hand just passed through him, nobody can touch him and also he can’t touch anything, no matter how hard he wants to do it.

With a sigh he kept on following the kid. The kid was surprisingly brave, despite how dark was already he still walked through the murky alleys with a smile on his face, and also a hum that he learned from the carnival that Yongguk led him earlier. Yongguk smiled at the sight, Kyungsoo was really innocent, naïve and all. He was like a taintless piece of diamond, a very precious one for Yongguk.

The elder froze from his position when all of a sudden Kyungsoo ran. He quickly followed him towards a bush that the kid suddenly disappeared too. He stuck his head inside the bush only to see Kyungsoo petting a small puppy, a light brown one. He watched them as the kid cautiously pet the puppy with his little hands, it was a cute sight, really.

Kyungsoo took the puppy and hugged it tight. Giggling, he went towards the road again to go home. Yongguk still followed him, he wanted to look at him till he enters his own house. After a heck of minute of walking, the house finally appeared behind the houses of their neighbours.

When Kyungsoo finally entered the house, a smile formed on Yongguk’s face, he’s satisfied that Kyungsoo did not encounter and trouble along the way. With a bit bright face, Yongguk left the lawn and went back to his own temple, promising that he’ll do this kind of action to sate the hunger swirling inside his stomach.

Years had already passed and this stalking action had already become Yongguk’s unusual habits. 12 years had already passed but the feeling of wanting to hug the male had never faded, but only intensified more and had already became a form of obsession. These past years Kyungsoo seems to forgot about their promise and Yongguk was really sad about it, he, not even one bit, forgotten about that faithful day where they exchanged vows, but it seems that humans hold promises more lighter while demons value promises and contracts more than their life.

Even though the promise seemed to have been already broken, Yongguk’s unknown feelings for the kid never ended, but it old grew more and more, Yongguk doesn’t know why but ever since they met he couldn’t stop thinking about the human kid.

Love between a demon and human? Yes it’s possible IF only the demon made the human a demon like him. There are various of ways to make a human like him, by ritual, by blood, or just simply pledge, like what they do in weddings. Demons don’t care if you love a male or a female, all they needed to know is that your spouse should be a demon like them if they found out that he/she’s not one like them, they would easily eat the human’s consciousness and life ending with a soulless and lifeless body of a human.

But, even though Yongguk was selfish enough to think of turning the male like them, he can’t , he can’t destroy his life, he can’t erase all the things that Kyungsoo nurtured these past years, he can’t make Kyungsoo like them because Kyungsoo was too innocent and precious for him, he doesn’t want to taint the clear diamond Kyungsoo.

Yongguk was doing his ‘habit’ again, staring at Kyungsoo who is now already a very handsome man, towards his school. During these past years Yongguk never entered Kyungsoo’s house even though he can for some reason he doesn’t know, maybe to give the other guy privacy? But a little peek wouldn’t hurt right?

And with that thought, Yongguk finally decided to enter Kyungsoo’s territory or house.

Night had already fallen again and Yongguk was staring at Kyungsoo’s house for a minute now. People walking on the pavement just walks through him not that Yongguk can feel it. With a soft sigh, he fixed his top hat and smile – even though no one can see him – and entered the house of Kyungsoo.

When he passed through the door, he realized how dark the place is. Yongguk walked a few more steps and was about to pass the kitchen when he heard a loud noise inside it, curious he entered the said kitchen. There he saw Kyungsoo, kneeling on the ground. The fridge was open and was the only source of light there, he turned a bit and saw a lady with an age somewhere around 30 – 40, holding a metallic baton.

“You insolent fool!!! I told you not to bring that bull inside the house!!” She shrieked as she lay a hit on Kyungsoo again. Kyungsoo gasped from the hit and coughed out blood, his hand fell on the broken glasses in front of him, making it bleed. Yongguk’s eyes widened at the sight, how can a human treat a human like this? Even demons don’t treat their own kin like this. Yongguk ran towards Kyungsoo was about to protect him from another blow from the witch, but as expected it just went passed through him and succeeding on hitting the poor 18 year old on the head. Kyungsoo didn’t budge from the hit, he seemed to be protecting something. He looked below and saw something that almost made him choke. It was a kitten, a small fragile kitten whimpering and cold; it seemed to be drenched in water.

Kyungsoo was protecting an innocent kitten from his … mother? Auntie? He bit his lips as the action continues in front of him, that detestable action which was caused by a human. A human, Yongguk can’t believe a human can do this, she was way too horrible than any demons that Yongguk know.

In the stories of the humans, Demons are seen to be evil creatures lurking in the dark waiting for their prey – which are humans – to appear so that they’ll eat them. Various kinds of stories about how they should fear demons were created by humans, it was nothing but lies for a demon’s perspective but they just ignored it since humans only believe what they wanted to believe, for short, humans are very closed minded creature walking on the earth.

Yongguk turned away as his stomach couldn’t handle the sight anymore. He heard metal hitting something, he can hear the cat’s whimper, he can hear the shifting of the glasses below Kyungsoo, he can hear laughter from the woman, but not even once did he hear Kyungsoo’s cry, not once.

How can a fragile Kyungsoo, a very innocent Kyungsoo bit all his cries? He thought that Kyungsoo was a very weak man, a man who can’t live without latching to someone and being a parasite, like a son who always clings to his mother, something like that. But this Kyungsoo that Yongguk was seeing now was completely different, he’s very different.

He bit his lips – to the point that it’s already bleeding – just to keep his cries inside him, and what’s more surprising is that he’s smiling, he’s smiling like nothing was happening to him. The feeling inside him turned into rage, he was boiling inside in deep anger, he wanted to kill the lady in front of him, he wanted to save Kyungsoo from this treatment, and he wanted to touch him. But, he can’t …. He can’t.

Minutes had already passed and Kyungsoo was just lying on the floor, coughing blood here and there. Life was slowly seeping out of him, his skin turning into a much paler color. The room was still dark and the only light was coming from the fridge beside the dying Kyungsoo. Yongguk knelt in front of him, he remember the kid Kyungsoo who was full of light and energy, happiness and positivity, but now the Kyungsoo in front of him was utterly different, he was now lying on the cold floor, fragments of the glass just around him, wounding his beautiful skin.

Yongguk reached out for him, he wanted to touch him again, but he stopped when a voice squeaked out from the male. “A-ajussi?” Kyungsoo asked, his voice was obviously shaking and weak but Kyungsoo tried his best to make it as lively as he can. Yongguk froze on his place, how could have Kyungsoo see him? Oh right, when human is about to die, they can see everything, it was like their third eye opens forcefully to make the dying human more aware even just for a short amount of time, but that short amount of time was enough for Yongguk.

“K-kiddo…” His voice was weak, hurt with a dash of all the negative emotion you can think of. Miraculously, his hand didn’t passed through Kyungsoo, he finally touched the male again, after 12 years, he touched that ball of cuteness again, the male he longed for. “I’m right here Kyungsoo …” He whispered again. Kyungsoo looked at his face with half lidded eyes, his lips were covered with blood, his face showed signs of abuse, Yongguk can feel lumps under Kyungsoo’s heavy clothing. Yongguk started to wonder, since when did this kind of abuse started? He can’t answer his own question because he never saw Kyungsoo cry nor wince nor limped.

“A-ajussi, i-I’m sorry that I broke our promise …” A soft whisper escaped from the quivering lips of the man, Yongguk leaned closer, his forehead touching the younger one. “it’s okay … it’s okay.” Yongguk can sense that Kyungsoo’s slowly dying, he can feel it. “I’m sorry to make you wait Ajussi, I’m really sorry.” Kyungsoo for the first time shed a tear, a small innocent tear crossed his blood stained cheeks. “Yes … I do waited for so long just to see you again, to touch you but you never came.” Yongguk said.

Kyungsoo let out a painful short laugh before mumbling again. “I’m sorry Ajussi, but … as you see right now, I can’t really make things right anymore … “ A tear once again fell from his eyes. Kyungsoo’s tears were really precious. Those years that he was being tortured by his relatives weren’t enough to make him shed a tear, but now, why is he shedding one? Yongguk softly ran his fingers on Kyungsoo’s hair, he was humming a soft tune, a very sad one. Kyungsoo smiled with eyes closed as he listen to that beautiful melody. Death was slowly draining Kyungsoo away from Yongguk, and he can’t let that happen.

“Kyungsoo, do you want to spend eternity with me? Just the two of us inside that beautiful carnival like what we did when you’re just 6?” Yongguk asked, a bit hasty since Kyungsoo’s breathe became really irregular.

Kyungsoo was confused from those words, but he nodded, a very slow nod. With that affirmation Yongguk smiled and leaned closer. “Do Kyungsoo, you will become Yongguk’s other half, his other life, his other self. Will you promise that you’ll never leave Yongguk’s side ever again?” He asked the dying man inside his arms. Kyungsoo chuckled quite painfully before muttering a soft. “Yes.”

“With that yes, our contract will forever link us together, that promise will chain our interest and hearts forever together, Kyungsoo, you and I are now imprisoned by a promise, … “ Yongguk leaned closer till only an inch was left between their lips. “I love you Kyungsoo, live for me.” With that he finally kissed the dying male.

Kyungsoo died, his body as a human died, withered and turned into a dust. His memory from the people around him also disappeared, nothing was left, no Kyungsoo was born in the earth, and no one remembers a male named Kyungsoo, only Yongguk do. Kyungsoo was reborn into a demon like himself, life once again returned from his now new body to live with Yongguk forever.

With linked hands, they both walked on the same pathway again like what they just did the past 12 years. Yongguk was smiling as the younger male was comfortably hugging him sideways. A human or a demon, Yongguk doesn’t care all he wanted was a guy named Kyungsoo beside him, his smile making the said carnival more beautiful and exciting.

The carnival will continue to entertain guest, but now not only Yongguk will welcome you, a demon named Kyungsoo will be beside him, welcoming anyone with  the brightest smile they can ever see in the world, a smile formed by promises and contracts and … especially love.




 

 

*FInish finally!! i will update KrisYeol fanfic tomorrow~~

please comment !!!